• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look what was in the mail today!

noice.png

Orayn

question
those who got the physical version of the game, will they be able to play it ?

Might be able to install the game files and have them not be encrypted the way a preload would be, but the game itself will still be locked by Steam and not playable until it unlocks for everyone. Not entirely sure about offline mode.

I got spoiled about a few covenants and checked out a few areas myself (mostly the beginning ones) on the console, but have no idea about how the story will go. That makes me pretty satisfied to start the game.

Anyway, what's the best class for a dex build? Something that would be quick but keep a strong melee feature too? I was looking at the Knight.

Knight is a good starting class. You'll have good survivability at 12 vigor, a decent jump on adaptability, and few wasted points in intelligence, faith, and attunement (supposing you decide to go pure melee). You won't regret the points in strength because (a) you'll need them to use the best dex weapons, and (b) one more point will give you access to the mace, which can carry you through the early-game until you've had time to build up your dex.

Bandit has, I believe, even fewer wasted points if you're going for pure dex, but I think Knight's stat distribution is better for the early-game, and one point or two points isn't going to make a big difference in the long run.

sprinkles

question
those who got the physical version of the game, will they be able to play it ?
There is a Steam code in the box in addition to the DVDs. The game is Steamplay so you cannot play it before it unlocks.
But as my gaming PC (built last spring) does not even have a DVD or BR drive I could not play it even if it used some other DRM.

L.O.R.D

Might be able to install the game files and have them not be encrypted the way a preload would be, but the game itself will still be locked by Steam and not playable until it unlocks for everyone. Not entirely sure about offline mode.

yah, i also think that
i have counter strike CD too that have steam key
i can install it but i have to activate it through steam to able to play the game
but,if i can use modified version of the game launcher to play offline , that will be cool
but that wasy i can't get achievements or cloud saving

Durante

Here's a video:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/6558ivxmd5ul94t/+_Dark_Souls_II_04.12.2014_-_14.08.39.99.mp4
(Use the download function!)

It's very early in the game (I went to that location first), and I didn't use SweetFX yet I believe. And, as I said, it's running on a 770 at 2560x1440 with 4xSGSSAA, so it's not a solid 60 FPS. IQ is pretty damn nice though if I do say so myself.

I'll happily host that for you if you want :)
I really really need to finish that community upload function on my site...
You're more than welcome, I don't know how long Mediafire will keep it up.

xBladeM6x

PixelVision?
Metro for Steam is the superior skin.

http://metroforsteam.com/

Preach it.

Here's a video:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/6558ivxmd5ul94t/+_Dark_Souls_II_04.12.2014_-_14.08.39.99.mp4

It's very early in the game (I went to that location first), and I didn't use SweetFX yet I believe. And, as I said, it's running on a 770 at 2560x1440 with 4xSGSSAA, so it's not a solid 60 FPS. IQ is pretty damn nice though if I do say so myself.

That video.

giphy.gif

bj00rn_

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how I'll react to the experience now after having over the last months turning my own hype into repugnance over how the game appears to have turned out.

Arkanius

Here's a video:

It feels so unreal. Like something is off.
30 fps is truly the cinematic and true experience. /s

xBladeM6x

It feels so unreal. Like something is off.
30 fps is truly the cinematic and true experience. /s

Get Dark Souls 1 on PC, get DSFix, and while running around Firelink Shrine, press the backspace button. Watch how jarring it is (bad) to go from 60 FPS to 30 FPS instantly.

I noticed the /s so don't worry, just telling people to go do this. :3

Sullichin

Here's a video:

So... about the resolution settings in-game. I can't actually select a resolution higher than my native res (1080p). Expected, but I thought the game had "built in" support for downscaling, guess not?

Here's a video:

Thanks. Gonna check this out later.

sprinkles

Here's a video:

Thank you for the video. Another occasion for me to rue my choice of graphics card a year ago. No downsampling on my 7950 is just a bummer when I look at videos or images like yours.

Arkanius

Hey Durante:

Let's talk audio.
How is the positional audio? Do we get good 5.1 output?
And for headphone users, do we get binaural audio (with positioning) or just lazy 2ch audio?

Durante

Thank you for the video. Another occasion for me to rue my choice of graphics card a year ago. No downsampling on my 7950 is just a bummer when I look at videos or images like yours.
Don't worry.

Let's talk audio.
How is the positional audio? Do we get good 5.1 output?
And for headphone users, do we get binaural audio (with positioning) or just lazy 2ch audio?
Positional audio worked well for me on my 4.1 setup (unlike DS1 PC in the initial release). I didn't try headphones, but I wouldn't expect binaural -- few games do that right :(.

Arkanius

Don't worry.

Positional audio worked well for me on my 4.1 setup (unlike DS1 PC in the initial release). I didn't try headphones, but I wouldn't expect binaural -- few games do that right :(.

Guess I'll use CMSS-3D then.
Audio has a long way to go again on the PC. TruAudio from AMD gave me some glimmer of hope in the future, but the technology exists right now (OpenAL) and developers rarely use it.

Kade

I remember From saying that they were working on the keyboard and mouse controls for the game. Any impressions on those? I'll probably be playing with a controller anyways but it would be nice to know what the improvements are.

Gurrry

The only reason I want to buy DS2 immediately is to stream my no death runs.

If my PC couldnt really play DS1 and stream without significant in-game FPS loss, do you think i might be able to with DS2? Seeing as its much more optimized this time around, im hoping my rig could pull it off..

En-ou

i played a bit of DS1 last night. still looks fantastic in 3D. the architecture and art direction in this game feels so organic and real. can't wait for friday!

Grief.exe

Here's a video:

Guys, Air is the best Steam skin, y'all dun goofed

disableaayoroswagurmkoz.png

Durante, you are pumping out the damage there.

Metro greys out games you do not have installed, while Air keeps things fresh and clean.

I've been singing Air's praises for the better part of a year now. I really like the minimal look.

DvPPss0.jpg

Sendero

Are we going to get our own Spoiler/Tips thread, or are those going to be handled here?

Also, for those that already completed the game on Consoles.. is there any case where interacting with NPCs at the wrong time or go to certain place first, "break" their quest line? 'Cause that's the only part I WANT to be spoiled about.

Arjen

Are we going to get our own Spoiler/Tips thread, or are those going to be handled here?

Also, for those that already completed the game on Consoles.. is there any case where interacting with NPCs at the wrong time or go to certain place first, "break" their quest line? 'Cause that's the only part I WANT to be spoiled about.
Pull the lever

Sullichin

Spoilers? This thread is for posting images of your stream grid view, not talking about Dark Souls II :)

For your question... I don't think so. Just be sure to exhaust dialogue when possible and always be on the lookout for summon signs. Oh and there's that thing Arjen is referring to, but just play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom