• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting Engine Mod - Modernising And Enhancing An Overlooked Classic

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No mention of how the mod works with the sections of the game where lighting is an actual mechanic?

DF fails again.

Gojiira

Fair enough. But that's a shame cuz Dark souls 2 probably has the most unique and interesting new game+ cycles in the series.
While thats true, the good aspects do not outweigh the bad. The lack of cohesive world with numerous non-sensical connections just ewww.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

Planet actual good taste. Also Planet "Giving credit for actually trying to evolve a successful formula, as opposed to lazily rehashing it like DS3 did!"
Tried to evolve in the worst ways possible.

Is DS3 just doing what 1 did? Yes, but its still a great game to play.

DS2 is the only one in the entire trilogy that i don't want to replay at all.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Gaf users: its the best Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2:

W3KiB0.gif

It was a decent game but calling it the best against DS1 and 3 is factually wrong. You can argue about certain things but its level design was dogshit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Tried to evolve in the worst ways possible.

Hard disagree. More and more evolved in-game mechanics, more user control over difficulty with bonfires, power-stancing, various forms of arena-based PvP, sctual substantial changes based on NG+ cycle, the list goes on.

Is DS3 just doing what 1 did? Yes, but its still a great game to play.

Miyazaki phoned it in. Its a fun enough to play through once, but objectively has minimal revisit value. It also felt like a contractual obligation due to its utter lack of anything resembling a new or fresh idea. All its best stuff is either straight lifted from previous games or is so under-developed it has no real value. It flatters with ideas like the Pus-of-Man transforms at the start, but then completely forgets about it for the rest of the game.

DS2 is the only one in the entire trilogy that i don't want to replay at all.

I don't argue this to be contrarian; the proof of DS2's value should be evident by how much of its influence ended up in Elden Ring.

Not that think DS2 (especially the original release) is without fault. Its certainly the roughest-around-the-edges of all of the franchise. But. Its problems -imho- can largely be traced back to it being so ambitious while still targeting PS360 as its primary platform. The uneveness of the world-design particularly being a result of them having to radically restructure to get the thing to run, and again its not an issue that's exclusive to this one game. Plenty of FROM's titles have somewhat unfinished seeming areas, its just that in DS2 it pretty much hits you in the face with it straight from the off and improves greatly in later sections.

Sentenza

I've always felt conflicted on Dark Souls 2.
On one hand it's easily the worst game From Software put out in the last 12 years or so....
On the other one, there's still enough good things in it that frankly speaking a lot of studios could only beg on their knees they had something so "bad" in their own portfolio.

Back to the topic:
Maybe it's just the video quality, but I saw absolutely nothing in this review that made me think this mod is worth the hassle of going back to the game.

Last edited:
It's a pretty great mod - higher quality ambient occlusion, shadow casting from light sources, HDR and VRR support, PCSS soft shadows, DLAA, etc. Feels kind of like a beefed up reshade.

If you're looking to build yourself an unofficial remaster then I would recommend at least these mods to max out the visuals:
To clean up the UI, there are a couple of others I would add:

Top Bottom