• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

I was really disappointed in how incredibly rigid the character creator was even after BB also failed to be as nice as DS2. But I have to say, your DS2 character is frighteningly like one of mine.

mine.png
Holy crap, that is super close :p

looking good btw :)

RiggyRob

I now immediately regret giving Greirat
Loretta's Bone now that he's curling up into a ball and becoming unusable
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pFSFz_Mro&index=11&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5

I'm reminded of (slight Bloodborne spoilers)
Father Gascoigne's daughter where she spiralled into a similar sort of inconsolable state. I hope Pimmsy's right in that we need to give him time to get out of it, but considering that this is Dark Souls... seems more likely that he'll just kill himself to me.

Holy Knight Hodrick was kind of a push over, even if he did have some healing spells - nothing like Uchigatana man. I also can't believe we missed Ludleth the entire time before as well - I'd be right pissed off if we hadn't found someone who can transpose boss weapons!

ecosse_011172

I'm now a L100 Pyromancer
Vigor 25
Attunement 30
Endurance 21
Vitality 8
Strength 20
Dexterity 18
Intelligence 30
Faith 30
Luck 7

Using Pyromancer Glove +10, Chaos Dark Sword +9 and Dark Astora Greatsword+6
Using Chaos Bed Vestiges, Great Chaos Fire Orb, Profaned Flame and Black Fire Orb

I just beat the Twin Princes and am wondering whether to leave it at that till the DLC arrives. Thoughts?
I set foot in Consumed King's Garden, shat it and ran straight back out.
Is it worth doing?

Are there any pyromancies worth getting beyond what I have?

Thanks in advance.

Is it worth doing?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is. By not doing it you miss out on
optional areas,
ending, a Boss that makes cool noises, and IMO the two best bosses in the entire game.

In terms of Pyromancies you're good. If you do PvP though, Black Serpent is nice.

I'm now a L100 Pyromancer
Vigor 25
Attunement 30
Endurance 21
Vitality 8
Strength 20
Dexterity 18
Intelligence 30
Faith 30
Luck 7

Using Pyromancer Glove +10, Chaos Dark Sword +9 and Dark Astora Greatsword+6
Using Chaos Bed Vestiges, Great Chaos Fire Orb, Profaned Flame and Black Fire Orb

I just beat the Twin Princes and am wondering whether to leave it at that till the DLC arrives. Thoughts?
Is it worth doing?

Thanks in advance.

Sacred Flame is a fun close range Pyromancy.

And yes, you should definitely go back to the Consumed King's Garden.

Tarkus

I've rediscovered the weapon that carried through my first playthrough and started my time in PvP in this game: Lothric Knight Sword. Fantastic weapon. Best straight sword moveset. 110 critical and 413 AR Refined on a 40/40. It's so much more than R1-R1-R1-R1.

I've rediscovered the weapon that carried through my first playthrough and started my time in PvP in this game: Lothric Knight Sword. Fantastic weapon. Best straight sword moveset. 110 critical and 413 AR Refined on a 40/40. It's so much more than R1-R1-R1-R1.

I used this on my FTH build and it was great, no shield could protect the people I invaded.

I've started using Demon's Greataxe and I think that it's really good for both PvE and PvP. I find it's really easy to catch people in their rolls with it. The damage is fantastic on a 40/40 build, 735AR with the Clutch Ring and 808AR with Lloyds Ring. I know it's split damage, but it still hits pretty hard.

The weapon art is easy to get away from, but it's nice if you get caught in a gank, since everyone scatters once they see it.

kaos.

Yes, it's my favourite weapon!
It has a very good range and good AR!

ecosse_011172

Yes, it is. By not doing it you miss out on
optional areas,
ending, a Boss that makes cool noises, and IMO the two best bosses in the entire game.

In terms of Pyromancies you're good. If you do PvP though, Black Serpent is nice.
Thanks a lot, sounds good!
I don't willingly do PvP but I'll have a play with Black Serpent anyway.

ecosse_011172

Sacred Flame is a fun close range Pyromancy.

And yes, you should definitely go back to the Consumed King's Garden.
Thanks a lot, my DS 3 days definitely aren't over then :)
As I have Int/Fth at 30/30 I imagine I should level up endurance and maybe attunement a bit more now, is that right ?

Kweh

Haven't been keeping up with the game in the last few months, has any change been made to drop rate of the covenant items?

Tarkus

Haven't been keeping up with the game in the last few months, has any change been made to drop rate of the covenant items?
No that I can tell; however, summon rates for the covenants have greatly improved. I get summoned as a blue about 4 or 5 times per hour at SL120, and that's in between getting summoned with my red sign for duels.

Tarkus

So if I've hit the soft cap. No point in increasing he skill then?
I'm sure if you double the stat requirements of some weapons you might do more damage. The point is that scaling determines how much damage is dealt with stat increases, and each weapon scales differently.

No, not really. Soft caps are where you want to stop unless you're just trying to max out something and don't care about diminishing returns.

So uh I'm in Road of Sacrifices and a woman in a loincloth with a big cleaver sort of weapon attacked me, fell off the edge, and died. Her items are at the bottom off an out of bounds area.

Am I fucked? I hope she wasn't important. :/

Massa

So uh I'm in Road of Sacrifices and a woman in a loincloth with a big cleaver sort of weapon attacked me, fell off the edge, and died. Her items are at the bottom off an out of bounds area.

Am I fucked? I hope she wasn't important. :/

When that happens you can quit the game and the items should be there when you reload.

From what I remember that NPC drops the starting weapon for one of the classes, I don't think it's a big deal.

When that happens you can quit the game and the items should be there when you reload.

From what I remember that NPC drops the starting weapon for one of the classes, I don't think it's a big deal.
Ah yes, that did it. Thanks! :)

I'm still kind of surprised how similar to Bloodborne this is. I played Bloodborne as my first Souls-esque game last year and loved it, so this summer I decided I would finally play the Dark Souls games. Having finished DS 1 and 2 really recently, this game still feels much closer to Bloodborne than those two. Going shieldless also seems like the easier tactic than shielded, which I felt was the easier route in DS1 and the main content of DS2.

God damn it. Beat pontiff sullyvahn. Fuck the shit after that though.

Pontiff is a dicklord, the next place is cool though.

speaking of Pontiff, people that know the lore will probably enjoy this. I'm going to spoiler tag it just incase someone might find it spoilerish.
sAqPRpu.jpg

Wow, Black Knight Shield like hardcounters the Twin Princes

Also, any word on when DLC will come?

Aside from the first DLC dropping this fall and the second DLC dropping early next year, no.

I'm still kind of surprised how similar to Bloodborne this is. I played Bloodborne as my first Souls-esque game last year and loved it, so this summer I decided I would finally play the Dark Souls games. Having finished DS 1 and 2 really recently, this game still feels much closer to Bloodborne than those two. Going shieldless also seems like the easier tactic than shielded, which I felt was the easier route in DS1 and the main content of DS2.

Dark Souls 3 is pretty much like Dark Souls 2 & BB had a baby.

chunk3rvd

I was focused on STR through most of my playthrough so I've been relying on my trusty heavy dork sword to carry me through the game. I didn't want to be too over levelled for any of the bosses (just finished the game at 65). Now that I can start levelling DEX as well, does anyone have any suggestions for the best quality/refined weapons at the moment?

Tarkus

They're built on the same engine, so that's why it feels like BB.

Cat Party

I was focused on STR through most of my playthrough so I've been relying on my trusty heavy dork sword to carry me through the game. I didn't want to be too over levelled for any of the bosses (just finished the game at 65). Now that I can start levelling DEX as well, does anyone have any suggestions for the best quality/refined weapons at the moment?
Black Knight Greatsword is quite a beast for quality.

Soulhouf

I've noticed that my flasks seem to refill by themselves as I kill enemies. What's that about?

Estus refill is like a drop. Some enemies seem to have a higher estus refill drop rate than others and phantoms/invaders have 100% chance to refill your estus when killed.
Also it seems like the fewer estus you have, the higher the chance you get a refill after killing an enemy.

norog

Finally finished my Proof farming! I hated killing the knights so much that I gave in and just puttered around in the game for hours and hours, hoping for a summon. At SL100, seem to be getting summoned once every 2-3 hours, but usually I'd get more than one Proof out of it. Still took way, waaay too long.

Now on to finishing my ring collecting.

How are faith builds for PvM? Thinking of doing a lightning spear build after this run. Fun so far, but only two bosses have caused me grief so far
The pontiff and figuring out Stormbringer with the giant, which then became super easy
. Can't say I care how dour the environments are though, thought Dark Souls 1/2 nailed fantasy better. This is more low fantasy or just plain grime.

RiggyRob

Killed the
Curse-rotted Greatwood
in one try! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt64gjt98uc

I'm glad we managed it in one go, the boss run with the
ballistae constantly firing at us would have been a pain.

I still think it was cheap that they were able to kill me when I was clearly outside of the area where they were landing, that was bullllllllshit - I guess I'll get my revenge on whoever it is later.

Curse-rotted Greatwood's a pretty cool boss, nothing like anything in DS2 or Bloodborne, and I'm glad I had Pimmsy to point out the pustules to me, otherwise I'm not sure I would have managed it.

françois

Killed the
Curse-rotted Greatwood
in one try! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt64gjt98uc

I still think it was cheap that they were able to kill me when I was clearly outside of the area where they were landing, that was bullllllllshit - I guess I'll get my revenge on whoever it is later.

Curse-rotted Greatwood's a pretty cool boss, nothing like anything in DS2 or Bloodborne, and I'm glad I had Pimmsy to point out the pustules to me, otherwise I'm not sure I would have managed it.[/spoiler]

If you find the one responsible for shooting the arrows, you can befriend him so he'll only shoot at the hollow, not at you. Makes that run back really easy.

Caja 117

Im right now in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, I really find this part very hard, died at least 30 times before finding the next Bonfire!

Last night I got home from an 8-day backpacking trip in the mountains. The first thing I did (after showering for an hour) was boot up my PC and play Dark Souls 3. The addiction is still too real.

Im right now in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, I really find this part very hard, died at least 30 times before finding the next Bonfire!
I swear you really need a +6 weapon in that area. Splitting numerous Large Titanite Shards between 2 weapons did not help me at all. I think once you find the Eastern Ashes you can buy them at least...which is well after that part sadly.

Irithyll difficulty spike is REAL. Brace yourself and just run to the next bonfire - they are not that far apart. I found it easier than trying to kill everything on the way to it - always better to backtrack a bit.

RiggyRob

Sorry francois, I'm trying really hard not to reveal spoilers for anything - is it something regarding the boss?

Also, what was the deal with the illusory message being a troll? Was it literally referring to the boss
making a hole in the arena
?

Hehe, yeah there's a pretty noticeable spike in difficulty there. Pretty much every single enemy there is deadly. Those Pontiff Knights and Fire Witches are straight up assholes. And oh man, just wait until you get to the boss. ;)

Top Bottom