• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hey so, some weird lady showed up at the Shrine and said she shouldn't fraternize with me. I'm guessing it's because I was equipped with a Covenant at the time. Is she gonna come back so we can fraternize?

Where are you? What you just said depends a lot on your covenant and where you are in the game.

Landford

Banned
That was the worst part in the game thus far (saved by having a bad ass boss fight at the end), it gets A LOT better after that.

Thats really nice to hear. It was a very souring experience. Felt like they didnt have any cool ideas on how to connect some areas and the result was that place.

UberLevi

What's everybody's builds looking like for Fashion Souls right now?

My character is looking like this currently:

pf49fca.png

Using
Lothric Knight Helmet and Gauntlets
Herald Armor
, and
Pontiff Knight Leggings

Vuze

Level design takes a nosedive after
Undead Settlement.
Does it get better?
I think
Cathedral of Deep
was pretty great but for the most part the second third of areas kinda sucks imo;
Especially
Catacombs of Carthus
Smouldering Lake
and
Irithyill Dunheons
. It gets better once you near the last third. I think
Undead Settlement
is still my favorite.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think he just rambles, but he means no harm.

If you examine the cage on his back, he will take you to a place where you can join a covenant. If you kill the tree boss, he will attack you from there on in.

Pretty early and my Covenant was Blue Sentinel. Now I'm maybe 4 bosses in (just beat
Crystal Witch
).
You're fine. But what you decide to do going forward will have an effect.

Alright, the back-stab mechanic feels broken as I miss them most of the time and end up just hitting an enemy. It caused my death a few times too. I never had a problem with back-stabbing in Bloodborne. I get so close behind some enemies I could smell them yet almost never land a stab....

My problem with the backstab is that I enter the backstab animation but it doesn't hit and I'm stuck for a second while the enemy does whatever. I don't remember this being a problem in any of the other titles.

Noobcraft

Anyone else feel guilty killing the host? I usually either lead them to their demise or kill the white phantoms instead. I've actually gotten 7 vertebral shackles without killing the host.

Dahbomb

What?

Not in the areas i went

Where are you right now?
He's probably talking about the areas right before the Farron boss fight that included a bunch of swamp areas and poison areas while making you light up 3 fires. Just a big pile of mess that whole area is.

So he is not vital for anything or sells you stuff? Per chance do you know hwat he is rambling about or maybe know where to find information like this?

I think he's supposed to be like the fish person at the beginning of the Hamlet, just kinda there for the general atmosphere.

Trace

Banned
He's probably talking about the areas right before the Farron boss fight that included a bunch of swamp areas and poison areas while making you light up 3 fires. Just a big pile of mess that whole area is.

That's my assumption too.
Then you have to deal with the mess that is the Catacombs.
But after that? Lawd.

Do you guys think this is the best dark souls game so far?

If you liked Dark Souls 1, yes. If you thought 2 was better, probably not.

I liked 1, so yea I'm loving it so far.

vladdamad

Level design takes a nosedive after
Undead Settlement.
Does it get better?

Yes, it absolutely gets better. The
Cathedral of the Deep
and
Boreal Valley
are easily in the top 5 of the entire series imo, you are currently at the game's low point. Can't help but feel that some of that is intentional, though: don't highlight unless you are in late game, but
trudging through the swamp and catacombs and then seeing that Gothic architecture in the snow is a moment that, in my opinion, eclipses both seeing Anor Londo and Drangleic Castle in the last two games.

My problem with the backstab is that I enter the backstab animation but it doesn't hit and I'm stuck for a second while the enemy does whatever. I don't remember this being a problem in any of the other titles.

They added a wind up to the animation to make backstabs less abusable, in pve and pvp. You have to be pretty sure youre gonna land it or the enemy will turn around and youll just whiff.

KeRaSh

I'm currently in the process of cleaning up areas I've missed in U
ndead
S
ettlement
. I'm guessing the complaints about this game being too linear are directed at later areas because this one is huge with many different routes to go. I checked a video guide of the area to see what I've missed and there are about four major things I still have to cross from the list until I'm completely finished with it. I really enjoyed the area but I hate missing out on stuff so I won't be mad if future areas are less complex.

Yeah, Farron Keep is definitely the lowest point in the game (which isn't surprising since it's this game's obligatory swamp/poison area), which is kinda jarring since it's likely to proceed Cathedral of the Deep, one of the best designed areas in any Soulsborne game, and is home to the Abyss Watchers, the best and final boss of the first act.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
About weapon upgrades...

I want to upgrade the
Dark Sword
I just found.

Do the upgrades via titanite shards and the infusions add up?

Can I still upgrade it after I infused it with heavy?

I really don't want to waste neither the weapon nor the materials.

Trace

Banned
About weapon upgrades...

I want to upgrade the
Dark Sword
I just found.

Do the upgrades via titanite shards and the infusions add up?

Can I still upgrade it after I infused it with heavy?

I really don't want to waste neither the weapon nor the materials.

Yes, if you were to upgrade a weapon to +7 and then infuse it, it would then be an infused +7.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

Well then, there you go. You've made up your mind. Just keep in mind my character has a 33 Vitality, and I'm using a magic item that reduces encumbrance, and I still can't wear heavy armor and wield a Greatsword. My armor is made is up of mostly medium armor with a few heavy pieces. I also have a one handed weapon and a shield that I use when enemies are just too numerous or dangerous to use a twohanded weapon alone. I also regularly change armor depending on what I'm wielding. So I'm not afraid to downgrade my armor to carry a shield if nessecary, for instance.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Do you guys think this is the best dark souls game so far?

