• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

AniHawk

Just finished this game today. The sequel is now one of my most anticipated games of the year. Besides the Zero Escape games which I enjoyed just as much, are there any other similar games of this quality? Or are these pretty much the best examples of the genre.

not sure what you've played, but of translated games, you may enjoy the phoenix wright/ace attorney games. they're a lot sillier in general, but have many serious moments. ghost trick is also really good and made by the creator of ace attorney.

the only other one i've played was hotel dusk. it's really really dry. you're basically a detective investigating a hotel for an entire night. it's easily the most grounded of all visual novels i've played. i remember enjoying it when it came out, but that might have been only for its atmosphere.

Acosta

Kyoko lost her innocence the moment she chose to do nothing to prevent the execution of Makoto imo, in a certain sense she is not that different from Junko, she was ready to sacrifice people for her purpose.

I disagree with this. In my view, is not that Kyoko sacrificed Makoto, but Makoto sacrificed himself for Kyoko, the rest, and the memories of the gone ones.

Let´s be honest here, while Makoto receives lots of pats in his back along the game, the whole reason the group is not dead at that point is thanks to the "Ultimate Detective". Kyoko didn't sacrifice Makoto because at the end it was him the one to chose to believe Kyoko no matter what, even if that meant risking his own life.

There was no hope with Kyoko gone, that's the bad ending after all. I won't deny that Kyoko is kinda obsessed (like most the Ultimates) and was sometimes more interested in the case that in helping the group at some points, so it´s not like she is a saint or a genuinely good guy like Makoto, but I don't feel this makes her guilty of anything.

not sure what you've played, but of translated games, you may enjoy the phoenix wright/ace attorney games. they're a lot sillier in general, but have many serious moments. ghost trick is also really good and made by the creator of ace attorney.

the only other one i've played was hotel dusk. it's really really dry. you're basically a detective investigating a hotel for an entire night. it's easily the most grounded of all visual novels i've played. i remember enjoying it when it came out, but that might have been only for its atmosphere.

I've dabbled in Phoenix Wright and hotel dusk. I probably prefer the goofiness of something like Phoenix Wright but Ghost Trick looks like something I'd really like. Was on my radar ages ago but I kind of lost interest in the DS at that point. Might be good to play on 3DS now.

dan2026

I actually kind of like it that apart for Makoto, there isn't really another completely selfless and/or 100% well intentioned character in the game. Except for maybe Chihiro.

Its all shades of grey.

I actually kind of like it that apart for Makoto, there isn't really another completely selfless and/or 100% well intentioned character in the game. Except for maybe Chihiro.

Its all shades of grey.

Ishimaru?

Well, I guess you could count his vote in the second trial selfish and stupid...

Makes you wonder who he actually voted against :lol. Probably himself.

Its all shades of grey.

Makoto, Sakura, Chihiro, and Kiyotaka are all "good" characters. And Kyoko is well intentioned throughout and is never really what I'd call selfish.

Kiyotaka i'll give you, but Sakura was working with the enemy for at least part of the story,

True, though it doesn't seem like she did anything significant for Junko until she was asked to kill someone. The game doesn't really give us any real dirt on Sakura. And her death is supposed to come off as a heroic sacrifice.

PK Gaming

I disagree with this. In my view, is not that Kyoko sacrificed Makoto, but Makoto sacrificed himself for Kyoko, the rest, and the memories of the gone ones.

Let´s be honest here, while Makoto receives lots of pats in his back along the game, the whole reason the group is not dead at that point is thanks to the "Ultimate Detective". Kyoko didn't sacrifice Makoto because at the end it was him the one to chose to believe Kyoko no matter what, even if that meant risking his own life.

There was no hope with Kyoko gone, that's the bad ending after all. I won't deny that Kyoko is kinda obsessed (like most the Ultimates) and was sometimes more interested in the case that in helping the group at some points, so it´s not like she is a saint or a genuinely good guy like Makoto, but I don't feel this makes her guilty of anything.

Right

Not to mention that Kyoko saved his life thrice over (connecting Alter Ego to the network, directly preventing Junko from shanking Makoto and retrieving him from the trash pit)

If you ask me, she was primary source of hope for 90% of the game imo.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ugh, Rei No Otaku's avatar is a giant spoiler. At least most people who started the game have completed it by now.

Yeah... haha. Well, as long as no one else says anything about it.

I mean, mine is a spoiler too, but it's so subtle that you'd really have to know about it.

Byakuya feels like a wasted character for me. You can't have him be that evil the entire game and NOT give us the chance to take him down in amazing fashion. Him being wrong about a case doesn't count.

I'm sure he would have once the risks had gone down, but I think he knew the risks were too high in the beginning with Kyoko hanging around...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is there a list of the best ways to spend tickets in school mode?

But Junko's goal was to break everybody's minds! Perhaps you could say, 'well, they'd both sacrifice others to achieve their goals', but when one's goal is simply "drive everybody mad" and the other goal is "Survive, and reveal the plot where we all die", I think they cease being comparable in badness. Besides, Kyoko fully acknowledged that she fucked up, went down after Makoto, and gambled with her life and Makoto's to get Monokuma to agree to the final battle. And I don't think you can say "Well, she could've tried harder" against her - a, she's shackled because there was literally no other possible suspect for the crime at the time since it was a rigged trial, and secondly she was rigged by game design concerns to make Makoto do everything.

Also, her 'sacrifice' relied on Makoto sacrificing himself.

I mean, the big difference even in their examples of sacrifice is that one was unnecessary while the other was forced. Kyoko would save Makoto if she could. Junko kills Mukuro because lulz.

Maybe you forget that Makoto survived for pure luck, if Makoto wasn't the ultimate lucky student but something else probably he would have died, and without him everyone would have lost their hope in the end.

Makoto covered Kyoko because he foolishly believed in her, after the judgment he expected her to say something and he proclaimed his innocence till the end, i don't consider this a real sacrifice.
Anyway sacrifice or not Kyoko should have tried harder, Monokuma was easily manipulable, i bet she could have said something convincing. I'm not saying that she should have sacrificed herself or that she should have successfully saved Makoto, but at least she should have tried something!

Makoto covered Kyoko, got executed, but luckily survived, now you tell me that Kyoko was a good girl because she helped Makoto? That was really the minimum! There was nothing really good in doing that!

Viridian6

What's that line Genocide Jill uses in her "angry pose"? Sounds like "you exo-fiend". Been trying to make it out for a while now.

Tizoc

Oh yeah I'm pretty sure there's info to refute this but I just wanted to post it:
Toko is not Genocide Jack. Whether Genocide Jack is real or not (in case of the latter, it could be some urban legend or whatever), Toko's split personality might've been inspired by Genocide Jack.
At best, she MIGHT be related to Genocide Jack.

IMO Genocide Jack was Mukuro and/or Junko.

True, though it doesn't seem like she did anything significant for Junko until she was asked to kill someone. The game doesn't really give us any real dirt on Sakura. And her death is supposed to come off as a heroic sacrifice.

Thinking of that Sakura as the mole really was wasted effort. I guess the whole point of it was to cause distrust among the group (which I imagine three murders should have already done it by now).

She doesn't ever come close to killing anyone or even attempts to throw off the investigations in anyway. She never needs to leak information since Junko sees everything anyway. I mean the biggest chance she probably gets is about Alter Ego but the whole gang basically blabs about it in the open anyway making that a moot point.

Sorian

Banned
Oh yeah I'm pretty sure there's info to refute this but I just wanted to post it:
Toko is not Genocide Jack. Whether Genocide Jack is real or not (in case of the latter, it could be some urban legend or whatever), Toko's split personality might've been inspired by Genocide Jack.

I completely disagree with you but stranger things have happened, what makes you feel this way?

Thinking of that Sakura as the mole really was wasted effort. I guess the whole point of it was to cause distrust among the group (which I imagine three murders should have already done it by now).

She doesn't ever come close to killing anyone or even attempts to throw off the investigations in anyway. She never needs to leak information since Junko sees everything anyway. I mean the biggest chance she probably gets is about Alter Ego but the whole gang basically blabs about it in the open anyway making that a moot point.

It's useless to think of her as a mole the way Byakuya described one as. Her one and only job was to kill if the game became stagnant and it never did, she was never asked to throw them off the trail or anything like that and she didn't seem like that type that wanted to. She died thinking that her dojo was under hostage which wasn't the case at all but she was only doing the bare minimum to appease the madman pulling the strings.

Tizoc

I completely disagree with you but stranger things have happened, what makes you feel this way?

Mainly because the other personality is called Genocide Jill and how no one takes her too seriously. If anything it's just a nagging suspicion.

Sorian

Banned
Mainly because the other personality is called Genocide Jill and how no one takes her too seriously. If anything it's just a nagging suspicion.

Unfortunately, that just ends up being the translation team having fun. In japanese the serial killer's name was Genocider Syo and there was no clever name swap when it was discovered that she was female.

Sorian

Banned
Was the machine that killed Mondo meant to make any sense or was it just random craziness?

Someone posted the official description of the execution. The electricity was meant to keep Mondo awake for as much of it as possible. His brain, fat, and skin(?) were what melted to become butter and everything else (bone, muscle, ligaments, etc.) were what became the plastic/rubber substance that made up the tin to hold the butter.

Edit: If that makes it more or less sensical, who knows but it is what it is.

PK Gaming

No, that's wrong

Remember, each of the victims in the Genocide Jack killings were murdered in a particular way. Only the police and the perpetrator were privy to that information (and I guess special individuals like Byakuya and Junko). How would a civilian like Toko know how the murders were committed if she didn't commit them? Furthermore, each of the victims were crucified with a particular set of scissors.

RmSbwJe.jpg

tHsE6ad.jpg

Scissors that were custom made by Genocide Jill herself.

Toko/Genocide Jill is the serial killer, there's no doubt about it.

Pretty sure it's "You S.O.B.!"

YES! I AM AN S.O.B.!

DRAT Episode 4 was amazing. I noticed that whoever voices Byakuya changed the pronunciation of his last name from "toeguhMEE" to "toeGAWmee" like the official localization uses. Coincidence, or correction made in light of the game's English release?

I really hope they eventually make a SDR2 anime so that Faulerro can abridge it <3

DRAT Episode 4 was amazing. I noticed that whoever voices Byakuya changed the pronunciation of his last name from "toeguhMEE" to "toeGAWmee" like the official localization uses. Coincidence, or correction made in light of the game's English release?

Considering he references the Genocider Jack/Jill thing I wouldn't doubt it could be a correction

Mondo does have some vague tiger motif going on there. Or it's just his hair.

Well his execution has those Tigers there for one thing, school mode has another thing related to the tiger motif so there is that.

Beyond that, I don't what else you could take from the tiger motif unless you consider DRAT, who kinda took the tiger motif about Owada and ran with it to the fullest degree. Though considering this is more of parody on this one than cannon, but though it should it be pointed out.

It's a motif sure, but not a prevalent one from what I remember.

Jintor

Makoto covered Kyoko because he foolishly believed in her, after the judgment he expected her to say something and he proclaimed his innocence till the end, i don't consider this a real sacrifice.
Anyway sacrifice or not Kyoko should have tried harder, Monokuma was easily manipulable, i bet she could have said something convincing. I'm not saying that she should have sacrificed herself or that she should have successfully saved Makoto, but at least she should have tried something!

Makoto covered Kyoko, got executed, but luckily survived, now you tell me that Kyoko was a good girl because she helped Makoto? That was really the minimum! There was nothing really good in doing that!

tried what exactly? Monokuma declared the trial over the second it got to a point where it looked like either party was guilty. There was no room to try anything!

Top Bottom