• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

The more I think about this game, the more I realize how really fucked up it is. I mean they were friends in the beginning and they just kill each other just for despair, so sad damn.

PK Gaming

But they said they came out of the womb crying tears of despair....

Junko said that about herself, but I don't think it applies to Mukuru

In fact, even though Mukuru was a part of the "Ultimate Despair" I don't think she herself had the same abnormality as her sister. I think she was just incredibly devoted to her (for whatever reason)

Finally beat the game last night, that was an interesting final chapter to say the least. Had a feeling "Junko" was involved considering the arrows in Chapter 5 and how they went unused (well, outside of club red herring idea).

Not wanting to be spoiled, but does DR2 explain why the world went to hell? It sucked how the game ended just when they opened the door. v_v

dan2026

Explains the meme some. alot of the pictures are hilarious also.

Bwahahaha! this one is awesome.

19ffz3ta7ocmbjpg.jpg

kewlmyc

Finally beat the game last night, that was an interesting final chapter to say the least. Had a feeling "Junko" was involved considering the arrows in Chapter 5 and how they went unused (well, outside of club red herring idea).

Not wanting to be spoiled, but does DR2 explain why the world went to hell? It sucked how the game ended just when they opened the door. v_v
Yes

I think I gained a new appreciation for Mukuro this playthrough of the game. Originally, I just thought she was totally a non-character and was just some bad bitch runnin' round fucking people up, but I guess the fact that I paid more attention to her as Junko this time around in addition to the school mode stuff really started warming me up to her.

I guess I like the fact that she's a character who has a reputation for being incredible at what she does (which she is, when it comes to being a soldier), but then you see her in person attempting to stay undercover and she's just a goof and hilariously incompetent at it, so much so that it leads to her getting unceremoniously offed right at the beginning. I'd like to think the fact that the files found around the school that pinpoint Mukuro as THE Ultimate Despair isn't because Junko hid away files incriminating everyone else, but rather that Mukuro was the only Ultimate Despair bad enough at keeping it a secret to get noticed.

How they'll have to return to the school eventually for the memory cure. Can't remember the specifics, skimmed ahead quickly past that.

That's not a DR2 spoiler, if anything it's a very offhand Zero spoiler that honestly becomes obvious once you start reading it and see that
one of the main characters of the novel is the Ultimate Neurologist and that he's studying a girl with a weird case of amnesia.
(not a spoiler at all but just in case for the people that want absolutely no knowledge of Zero at all yet)

Still, said spoiler mentioned in If is not even the big spoiler of Zero.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm going to start my final run of the school mode... I'm already sad :( I want more, i have seen the anime, i'm actually reading Danganronpa If but it's not enough :(

Am i the only one to think that the fan translation influenced "negatively" on the official one? Everywhere on internet you read of "Super High School Level ******" or similar, i guess that's the best or the most faithful translation, it seems to me that localizers tried desperately to be different from the fan translation, losing a lot in the process, "Ultimate" or "Super" makes no difference, but the lack of "High School Level" is huge imo, for the entire game i assumed the students were the absolute best in the world while they were the best high school-wise(best in high school doesn't automatically exclude being the best in general though, like Sakura being the strongest in the world).

Iirc the point of SHSL IS that it sounds ridiculous just like its Japanese counterpart and is actually not really inaccurate although "officially" it seems to have been Super Duper Highschool judging from the English name of Junko's execution

I mean sure I wasn't a fan of Ultimate when it was first announced but I'm ok with it now.

It's probably the least wordy way they could have localized it while keeping the original idea there.

Of course, I still like Super Duper but even then I realize how Engrishy that sounds, lol.

Tizoc

The 'meaning' of a word should take precedence over a literal translation.
'High School Level' would sound fine in Japanese but when translated to English it doesn't fit.
When it comes to localization, the translation needs to shine in its own way while representing (Rather than reflecting) what the original Japanese text is.
...and really Ultimate is more than enough to describe a character's triat.

Bwahahaha! this one is awesome.

19ffz3ta7ocmbjpg.jpg

Brilliant.

PK Gaming

Super Duper High School Level "X" would have been great, haha

Though Ultimate is fine, and it made the Hope & Despair titles way better

Iirc the point of SHSL IS that it sounds ridiculous just like its Japanese counterpart and is actually not really inaccurate although "officially" it seems to have been Super Duper Highschool judging from the English name of Junko's execution

But SHSL doesn't sound ridiculous, it sounds like a poorly translated phrase, something not in proper English. Ultimate gets the idea across well enough I think.

MSMrRound

Question about school mode:

How exactly do I get the ending for the various characters?

Basically just max their report file/10 hearts/build all the backups by the last day and it will trigger automatically? E.g I got Sayaka to 10 hearts with a star marked right next to her star. Anything else that I might need?

The Trigger Happy Heart event doesn't do anything significant except to give you a full heart if you pulled off a good answer is that correct? Kind of confused about that/

Basically just max their report file/10 hearts/build all the backups by the last day and it will trigger automatically? E.g I got Sayaka to 10 hearts with a star marked right next to her star. Anything else that I might need?

The Trigger Happy Heart event doesn't do anything significant except to give you a full heart if you pulled off a good answer is that correct? Kind of confused about that/

You need to max everyone's report cards before you can do anyone's endings.

You'll also need to build the last Monokuma request as well.

After that, get 10 hearts with said character.

MSMrRound

You need to max everyone's report cards before you can do anyone's endings.

You'll also need to build the last Monokuma request as well.

After that, get 10 hearts with said character.

So everyone's report cards must be maxed? Alright thanks. That might be what I was missing.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm not saying that they should have used exactly "Super High School Level ****" but something that didn't lose all the meaning and the ridiculousness of the original form, "Ultimate" conveys neither its high school-wise meaning nor its ridiculousness.

You need to get 10 hearts and to make the last Monokuma, then at the end you need to talk to the ones with 10 hearts.

I'm not saying that they should have used exactly "Super High School Level ****" but something that didn't lose all the meaning and the ridiculousness of the original form, "Ultimate" conveys neither its high school-wise meaning nor its ridiculousness.

I think it conveys the ridiculous aspect pretty well. Calling yourself the "Ultimate X" is silly, it's not something you'd hear outside of a joke very often. And the high school level thing isn't really needed.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think it conveys the ridiculous aspect pretty well. Calling yourself the "Ultimate X" is silly, it's not something you'd hear outside of a joke very often. And the high school level thing isn't really needed.

While i can agree that "Ultimate" is already ridiculous, but not as "Super Duper", i can't agree on "High School" being not important.
Localizations should convey faithfully the intention of the original author, cultural differences may require changes but this was not the case, the lack of "High School" was a deliberate and unnecessary exclusion imo.

She loves Italy :3

anddo0

I just finished the game.

I guess the ending leaves the door open for DR2?

I know it coming, but the game just kinda ends without telling us what happens when they open the door.

PK Gaming

I love this comic.

You know, School Mode sorta corroborates this with Mukuru's ending.

I've always been a disappointment. At least, according to her...

As an aside, her school mode ending is fantastic. Not because she's precious or the perfect waifu or whatever, but because it's actually kind of poignant (and a bittersweet look into what could have been...)

LiK

Anyone in love with the ending credits song? I keep relistening to it over and over. Reminds me of my fave anime songs from years ago.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I love this comic.

You know, School Mode sorta corroborates this with Mukuru's ending.

As an aside, her school mode ending is fantastic. Not because she's precious or the perfect waifu or whatever, but because it's actually kind of poignant (and a bittersweet look into what could have been...)

I love Mukuro :3
I hated the fake Junko in the story mode because it was clear she was pretending, but i was thinking she was the real Junko, when i realized that she was Mukuro i really appreciated her because i liked how developers successfully made Mukuro trying hard to make Junko failing to hide her real self because she was too sincere and naive.

LiK

I love Mukuro :3
I hated the fake Junko in the story mode because it was clear she was pretending, but i was thinking she was the real Junko, when i realized that she was Mukuro i really appreciated her because i liked how developers successfully made Mukuro trying hard to make Junko failing to hide her real self because she was too sincere and naive.

A character that never was. I liked that one of the presents she likes is Rations. Only makes sense after learning who she was.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
A character that never was. I liked that one of the presents she likes is Rations. Only makes sense after learning who she was.

Not only that, she likes rations, futuristic guns, the FPS videogame and IIRC swords, maybe even the armor, but i didn't try that.
If you go on the store she likes to talk about armors and weapons, on the recreation room she wants an FPS and so on :)

Moonlight

Banned
No doubt. It was the first School Mode ending that I took a peek at (well, the last out of the first four Endings I finished), mostly because I thought it'd be funny, and I was... really surprised to see how well done it was. Actually, I'd call it my favourite one (on top of being the lengthiest). Definitely cemented her as my favourite character who never was.
And now she'll never find that new dream of hers. :(

LiK

No doubt. It was the first School Mode ending that I took a peek at (well, the last out of the first four Endings I finished), mostly because I thought it'd be funny, and I was... really surprised to see how well done it was. Actually, I'd call it my favourite one (on top of being the lengthiest). Definitely cemented her as my favourite character who never was.
And now she'll never find that new dream of hers. :(

Despair for us players

So, I just re-finished the game and I somewhat enjoyed it even more than the first time!
I've just started school life. So, form what you guys said previously, I should just focus on collecting/cleaning in the first run and max the levels and the report cards and then in the following playthroughs I'll startt using Trip Tickets, right?

LiK

So, I just re-finished the game and I somewhat enjoyed it even more than the first time!
I've just started school life. So, form what you guys said previously, I should just focus on collecting/cleaning in the first run and max the levels and the report cards and then in the following playthroughs I'll startt using Trip Tickets, right?
yup, that's how it's done.

It's pretty crazy how high the Collector's Edition is reselling for. I suppose I should thank NISA for gifting me that free 2nd copy.

Bu... bu.... it looks like an explosion....

Do we know what the tragedy is in DR2 ? And what happens to them ? Ending is so bitter weet :(
Don't invite DR2 spoilers here!

Trigger

Can someone explain what happens at the end when they open the gate? I don't get it :(

There's not much to explain at this point. They can leave the school now. They've all got plans for what they might want to do, but whether the world is in chaos or something is left up to our imaginations.

I think it actually works better being left deliberately vague. Did you want an epilogue explaining what they did after leaving?

Strangely, I can leave without knowing what they did, but I think they should have explained at least the tragedy, since it is the cause of everything.

But I'd love to know what happens to them after :)

You silly people...
School Mode is the true canon! Whatever that weird mode was before I got to access it was clearly just a what-if scenario

Nooooooooooo :(

kiriin

Strangely, I can leave without knowing what they did, but I think they should have explained at least the tragedy, since it is the cause of everything.

But I'd love to know what happens to them after :)

I kinda felt the same way. Wish there was some sort of closure especially with the ones who died.

Top Bottom