• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys with good memory, remember in
smouldering lake
, when you go all the way down pass the
rats and frogs
, basically on your way to
turn off the spear machine
. there was a little path on the left leading down that has a
npc with a gigantic sword and shield
. That guy... REKS MY SHIT. is there anything down there that I need to worry about?

Also, is that
giant worm
even killable? I mean im sure it is but how?

Man FUCK this zone

smouldering lake
rats and frogs
. That guy... REKS MY SHIT. is there anything down there that I need to worry about?

Also, is that
giant worm

Man FUCK this zone

1: The NPC itself drops his sword (and shield), which ends up being one of the best Ultra Greatswords in the game. (used to be even stronger, but it got nerfed down to "just great" levels)

2: It is, wait until it stops coiling around to beam and smack it a few times.

Soulflarz

Banned
smouldering lake
rats and frogs

Also, is that
giant worm

Man FUCK this zone

Dunno about the first part since that is the one thing I never could find how to turn off

the one thing I finished the game going "How" to

BUT
I killed the worm

The spears hurt it, just iframe it to death
and you can hurt it badly too

Burt

smouldering lake
rats and frogs

Also, is that
giant worm

Man FUCK this zone
I loved it. So much better than Izalith

The guy drops his sword and something else, maybe it was his shield, which you may or may not recognize from another game

Funny story, I got the Black Knight above him to fall into the lava, the guy aggroed and burnt himself to death, but managed to get back right next to the safe ground before he did. Strolled by, picked everything up, /toast

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Where am I supposed to go after fighting
the cursed tree?

I've been wandering and backtracking but quite unsure where to progress.

takriel

I wonder, how's the lore in this one? As much and as good as in Dark 1, or as mediocre as in Dark 2? ENB's second video of his playthrough has me a little worried on that front.

Veelk

Banned
I just got to the
Cathedral of the Deep
. I had thought it'd be after the
Farron Woods
thing, but apparently I'm there already. So I'm walking through the
zombie graveyard
, and for some reason, I just keep bleeding. No idea why, maybe it's the area. Annoying, but oh well. I finally get to the top, where the
actual castle
starts, and some guy with double blades shows up. Whoa, oh. Better lock onto him before he gets close so I'm read-WHAT?! NO, DON'T LOCK ON TO THE ENEMY THAT'S DAYDREAMING AND LOOKING ENTIRELY IN THE OTHER DIRECTION WHY WOULD YOU EVEN DO THA- and I'm a couple hits and I'm dead.

:|

Soulflarz

Banned
I wonder, how's the lore in this one? As much and as good as in Dark 1, or as mediocre as in Dark 2? ENB's second video of his playthrough has me a little worried on that front.

Closer to 2. Theres...less to discuss. It's a sequel, when person X whos...
uh, to use a nonexistent example, instead of one farther in than you might be.

"Son of the great dragonslayer" as a boss using ornsteins spear and when you kill him it's called "Fathers spear"

I wonder who he is?

It's kind of an issue like that--we know so much that there's not much they can say without us piecing it together in two minutes flat, with this one being so much closer to the realm of DS1 than DS2 was.

MUnited83

For you.
I just got to the
Cathedral of the Deep
Farron Woods
zombie graveyard
, and for some reason, I just keep bleeding. No idea why, maybe it's the area. Annoying, but oh well. I finally get to the top, where the
actual castle
starts, and some guy with double blades shows up. Whoa, oh. Better lock onto him before he gets close so I'm read-WHAT?! NO, DON'T LOCK ON TO THE ENEMY THAT'S DAYDREAMING AND LOOKING ENTIRELY IN THE OTHER DIRECTION WHY WOULD YOU EVEN DO THA- and I'm a couple hits and I'm dead.

I think basically every enemy in that area gives you bleed buildup if they hit you. some of them almost make you fill a whole bar with one attack

It picks up a lot later on, lore-wise. So far, I've been trying to figure things out about the world the game takes place in itself.

Certainly better than 2's lore, as it is pretty connected to DkS1. It treats DkS2 like 2 treated 1, lol.

Soulflarz

Banned
It picks up a lot later on, lore-wise. So far, I've been trying to figure things out about the world the game takes place in itself.

Certainly better than 2's lore, as it is pretty connected to DkS1. It treats DkS2 like 2 treated 1, lol.

I'll admit, I'm surprised by...er

The way they laid it out, 2 is basically the fanfic spinoff, and 3 is the sequel :p

Whats the length of the invasion timer? I invaded a guy and I've been waiting around to put my summon sign down to help on a boss, but its been a while and I still can't.

Robiin

I want to stay as unspoilered as I can, because I've never played a Souls game actually blind. It's an amazing experience so far, however I had to ask a question yesterday about the whereabouts of a certain NPC and got good answers from GAF! So I ask something again: Will I, like in Demon's and Dark Souls 1, meet anyone that goes around killing other NPCs? Cause I am not about that life. If there is someone like that here, and if so, when/where do I meet him/her?

Burt

Spoiler for the cathedral in Iceland that shall not be named

HOW THE SHIT YOU GONNA DO THAT TO THE GIANT BLACKSMITH YOU SONS OF BITCHES

addressed both to the hollow priests that made a mess of the place, and to From.

Also, the Smoughstein room still having pillars standing is the biggest retcon in gaming. You know there's never been a pillar left after Smoughstein.

Guys my steam controller doesn't work in this game. I start it from big picture mode and the right touchpad works but none of the buttons work like they should, neither is the analog stick working. Anyone had this issue and fixed it?

ISee

I want to stay as unspoilered as I can, because I've never played a Souls game actually blind. It's an amazing experience so far, however I had to ask a question yesterday about the whereabouts of a certain NPC and got good answers from GAF! So I ask something again: Will I, like in Demon's and Dark Souls 1, meet anyone that goes around killing other NPCs? Cause I am not about that life. If there is someone like that here, and if so, when/where do I meet him/her?

Not sure. But
there will definitely be someone who will ask you to kill certain NPCs.

Great to know that the
curse (la la la la la)
Status effect will kill you instantly. Thanks From for changing all your mechanics wih each successor in the series.

Auctopus

Do you actually want an answer? I felt ENB's reaction was a little immediate after only playing about an hour of the game.

Jellie

I just got to the
Cathedral of the Deep
Farron Woods
zombie graveyard
actual castle

You might be getting the bleed effect if you're hit by the leechy/wormy thing in that area.
If it is that get your torch out to stop it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Welcome! If you think that any of us one shot bosses as we strut around, then stop thinking that way. Hell, some of the regular enemies they've placed in this game are harder (to me) than some bosses.

Hey, plenty of us do! I one shotted like 3 in a row :3
*I know it's literally like a vocal 10 of us*
edit: yes. I love how the Katana guy at the start is harder than the boss before him.
Spoiler for the cathedral in Iceland that shall not be named

Also, the Smoughstein room still having pillars standing is the biggest retcon in gaming. You know there's never been a pillar left after Smoughstein.
You may have a point :p

Potentially, it has such a specific trigger and it's so inconsequential that no, for all intents and purposes don't worry.

MrS

Banned
Only 4 bosses in but the game is really great. I'm enjoying it even more than Bloodborne. God bless From Software.

-Ryn

Banned
Holy shit. I was just battling a
Black Knight
and as I was wondering what it was doing there I look to my right only to notice a familiar scenery in the distance...

This game... my gawd.

On another note, FUCK LAGGY INVADERS.

Yeah no problem! Just experiment with different button inputs. It uses a bit of FP, but I just discovered L2>R2 is like an extended spin. It's cool.
Yeah finding out about that was rad.

This game I'd fucking amazing!!

Robiin

Not sure. But
there will definitely be someone who will ask you to kill certain NPCs.
Potentially, it has such a specific trigger and it's so inconsequential that no, for all intents and purposes don't worry.

Thanks! It's just that I'm worried because I have bad memories of not being able to use the Firelink bonfire in DkS1. That's when I started playing with a guide!

Ferr986

I'll admit, I'm surprised by...er

The way they laid it out, 2 is basically the fanfic spinoff, and 3 is the sequel :p

tbh right now Dark 3 feels like the fanfic, in a sense that there's fanservice everywhere it seems like a DS1 fan did it.

But I'm still really early so....

Styles

As an UGS user the A
ldrich
boss fight really tests your stamina management. I am getting absolutely wrecked in the second phase.

[edit] LOL. So of course, right after I made this post I beat it on my next attempt.

Impulsor

Yesterday playing with a friend in co-op, we had a bug where I could not see his animations, I just saw his character model sliding around standing still, and when enemies aggroed him I would see the enemies standign still too.

He was able to kill enemies withut suffering damage whil the enemies where aggroing me and viceversa.

This includes bosses.

Wtf is this bug? Happened twice to us already.

tbf thats a good progression meter, if you still think its fanfic, your less than 50%< through the game

I'm maybe 20-30% through the game..not sure. I'm sucking it up big time and while it's a sequel it still feels very different to the other games. Maybe it's because people are looking for different things in Souls games, I don't know.

I'm getting that awesome feeling of traversing a world that has once been a grand kingdom but it's now in ruins. The theme of decay puts it above DS2 easily. DS3 (so far) feels much more focused and self aware. Sooooo good!

Alright, I used up all my embers fighting the Abyss boss. Why couldn't I call more than one? THe previous bosses I could call two players. Once there was always a friendly NPC too, but not at this fuckers lair...
So what do I do now about embers? I can't buy any because I'm always broke in these games and I certainly can't win against this nightmare. I NEED two helpers. Any idea how to get more ember? And why in the world would they make help depletable?! It should have been an accessory not a consumable. If I can't solve this, I'll be stuck right where I am for good. No question about it.

Back stabs are easier in this but the enemy can't be moving around or in the process of an attack. Once they are in their recovery state of an attack then you can backstab and it's very generous in terms of positioning. Usually when you miss a backstab it's because they were doing something else and weren't in that backstab state yet.

I'm talking about sneaking up on enemies while they are standing perfectly still and the back-stab STILL fails to initiate. The couple of times that I could get it done I bumped into the enemy's back and as soon as they tried to turn around I did it. This is not good.

Randam

Alright, I used up all my embers fighting the Abyss boss. Why couldn't I call more than one? THe previous bosses I could call two players. Once there was always a friendly NPC too, but not at this fuckers lair...
So what do I do now about embers? I can't buy any because I'm always broke in these games and I certainly can't win against this nightmare. I NEED two helpers. Any idea how to get more ember? And why in the world would they make help depletable?! It should have been an accessory not a consumable. If I can't solve this, I'll be stuck right where I am for good. No question about it.

Time to git gud.

;)
Helping others with bosses should give you embers.

Derpot

What is the level recommended to fight
Nameless King
and
the 2 princes at Lothric Castle
?
I'm lvl 80 and they kick my ass :(

Mendrox

smouldering lake
rats and frogs

Also, is that
giant worm

Man FUCK this zone

And you were telling me that you should use boss souls even though you haven't done everything. ;-)

That NPC has the nerfed sword
Ultra Fume Greatsword
which is the reason he fucks you up. Blocking won't do shit, because he will deplet your stamina with 1-2 hits and then will just viscal attack you from the front. You could lure him into the fire though which I did every time - sometimes he stays in it and will die. Still a horrible NPC, but with one of the greatest weapons in the whole game.

And yes the worm is easily killable from the bonfire with a bow. He drops something very important
Ashes

Because someone aids you in the
Abyss Watchers
fight. Any boss fight which has NPCs in them without summon will restrict your summon. You could use dry fingers to summon two people in this case or summon three people at others bosses.

Jiraiza

Three tries to take down the tree that likes to spread its legs. Parrying sure is fun though, especially with the Uchigatana. Too bad my success rate is like 1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom