• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Wazzy

Banned
I really like your picks! The only one I can't see her having is Ditto. If you want to keep up with the purple theme, Crobat or Butterfree. :D

I eagerly await your Junko and Taka picks.

Sorian

Banned
I really like your picks! The only one I can't see her having is Ditto. If you want to keep up with the purple theme, Crobat or Butterfree. :D

I eagerly await your Junko and Taka picks.

Ditto makes so much sense to me though. Not as the being able to fill any role aspect but as the enigma aspect. Though Kyoko's "secret" was probably the most obvious thing in gaming ever.

Edit: Oh and one of Taka's pokemon better reference his masterful FORGET FORGET FORGET BEAM.

Wazzy

Banned
Ditto makes so much sense to me though. Not as the being able to fill any role aspect but as the enigma aspect. Though Kyoko's "secret" was probably the most obvious thing in gaming ever.

Edit: Oh and one of Taka's pokemon better reference his masterful FORGET FORGET FORGET BEAM.

I understand it's like her, I just can't see her actually having a ditto. :p

I'm trying to think of good options for Taka. Raichu? I don't know D:

Sorian

Banned
I understand it's like her, I just can't see her actually having a ditto. :p

I'm trying to think of good options for Taka. Raichu? I don't know D:

Taka looks like he would fit in as a member of the Elite 4 in one of the pokemon games so I envision him with all really strong pokemon. YMMV though.

Jintor

Kyoko should have an espurr @_@

espurr_by_kawiku-d6t66gw.png

Gave Celeste a Pokemon’ing. Spoilered because I’d prefer to see how similar Scrafty’s opinion on her is, without him reading this first.

http://abload.de/img/486789233cgkrw.jpg

Vespiquen: When I think of a queen bee controlling its army of minions, I see Celeste at the center of her army of knights / vampire butlers. Vespiquen's various 'Order' moves plus Pressure and Unnverve just reinforce that comparison.
Banette: A creepy doll that loses its life energy if it were to become unzipped. Potentially something she'd find cute, but that aside, you could take it as a parallel to Celeste losing her strength of character if she were to ‘unzip’ and return to being Taeko Yasuhiro. If you believe that’s how she actually is, anyway.
Crobat: Her taste for vampires would likely manifest itself in her team somewhere, which basically means either this or Gliscor. I’d say Crobat is better suited because of its design and poisonous nature.
Gothitelle: You should be able to solve this. I suppose her gambling skills may sometimes make it seem like she's predicting the future, though that's more suited to the other Yasuhiro.
Honchcrow: Similar to Vespiquen in that it has a group of followers at its beck and call, but with a more merciless nature. The gangster motif reminds me of the people she (supposedly) deals with in her underworld gambling shenanigans.
Exploud: The last Pokemon in her lineup, for when she’s backed into a corner and her more ‘forceful’ personality traits begin to materialise. Hyper Voice all day long.

Could’ve used a Chansey / Blissey since they’re supposed to be lucky, but both of them are too compassionate and friendly to suit her IMO.

X-Post:

On today's edition of Pokéronpa, we tackle the second-best male character: Kiyotaka Ishimaru!

The reasonings aren't quite as spoiler-y this time, but I'll tag them anyways for those who want to know as little about his as possible:

Beheeyem: Beheeyem has the power to erase memories. Plus its name sounds like "beam." So basically, this guy's only here to rep the FORGET FORGET FORGET BEEEEEEEEEAM
Hawlucha: Taka means "hawk" in Japanese, so I wanted to find a hawk Pokémon to represent that. There are surprisingly few however, so I ended up going with the only one which I deemed to be as manly and awesome as Taka is.
Hoothoot: The cute little guy has Taka's eyes and eyebrows, plus he continues the bird motif started by Hawlucha. Also, it's said in its PokéDex entries that Hoothoot was used in prior eras to tell time, which also kinda fits with Taka's compulsion to maintain order and normality.
Cubone: It's revealed during Taka's Free Time Events that he'd never had a true friend before Mondo, and that he's an incredibly lonely person in general. Cubone represents this well, with the added bonus of Cubone wearing its mother's skull as a memento symbolizing Taka carrying on Mondo's legacy after the latter's demise.
Cacturne: During the early Generation IV metagame, Cacturne was deemed as one of the most powerful Pokémon on the block, so long as its user was good at playing mindgames and generally thinking ahead. This ideal of "victory through effort" fits really well with Taka, especially when you consider the revelations made during his Free Time events. Having a Dark-type could also be a symbol of how much his buddy Mondo has rubbed off on him.
Typhlosion: HOT-BLOODED SPIRIT! That aside though, it's said that Typhlosion can survive temperatures of more than 1000 degrees, meaning it would be a fitting pet for someone with Taka's level of heat endurance (as proven by the Sauna Battle).

I guess I'll have to do Celeste tomorrow to see how my choices stack up to Captain Battleship's. I was planning on alternating between males and females each day anyways, so it's a win-win!

Wazzy

Banned
Okay I LOVE that Taka has Typhlosion and Cubone. Don't like the other ones but I can see why he would have them.

Your picks have been pretty spot on! Now that my first favourite is done, I'm eager to see your picks for Junko.

You planning to do Mukuro Scrafty?

Yeah, I'm going to do her for sure, but I'm debating whether I should do her as Junkuro or The Ultimate Soldier. The problem with the latter is that by excluding Junko from the main thread, it'll tip people off as to her role in the story, while the problem with the former is that I really want to do Mastermind!Junko as well :B

I have a similar issue with Toko/Genocide Jack. Should I make them one entry, or two?

And thanks for the kind words, all. It's good to know that people are enjoying this little project :)

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, I'm going to do her for sure, but I'm debating whether I should do her as Junkuro or The Ultimate Soldier. The problem with the latter is that by excluding Junko from the main thread, it'll tip people off as to her role in the story, while the problem with the former is that I really want to do Mastermind!Junko as well :B

I have a similar issue with Toko/Genocide Jack. Should I make them one entry, or two?

Toko makes sense to be one entry, they are two halves of the same coin and I think it would make sense to have a team of pokemon that matches the idea (just my thoughts).

The whole Junko situation is a lot harder, I hadn't even thought about you doing these as cross-posts how that would create an issue over there. It's even harder to put in real choice for mastermind junko over there because if you are overly ambitious about warning for spoilers, that raises more questions about Junko.

As for Mukuro, if you've read IF then you have an idea of how she balances her Junkuro and soldier stuff.

I actually haven't read IF yet, so I just have to go off of the hints of her personality given in School Mode. I think I might just double up on Mukuro and Junko in here, while only posting Mukuro in the OT.

Sorian

Banned
I actually haven't read IF yet, so I just have to go off of the hints of her personality given in School Mode. I think I might just double up on Mukuro and Junko in here, while only posting Mukuro in the OT.

boo-this-man.gif

I kid, of course. IF isn't required reading material like Zero is (which is a shame since IF is what will get the official translation).

The only reason I've never read IF is because I can't find a good translation, haha. At least it's been confirmed for English release along with SDR2.

Sorian

Banned
So just a question, was there ever a guide for School Mode?

In terms of how to play the mechanics or what the right things to say to people were?

First one has just been word of mouth I've seen, second one someone did post in here at some point from that playstation trophies forum, I could peruse the thread and try to find it if you'd like.

Edit: Ah, simple enough

Wazzy

Banned
I really need to beat school mode. I got kind of bored at it's reptitiveness but at the same time I want to finish everyones report cards.

Once I finish X/X-2 I'll go back and complete it.

I'm excited to read IF with DR2 but at the same time, It's just going to make me like Mukuro more and make me upset she didn't survive. Judging by the summary I read, I think they should have kept her alive.

DaBoss

I'm excited to read IF with DR2 but at the same time, It's just going to make me like Mukuro more and make me upset she didn't survive. Judging by the summary I read, I think they should have kept her alive.
Just accept in your mind that IF is the true canon and it will make you feel at ease.

SDR2 is the true alternate reality.

Acid08

Banned
I really need to beat school mode. I got kind of bored at it's reptitiveness but at the same time I want to finish everyones report cards.

Once I finish X/X-2 I'll go back and complete it.

No doubt School Mode gets hella boring even before you finish the Report Cards. But the endings are worth seeing imo. The playthroughs also go waaaaaaay faster after everyone is leveled up.

Sorian

Banned
No doubt School Mode gets hella boring even before you finish the Report Cards. But the endings are worth seeing imo. The playthroughs also go waaaaaaay faster after everyone is leveled up.

I think they just went faster for me because I could go on auto-pilot, by the end I was running school mode inbetween pulls in FFXIV.

Drago

Was checking some upcoming Vita games on Gamefly and I noticed that they had the boxart and rating for DR2, I don't know if we saw it yet anywhere so excuse me if I'm LTTP. Not that exciting and it's a pretty low res image but hey. It excites me. :)

5007557.jpg

Oh I thought that might be Makoto on the bottom.

Well he's voiced by the same people. He's the same Ultimate as Makoto. He has a hoodie like Makoto. His name makes an anagram for "I am Makoto Naegi" in Japanese or something for some reason. But no that's not Makoto.

AniHawk

Was checking some upcoming Vita games on Gamefly and I noticed that they had the boxart and rating for DR2, I don't know if we saw it yet anywhere so excuse me if I'm LTTP. Not that exciting and it's a pretty low res image but hey. It excites me. :)

5007557.jpg

like with the cover for the first game, dr2's box is lifted from the japanese psp game

ibwPBZBFiGhLx4.jpg

like with the cover for the first game, dr2's box is lifted from the japanese psp game

ibwPBZBFiGhLx4.jpg
RE: The US Version

The should of made the logo a bit smaller, or the background picture a bit larger. One the character's faces is completely blocked, and another almost completely.

AniHawk

RE: The US Version

The should of made the logo a bit smaller, or the background picture a bit larger. One the character's faces is completely blocked, and another almost completely.

there may have been an issue in making the background image larger. sometimes assets are already at 300 or 350 dpi and enlarging them would ruin the quality of the image.

logos are tricky because you want people to know the name of the game, so you can't make it too small. i think with this, it was placed particularly over the large crosshairs/rainbow. the psp box is hard to adapt anything from. if it was a ps3 game -> vita game, it would probably be a smoother transition.

Yay, I can finally post in this thread! I finally finished the game the other night and since then I've read pretty much every post in this thread. I posted some of my thoughts in the Virtue's Last Reward VS Danganronpa discussion thread just now. Even though I’m comparing the game to Virtue’s Last Reward – I think you can still get a pretty clear picture on what I thought of the game. If I were to judge the game solely on its own merits and not compare it to the Zero Escape game (which I rate extremely highly) then my impressions would be a lot more positive. Anyway, if you want to give it a read here it is:

I’ve had this thread bookmarked waiting for when I finished Danganronpa. Last night I finished it, and while I liked it and think it’s a good game, Virtue’s Last Reward does literally everything better apart from it have slightly weaker presentation.

Of course, 999 is better than both games and is a sacred holy cow that’ll probably never be touched by another visual novel ever again. Ok now that that’s out of the way, back to Danganronpa VS Virtue’s Last Reward. Even though Virtue’s Last Reward was made after Danganronpa, now that I’ve finished both games it just makes me appreciate Virtue’s Last Reward even more. The Zero Escape games might have ruined other visual novels for me by setting the bar so high. In Danganronpa I was over thinking everything thanks to the Zero Escape games, and by the end I was just like “Huh? That’s it?” So many theories were running through my head – I actually thought Alter Ego was somehow simulating the whole game/environment like how he did when Mondo appeared on the laptop. In the end I was waiting for a big complex bomb to drop to cleverly tie everything together, but that never happened. The ending was not bad, and not amazing. It was just....an ending.

The biggest wow moments came from most of the trials with the ‘bigger plot’ being less interesting. The whole body swap in chapter 5 and 6 was probably the biggest surprise for me, and one I really liked, but I thought the surprises were gonna keep on coming at the end, but they never did. Throughout the whole game I thought that everyone who had died hadn’t really died. I was expecting some kind of alternate time-line or something to happen since I thought it was weird how all the bodies would just completely disappear and how the game even told me at a certain point ‘it was like she was never even hear’. When I found out they were all permanently dead I was kinda shocked! O_O

Junko being the mastermind kind of came out of nowhere, and the whole amnesia thing was such a cop-out, and her motivation? She was just some random psycho who loved despair and hated hope? Err, ok? I did however love how she made them kill each other with them not even knowing they were all friends and that the outside world they so desperately wanted to escape to was completely destroyed anyway and they were safer in the school and didn’t even need to kill each other in the first place. That’s just deliciously evil! But in the end the plot turned out to be very surprisingly basic compared to what I was thinking. I guess Kyoko’s dad ran away because he just wanted to be a headmaster and not a detective? How did the characters lose their memories? How was it only certain memories? Why did Mukuro disobey Monokuma? What was with Makoto’s fever? How was Monokuma made? Why did Monokuma break towards the end in the gym?

Story wise Virtue’s Last Reward wins hands down. Danganronpa seemed like Virtue’s Last Reward but without the cleverness or scope. It felt like it was aimed at teens while Virtue’s Last Reward was more adult/mature with more sophistication and better writing. While Virtue’s Last Reward is by no means perfect when it comes to pacing due to all the branching paths, Danganronpa was a single path and still I thought it had even worse pacing. The middle part of the game just dragged on. The whole Alter Ego part was not interesting at all. And the fact that the game just kept on dragging it out telling us that some information was going to soon come out of Alter Ego numerous times tested my patience. And when we finally did get some information from him it wasn’t interesting. The headmaster might have set this all up? He might still be in the school? That’s what I waited so long to hear? Meh.

The overall plot, plot-twists, atmosphere, music, voice acting, writing and characters are better in Virtue’s Last Reward. I found Danganronpa to have pretty weak atmosphere with little to no tension – I don’t quite know how to say it – but it just felt too tame, too care free and at times borderline silly considering the main premises of the plot. Virtue’s Last Reward destroys Danganronpa in this category. Character wise I thought the cast of Danganronpa was somewhat solid, but damn were they not only stupid for the most part, but they were pretty much one dimensional, un-interesting and bland as bread. I swear the only reason Makoto was the main character was for him to constantly just say “Huh?” “What do you mean?” “I don’t understand?” so the other characters could explain things to me that was already obvious. It happened far too much and just came across as lazy writing. I just didn’t care what happened to most of them. The characters in Virtue’s Last Reward had better dialogue, felt a lot more believable and were nowhere near as plain and one dimensional as the cast from Danganronpa.

It might sound like I hated Danganronpa - but I didn’t. Just compared to the brilliance of the Zero Escape games it falls short. I enjoyed Danganronpa and will be picking up the sequel day one. 999 >>>>> Virtue’s Last Reward >> Danganronpa.

Ok, questions time! Please don't spoil or even hint at spoiling anything for me regarding the sequel. Got it? Ok good, let’s get started!

1. What was with Makoto’s fever.....was it a red herring? 2. How exactly did the cast lose their memories, and how only certain memories? 3. How was Monokuma even made? 4. What was with him breaking down in the gym and what was with the weird text he spouted out towards the end of the game in the dining hall? 5. Remind me, why was Junko’s face covered in all the class photos? 6. What was with the murder scene in the classroom and the destruction on the second floor of the dorms? 7. Why did Mukuro disobey Monokuma resulting in her death? 8. Junko’s motivation – did she just love despair and hate hope, is that it? 9. Why did the game show green text at certain points? 10. Why did the game show the first scene of Makoto entering the school again towards the end of the game?

FluxWaveZ

5. Remind me, why was Junko’s face covered in all the class photos?

A lot of your questions seem to be stuff that would be either answered in DR Zero or the sequel, but this one should be obvious, right? Junko's the one who planted them in the first place, so she obviously made sure she chose pictures where her face was blocked so that people wouldn't quickly realize that the Junko they knew didn't resemble the Junko in the pictures. As to why her face is blocked in so many pictures in the first place? Coincidence, I guess.

1. What was with Makoto’s fever.....was it a red herring? 2. How exactly did the cast lose their memories, and how only certain memories? 3. How was Monokuma even made? 4. What was with him breaking down in the gym and what was with the weird text he spouted out towards the end of the game in the dining hall? 5. Remind me, why was Junko’s face covered in all the class photos? 6. What was with the murder scene in the classroom and the destruction on the second floor of the dorms? 7. Why did Mukuro disobey Monokuma resulting in her death? 8. Junko’s motivation – did she just love despair and hate hope, is that it? 9. Why did the game show green text at certain points? 10. Why did the game show the first scene of Makoto entering the school again towards the end of the game?

Answered some of these in the other thread.

1. No idea. Dude probably just a fever.
2. Explained in Danganronpa Zero
3. Is that really important? It's a robot. Might be explained in the sequel, idk.
4. There's was just no one in the control room, so he was inactive. Junko was setting up the Mukuro crime scene at that time.
5. Because people would make the connection if it was shown. Mukuro and Junko may not look super different to us, but they apparently have pretty different faces in universe.
6. Explained in Danganronpa Zero.
7. The plan was for Mukuro to be confined somewhere after pissing off Monokuma, so she could help Junko with stuff. Obviously Junko had a different plan in mind.
8. Pretty much. Her character is explored more in DR Zero. She's basically just really really fucked up. I have no idea if she's mentioned in the sequel, so that might expand on her as well.
9. Don't remember that. No idea.
10. It was just a dream flashback thing. Dude might have just been coping with all the stress he was under by redoing the entrance in his mind.

Sorian

Banned
Ok, questions time! Please don't spoil or even hint at spoiling anything for me regarding the sequel. Got it? Ok good, let’s get started!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but not all stories have to have everything relating to each other. I love 999/VLR as well but that isn't the only to do a story. As for some of your questions (the ones I don't answer I either don't know or they are addressed in the sequel).

1)He was sick? There isn't really more that needs to be said, no red herring and nothing special to it. It is convenient for the story but not exactly implausible.

4) Until we see that after credits scene, we are forced to assume that monokuma can only function when junko is in the mastermind room controlling him. He broke down in the gym because Junko was out trying to kill makoto and setting up her sister's body to be the next "victim"

5) Because she hand selected all of those photos to give out. They seemed like a pretty sturdy group of friends and there were probably hundreds of photos of them, it is unsurprising that Junko was able to find a couple with her face covered, I'm sure she could have found a bunch with Sakura's or anyone else's face covered as well.

6) This is addressed in a prequel novel and in the sequel from what I've heard. The novel is very good.

7) Mukuro didn't disobey Junko, she played her part of the plan but Junko decided to kill her sister instead of giving her a lighter punishment or a fake death (it's unclear how the plan was really supposed to go, I think the death was supposed to be fake removing "Junko" from the game and both sisters would have been behind the scenes). Why did Junko do it? LOLDESPAIR

8) Yes, there is more to it but I think the sequel will do a better job of it.

Top Bottom