• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braag

Heh, yeah. I found backstabs and parries really hard with all the extra enemies around. Finding a shield with good stability was important.

I'm playing a warrior so a shield with 100 damage reduction would be great, I'm using the one I got at the beginning which is 85 I think. When they gang up around me and I keep blocking their attacks they can eat up half of my health pretty fast.
In dark souls you got a 100 damage reduction shield right at the beginning which made things much more easier.

Grab the 95% physical reduction shield from the merchant in Majula.

Oh I'll have to check that out.

Feltrol

Banned
Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit, I did it, I accidently killed both another phantom and the summoner during the
Pursuer
Boss fight D:.
Now my small soapstone won't work anymore :(.

I did that way too much (unintentionally) and I can still play online using the Small Soapstone.

Sullichin

So.. for Ring of Blades +2
Bad idea to ascetic
the first Castle Drangleic bonfire? I'm not going to respawn any bosses there right?

Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit, I did it, I accidently killed both another phantom and the summoner during the
Pursuer
Boss fight D:.
Now my small soapstone won't work anymore :(.

Edit: Nevermind it's back to normal again :D.

Did you
shoot them with the ballista like a jerk? That has happened to me. :D

Man, people have really high poison resistance. I thought I'd try out Poison Mist, followed by 3 direct hits with poison arrows, and still nothing. No trolling permitted, I suppose.

And judging distances in pretty tricky in PvP. Visuals alone are not enough to guarantee you're far away enough to not be hit by an attack.

eot

Banned
As for areas that have few bonfires, of which No Mans Wharf is the longest I think, they were tougher with my sorcerer than with my strength guy, I think the first time through with my sorcerer I was more or less out of magic when I hit the boat, though I'd opened the shortcut which made getting back a bit easier. At that point I hadnt adopted my now standard boss approach of dropping a white soapstone first as I didnt realise it regenerated your resources, so I had to trod back to the bonfire and then fight back through via the shortcut. That didnt make the area more difficult or more fun, it just made it more tedious. I also said that maybe I'd be out of Estus at times, not that I was always out, but like the bonfires estus flasks also function differently (which feeds back into bonfires working differently), with the additional healing items you arent reliant purely on spells or estus for healing. Which means you arent relying solely on bonfires to charge them, which in turn means finding a bonfire isnt a big event, which in turn means that how many of them there are doesnt particularly matter as it doesnt have as big an impact on difficulty either way. Again I think your perception of what the bonfires are is tied up in what they were in DS. But hey, this is all subjective so Im happy to agree to disagree on it.

I don't want to argue endlessly, because I doubt we'll agree on this, but I just want to give a concrete example.
In Earthen Peak there are six enemies between the first and second bonfire, and three optional ones. All but two of them are fodder. Between the second and third there are four enemies, three fire mages and one knight with a blue tipped spear. I think it's a pacing issue, there is no tension and release going between those bonfires. It's also the worst offender I've seen so it's not representative of the whole game.

I feel a little stuck. I defeated the
Duke's Dear Freja
and I'm finding it difficult to go some place I haven't already been. The poison pool is a lost cause because everytime I roll through the poison at the entrance I die soon after. I ran out of the cure all potions(of which I only had three anyway.

DukeBobby

Y'know,
Ancient Dragon
wouldn't be that annoying to fight if he wasn't so hard to get to in the first place.

Fuck those long stairs.

I feel a little stuck. I defeated the
Duke's Dear Freja
and I'm finding it difficult to go some place I haven't already been. The poison pool is a lost cause because everytime I roll through the poison at the entrance I die soon after. I ran out of the cure all potions(of which I only had three anyway.

Never roll through those pools! It will drench you in poison in addition to the normal poison buildup which will make the poison build up even when you're out of the pool for quite a while. Just run through it normally.

So, is it worth leveling up adaptability in this game?

Definitely. Everything just goes way smoother with around 100 agility. You drink estus faster and get some more i-frames and to me it feels like you can do certain actions a bit better after a roll or being hit, like blocking.

So I I was thinking of going with a dex build but just found the
Drangleic Sword
. Would it be worth it to pump strength to 25 so I can use that weapon early game? I guess it's not much of a dex build after that though.

It would at least open up a lot of different weapons for you. That's not the worst thing when you're still trying to figure out what to stick with.

Lord Phol

Drangleic Sword
. Would it be worth it to pump strength to 25 so I can use that weapon early game? I guess it's not much of a dex build after that though.

LiK

Drangleic Sword

do you like the move set? that's the important question.

xBladeM6x

I'm convinced I can't beat
Ancient Dragon
as a melee.
It's fucking one hit kill fire AOE is total bullshit, and it's nearly impossible to escape, even if you're prepared for it.

Ancient Dragon
as a melee.
It's fucking one hit kill fire AOE is total bullshit, and it's nearly impossible to escape, even if you're prepared for it.

I did it. So can you.

Use lightning infused weapon, Sunlight Blade, and stay near his tail and back legs, keep stamina to run as soon as he flies up to do the AoE

fade_

Ancient Dragon
as a melee.

Basically if he starts flapping his wings run for your life.

Gazoinks

Do Soul Spear Barrage and Soul Shower do decent damage at high Int? Both cool spells, but their damage seems too low right now to really be worth using (my Int's around 25).

Also, what? Why do spiders drop Ricard's Rapier? Weird!

xBladeM6x

I did it. So can you.

Use lightning infused weapon, Sunlight Blade, and stay near his tail and back legs, keep stamina to run as soon as he flies up to do the AoE

Where to run is my problem. He'll be on the ground an I'm standing there after swiping at his legs a couple of times, waiting for him to do it. When he finally does, I try to run for his tail, but everytime I do he seems to just do a 180 spin and his face is right above me and I literally can't run anywhere safe and I'm fucked.

Do Soul Spear Barrage and Soul Shower do decent damage at high Int? Both cool spells, but their damage seems too low right now to really be worth using (my Int's around 25).

Also, what? Why do spiders drop Ricard's Rapier? Weird!

They drop all kinds of weapons...It's just weird, don't worry. :p

Speaking of, does anyone here have any of those really highly rated messages? (Like, 200+ votes). It's got to get annoying always having "Your message has been rated" popping up. Heh.

(My highest rated message is one that just says "Visions of Dark..." under the tent in Majula...no idea why anybody even rates that one, it's awful.)

I have one of those in the
Abyss.
It always seems to get rated right as I'm dying as if to mock me. :(

Time to start running around and finding places to put funny messages.

Speaking of, does anyone here have any of those really highly rated messages? (Like, 200+ votes). It's got to get annoying always having "Your message has been rated" popping up. Heh.

(My highest rated message is one that just says "Visions of Dark..." under the tent in Majula...no idea why anybody even rates that one, it's awful.)

Where to run is my problem. He'll be on the ground an I'm standing there after swiping at his legs a couple of times, waiting for him to do it. When he finally does, I try to run for his tail, but everytime I do he seems to just do a 180 spin and his face is right above me and I literally can't run anywhere safe and I'm fucked.
Yeah, that's the hard part. I finally did it by baiting his stomp attacks, and only had to dodge two AoE.

Pedersen

Holy moly just had a heart attack.
Took out the one sentinel by the first platform and saw another on the other platform, so I tried to get as far to the edge as possible so I could maybe snipe him with my lightning spears, and suddenly BOOOOMCRASHBANG!! A third sentinel jumps up and throws me down to my death! Had to just quit and take a moment to collect myself after that. So unexpected and loud.

That was frustrating, just spent an hour trying to Sunbro Smelter and the hosts incessantly get wrecked by him in seconds. Only got one competent guy who won out of 7 or 8 attempts. I love that fight, but it is not recommended for getting your Sun Medals.

Garcia

Maaaan, Co-op during NG+ is a whole 'nother beast! Feels like simultaneously speed running the game. Holy crap, wonderful feeling!

Rich!

A good place to farm souls in
iron keep

After the second (I think) bonfire, you're at an outdoor area with an archer infront of you and two sentrys below. Kill, run back to bonfire and repeat until they stop spawning (9k souls a time). Then there's a door on the right to two hammer weilding enemies over a bridge - this whole section is a horrible gauntlet that can be ran through - run through it all as quick as you can, and then when you get to the statue that breathes fire, any enemies that follow you get killed. thousands and thousands of souls, easy.

xBladeM6x

Yeah, that's the hard part. I finally did it by baiting his stomp attacks, and only had to dodge two AoE.

To be completely honest, out of all the nerfs I was reading about, the 1-hit KO of this boss is the only thing that should be. There's difficulty, and then there's tedious lazy bullshit.

eot

Banned
Belfry Sol
Three black phantom mobs right outside the door and you get invaded as soon as you enter. I ain't even mad because I can just go through again and not get invaded for a while, just seems kinda dumb.

edit:
I rang the bell, what does that do?

Maaaan, Co-op during NG+ is a whole 'nother beast! Feels like simultaneously speed running the game. Holy crap, wonderful feeling!

I'm kind of exhausted with making progress and boss fight at the moment lol. I'm just hanging around in Ng PvP'ng and working on my achievements and finishing up my gear. i think i'll get around to Ng+ in a few days but I'm kind of intimidated.

A good place to farm souls in
iron keep

After the second (I think) bonfire, you're at an outdoor area with an archer infront of you and two sentrys below. Kill, run back to bonfire and repeat until they stop spawning (9k souls a time). Then there's a door on the right to two hammer weilding enemies over a bridge - this whole section is a horrible gauntlet that can be ran through - run through it all as quick as you can, and then when you get to the statue that breathes fire, any enemies that follow you get killed. thousands and thousands of souls, easy.

DUDE. Spoilers don't work if you put the entirety of the spoiler's context in the spoiler.

Why is it so hard for people to understand this.

"I wonder what area is good to farm souls in OH IT'S
IRON KEEP
GREAT I DIDN'T KNOW THAT AREA EXISTED THE GAME IS RUINED."

Ain't hard, dude. Hell, just say the name of the area. The name of the area doesn't spoil anything.

AHA-Lambda

Can anyone tell me how weapon infusion works?

I've got the Heide Knight Sword +6 and want to infuse it with lightning, how do I go about doing that? Do I need to get it to +10 first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom