• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
I fully support our new Japanese wave of PC games.

I've been buying ports on PC out of that pricinpal alone. It's been working out quite nicely. I would have never played Revengeance otherwise, which would have been a HUGE mistake.

UnrealEck

Seems it's been a top seller on Steam for the past couple of days. Plus it was top seller within an hour of being put on Steam.

JLeack

Banned
Wait, so this game is supposed to be more welcoming than DS1?

Lolwut? I've died so many times in DS2 so far. Even moreso than DS1 I think.

xBladeM6x

I've been buying ports on PC out of that pricinpal alone. It's been working out quite nicely. I would have never played Revengeance otherwise, which would have been a HUGE mistake.

I still need to pick this up.

I'm in the same boat, really. I try to buy Japanese releases as they appear, even if it isn't my cup of tea. For example, Dynasty Warriors 8 in May.
I refuse to play any MGS game that isn't MGS5 on the PC.

ESPECIALLY when it was said it was running on a 670. Like come the fuck on kojima.
But... Revengeance is actually very very good. And also, I'm sure ignoring a Metal Gear game is likely to have them port MGSV.

Gvaz

Banned

I refuse to play any MGS game that isn't MGS5 on the PC.

ESPECIALLY when it was said it was running on a 670. Like come the fuck on kojima.

mannerbot

It's from the ars tecnica piece where they polled random steam accounts over 2 months to determine sales and other statistics.

I don't really believe it since numbers 1 year ago were like 2.3 million across all platforms. And even if a million copies were sold just for PC the vast majority were probably from <$10 sales.

El Phenicks

Neo Member
Started pre-loading.

I've kinda spoiled myself a bit with mattheymatosis' critique and DSP's fails, I just hope there's some content there that is on par with pre Anor Londo stuff.

Can't wait for Friday to come

Gvaz

Banned
The 1.4M numbers is from the ars tecnica piece where they polled random steam accounts over 2 months to determine sales and other statistics.

Those are some interesting numbers.

Best thing to take from that is that 16% of the owners of Dark Souls 1 have never played it.

Witcher 2 is even higher.

Why would you buy a game and never play it?

I can understand Mirror's Edge, where it's been in a bundle (almost 50% of owners have never played it) but come on

KarmaCow

Best thing to take from that is that 16% of the owners of Dark Souls 1 have never played it.

I can understand Mirror's Edge, where it's been in a bundle (almost 50% of owners have never played it) but come on

Massive discounts during sales + highly recommended = I'll buy it on sale now and play it later

I bought Witcher 2 for that reason but after spending a day downloading it and then my HDD failing on me, I just haven't bothered to download the 18GB + whatever mods all over again on my poor connection.

Though I did play it, but that intro chapter was really boring.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

"Hi my name is Steam, have you met my daughter, Steamsale?"

Grief.exe

Those examples you chose are fine, but don't put too much stock in the played games numbers.

Many of those games were released before 2009 when those weren't tracked.

"Hi my name is Steam, have you met my daughter, Steamsale?"

Steam has a son too, called Game Count. Sometimes people just buy stuff on a sale to boost the game count.

Anyway, I hope someone reaches the Mirror Knight aka Looking Glass Knight on PC... (To me, this boss was the one that showed the downgrade in its whole power since the original battle displayed in early versions was impressive as hell, full of cool visual effects) It's the ever-present doubt that is slowly crawling in my mind.

If only based Durante could shed some light (heh) into this matter...

Also, was his third article posted yet?

I bought this during the Steam summer sale in 2011 and have yet to even install it.

I don't know why either. I even waited until I completed the first one before I bought it.

It looks nice in my games library though. :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't really believe it since numbers 1 year ago were like 2.3 million across all platforms. And even if a million copies were sold just for PC the vast majority were probably from <$10 sales.

Are . . are you mad that somebody said Dark Souls sold well on PC? Why are you trying so hard to make this "it doesn't count" argument?

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
How do I enable rumble on my PS4 controller using the Xinput to PS4 Wrapper (using latest version 1.3)? Need that rumble for Dark Souls 2. First time using my PS4 controller on my PC!

elohel

I started a new character >_>
The souls addiction is real.
I don't know if I'll manage to finish the game with him before Dark Souls 2 comes out, but I'll sure make it past Ornstein and Smough.

beat the first one first....

that feel...

great experience overall

Azar

Dark Souls 2 has native Xbox 360 controller supports, button icons, etc. I've used a wireless Xbox 360 controller on PC no problem.

Grief.exe

Namco's customer support probably told Total Biscuit, "what the hell are you talking about?"

I'm guessing he tried it on a new install of windows and didn't install drivers. Also, sometimes games doesn't recognize the controller I'd you plug it in after you start the game.

xBladeM6x

Dark Souls 2 has native Xbox 360 controller supports, button icons, etc. I've used a wireless Xbox 360 controller on PC no problem.

Fun+Fact+Leviticus+is+a+set+or+religious+_319efab1548c8e5db6f1ff388ddf02c0.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

The 1.4M numbers is from the ars tecnica piece where they polled random steam accounts over 2 months to determine sales and other statistics.

For some credibility, after releasing their numbers some actual publishers/devs reached out to them and told them "These were the actual sales figures we have to compare against." The end result was that no actual hard number was more than 10% off from their tested estimates, with some being far less than 10%.

So it's pretty accurate but if you want to be stingy, take the low estimate and it'll probably be fairly accurate.

That means Dark Souls PC sales - only on Steam (so doesn't include physical purchases/GFWL purchases) likely come to somewhere between

1231745 and 1505466

copies.

I played Dark Souls on PS3, rebought on PC for cheap, never played it. I've wanted to, but now with 2 coming I've held off, and also I want to wait until after GFWL gets removed since I dunno what happens to saves.

I played Dark Souls on PS3, rebought on PC for cheap, never played it. I've wanted to, but now with 2 coming I've held off, and also I want to wait until after GFWL gets removed since I dunno what happens to saves.

I think saves for DS are on Steamcloud, as I moved from laptop to my first desktop build and all of my previous save progress was still intact after a fresh install.

Not sure if it's a GFWL thing or not though.

Grief.exe

Saves will always be fine. Someone will find a way to make them compatible.

Having beaten the game twice on my PS3 and waiting for the PC version to come for my 3rd playthrough I decided to give DS1 a go on my PC again today and if the PC version of DS2 looks as good as that then I'll be happy.

Also DS1 feels really weird to play now after so much DS2

JLeack

Banned
Having beaten the game twice on my PS3 and waiting for the PC version to come for my 3rd playthrough I decided to give DS1 a go on my PC again today and if the PC version of DS2 looks as good as that then I'll be happy.

Also DS1 feels really weird to play now after so much DS2

DS2 on PC is way better. Runs like a boss.

AmyS

Pretty pointless footage as you can't discern much about the quality from it. You can deduce load times I guess which are noticeably shorter than my disc PS3 version

Well,

Although Youtube doesn't play videos at 60fps it is easy for me to tell the framerate seems way smoother than the PS360 versions (and we all know it will be on modest PCs) in general without knowing the actual framerate those PCs were putting out.

I'd tend to agree with you somewhat if you were talking in terms of graphic quality. We know the amount of geometry detail and lighting are not like the early footage. The native res, texture detail and some shader effects are going to be better but that isn't really discernible from this footage. However the overall smoothness? Heck yeah.

Subscribed to the thread, but I'm backing the fuck out of it until the game is unlocked.

Potential spoilers and screenshots in the thread and I don't want to ruin my virginal experience with the potential GOTY.

Can we beat the console OT? 30+ pages when the game hasn't released yet says yes, we can! Go forth my fellow PC brethren, and propagate this thread.

Started pre-loading.

I've kinda spoiled myself a bit with mattheymatosis' critique and DSP's fails, I just hope there's some content there that is on par with pre Anor Londo stuff.

Can't wait for Friday to come
Oh don't worry there is. It's interesting really, dark souls 2 first half feels a lot like hunting for the lord souls in the first. But once you get past that, the game rivals, and even surpasses anything the original had to offer.

It's odd really, despite the fact that I found the highs to be higher and the lows to be lower in Dark Souls 2 compared to the OG, I still feel as if it is a more consistent package overall. Take heart in the fact that there's no massive sudden drop in quality like post anor londo in Dark Souls 2.

erawsd

Subscribed to the thread, but I'm backing the fuck out of it until the game is unlocked.

Potential spoilers and screenshots in the thread and I don't want to ruin my virginal experience with the potential GOTY.

Can we beat the console OT? 30+ pages when the game hasn't released yet says yes, we can! Go forth my fellow PC brethren, and propagate this thread.

Well that console thread hit like 120 pages before release lol. I remember that since some folks were using that to dump on Titanfall.

Anybody know when GMG sends the codes? I bought the game from them back when they had the $40 deal and I assume they'll send it tomorrow but I'd like to confirm nobody else has received theirs already.

Well now I feel like an idiot haha, never considered that. But then again it's my first GMG bought game. Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sure to stop by to complain about X boss being cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom