• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

grmlin

Yeah the only times I've managed to beat a group of three or four co opers have been when I got lucky with a force miracle, scared the bejezus out of them with status effects so they roll off an edge themselves, trick them into running into some enemies and taking them apart while they dodge attacks, and only once or twice have I managed to take on four people at once.

It really does feel bad getting summoned into a world in Farron or Londo and then recognizing the name as a group of gamers who already destroyed you earlier, have already cleared the area, and already know some of your special tricks. If it werent for all the ledges to jump off of and knock people off, I wouldn't bother with even trying against thanks.

I spawned a lot on top of that tower above the sleeping giants doing Aldrich.

When I saw 4 people waiting for me I returned to my world, I don't even want to try anymore.

Thankfully I was summoned as a blue sentinel yesterday in the exact same place (oh the irony!) and managed to kill two invaders on my own, as the host decided to sit down and watch the spectacle instead. (like I'm the blue guy who is here to help :D)
That was fun and I'm so sad these fights are so rare :(

RiggyRob

Explored the
Consumed King's Garden
after the Dancer of the Boreal Valley bonfire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=G9_AyCA73mg

The
poison mist seems manageable, a lot more so than in Farron Keep, but if we ever get ambushed by the parasites it will not be a fun time.

Also - I hate Lothric Knights, little turtling shits. Doesn't help that I can't consistently do the motion for the kick for some reason, and I despise the way it's implemented.

In my mind, the kick motion should be a normal button press, and a shield parry should be the forward motion + attack like it works in Bayonetta et al instead. Really fucks me off that I can't do it properly.

RiggyRob

I only manage to kick when I don't want to lol

Exactly! You take a hit from an enemy and get staggered, putting a little distance between you and them, so the logical thing to do is move forward and attack.

Wait, why isn't i- oh I'm kicki- dead.

grmlin

Exactly! You take a hit from an enemy and get staggered, putting a little distance between you and them, so the logical thing to do is move forward and attack.

Wait, why isn't i- oh I'm kicki- dead.

funny thing is, that I manage to pull of jumping attacks pretty consistently now, but kicks are like a lottery for me.

RiggyRob

funny thing is, that I manage to pull of jumping attacks pretty consistently now, but kicks are like a lottery for me.

I don't think I've ever used jumping attacks - there's never a situation where a jumping attack would be more useful than the normal or strong attack.

Gorillaz

Does anyone know how the DLC is going to work?

Will it use my old character? Should I start a new build?

It's usually going to be a new item added in some vague area of the world giving you access to a new vague area of the world. You can keep a new character.

I usually like to have either the game done but not go to NG+ or at least halfway through NG+. Usually the entrance to DLC in Soul game requires you to be deep enough in the game.

I don't think I've ever used jumping attacks - there's never a situation where a jumping attack would be more useful than the normal or strong attack.

They are normally used as a surprise element, for example, instead of a running attack you can do a jump attack, which can caught off guard someone that expected a running attack and tried to parry it. Is a guaranteed hit.

RiggyRob

Jumping attacks can be handy in PvP because they can't be parried.

They are normally used as a surprise element, for example, instead of a running attack you can do a jump attack, which can caught off guard someone that expected a running attack and tried to parry it. Is a guaranteed hit.

Ah I see - that's fair enough. I'd say that jumping attacks are too slow to be useful or that you can be hit out of them, but playing mind games in regards to parrying is a valid situation.

Can't imagine what it's like when you're dealing with lag though.

N° 2048

It's usually going to be a new item added in some vague area of the world giving you access to a new vague area of the world. You can keep a new character.

I usually like to have either the game done but not go to NG+ or at least halfway through NG+. Usually the entrance to DLC in Soul game requires you to be deep enough in the game.

Damn don't know if I want to use my first and only character for the DLC.

Might roll a new one.

Gorillaz

Damn don't know if I want to use my first and only character for the DLC.

Might roll a new one.

That was my plan. Trying to see where the location for the dlc will be at first. If it's pretty late in the game I'll hold off NG and do it

If it's early or mid game I'll just re up a new one.

Tarkus

Jumping attacks can be handy in PvP because they can't be parried.
When I see someone doing jumping attacks, they're saying "please backstab me!" :p

Ah I see - that's fair enough. I'd say that jumping attacks are too slow to be useful or that you can be hit out of them, but playing mind games in regards to parrying is a valid situation.

You're counter attack window is also open for the entirety of the jumping attack, so a thrusting weapon with Leo Ring can easily destroy.

When I see someone doing jumping attacks, they're saying "please backstab me!" :p

You're counter attack window is also open for the entirety of the jumping attack, so a thrusting weapon with Leo Ring can easily destroy.

Of course jump attack is risky, but you are supose to do it in the prediction of your oponent next move, if you predict a parry move a jump attack is deadly, if you read that he's gonna roll back after yout first hit jump attack could hit, etc...

A good deal of PvP is about reading your oponent moves and anticipate his actions.Used right, jump attack is a move that can make your game less predictable anf efficient.

Tarkus

Of course jump attack is risky, but you are supose to do it in the prediction of your oponent next move, if you predict a parry move a jump attack is deadly, if you read that he's gonna roll back after yout first hit jump attack could hit, etc...

A good deal of PvP is about reading your oponent moves and anticipate his actions.Used right, jump attack is a move that can make your game less predictable anf efficient.
I thought PvP was just about running R1s and R1 spam from Carthus and Washing Pole :p

Damn you Scott Jund!

For any prospective spellcasters, I compiled the _base_ AR values for all offensive spells, with per-hit AR info (multi-hit stuff like soulmass, lightning spear, etc.).

These values are PRIOR to spell buff / equipment, flat defense, and absorption. Spell buff/spell-boosting equipment can increase spell AR to 200-400%. Conversely, flat defense for elemental damage types can have an enormous impact on the resulting damage.

Tarkus

For any prospective spellcasters, I compiled the _base_ AR values for all offensive spells, with per-hit AR info (multi-hit stuff like soulmass, lightning spear, etc.).

These values are PRIOR to spell buff / equipment, flat defense, and absorption. Spell buff/spell-boosting equipment can increase spell AR to 200-400%. Conversely, flat defense for elemental damage types can have an enormous impact on the resulting damage.
Great work, thanks!

Now if only I didn't have to wear 4 rings and carry a candlestick to be competitive.

Tarkus

How do I build my character if the only Souls game I like is Bloodborne? I'm not just beyond hope, am I?
Run a light armor quality or dex build, utilizing Carthus Bloodring and one of the weapons with quickstep as the skill. I really like the Thrall Axe and Brigand Twindaggers. This will give you maximum mobility and I frames.

grmlin

I'm running the Lothric Knight Sword and enjoy my time in PvE with it a lot.

I feel the need for a harder hitting weapon though. Especially invasions can be tough with it as I have no poise/ hyper armor and not enough damage to kill enemies quickly.

Currently at 40 dex with enough points left to go for quality. I have the Carthus Curved GS on another char (luck/bleed) but don't really want to go that route again.

Any recommendations?
Thanks all!

I feel the need for a harder hitting weapon though. Especially invasions can be tough with it as I have no poise/ hyper armor and not enough damage to kill enemies quickly.

Currently at 40 dex with enough points left to go for quality. I have the Carthus Curved GS on another char (luck/bleed) but don't really want to go that route again.

Any recommendations?
Thanks all!

The Astora Greatsword and Farron Greatsword are pretty good for dex builds wanting some hyper armour.

Tarkus

Any recommendations?
Thanks all!
Hollowslayer Greatsword. Dex weapon with high damage, good speed, and decent hyperarmor.
Does around 515 on my 40/40, D/C scaling.

Edit: oh, and you get +50% damage to hollow type enemies.

RiggyRob

Explored Lothric Castle and reached the Dragon Barracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7a3y-sNsm0&index=65&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5

10 fucking minutes to get to a bonfire that's 30 seconds away from another one. The Lothric Knights ain't bad at their job, I'll give 'em that.

Those spirit dragons in the sky are creepy as shit, and if that wasn't enough notice of the impending apocalypse, the solar eclipse basically throws it in your face. Also, since when did Dark Souls involve actual angels in the series? Everything else seems to be about the Sun or the Dark or the Flame etc., I have literally never seen or heard of anything like the Judeo-Christian angels the Winged Knight set seems to be referring to in the Dark Souls series.

grmlin

Hollowslayer Greatsword. Dex weapon with high damage, good speed, and decent hyperarmor.
Does around 515 on my 40/40, D/C scaling.

Edit: oh, and you get +50% damage to hollow type enemies.

Bought it, upgraded and was summonened for Aldrich. HA, I destroyed the host with it. Very nice!

Edit: oh do I hate that fight against the Twin Princes. That camera always gets me. I do fine until he teleports somewhere out of view and I loose the tracking. So bad and unfun.

grmlin

What I meant was that I completely loose him and can't turn fast enough to search the whole room.

They are down though. Some sunlight bros wanted medals 😉

Stillmatic

Well I managed to farm 30 Proof of a Concord Kept, 30 Vertebra Shackles and 30 Wolf's Blood Swordgrass with 210 luck.

That was fun. :p

grmlin

Well I managed to farm 30 Proof of a Concord Kept, 30 Vertebra Shackles and 30 Wolf's Blood Swordgrass with 210 luck.

That was fun. :p

I did Aldrichs covenant for 10 items in two evenings (because I suck at invasions :D). I got summoned all the time, so the system itself seems to work.

I equipped the blue sentinels one for the rest of my PvE playthrough of the game. I got summoned 3 times. This shit is broken as fuck. I think the problem is that no one wears that stupid covenant to actually summon blue sentinels. Whoever thought this would be a good idea: shame on you!

I'll try the farming thing when I finally find a Symbol of Avarice...

Unless you don't plan to buy the dlc, you should wait how reactivates blue summonings. You could get all these concords without the farming.

That's what I'm doing for the ps4 version. Lol

Stevey

Sorry as I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the building up on this cliff?
(On the bridge to Boreal Valley)

EE675B3138EA94F407001D2C668E7DC254D5C1C5

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Actually wait. I took these screens from the upper part of Farron Keep, well, the wolf covenant tower (that's Farron Keep? or is Farron Keep the building with the Abyss Watchers boss fight?).

This is where the Abyss Watchers boss fight is (Catacombs are directly under), so it's not that building:

1474055648-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160519225519.png

Different angle and you can see Irithyll hidden in the mist further down:

1474055648-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160519225557.png

Soooo maybe it's the Wolf Keep?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Now notice, in the second screen, you see a part of the Undead Settlement above (top left corner). Soooo maybe you can see the Vordt cliff from down below in Irithyll?

Here's the Undead Settlement, seen from the wolf keep IIRC (place with all the pilgrims):

1474055648-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160519225641.png

Here's a screen of the Cathedral of the Deep, taken from the same vintage point but a different side (as I said it's in the opposite direction):

1474055647-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160519224806.png

theBmZ

I could be wrong, but I really think it is the Vordt cliff. Because the cliff slopes down exactly like in that picture.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Another view of the Cathedral, the building shape doesn't look like it at all so it's not that:

1474056063-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160609004919.png

Here's the view of the Vordt cliff:

1474056224-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160421012218.png

Does the building in the back (where you fight the giant tree?) match the shape a bit more, perhaps?

theBmZ

Another view of the Cathedral, the building shape doesn't look like it at all so it's not that:

1474056063-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160609004919.png

Here's the view of the Vordt cliff:

1474056224-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160421012218.png

Does the building in the back (where you fight the giant tree?) match the shape a bit more, perhaps?

In his picture viewing from Irithyll, there is a tree that stands taller than the castle walls. Is there anything like that in the area just before the Vordt fight?

Top Bottom