No. I fully admit that my nostalgia is a major factor in that assessment. Despite how good this game is, it doesn't hold a candle to how I feel about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Note that I'm saying "how I feel"

From a completely mechanical level? Absolutely. They made some very smart changes. I don't give a flying fuck about the fact that you can't upgrade armor in this game. It was a useless pit that they drew you down to spend your hard earned souls and shards/large shards/chunks

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You know, with the running animation of this game, it kind of hit me - Dark Souls shares a lot with the 2004 Ninja Gaiden released on Xbox. Both games focus on skill based combat while building around a massive, interconnected world. Obviously DS has more RPG elements going on while NG has basically none, but the core experience really reminds me of that game.

It's like King's Field meets Ninja Gaiden 04 in a way.

Landford

Banned
What?

Not in the areas i went

Where are you right now?

Just got to the
Cathedral of the Deep
and its true, what a step up from the last area this is, although is kinda of a rendition of
Anor Londo
. Its weird because Souls games being a "lore" heavy game the good areas you can almost feel "Yeah, some weird/depressing things happened here" (Like the
Cathedral
i am now) but the little forest area was just "nope,
giant crabs
in an open area and
some cultists
, deal with this till you get the next good part."

Or maybe im just rambling :p

Jobbs

Banned
to anyone wondering where to get a steady supply of titanite shards...

the ash you need is in farron keep. run through the swamp (HOT TIP!!!!!!! equip a dagger and just spam the art to dash across the deep water, god this made life so much easier) and find the big ladder near the middle bonfire and the door.

this goes into the tower where the dead wolf is. go outside the tower up the steps and look for an illusionary wall. bam, ashes. give to the lady in firelink. she'll shit talk the ashes but it seems to result in her now stocking shards.

Veelk

Banned
Well then, there you go. You've made up your mind. Just keep in mind my character has a 33 Vitality, and I'm using a magic item that reduces encumbrance, and I still can't wear heavy armor and wield a Greatsword. My armor is made is up of mostly medium armor with a few heavy pieces. I also have a one handed weapon and a shield that I use when enemies are just too numerous or dangerous to use a twohanded weapon alone. I also regularly change armor depending on what I'm wielding. So I'm not afraid to downgrade my armor to carry a shield if nessecary, for instance.

I'll be going for light armor, don't worry. From my calculations, I should JUST make it so that I can fast roll, wear armor, and use my greatsword.

It's just that that's in the future where everything is wonderful. Right now, I'm just dealing with this BS.

That said, between this post and the last, I started it up again,
killed the 3 knights in the swamp, killed an invader, and now all I need to do is the boss and the crystal lizard in that place. The boss won't be too hard, but I have no idea how to even get in the crystal lizard's cell.

Lulubop

Cleared
cathedral of the deep
and I've gotten seemingly all the items in
Farron's keep
. No sure where to go now.

zewone

Beat the game.

Pretty disappointed overall.

The game has some of the worst bosses in the series and the amount of fan service/returning weapons and armor versus new weapons and armor is lackluster.

It feels like 90% of all the equipment has been seen before.

Obviously the game is still great, but in terms of other Souls games, I feel like it ranks the lowest.

Menthuss

"Monster ahead" note in the Cathedral. What, I don't see any mons- *boom* OH MY GOD NO

Are you talking about
that wolf-like breast that falls from the ceiling
?
Because I legit yelled in surprise when that happened to me. Fucking thing nearly gave me a heart attack :p

Soulflarz

Banned
Beat the game.

Pretty disappointed overall.

The game has some of the worst bosses in the series and the amount of fan service/returning weapons and armor versus new weapons and armor is lackluster.

It feels like 90% of all the equipment has been seen before.

Obviously the game is still great, but in terms of other Souls games, I feel like it ranks the lowest.

Somewhat close to my views sadly.

WOOOOOO

ooh man! That feeling you get when you beat a boss!

Played all the Souls games (I don't have a PS4 for BB), and I love them so much, but I'm still so terrible at them all haha

I really like the new "Stage 2" bosses have, when
Vordt went aggro, I freaked out and said "oh shit", but just kept rolling at him instead of away.

Freeman76

With demons souls previously being my favourite, this one is fast becoming #1. It takes everything that makes souls games what they are, and refines it to the pinnacle of awesomeness. I love how items/zones and enemies return from previous games, it gives it a real familiar edge while being new at the same time.

I can understand how people looking for something different will be dissapointed, but i think fans of the first 2 games can feel safe knowing this just builds and improves.

Yeah, fuck the swamp, but its no worse than izalith from DS1, or even 5-1 in DeS.

jg4xchamp

Enjoying the game, been working on a strength build (not really focusing on leveling up dex, int, or faith), does anyone have a general idea of what would be the best weapons for this type of build?

Currently I'm just guessing stick with the Mace I got, and wait for a large club ala Dark Souls 2, but figured you know there might be other options later.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Enjoying the game, been working on a strength build (not really focusing on leveling up dex, int, or faith), does anyone have a general idea of what would be the best weapons for this type of build?

Currently I'm just guessing stick with the Mace I got, and wait for a large club ala Dark Souls 2, but figured you know there might be other options later.
Try out the Butcher Knife, it's got "A" scaling right out of the gate. Don't remember when you get it, but it's somewhere near the beginning of the game. You'll also find some clubs and stuff that have decent STR scaling. And later on there's a crazy Greatsword that's got incredible strength scaling. Oh, and dont forget about Infusions! A heavy gem can make any weapon a Strength based weapon! And as you level up infused weapons, the scaling improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom