• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have a quick question :
How to open the second shortcut (the door on the left) at Cleansing Chapel in Cathedral of the Deep?

That one took me a while. There's a way down there from the main building. Poke around a lot and you'll find it. The area ends up leading to a covenant.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
About the Anri questline:
do you need Yuria for this? Yoel died before I could take my 5 levels, so now she probably won't appear in this run.
Can I complete the quest without this, or am I fucked?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
About the Anri questline:
do you need Yuria for this? Yoel died before I could take my 5 levels, so now she probably won't appear in this run.
Can I complete the quest without this, or am I fucked?

I don't think you can without her.

lord quas

So... this is my first Dark Souls game (played a bit of Demons Souls back in the day, which I liked). I spent probably way too much time on High Wall of Lothric but I'm finally in the Undead Settlement. I'm now level 22 and I'm not sure whether that's OK? I have to say, I don't really understand this game:

- I still have the beginning armor (Knight) and I mostly find weapons and no armor, am I missing something? (or is it too early to be finding armor?)
- Should I regularly visit Firelink Shrine to spend souls or just wait until I'm finished with the last boss?
- ... Does the game get any easier? And I don't mean that in the sense of 'I had to replay this section so many times I know every enemy's move', but is there actually a chance of just being able to finish levels in one go?

I like the game, but I feel it's hard work. My strategy is to stop playing when I reach a bonfire, then cry in my bed for a while before returning the next day.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
having a real hard time noticing the "tell" on the
Dancer grab
, its always waving around its hard to tell, at least for me

edit: LOL fuck off with the
second sword and the wild spinning
>_<

So I finally found and fought A
ldrich and was surprised to win first time considering the trouble I'd read of him causing. As soon as I realized that running worked on the arrows and balls of death by chip damage it became easy as hell. He seems to go into stun really fast too and is possibly the slowest boss I've seen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I finally found and fought A
ldrich and was surprised to win first time considering the trouble I'd read of him causing. As soon as I realized that running worked on the arrows and balls of death by chip damage it became easy as hell. He seems to go into stun really fast too and is possibly the slowest boss I've seen.

I also had zero problems with him. Pure melee build.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't think you can without her.

Lawd, ok, this will be for yet another run then.

Dancer grab

>_<

Once he(she?)
charges up for the second phase, wail on him for some decent damage. But then immediately move as far away as you can, because he'll do an insane combo that takes forever. After this, I've found the second phase is easier because the grab is gone from his moveset!

jonjonaug

So... this is my first Dark Souls game (played a bit of Demons Souls back in the day, which I liked). I spent probably way too much time on High Wall of Lothric but I'm finally in the Undead Settlement. I'm now level 22 and I'm not sure whether that's OK? I have to say, I don't really understand this game:

- I still have the beginning armor (Knight) and I mostly find weapons and no armor, am I missing something? (or is it too early to be finding armor?)
- Should I regularly visit Firelink Shrine to spend souls or just wait until I'm finished with the last boss?
- ... Does the game get any easier? And I don't mean that in the sense of 'I had to replay this section so many times I know every enemy's move', but is there actually a chance of just being able to finish levels in one go?

I like the game, but I feel it's hard work. My strategy is to stop playing when I reach a bonfire, then cry in my bed for a while before returning the next day.
It's usually a good idea to return to Firelink and spend souls whenever you have enough to advance a level. Levels are typically spread out with a direct path to a boss from a bonfire that either exists from the getgo or that you can unlock. As for if it gets easier...not really? The difficulty in this one is fairly consistent compared to other games in the series barring a couple of monsterously hard late game bosses.

Dimmle

It gets easier with mechanic familiarity. You probably won't one-shot many areas, though. This is my fifth Souls game and I still rely on the rinse-and-repeat method. Crying in bed is par for the course.

jonjonaug

Lawd, ok, this will be for yet another run then.
You can complete the "good" path of Anri's questline by
killing the assassin disguised as a statue when you meet her in the church
, but you can't
get the hidden ending that involves letting her get killed there

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Abyss Watchers
are giving me all sorts of trouble. Been stuck on these fuckers for 2 hours. Any tips?!

Hang back and take your time. One of them is sort of on your side and will give you much needed breathing room.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You can complete the "good" path of Anri's questline by
killing the assassin disguised as a statue when you meet her in the church
, but you can't
get the hidden ending that involves letting her get killed there

Yeah but what was kind of what I wanted. But maybe I'll do all steps anyway, so I can remember what to do for future runs.

ScribbleD

Abyss Watchers
are giving me all sorts of trouble. Been stuck on these fuckers for 2 hours. Any tips?!

They're an early game roadblock. Just gotta keep at it. If you're getting tagged in phase 1, play a little more passively until one of NPCs spawn that will get their attention. From there you can take some shots at the main boss and get his attention for a while while the 2 adds fight each other.

The second phase is pretty straight forward. Just gotta get your roll timing down and figure out his patterns.

Difficulty is dependant on your build. You can easily do some areas in one go once your build starts to take shape but that's going to become tougher to do in the later areas. Personally for the later parts I fight what I can and then run from the dangerous stuff until I find the bonfires, you can always go back for the rest. You're still likely to die at bosses from time to time though.

If I could give you a single bit of advice it would be raise your damage output as best you can. You can prevent hundreds of deaths by being able to slim numbers fast and whittle down strong enemies quickly.

Trakan

ugh you guys werent kidding. the transition from the
giant lord
and the
dancer
is awful. well, how it just drops you there with no warning, no rest, and then it puts you back on the previous bonfire, not even a close one lol

You got there after the Giant? I got warped there after a different boss. It must be after a number of bosses defeated.

You also don't have to place the item right away, you can just walk out of the Dancer's room and wouldn't have to fight the boss.

Someone wanna co-op Cathedral of the Deep with me? In having trouble.
PSN: Pilgrim-Ren
I've got that dinky ps4 monophone if you want voice chat too.
Edit: I put my character name instead of PSN. Fixed now whoops.

jonjonaug

You got there after the Giant? I got warped there after a different boss. It must be after a number of bosses defeated.

You also don't have to place the item right away, you can just walk out of the Dancer's room and wouldn't have to fight the boss.
The start of the Dancer fight is really slow too, so you could just honeward bone out

Dancer grab

>_<

First theres an audio queue, then she dips head and body forward, then brings head and body up like a wave, then pulls back right arm @ right angle and swipes for the grab.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

item? what item, it just triggered the boss I didnt do anything.

anyway wanted to kill it to call it a night but its not happening, will try again tomorow. By far the hardest boss so far in my opinion, which is probably not a popular opinion since I never see it mentioned in the hardest fights but what can you do? Like I thought
crystal sage
and
abyss watchers
were super easy so /shrug

twisteh

They're an early game roadblock. Just gotta keep at it. If you're getting tagged in phase 1, play a little more passively until one of NPCs spawn that will get their attention. From there you can take some shots at the main boss and get his attention for a while while the 2 adds fight each other.

The second phase is pretty straight forward. Just gotta get your roll timing down and figure out his patterns.

I can do the first phase fine, I just keep getting rekt in the 2nd phase. He's so aggressive and cant seem to get any attacks in. :/

rdytoroll

Just defended an area with another
Aldrich Faithful
against 3 guys. Then an invader came in and it was pure chaos. So good

Edit: I could do this all day. Fuck yeah

Rhaknar

it's not letting me into the tree boss with queen

someone help >_>

huh

it has one boss and a joke boss
and people love the real one

is that where the famous
nameless king
is?

Ricker

I am a Knight but I attuned a small heal spell(its says miracle in the description,8 faith needed or something,I have 9) and I placed it in the upper slot but its greyed out...how do you use whats equipped in the up slot...?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I am a Knight but I attuned a small heal spell(its says miracle in the description,8 faith needed or something,I have 9) and I placed it in the upper slot but its greyed out...how do you use whats equipped in the up slot...?
You need to also equip a chime or a talisman. Think of it as a wand for miracles.

Brakke

Banned
Just got to the Boreal place this morning. Pretty jack-of-all-trades build right now; 18 each in STR, DEX, FTH. I got DEX high enough to use Pharis's bow but I think that's going to be the stopping point for that. I need at least 20 FTH so I can hurl lightning bolts, and then I'll probably main STR going forward.

Except for challenging the tree too early and getting stomped, I haven't really struggled with any bosses so far. Game hits that good balance of being high-stakes but fair. Keep an eye on your Stamina, don't get greedy, watch for telegraphs, you'll be fine. I've done a lot of Jolly Cooperating so far but have no idea where to turn in the Medals.

Really liking the setting tho. "Londor" as some half-remembered rendition of "Anor Londo" is a cool touch. So many things in this game like that where I can't tell if I recognize it or if they've confused it or what.

That boss in the Catacombs was cooooooool as heck. What a baller reveal. Fairly straight-forward fight but damn it looked awesome.

Trakan

item? what item, it just triggered the boss I didnt do anything.

anyway wanted to kill it to call it a night but its not happening, will try again tomorow. By far the hardest boss so far in my opinion, which is probably not a popular opinion since I never see it mentioned in the hardest fights but what can you do? Like I thought
crystal sage
and
abyss watchers
were super easy so /shrug

Hmm, I thought you had to place the item to fight the
dancer
. I guess not. I do know that I just walked out of that room after I got warped though. I didn't know the boss was even there at first.

Kaz42

Welp just had a super tense moment in the
forest
area. I beat the 4th boss and went to go look around some and was immediately invaded by 2 people. One was an invader and the other was an npc.
Watchdog
something was his name. I ran out of estus in the middle of the fight so I tried my best to kill the invader, which I did and was able to gain 2 estus back. Used them both fighting the next guy and was starting to lose the fight but then someone rated my note as positive and I was able to gain full health. I finished off the guy and am elated. I never win at pvp so this was great. It also helped that the 2 people were fighting each other some.

I managed to save the video too.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game like a fat kid love cake but I feel like I'm really limited when it comes to weapons. I just don't see myself replacing my default Battle Axe which is now +6, 2 handers are insanely slow and a lot of the cooler weapons are Dex based. The only weapon I really like is the Butchers Blade but without hybrid scaling my Battle Axe seems to be better. Am I missing something or is this just the way it is?

Fhtagn

Now I know why
Archdragon Peak is a hidden, optional
zone.

Awful bosses. Awful.

uh... no? one fun gimmick boss, one hard as nails awesome final challenge boss. I left the latter after a few tries to complete later as I want something to savor... but I got to the second phase it's great!

Just got to the Boreal place this morning. Pretty jack-of-all-trades build right now; 18 each in STR, DEX, FTH. I got DEX high enough to use Pharis's bow but I think that's going to be the stopping point for that. I need at least 20 FTH so I can hurl lightning bolts, and then I'll probably main STR going forward.

Except for challenging the tree too early and getting stomped, I haven't really struggled with any bosses so far. Game hits that good balance of being high-stakes but fair. Keep an eye on your Stamina, don't get greedy, watch for telegraphs, you'll be fine. I've done a lot of Jolly Cooperating so far but have no idea where to turn in the Medals.

Really liking the setting tho. "Londor" as some half-remembered rendition of "Anor Londo" is a cool touch. So many things in this game like that where I can't tell if I recognize it or if they've confused it or what.

That boss in the Catacombs was cooooooool as heck. What a baller reveal. Fairly straight-forward fight but damn it looked awesome.

I can't wait to read your follow up posts after a couple more hours. You are in for some fun shit.

BriGuy

It's open season on bosses right now over Steam. If you get summoned, the bosses just slide around and don't attack at all.

Mandelbo

Hmm, I thought you had to place the item to fight the
dancer
. I guess not. I do know that I just walked out of that room after I got warped though. I didn't know the boss was even there at first.

Same, I was a total dumbass with the basin.
I read the description and it said "place at the statue of a beheading knight", at which point I left the chapel and went wandering around looking for the statue. I didn't realise it was literally two steps away from where I got the basin :p

Anyone know where to get the butcher's knife. I keep hearing good things about it and considering I'm a hybrid build now, it seems like it would work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom