• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trace

Banned
Enjoying the game, been working on a strength build (not really focusing on leveling up dex, int, or faith), does anyone have a general idea of what would be the best weapons for this type of build?

Currently I'm just guessing stick with the Mace I got, and wait for a large club ala Dark Souls 2, but figured you know there might be other options later.

Fume Ultra Greatsword. 50 Str requirement but the damage is monstrous.

Try out the Butcher Knife, it's got "A" scaling right out of the gate. Don't remember when you get it, but it's somewhere near the beginning of the game. You'll also find some clubs and stuff that have decent STR scaling. And later on there's a crazy Greatsword that's got incredible strength scaling. Oh, and dont forget about Infusions! A heavy gem can make any weapon a Strength based weapon! And as you level up infused weapons, the scaling improves.

Butcher Knife can be found in R
oad
of S
acrifice
. Gotta hop down onto a ledge at some point there.

So what's the consensus on Sorcery/Pyro/Faith right now? Good, bad, so-so?

Pyro seems to be fine right from the start from what ive read here. Lots of people complained about sorcery/faith being too weak in general and that scaling is broken and needs to be fixed. Dunno about faith but i cant confirm that for sorcery. Its rough if you wanna go PURE magic right from the start but im early midgame now with my int build (3rd playthrough) and im feeling viable now.

Beat the game.

Pretty disappointed overall.

The game has some of the worst bosses in the series and the amount of fan service/returning weapons and armor versus new weapons and armor is lackluster.

It feels like 90% of all the equipment has been seen before.

Obviously the game is still great, but in terms of other Souls games, I feel like it ranks the lowest.

Really? Care to expand on this?
There are some disappointing bosses, but a vast majority of them are pretty quality, I thought.

JJD

So I heard the if you join Rosaria's Fingers covenant some quest lines will be terminated and you will be locked out of an ending. Can anyone confim this? Which quest finish abruptly if you join then?

vladdamad

I really can't wait to delve into the lore behind A
rchdragon
P
eak
. The headpiece that the boss wears has some incredibly interesting implications. The whole area has been a wonderful change of pace, although I have no idea how people found this without a guide, the way to get in is very obscure.

KAOz

Short bus special
So I heard the if you join Rosaria's Fingers covenant some quest lines will be terminated and you will be locked out of an ending. Can anyone confim this? Which quest finish abruptly if you join then?

Yes. That happens.

Sirras Questline. It stops you from joining her Covenant aswell as gettings rings.

I joined Rosarias at the endgame due to this.

Mutombo

Onislayer
is godlike

the what? the katanas?

And question: might be cheesing. But I want to try the Dancer Boss with someone who's, well, good with the dancer boss. I'm not. Level 39 now. I can come back later, of course, but I want to main those dancer weapons.

Granjinha

He's probably talking about the areas right before the Farron boss fight that included a bunch of swamp areas and poison areas while making you light up 3 fires. Just a big pile of mess that whole area is.

oh must be that then, i went straight to the
cathedral and man that area is fucking INCREDIBLE

Just got to the
Cathedral of the Deep
and its true, what a step up from the last area this is, although is kinda of a rendition of
Anor Londo
. Its weird because Souls games being a "lore" heavy game the good areas you can almost feel "Yeah, some weird/depressing things happened here" (Like the
Cathedral
i am now) but the little forest area was just "nope,
giant crabs
in an open area and
some cultists
, deal with this till you get the next good part."

Or maybe im just rambling :p
Yeah, the one you are right now is amazing. So much stuff going on.

The
giant crab
one is kinda meh, but i thought it was more of a transitory area? something like that lol

devonodev

Dang, I poked around in Undead Settlement for over an hour while kindled and nobody invaded. Kind of assumed there would be some shenanigans there since I've seen some chat about low-level PVP.

Slightly related, what levels are people going into that area? After some dorking around there, sparking a few bonfires, and cashing in some souls, I'm up to 32 I think? Kind of wondering if I'm a little overleveled from some item farming in the last area. Oh, and I only have a couple +1 weapons so far, nothing higher.
I'm up to the 2nd bonfire in the area after that
Road of Sacrifices
and I'm only level 29, I don't know what level I should be lol

Jobbs

Banned
In JP I thought abyss watchers were easy because I summoned a phantom.

I'm trying to do it without any phantoms right now.

IT'S NOT FUCKING EASY.

Quick questions before i go pass out

When I infuse stuff, do I just use titanite to upgrade it from there, or do I upgrade it and then infuse it?

Is it just me, or do backstabs and parries seem t o carry less weight than they have? It might just be post-bloodborne malaise, but the animations and force feedback seem mundane.

Where do I get the helm the firekeeper girl is wearing?

silva1991

Is there any item in the game similar to the transformed Axe from Bloodborne?

No glorious trick weapons in this game.

Quick questions before i go pass out

When I infuse stuff, do I just use titanite to upgrade it from there, or do I upgrade it and then infuse it?

Is it just me, or do backstabs and parries seem t o carry less weight than they have? It might just be post-bloodborne malaise, but the animations and force feedback seem mundane.

Where do I get the helm the firekeeper girl is wearing?

Yes titanite. and if you don't have to upgrade the weapons again after infusing(thank fuck)

yeah, bloodborne critical animation was way way more satisfying

don't think so as far as I know.

vladdamad

From what I understand, upgrading and infusing are two separate processes, like they were in Dark Souls II, that run parallel to each other. So changing the 'type' of your weapon (sharp, raw, fire, etc.) doesn't interfere with your regular titanite upgrade path, meaning that you can infuse your weapon whenever you like.

IT'S NOT FUCKING EASY.

Summoning always breaks the game. It's definitely tuned to a solo player. AI can't handle more than one person unless they have a devastating AOE attack.

No glorious trick weapons in this game.

Yes titanite. and if you don't have to upgrade the weapons again after infusing(thank fuck)

yeah, bloodborne critical animation was way way more satisficing

don't think so as far as I know.

Bummer, I loved the reach.

Also, another bummer. The visceral attack was my favorite thing in Bloodborne. Gotta say I'm not enjoying DSIII nearly as much, prefer the Blood Vial system too.

This dude P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
is ridiculous. Just keeps swinging and swinging and swinging. It's like those DS2 dragon knight dudes in boss form. Easily the longest combos I've seen in this series

IT'S NOT FUCKING EASY.
Just go defensive until the
3rd gets up and attacks the others, then get a sneaky backstab in
. As for the second part, get good at rolling.

Jobbs

Banned
Just go defensive until the
3rd gets up and attacks the others, then get a sneaky backstab in
. As for the second part, get good at rolling.

I can get to the second part without too much trouble. The problem is he's fucking evil in the second part. There are almost no openings.

co1onel

This dude P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
is ridiculous. Just keeps swinging and swinging and swinging. It's like those dragon knight dudes in boss form. Easily the longest combos I've seen in this series

Just beat this guy, and he was insane. Easily the hardest boss in the game so far. I had to use my shield a lot during the first phase, and even then I'm not entirely sure how I did it. Second phase was much easier, since they did shorter attacks with big openings.

Jobbs

Banned
I feel like if you wanted the game (in PVE, at least) to be the easiest possible you'd simply raise str high enough to equip the biggest fattest shield ever and then pump everything else into endurance and HP.

zewone

Really? Care to expand on this?
There are some disappointing bosses, but a vast majority of them are pretty quality, I thought.
Right now the best I can explain is that I find there to be the most "gimmick" bosses where they have to be hit in certain areas or that have to be completed in one particular manner.

There was very few difficult bosses or bosses I enjoyed fighting.

I can think of 3 bosses that were tough and enjoyable.

Ken

how come sometimes i get summoned but can't go through the boss fog gate even though i beat the boss already. i think it doesnt even give the critical action/battle message?

Impulsor

Try out the Butcher Knife, it's got "A" scaling right out of the gate. Don't remember when you get it, but it's somewhere near the beginning of the game. You'll also find some clubs and stuff that have decent STR scaling. And later on there's a crazy Greatsword that's got incredible strength scaling. Oh, and dont forget about Infusions! A heavy gem can make any weapon a Strength based weapon! And as you level up infused weapons, the scaling improves.
Never liked the butcher knife. Was outclassed by my deep battle axe way before, and before it ever got a chance to catch up I had already found the greataxe and the
cathedral Knight
ultra greatsword.

Which by the way, has an awesome moveset and hits like a truck. Gemmed it heavy to scale it better with STR

silva1991

This dude P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
is ridiculous. Just keeps swinging and swinging and swinging. It's like those DS2 dragon knight dudes in boss form. Easily the longest combos I've seen in this series

Well, unlike the unfair infinite stamina knights this guy is parryable.

parry him the Gwyn way. block the first attack and parry the next one.

second phase should be a cake walk.

Mutombo

Oi! i'm at the dancer, i'm going to try and beat her with a great shield. But if someone out there can drop me a better one with 100% absorption, it'd be great as fuck!

Well, unlike the unfair infinite stamina knights this guy is parryable.

parry him the Gwyn way. block the first attack and parry the next one.

Come to think of it I haven't parried anything at all in this game. Gonna give it a try. Not sure why it never occurred to me. Those battle art shields had me distracted.

Right now the best I can explain is that I find there to be the most "gimmick" bosses where they have to be hit in certain areas or that have to be completed in one particular manner.

In my memory, there are a total of four bosses in the whole game who fit the 'have to exploit weakpoints' gimmick. Those bosses are
Yhorm, Deacons of the Deep, Curse-rotted Greatwood, and High Lord Wolnir
. I don't care much for those bosses either (well, not the first two of the list, the latter two are alright), but it's not fair to say they're common.

I agree that most of the bosses weren't too difficult, but I think that's more a result of experience with playing the series than the actual design of the bosses.

The big three final bosses are the best fights in the series, I think. I'm referring to
Lorian/Lothric, Soul of Cinder, and Nameless King here.
Even though I beat these bosses in a few tries each, they're still designed to be intense fights that test your roll timing versus quick, high damaging strikes. Another late game boss,
Dragonslayer Armor
, is pretty intense as well. These types of fights have always been the high point of the series, I think.

It's probably true the bosses in the early part of the game aren't great. But the later game bosses are almost all exceptional, with the exception of
Yhorm.

Soulflarz

Banned
So

...I...want to put this like

Demon=Dark>BB>Dark 3>Dark 2?
Scholar may change my mind on 2

3...just...it's too fanservicey without standing on it's own merits

and it's pathetically easy :x

I can only think of
bosses that would qualify as gimmick battles, and those were pretty varied among themselves. The rest of the boss battles are straight up brawls.

Can't speak for your enjoyment of course, but I think they struck a good balance. Stuff like
Champion Gundyr, Nameless King and Soul of Cinder
are some of the best fights in the franchise in my eyes.

Oh and
Yhorm
is really cool if you complete the NPC questline involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom