• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

Oh wow, I didn't expect that article to go up today already.

The part I personally like best (because I'm an IQ nut) is this:
aa_compare2.gif

I see myself re-using this image forever and ever to show people what I mean by the "temporal stability" of AA methods, and the weaknesses of post-processing AA. I've wanted to make something like it (in a real game context, not just my AA testing application) forever, and this article finally gave me the necessary push.

I generally get 40-60 FPS depending on where I am in the game at 4xSGSSAA/1440p on my 770.

Thanks for chiming in, and for all your hard work on DS1 and the excellent article on DS2! Really appreciate your work.

I am looking forward to running this at least at 4x SGSSAA then! Can't wait.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So is there no way to direct where the pre-load goes? I keep most of my games on my larger HDD but steam is installed on my smaller SSD. Usually installing a game gives me an option of where to put it but the pre-load seems to just...go.

Guess no pre-load then :(.

Unless I can move it when I install the previously downloaded preload?

I'm pretty sure you can move it after it's been installed.

Try this http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

I used it for GTA4 a while back and it worked fine. I plan to use it for DS2 when it's unlocked.

KePoW

Banned
I see myself re-using this image forever and ever to show people what I mean by the "temporal stability" of AA methods, and the weaknesses of post-processing AA. I've wanted to make something like it (in a real game context, not just my AA testing application) forever, and this article finally gave me the necessary push.

Yeah but doesn't SGSSAA require significantly more power? Of course it's going to look better than post-processing AA.

I don't think anyone is debating that... the question is if it's worth a 20 to 30 fps drop to someone. As an example, if it brings someone's performance down below 40 or 30 fps, then I say it's not worth it.

DoctorZ

Glad I waited before going too deep into the PS3 version. Sold that copy and getting it from GMG.

Yeah but doesn't SGSSAA require significantly more power? Of course it's going to look better than post-processing AA.

I don't think anyone is debating that... the question is if it's worth a 20 to 30 fps drop to someone. As an example, if it brings someone's performance down below 40 or 30 fps, then I say it's not worth it.

If it brought my framerate down below 60 fps I'd say it isn't worth it. 60 fps is the main reason I am getting the PC version.

Durante

Well, yes, but the problem is that 99% of the comparisons people do are based on still images, not in motion. A still image fails to show the huge improvement in stability that more advanced AA methods achieve.

KarmaCow

So any word on how the game handles 16:10 resolutions? I'd rather not have 16:9 with black bars but I wouldn't want to just stretch the image either.

Can't blame Durante for not wanting to write a custom hack, but its really unfortunate that AMD users are screwed, I cant supersample and won't get the hbao+ either, his previous fix was so easy to use and was card agnostic, so sad right now.

Based Duranted again.

Really looking forward to the next article, wondering what magic can be achieved with some direct game modding (native HBAO+, Higher SMAA modes?!, Temporal AA, hacky stuff like SSR, 120fps?!). Who knows!

Yeah but downsampling is IMO not worth the trade off of destroying your refresh rate. Anything lower than 100hz looks really shaky in my eyes now adays.

Dr Dogg

Oh wow, I didn't expect that article to go up today already.

The part I personally like best (because I'm an IQ nut) is this:
aa_compare2.gif

I was reading PCG Wikis Port Report articles a while back and always liked the template they used to show the effects of each AA implementation and how it effects edge aliasing, texture aliasing, texture blurring ect but because they use still images doesn't show temporal instability. I think you've just shown people a new trick ;)

This and your article on Beyond have really had some nifty techniques, demonstrations and examples which so easily show the benefits of good AA, that I can't believe aren't that common in comparison articles. You should go patent that quick hahaha.

Good work as always and hope you're not too busy to do some more of these in the future.

KarmaCow

How odd, that would be Thursday night on the east coast in NA, not even midnight.

edit: though that would be midnight in the UK. :eek:

saxman717

Banned
Originally Posted by Grief.exe

This is actually the current GMG code

GMG025-EASTER-024HRS

Definitive version of the next installment in one of the finest gaming series of all time for $37.50? Just preordered the stuffing out of that ---- thanks for the code! Friday can't get here fast enough.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom