• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Maffis said:
Is it good to invest in a bow? I don't have enough dexterity to use a short-bow. I wanted to see if I could obtain the dragon sword (I play Pyromancer), but you need a bow to do that. Will you need Dexterity in the future, for better weapons I mean, or is it possible to just go full strength?? Otherwise I could just invest 2-3 points now.

Don't the bows only require 12 dex? You should definitely have one, they're invaluable for drawing out enemies, and most good weapons will require dex of 12+ anyway.

mujun

Maffis said:
Is it good to invest in a bow? I don't have enough dexterity to use a short-bow. I wanted to see if I could obtain the dragon sword (I play Pyromancer), but you need a bow to do that. Will you need Dexterity in the future, for better weapons I mean, or is it possible to just go full strength?? Otherwise I could just invest 2-3 points now.

I find the bow useful, not very useful but definitely useful. It's great for separating enemies from groups at a distance so you can take them on one at a time. I found it very useful in Sen's Fortress, you can use it to get rid of pesky ranged attackers who make dodging traps harder.

Dreaver

GAF, could someone enlighten me a bit more on Covenants? I understand the basic idea, that it is mostly end-game and PvP. However, I saw you could get some pretty neat items with it.
I saw you could get the Fog Ring from the Forest Hunters as example. So I was wondering, can I just switch Covenants, and switch back later? Or what are good Covenants to join? Could anyone give me a bit of advice, and what is smart to do?

I am currently in the 'Way of Light' Covenant you get in the start of the game.

I just rang the second bell.

Thanks.

Zeth

Anybody have Quelag's Furysword? Already dumped 35 pts in dex (should I stop?). Or would +15 Laito be better in the long run? I like the idea of having a unique weapon.

elty

Quick questions:

1) Is there anything equivalent to crystal lizard in Demon's Souls?
2) Is there anything equivalent to the insanity talisman in Demon's Souls, or anything that let you cast miracle and spell?
3) Is there any harm to betray your covenant if you don't plan to rejoin them?

The_Monk

Thanks Geek, -Pyromaniac- and weekend_warrior for all the kind answers!

Regarding GAFfer Geek with your second question:

No, I think that I did not pick up that, is that important?

Where can I find that item? > > >
Black Eye Orb from the Fire Keeper maiden's corpse?
and what do I do with it?

Thanks you all guys :)

I accidently struck the female undead merchant. Is there anyway to reset this or do I really have to pay 48000 souls?? I'm level 24 knight and am just starting the depths and have nothing but the Drake sword...everything gives me trouble and would take literally days to grind that many souls.

Nelo Ice

Banned
thanks for this thread duck. im completely lost atm on what to do with my pyromancer in terms of leveling him up i want him to be a battle mage but i dont kno what stats to put my souls into or what items and stuff to spend them on. also i just started the game so im at the firelink shrine.

btw i also have the guide.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
The_Monk said:
Where can I find that item? > > >
Black Eye Orb from the Fire Keeper maiden's corpse?
and what do I do with it?
You should be able to find it at the previous location of the Fire Keeper maiden, where you can first upgrade your Estus Flask, below your camp. The game will tell you very clearly when the Black Eye Orb can be used.

Zeth

Nelo Ice said:
thanks for this thread duck. im completely lost atm on what to do with my pyromancer in terms of leveling him up i want him to be a battle mage but i dont kno what stats to put my souls into or what items and stuff to spend them on. also i just started the game so im at the firelink shrine.

btw i also have the guide.
If you're not using sorceries don't level INT. You boost pyro power by upgrading your pyromancy flame so it's pretty much free of stat investment. Best kind of battle mage IMO.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
i undersatand the crafting differences between flame and chaos split and magic and enchanted but what are the actual? is +5 chaos/enchanted better than their +10 counterparts?

(also posting this from disney land cant stop thinking about the best game on earth from the happiest place on earth)

BigAT

Is there anything to be gained from killing the rock dropping golem in Sen's Fortress? The one you can hit with arrows only.

cj_iwakura

BigAT said:
Is there anything to be gained from killing the rock dropping golem in Sen's Fortress? The one you can hit with arrows only.

Satisfaction, I suppose. And less rocks.

And Raw is bad? :( I made my Winged Spear raw.

The_Monk

Geek said:
You should be able to find it at the previous location of the Fire Keeper maiden, where you can first upgrade your Estus Flask, below your camp. The game will tell you very clearly when the Black Eye Orb can be used.

Thanks for answering ;)

I want to make a Crystal Ring Shield out of the Butterfly Soul. What exactly is the process and what materials do I need other than the shield and the soul? I know what shield I need to upgrade to +10, but I don't know how to upgrade past +5.

Man

No luck in the other thread.

Need help at the Tomb of
Giants.

How the heck do I get out of there? I'm a measly lvl 31 and these critters are eating me alive. I have lit both bonfires and have reached a 'boss gate' that is closed by the Dark Lords power... How to get out again?

I have homeward bone but this only to the last rested bonfire yes?

lupin23rd

Timber said:
can be farmed off the leeches in the poison swamp in blighttown
I've heard people talk about leeches but don't remember seeing any. A lot of bugs, though. Are they in a specific spot?

I farmed a bunch from slimes in the depths but the drop rate wasn't spectacular.

BigAT said:

1,000 souls, he's just a regular enemy who respawns when you rest at campfires. And using a bow isn't the only way to kill him either.

revolverjgw said:
I want to make a Crystal Ring Shield out of the Butterfly Soul. What exactly is the process and what materials do I need other than the shield and the soul? I know what shield I need to upgrade to +10, but I don't know how to upgrade past +5.

To upgrade past +5 you need to give the blacksmith a Large Amber, found
In the sewers in a chest next to the butcher table.
, and you use Large Titanite Shards to upgrade to +10.

lupin23rd said:
I've heard people talk about leeches but don't remember seeing any. A lot of bugs, though. Are they in a specific spot?

They're all over the place right in the posion swamp. When you're coming back from the cave in the boss is in, if you hug the right wall all the way around the swamp the slugs are very plentiful, and thats's easily the best place I've found so far to farm Large Titanite Shards and Green Titanite shards. Unless you'd rather farm for souls and just buy them, the merchant in
Sen's Fortress
sells them for 4,000 and 5,000 souls, respectively.

Home

fna84 said:
Accidentally hit a NPC..now she's attacking me...

Anyway I can stop her from attacking me or am I boned?

The only way (without restarting altogether or NewGame+) is to head to the belltower area and pay the NPC there to 'absolve your sins'. This cost a very large amount (2000 x your soul level) but will make the NPC normal again.

It's probably best to look up the NPC and see if they sell or do anything worthwhile, and then decide if it's worth it to farm the souls. I accidentally attacked a blacksmith, and had to farm 60k souls to get him back to normal. It sucked. :(

revolverjgw said:

Get a Caduceus Round Shield or something. First get the Large Ember and give it to the guy in Undead parish. This will let you take the Caduceus to +10. Then, later in the game when you get to
Anor Londo
, you will meet a new Blacksmith. Give him your +10 shield and the soul and he will make the Crystal Ring Shield.

scosher

Zeth said:
Anybody have Quelag's Furysword? Already dumped 35 pts in dex (should I stop?). Or would +15 Laito be better in the long run? I like the idea of having a unique weapon.

Friend has it, and he says it's retardedly awesome, in both looks and power. Comparing it to other dex weapons stat-wise, it may also come out as the best there is. Scales at B rank with dex, and at +5, has 270 base fire damage and 90 base physical. And to put it even further ahead of the pack, it also scales with your humanity.

elty said:
Quick questions:

1) Is there anything equivalent to crystal lizard in Demon's Souls?
2) Is there anything equivalent to the insanity talisman in Demon's Souls, or anything that let you cast miracle and spell?
3) Is there any harm to betray your covenant if you don't plan to rejoin them?

1) Yes, but they respawn now if you fail to kill them. Once you do kill them, they won't spawn at that spot until NG+.
2) I think you mean Talisman of Beasts, and afaik, no. :(
3) Other than having to pay up the ass in souls to switch covenants, not really.

PistolPete said:
I accidently struck the female undead merchant. Is there anyway to reset this or do I really have to pay 48000 souls?? I'm level 24 knight and am just starting the depths and have nothing but the Drake sword...everything gives me trouble and would take literally days to grind that many souls.

After you beat boss in Undead Parish
Belltower Gargoyles
and ring the bell, a new NPC shows up at the base of the belltower who can absolve your sins. He can't resurrect dead NPC's though, only make them not hostile.

xir said:
i undersatand the crafting differences between flame and chaos split and magic and enchanted but what are the actual? is +5 chaos/enchanted better than their +10 counterparts?

Not sure about Chaos as I haven't crafted one, but as the purpose of it is to scale with humanity, I assume that with 0 humanity, a Fire +10 weapon would be superior. But at a certain humanity level, Chaos will overtake it. As for Magic vs. Enchanted, it's basically Moon vs. Crescent from Demon's Souls. Moon/Magic has better base damage. Crescent/Enchanted has slightly lower base damage but better Int scaling. I believe if you have at least 40+ (maybe 50) in Int, Enchanted +5 is the way to go.

Timber

lupin23rd said:

I farmed a bunch from slimes in the depths but the drop rate wasn't spectacular.
head northwest from where you first enter the swamp, there's a whole bunch of them there and their drop rate is pretty good. they also drop green titanite, but this is rarer.

cpp_is_king said:
Get a Caduceus Round Shield or something. First get the Large Ember and give it to the guy in Undead parish. This will let you take the Caduceus to +10. Then, later in the game when you get to
Anor Londo
, you will meet a new Blacksmith. Give him your +10 shield and the soul and he will make the Crystal Ring Shield.

weekend_warrior said:
To upgrade past +5 you need to give the blacksmith a Large Amber, found
In the sewers in a chest next to the butcher table.
, and you use Large Titanite Shards to upgrade to +10.

Nice, I've got the goods, now to go get this done. Thanks.

kodt

Banned
What is this Blue Icon with a green arrow right under my endurance bar? It shows up when I equip the Drake Sword.

Man said:
No luck in the other thread.

Need help at the Tomb of
Giants.

How the heck do I get out of there? I'm a measly lvl 31 and these critters are eating me alive. I have lit both bonfires and have reached a 'boss gate' that is closed by the Dark Lords power... How to get out again?

I have homeward bone but this only to the last rested bonfire yes?
backtrack, son! Shouldn't have gone there so early. Now you must pay. But yeah just jet back to the catacombs avoiding anything in your path.

edit: also if you got the second bonfire I assume you also got the thing that lets you light up the joint, that should help.

Septimius

kodt said:
What is this Blue Icon with a green arrow right under my endurance bar? It shows up when I equip the Drake Sword.

All icons that end up there are buff icons. Drake Sword has a passive buff, but I forget what it does. Blue shield with green arrow up means something positive with defense.

Man

-Pyromaniac- said:
backtrack, son! Shouldn't have gone there so early. Now you must pay. But yeah just jet back to the catacombs avoiding anything in your path.

edit: also if you got the second bonfire I assume you also got the thing that lets you light up the joint, that should help.
Thanks. I managed to miss out on the road back up. I had a very special way down it seems, I definitely did not take that route down to my memory (feels like I've been there forever now, since Sunday).

And yes, I got the lamp but I have never really been able to lit it. edit: I hear it will lit if you place it in the left hand...

Varna

This question got buried in the OT. Maybe someone here can help me.

My first character is a high dexterity Wanderer (no magic). Currently using Balder's sword+5 and sporting + 3 Wanderer's gear. Will I find some better weapons I can do normal upgrades on? Will there be a better light set of armor similar to the default gear later on?

Man said:
Thanks. I managed to miss out on the road back up. I had a very special way down it seems, I definitely did not take that route down to my memory (feels like I've been there forever now, since Sunday).

And yes, I got the lamp but I have never really been able to lit it. edit: I hear it will lit if you place it in the left hand...
yeah you gotta use it like you use your shield. Really helpful for that area.

Quikies83

Finally ready to leave Q
uelaags domain
, how can I avoid not having to backtrack all the way through the blight shit and the sewers? I really need to hit a blacksmith ASAP ! Quickest way out?

Quikies83 said:
Finally ready to leave Q
uelaags domain
, how can I avoid not having to backtrack all the way through the blight shit and the sewers? I really need to hit a blacksmith ASAP ! Quickest way out?
Do you know where the bonfire is down in the swamp? Near it there's a water wheel and a bunch of wooden structures that you can climb up. Follow it out and it will take you to Drake's Valley then New Londo Ruins where you can take an elevator up to the Fireside shrine.

Santiako said:
Where should I go after ringing the first bell?
if you found the basement key near the gate where you pulled the lever to make a temp shortcut (after the metal boar), you can go to the entrance of the bridge the red dragon is camping there will be a door there.

Santiako

Cloudius12 said:
if you found the basement key near the gate where you pulled the lever to make a temp shortcut (after the metal boar), you can go to the entrance of the bridge the red dragon is camping there will be a door there.

Cheers. Thanks.

Moofers

If you have the blacksmith return a weapon to "raw", will you get the materials back that you spent on upgrading it?

Moofers

electroshockwave said:
This might be a dumb question but how do I go back to the
Undead Asylum
?
Elevator from firelink to undead parish. a little ways up, there is a broken ledge/platform you gotta jump onto. Follow that around to a birds nest. Curl up.

In the
cataco
mbs there's a spiral staircase that leads to a dead end and I read that there's a blacksmith on down, I've tried falling/jumping but I can't seem to land on any of the rocks on the way down.

cj_iwakura

Question about (post-Anor Londo)

Frampt's evil counterpart. Can I still meet him after getting the Kingvessel, as long as I don't place it on Frampt's basement altar?

Quikies83

electroshockwave said:
Do you know where the bonfire is down in the swamp? Near it there's a water wheel and a bunch of wooden structures that you can climb up. Follow it out and it will take you to Drake's Valley then New Londo Ruins where you can take an elevator up to the Fireside shrine.
Is it a good idea for me to take this route when I've not been to either areas yet? Also, their are no bonfires in either of those places right?

Top Bottom