• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

myco666

theres a third bonfire? I have no idea where or where that horse head thing is :/

theres no lever near the second bonfire (assuming thats the one after
smelter demon
) :(
The third bonfire is in the room with six (?) fire breathing statues before Iron King. There is a ladder on one of the walls. Really easy to miss.

Jintor

I actually found the gutters not too bad. Just keep a torch on hand, light up every single thing you can and take it carefully. I was honestly expecting something terrible by going by some of the things I've read about it but The Gutter wasn't that hard at all, thankfully they didn't stick in any reaaaaaaaally difficult enemies apart from at the start, I hate those fucking things.

Onto
Black Gulch
now so maybe my opinion will change :p

it's not about how hard it is... it's just irritating.

of course I was doing it all hallowed at 50% so even being lightly touched would murder me

Light all the sconces. The area isn't that hard at all tbh. Don't run around in the dark, that's why you have a torch. :)

There's sconces?!?

I feel like im flying through this game. Im 11-12 hours in and ive done Forest of fallen giants, no mans wharf, lost bastille, hunstmans copse, heides tower, and a few others i forget...and in DS1 it took me about 6 or 7 hours jsut to clear undead burg. Im enjoying DS2 alot, cause its more Dark Souls, but there really does seem like something is missing in this. Just cant quite put my finger on it

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like im flying through this game. Im 11-12 hours in and ive done Forest of fallen giants, no mans wharf, lost bastille, hunstmans copse, heides tower, and a few others i forget...and in DS1 it took me about 6 or 7 hours jsut to clear undead burg. Im enjoying DS2 alot, cause its more Dark Souls, but there really does seem like something is missing in this. Just cant quite put my finger on it

I think for me it's that the atmosphere just isn't as good as Demons/Dark Souls. Even major shitholes like The Gutter haven't really drawn me in the way they did in those games. It's a game I'm loving to bits and it's fun as hell to play but from a pure atmosphere/immersive perspective I'm finding it a bit lacking tbh. Then again I don't think even anything in Dark Souls came close to the place that is Tower Of Latria in Demons Souls. Those bell chimes.... :eek:

xuchu

So, just started playing this with Durante's fix and it looks awesome, however I'm having a slight problem with the controls. I'm using a PS3 controller with motioninjoy (I have heard there are better alternatives) and everytime I lock on when there are multiple enemies, the targeting keeps switching like crazy without my input.

When idle, the camera doesn't move around automatically, telling me that it isn't a problem the controller it self. Someone help? :(

Calibus

Could also be that you already have so much experience with the Souls formula that it's helping you move more efficiently through this one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The third bonfire is in the room with six (?) fire breathing statues before Iron King. There is a ladder on one of the walls. Really easy to miss.
it's the room just before the fog gate, the one with the six flamethrower and spike on the wall. you can find a ladder on a wall

got it, thanks guys! although tht didnt do much, as I have pretty much cleared the whole zone anyway. unless this opens up something else

The_Monk

make sure you stay on the platform and you'll only have to fight one guy, then the other two (at least when i played it platform didn't crumble or anything), which i bet is a lot easier than going against three at the same time

you could also explore other areas and come back later

Thanks, will see what other areas I can discover and might give these guys another try. ;)

also, it seems they're weak to lightning so (i'm just telling you this, i would never do this on my first run lol) you can go down majula's hole (with the cat ring) and reach the end of the gutter, get the fragrant branch of yore and unlock the woods so you can buy gold pine resin.
but it's faster and easier to just level up.

I don't think I have that cat ring, might look it up just for curiosity.

legacyzero

Banned

DS1 was my first Souls game. And I literally just got around to finishing it a few days before DS2 hit PC.

I think we just have the game down, because I'm already that far as well. At least I hope that's what's up.

Seriously guys, you wouldn't believe how many times I killed that
chariot
boss with other players. But in my game? Nope.

I think I'm cursed.

novenD

So, I'm about twelve hours into the game, I've beaten
Pursuer
solo and the
Old Dragonslayer
. Unfortunately, I'm feeling kind of down on the whole thing.

The hitboxes are just silly at times; I managed to swing at the
Last Giant
four times while it was toppled and I watched as my mace clipped right through it and it took no damage. I finally got a hit in on the fifth try.

I was also hoping that the reduction or removal of invincibility frames during rolling that FROM mentioned pre-release would also signal that they were planning on fixing some of my pet peeves from DS1; namely, the overreliance on said frames during combat since so many enemies loved inexplicably pivoting in the middle of a swing if you tried dodging to their side. For whatever reason, they decided to make the game rely on IFs just as much as before, except this time your rolls are terrible until you level ADP up. Wonderful.

I don't know. I might just need to spend more time with it, but I'm not enjoying myself as much as I was when I was twelve hours into the first. :/

So, just started playing this with Durante's fix and it looks awesome, however I'm having a slight problem with the controls. I'm using a PS3 controller with motioninjoy (I have heard there are better alternatives) and everytime I lock on when there are multiple enemies, the targeting keeps switching like crazy without my input.

When idle, the camera doesn't move around automatically, telling me that it isn't a problem the controller it self. Someone help? :(

That sounds like a dead zone issue on the right thumbstick. Is that something you can adjust in motioninjoy?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im not "defending" myself for cheesing
Iron King
with 2 dudes, as I said earlier, nor am I really that good in these games (even if I love them) nor do I care, but killing that boss did make me think how some bosses seem much easier with certain builds. One of the dudes helping me was just spamming the boss with light spears, while I had to try and get close to hit him with my sword.

I guess in the end its like street fighter, if its in the game its fair game lol

I think for me it's that the atmosphere just isn't as good as Demons/Dark Souls. Even major shitholes like The Gutter haven't really drawn me in the way they did in those games. It's a game I'm loving to bits and it's fun as hell to play but from a pure atmosphere/immersive perspective I'm finding it a bit lacking tbh. Then again I don't think even anything in Dark Souls came close to the place that is Tower Of Latria in Demons Souls. Those bell chimes.... :eek:

Yeah the atmosphere is good and all but just not up to the standard od DeS/DS. And the overall art direction doesnt seem as good either. Not saying its bad, cause it isnt, but soem stuff has made me go "..really?" like the giant bird-men statues in Heides tower...it looks like something out of generic fantasy 101. And alot of the enemy designs are just bland.

There have been a few great areas, i actually thought huntsmans copse was really atmospheric..loved the poison urn and the creepy laugh that comes out of them. Its a great game for sure, but so far id definitely put it at the bottom of the list of souls games

Rhaknar

whats up with this
bell dude in front of a fog door after using a pharros stone in iron keep
? is this the famous pvp zone or whatever it is?

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
So,
Royal Rat Authority
, how am I supposed to survive more than ten seconds?

AngryMoth

Can't quite understand if ADP is worth it or not.

Does it really lower reaction times and increases iframes or not?
Definitely increases i-frames but doesn't affect the speed of animations. I think there was some talk that it might lower recovery time from some animations but I don't know if that's true.

I find that 20 is enough to reliably roll through attacks in pvp.

Ditch MotionInJoy.

Arkanius

That was it? The LG Knight fight was pretty stupid easy (Im SL 146). I only had Benhard summoned and I was with the Red Eye ring so the knight always attacked me. It was easy as hell to avoid everything. And I saw no player invasions?

Arkanius

So,
Royal Rat Authority
, how am I supposed to survive more than ten seconds?

Kill the rats first. Then stay under him to avoid all the attacks. Use a Tower Shield or something to survive his headbutts if you are unfortunate

xuchu

That sounds like a dead zone issue on the right thumbstick. Is that something you can adjust in motioninjoy?

Hmmm...turned the deadzone all the way up tried and then turned the deadzone all the way down and tried. Still the same issue. Any other controller driver alternatives to motioninjoy?

UrbanRats

Definitely increases i-frames but doesn't affect the speed of animations. I think there was some talk that it might lower recovery time from some animations but I don't know if that's true.

I find that 20 is enough to reliably roll through attacks in pvp.

I just started a new character (previous one was just a quick test) and started warrior, i brought ADP from 5 to 10 so far, but i was wondering if i was imagining a difference or not.
I'll start dumping in VItality or Vigor then.

AngryMoth

That was it? The LG Knight fight was pretty stupid easy (Im SL 146). I only had Benhard summoned and I was with the Red Eye ring so the knight always attacked me. It was easy as hell to avoid everything. And I saw no player invasions?
SL146 is very high for that point in the game so it's unlikely you would get invaded.

Loving this, hard to say if I'm enjoying it more than the first but definitely enjoying getting in at the ground level. Managed to pick up way too much about the first before I even played it.

Got about 15 hours in and then a mate started playing to made a new character to help him out a little. Have to say the co-op works brilliantly.

Jintor

Whelp after whining about the gutters, just ran through all the way through posion asshole gulch and chopped that big blob of flesh up into tiny pieces.

feels goodman.

Vuze

I'm melee, So I like to keep close on him. Roll at the last second, and then beat the shit out of him once his attack is done. He's pretty slow.

Yeah, I'm trying, but 99% of my deaths are caused by dual thrust combo, can't stand that with my current max hollow health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom