• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

Thanks very much for answering my questions. You guys are just too awesome! It seems like I really need to track down Danganronpa IF and Zero....

And I’m kind of surprised the green text in the game had no meaning. I thought for sure that would be a major reveal. I guess I was just over thinking?

Sorian

Banned
Thanks very much for answering my questions. You guys are just too awesome! It seems like I really need to track down Danganronpa IF and Zero....

And I’m kind of surprised the green text in the game had no meaning. I thought for sure that would be a major reveal. I guess I was just over thinking?

I can't even remember what green text you mean, it probably did have some type of meaning but something much smaller than what you are imagining. You keying in on Makoto's fever and the green text just tells me you were looking for too much 999 here when dangan ronpa was really going for a more realistic story.

As for IF and Zero, keep in mind, IF is non-canon while Zero is canon. It's obvious why IF is non-canon once you see what the story is about and some of the stuff presented may be true but take it all with a grain of salt.

GSR

Wasn't the green text just for system stuff? (Menus, tutorials, etc.)

But basically - yeah, you were overthinking this one. DR isn't meant to be a super-speculative/mind-bendy game like one of Uchikoshi's works. It's just murder mysteries with overarching plot.

Bad news: my computer's acting up today, so I won't be able to get Celeste's Pokéronpa entry done until tomorrow.

Good news: I'll create 2 tomorrow to make up for it, and you guys get to decide which male I'll make a team for along with Celeste!

Acid08

Banned
Bad news: my computer's acting up today, so I won't be able to get Celeste's Pokéronpa entry done until tomorrow.

Good news: I'll create 2 tomorrow to make up for it, and you guys get to decide which male I'll make a team for along with Celeste!
Think it has to be Celeste and Hifumi :p

I'll say it here 'cause I'm in the middle of VLR and don't want to spoil myself in the other thread, but I'm kinda confused as to why DR is being primarily compared to ZE (well, I mean, I guess it's a scenario-based thing, but I feel like their fundamental differences should be more evident than they seem to be). DR seems to be much more in the vein of the branch of adventure games Ace Attorney developed than the ZE series, which feels more like a modernized take on Chunsoft's sound novels.

The way I see it, DR and AA are less about actually solving any mysteries and are more focused on putting the player on a crazy ride through wild scenarios and a zany cast, while the strength of the ZE games are their ability to create a compelling overarching mystery for the player to solve.

I'm not saying that puts them beyond comparison, but it seems to me like analyzing them next to each other point-for-point doesn't accomplish a whole lot. Or maybe that's not what's going on and I'm the one missing something!

My bad! It wasn’t green text. It was green over the person’s name when they spoke. I figured when the person’s name was blue it was night time, but green? I think it first happens here in the game if you want to know what I’m talking about.

I can't even remember what green text you mean, it probably did have some type of meaning but something much smaller than what you are imagining. You keying in on Makoto's fever and the green text just tells me you were looking for too much 999 here when dangan ronpa was really going for a more realistic story.

As for IF and Zero, keep in mind, IF is non-canon while Zero is canon. It's obvious why IF is non-canon once you see what the story is about and some of the stuff presented may be true but take it all with a grain of salt.

Wasn't the green text just for system stuff? (Menus, tutorials, etc.)

But basically - yeah, you were overthinking this one. DR isn't meant to be a super-speculative/mind-bendy game like one of Uchikoshi's works. It's just murder mysteries with overarching plot.

Yeah, you guys aren’t wrong. At least I’ll know what to expect when I go into the sequel.

I'll say it here 'cause I'm in the middle of VLR and don't want to spoil myself in the other thread, but I'm kinda confused as to why DR is being primarily compared to ZE (well, I mean, I guess it's a scenario-based thing, but I feel like their fundamental differences should be more evident than they seem to be). DR seems to be much more in the vein of the branch of adventure games Ace Attorney developed than the ZE series, which feels more like a modernized take on Chunsoft's sound novels.

The way I see it, DR and AA are less about actually solving any mysteries and are more focused on putting the player on a crazy ride through wild scenarios and a zany cast, while the strength of the ZE games are their ability to create a compelling overarching mystery for the player to solve.

I'm not saying that puts them beyond comparison, but it seems to me like analyzing them next to each other point-for-point doesn't accomplish a whole lot. Or maybe that's not what's going on and I'm the one missing something!

I do agree with you, but I can at least partially understand the comparisons from an audience that doesn't have a lot of experience with VNs, which is still a pretty large chunk of the west. I mean, I'd say it's a more apt comparison than 999 and Ghost Trick, which was a thing back in 2010 because they released close to each other.

I think the biggest similarities come down to the settings. The whole "trapped and forced to play a game of death" thing is not uncommon in Japanese media, but here it's pretty much limited to Saw. There's also the similarities between Monokuma and Zero III along with some other stuff that would be a spoiler.

But really, I think comparing them to the extent that they've been compared does a disservice to both series. Both are their own thing despite having elements of the same genre.

GSR

My bad! It wasn’t green text. It was green over the person’s name when they spoke. I figured when the person’s name was blue it was night time, but green? I think it first happens here in the game if you want to know what I’m talking about.

Oh, that? It's in line with yellow for daytime and blue for nighttime; green is used when it's "time unknown" (usually when Makoto wakes up from being knocked out/etc.)

Oh, that? It's in line with yellow for daytime and blue for nighttime; green is used when it's "time unknown" (usually when Makoto wakes up from being knocked out/etc.)

Beautiful! That makes perfect sense. Thanks! I thought it might be happening because his consciousness was leaving his body or something. Over thinking indeed LOL! : P

Aww yiss. Look what I just ordered for $97AU:

qKc4wML.jpg
PAVN4HH.jpg

Ugh, I guess it would be appropriate to do the joke character on April Fool's Day.

Just a warning, though: Hifumi's entry is going to be so full of salt.

Speaking of which, I was considering changing my avatar for April Fools Day but I didn't want to sully my avatar with having such a bad character. :p

Looking forward to seeing your salty Pokemon choices.

PK Gaming

Real talk:

The character designs are at their strongest when the characters have a "oh-shit-what-the-fuck-is-happening" look on their faces.

DaBoss

I think the characters are much more interesting in DR than the ZE series just due ti the fact that we're discussing about them here constantly. There's also the supplemental stuff like the light novels, and the manga which just expand upon the characters. Sadly the Zero Escape series doesn't have that stuff from what I know.

I think the characters are much more interesting in DR than the ZE series just due ti the fact that we're discussing about them here constantly. There's also the supplemental stuff like the light novels, and the manga which just expand upon the characters. Sadly the Zero Escape series doesn't have that stuff from what I know.

My quick thoughts on the characters from my other post:

Tricky I Shadow said:
Character wise I thought the cast of Danganronpa was somewhat solid, but damn were they not only stupid for the most part, but they were pretty much one dimensional, un-interesting and bland as bread. I swear the only reason Makoto was the main character was for him to constantly just say “Huh?” “What do you mean?” “I don’t understand?” so the other characters could explain things to me that was already obvious. It happened far too much and just came across as lazy writing. I just didn’t care what happened to most of them. The characters in Virtue’s Last Reward had better dialogue, felt a lot more believable and were nowhere near as plain and one dimensional as the cast from Danganronpa.

I'd argue that both games' characters have their strengths and weaknesses. Like, of course you've got two-dimensional scumbags like Dio and Yamada in both games, but also really compelling and tragic characters like Tenmyouji and Sakura.

Have you completed every character's report card yet? If not, I'd strongly recommend you get on that before passing judgement on the characters. The new bits of information revealed in the Free Time Events will give you a new perspective on most of the cast, especially those who get relatively little exposure in the main story like Taka. It's thanks to these events that Mondo's my favourite character in the game instead of just being another culprit, after all.

I'd argue that both games' characters have their strengths and weaknesses. Like, of course you've got two-dimensional scumbags like Dio and Yamada in both games, but also really compelling and tragic characters like Tenmyouji and Sakura.

Have you completed every character's report card yet? If not, I'd strongly recommend you get on that before passing judgement on the characters. The new bits of information revealed in the Free Time Events will give you a new perspective on most of the cast, especially those who get relatively little exposure in the main story like Taka. It's thanks to these events that Mondo's my favourite character in the game instead of just being another culprit, after all.

No, not yet. I’m going to start School Mode really soon. From what report cards I did get in the main game I thought they were pretty un-interesting. Hopefully my mind will change when I get them all.

Real talk:

The character designs are at their strongest when the characters have a "oh-shit-what-the-fuck-is-happening" look on their faces.

It also helps Ishimaru has enough faces to rival Junko's personas~

But yes, the artstyle used for the characters really help when they are in their whole despair moments. It works really well.

Acid08

Banned
No, not yet. I’m going to start School Mode really soon. From what report cards I did get in the main game I thought they were pretty un-interesting. Hopefully my mind will change when I get them all.
They're not all great but most of them provide some pretty important details for each character. It's unfortunate that you're so time restricted with them in the main story.

Wazzy

Banned
I like both games a lot and don't really like comparing them. I was more attached to 999/VLR's cast but I still love DR's.

They're both great games.

Anyway I really want to look for some Taka merchandise. I might also look for some Junko stuff, the statue posted above is pretty cool.

First off, the Victorian vamp, the ghastly goth, the licentious lolita, Celestiaaaaaaaaa Ludenbeeeeeeerg!

Nidoqueen: Fits her regal aspirations as well as representing her "poisonous" true nature.
Mismagius: Represents the "witch" motif surrounding her personality, appearance and execution. Mismagius is also noted as being quite the clever schemer, so I'd imagine someone as devious as Celeste would love to keep one around.
Gliscor: Here's the theme of "poisonous" again (although Gliscor isn't Poison-type itself, it's heavily associated with the poisoned status). Gliscor is also known as the "Vampire Pokémon" in some regions, meaning it'd be the perfect pet for Celeste if she wasn't lying about her motives.
Gothitelle: Self-explanatory, really.
Snubbull: Snubbull's cute appearance masks its fierce and violent nature, perfectly reflecting Celeste's psyche. Maybe it's a bit too pink for her, but I can see her keeping it around as an attack dog to maul D-Rank individuals.
Flareon: I apologize in advance, but this is a double-reference to DRAT and TPP. Rather fitting for the Super-Duper High School Hellspawn to own the False Prophet, don'tcha think? :p
Okay I guess it could also represent her "fiery" outbursts if you're boring.

Ugh, let's just get this one over with:

Dedenne: Gerbil-boy resembles it. It's also part Fairy-type, which I guess kinda represents his weird favourite show but whatever let's just get on with it.
Sunkern: It's useless, just like he is.
Farfetch'd: It's stupid, just like his dreams are.
Luvdisc: It's hilariously inept, just like his brain is. Also represents the fact that he fell in love. With a computer.
Wailord: I bet you're expecting a fat joke here. Sorry to disappoint you, but I just relish the idea of Hifumi owning a Wailord because it presents the opportunity of him getting crushed to death by it someday.
Vanillish: I bet he eats like 5000 of these cute little guys a day. There, I did a fat joke.

Either Hina or Sakura will be tomorrow because I need to reset my palate with an actual good character.

I assumed a fire type for Celeste since they needed a firetruck to smash her to death. :p

Delicious salt for Yamada.

I oddly enough would say Farfetch'd would fit Hagakure more since it does the whole what's the point of them?

oh hey april fools day is almost over but here's an official dangan ronpa april fools day thing that happened one time
(BE WARNED, IT CENTERS AROUND DR2 CHARACTERS, THOUGH IT CONTAINS NO SPOILERS OR ANY MATERIAL RELATED TO THE CONTENT OF THE GAME ASIDE FROM CHARACTER DESIGNS)

If you want to know the material contained within just to be super duper extra safe:
It's the cast of Dangan Ronpa 2 with their sprites altered to have goofy hairstyles because I don't know

kewlmyc

oh hey april fools day is almost over but here's an official dangan ronpa april fools day thing that happened one time
(BE WARNED, IT CENTERS AROUND DR2 CHARACTERS, THOUGH IT CONTAINS NO SPOILERS OR ANY MATERIAL RELATED TO THE CONTENT OF THE GAME ASIDE FROM CHARACTER DESIGNS)

If you want to know the material contained within just to be super duper extra safe:
It's the cast of Dangan Ronpa 2 with their sprites altered to have goofy hairstyles because I don't know

Some of them honestly look better, mostly some of the girls.

First off, the Victorian vamp, the ghastly goth, the licentious lolita, Celestiaaaaaaaaa Ludenbeeeeeeerg!
Mismagius was on my shortlist but I cut it for some bizarre reason. It really suits her though, particularly since (reading up) it uses its voice to torment people as well. Was considering Mawile for similar reasons to Snubbull, and Crobat just won out over Gliscor. Nearly went with Liepard but I didn't want to tread on Kyoko's toes.

Yamada is lol / lolly / loli.

Another day, another Pokéronpa! Our subject today is the Ogre herself, Sakura Ogami!

Sawk, Throh and Hariyama: Pretty self-explanatory. Sakura is obsessed with growing stronger by mastering every martial art there is, so it makes sense that she'd train with three Pokémon who can perform martial arts better than any human could ever dream. The three of 'em are proficient in shotokan karate, judo and sumo wrestling respectively, in case you were wondering.
Poliwrath: Hina and Sakura were incredibly close, so I like to think the former's love of Water-type Pokémon rubbed off on the ol' Ogre. Poliwrath's still a Fighting-type though, so it's not too far away from what she would usually train.
Ursaring: This big lug is the only Pokémon I could find which adequately represented her position as Monokuma's spy without straying too far from Sakura's "rough 'n' tough" nature. It learns several Fighting-type moves, at least!
Darmanitan: Aside from having the second-highest attack of any non-Legendary Pokémon, Darmie also fits Sakura's rarely-seen "angry" personality well. It also has an alternate "Zen" form, reflecting Sakura's usual calm and collected persona.

kewlmyc

Another day, another Pokéronpa! Our subject today is the Ogre herself, Sakura Ogami!

Sawk, Throh and Hariyama: Pretty self-explanatory. Sakura is obsessed with growing stronger by mastering every martial art there is, so it makes sense that she'd train with three Pokémon who can perform martial arts better than any human could ever dream. The three of 'em are proficient in shotokan karate, judo and sumo wrestling respectively, in case you were wondering.
Poliwrath: Hina and Sakura were incredibly close, so I like to think the former's love of Water-type Pokémon rubbed off on the ol' Ogre. Poliwrath's still a Fighting-type though, so it's not too far away from what she would usually train.
Ursaring: This big lug is the only Pokémon I could find which adequately represented her position as Monokuma's spy without straying too far from Sakura's "rough 'n' tough" nature. It learns several Fighting-type moves, at least!
Darmanitan: Aside from having the second-highest attack of any non-Legendary Pokémon, Darmie also fits Sakura's rarely-seen "angry" personality well. It also has an alternate "Zen" form, reflecting Sakura's usual calm and collected persona.

It makes me sad that any flying type would wreck her team.

Would have been interesting if you had something on her team to show off her female side too. (However rare it is)
Don't just say all her Pokemon are just female

DaBoss

Would have been interesting if you had something on her team to show off her female side too. (However rare it is)
Don't just say all her Pokemon are just female
Mega Mawile because Huge Power.

Or Azumarill for Huge Power replacing Poliwrath.

Both are cute Pokemon.

I’m making my way through School Mode now trying to fill in all the report cards. Big fat LOL at Celeste’s worst moment in her life being when she spilled tea on herself! Definitely one of my favourite characters!

What happens if you give a character a present they really love or if you give them one they don’t like? And when does School Mode actually end? Does it simply end on day 51 regardless of what you even do?

Top Bottom