• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale_C

Hm, beat the final boss quite comfortably on my first attempt. Bit disappointing actually, was hoping for an Orphan of Kos-style controller-smashing affair but it was pretty straightforward. On the whole, pretty disappointed by the game. It brought remarkably little new to the table, and in only a couple of areas did I feel From were being brave with the design (though I'm yet to do a couple of optional areas, so take that with a grain of salt).. So many places felt like retreads or remixes of other Souls/BB locations,
not to mention the literal retreads
. Saying that, it was all solid Souls, and I had a good time. And I totally understand why for some my complaints will be meaningless- it's more Dark Souls after all, which is never a bad thing. I guess I just wanted more surprises.

Now to go mop up those optional areas...

MortosDer

Neo Member
Welp... I gotta say I liked
Farron's Keep
... if only because
of the optional boss.
As you arrive
to said fight you get one of the best views of the game so far. And when you head back down to the swamps you can have a really good look at where are the fires you need to extinguish
... Gotta say I liked it better than
Cathedral of the Deep (Fuck those little assholes that try to ambush at the worst time possible)
I'm rocking that +2 "Heavy" Greataxe... gotta love that 390 damage rofl. Same weapon I'm using on DS1...
The bosses seem easier from what I've seen, but regular enemies are way harder in DSIII
Gotta say I didn't really like all the segment from
Road of Sacrifices + Cathedral...
It really worn me out... really glad I left that place behind for now...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn A
byess
W
atchers
are wrecking my shit.

Not surprising as it's just the type of enemy/boss that troubled me in Bloodborne. I'm terrible at the player like foes.

This is a very common opinion, and definitely one I can get behind for the first few areas of the games. The bosses do step it up later on, though.

So far the early bosses feel balanced around how limited healing is taken into account, and it seems like some character builds will have a harder time than others.

Ugh, this is annoying. I just got some new gear, mid-late game
Dancers armor and Dancers swords. The gear looks amazing and I want to do a NG+ run with all of it equipped, but the blades themselves scale like crap. Even fully upgraded they're ranked D scaling across the board.

TheFlow

Banned
I am debating about trying the Butcher Knife but I honestly don't know if I want to. This sword is freaking awesome and I only have it at +4. What upgrade route did you go?
Heavy. I am running a strength build.

Heavy+3. If you are in the spoiler for a boss area
csthedrap deep and farron keep you can find some wicked weapons

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If I use an ember when not at full health will it give me full health?

They do heal. They behave pretty much exactly the same as humanity from the first game. But apparently you can't use them while invading like you could with humanity.

Actually the whole mechanic is more like the Stone of Emphemeral Eyes from Demon's Souls tbh.

MortosDer

Neo Member
This is a very common opinion, and definitely one I can get behind for the first few areas of the games. The bosses do step it up later on, though.

Yeah...
The Abyss Watchers
were kind tricky... took me a few tries since I was relying too much on blocking stuff... that fight really made me use my roll more and with a few lucky blocks here and there I was able to get some really good openings.
Also, I find it strange that people are saying shields are op in this game... I own only one shield with 100% physical absorption which took me a while to find, where as in DS1 I had good shields almost right from the get go. Plus, stamina is being more of an issue here than in DS1.
It's funny... I'm kinda playing both games at once
(Just started collecting the souls for the Lordvessel on DS1)
and the change of pace between them is something that's making me enjoy both games even more. Can I say I LOVED
BLIGHTTOWN?

Heavy. I am running a strength build.

Heavy+3. If you are in the spoiler for a boss area
csthedrap deep and farron keep you can find some wicked weapons

Yeah just beat the
Abyss Waters and bought The Greatsword of the Wolf
. I like it but doesn't beat the broadsword yet...

DSmalls84

Really liking the Battle Axe so far. It seems like a good balance between damage and speed, and the refined gem bumped it up to C/C scaling at +2!

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah just beat the
Abyss Waters and bought The Greatsword of the Wolf
. I like it but doesn't beat the broadsword yet...
I am on them right now

Someone in this thread has said it will take a while for the advantages of greatswords to pay off due to scaling or w.e

Finally got to where you can respec. The plan was to switch from my dex build to a strength build, so that I can use the great axe for the rest of the game. But I thought I would have gotten the claws by now, but it seems like it's a pretty late-game weapon. Thinking I might respec to strength right now and then respec back to dex once I get the claws.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
loving my reshade preset :D

25830656493_533b3bcfea_o.png

heres second screenshot with it off

Ogawa-san

It's extremely easy to miss how to get there. From the Anor Londo bonfire, go back on the elevator and make it go down, you can see the fire from there. There's an invisible path you can walk across to get there.
Now I don't even feel bad for missing it. Even
the girl there asked me if I could fly.

What the hell.

Timeaisis

Boss spoiler:
Abyss Watchers
were hype as hell. What an interesting spin on a fight. It got really frustrating though, it felt like phase 1 was sometimes a luck-of-the-draw type thing sometimes. But really cool fight overall. How far am I in the game? I feel like I've played a shitton but I explore the crap out of everywhere and backtrack like nobody's business, so it might feel like I've played more of the game than I actually have.

Also, what's best route next:
Cathedral of the Deep
or
Catacombs
? I know I need to do both eventually.

Nose Master

Spoilers, but what happened to Farron in firelink? He disappeared after
he gave me his ring. Is his corpse laying around somewhere? Salty dude.

Boss spoiler:
Abyss Watchers
were hype as hell. What an interesting spin on a fight. It got really frustrating though, it felt like phase 1 was sometimes a luck-of-the-draw type thing sometimes. But really cool fight overall. How far am I in the game? I feel like I've played a shitton but I explore the crap out of everywhere and backtrack like nobody's business, so it might feel like I've played more of the game than I actually have.

Cathedral of the Deep
or
Catacombs

Well you killed the first lord of cinder, there are four more so plenty left as yet.

i can tell I'm hungry when i start dying to dumb shit and yelling about it.

Me on a full stomach: "this roll has like a million iframes"

Me on an empty stomach: "balajslkhsdafkbdsfbj i hit the fucking roll ;sd;fas;lfd"

Boss spoiler:
Abyss Watchers

Cathedral of the Deep
or
Catacombs

Do the latter last

devonodev

Twice in a row being summoned to other worlds to help with the
Crystal Sage
boss, I had annoying glitches happen.
First time, I couldn't get through the fog gate, all I could do was try distract the boss by attacking through the fog. I could feel the host's disappointment in me haha.
The very next time I get summoned, we get the boss down to 1/4 health, and after a bit, I realised there's nothing in the room except one of the fake ones which shoot blue magic. We spent the next 5 minutes attacking it, nothing else was appearing, this one wasn't dying, we were just stuck.

Also, I find it strange that people are saying shields are op in this game... I own only one shield with 100% physical absorption which took me a while to find, where as in DS1 I had good shields almost right from the get go. Plus, stamina is being more of an issue here than in DS1.

if you are a knight, you start with a shield that is 100% physical absorption right off the bat

i switched to something else now but it lasts a good chunk of the game

Boss question
crystal sage

...that was it?

when did the second phase activate and did you have to deal with bullet hell

I got shit on in that fight about 10 times in a row, then instead of going for RT attacks, I did RB attacks. For some reason, after switching to RB, the second phase didn't trigger until the thing was about dead. I just ran in and killed it quickly. weird fight.

So there must be a better way to grind Proof of Concord Kept. Can you get it by helping players via white soapstone and defeating bosses? Is it literally only waiting for invasions and/or killing the
Silver Knights
over and over? There must be a mechanical difference between
Blue Sentinels
and
Blades of the Darkmoon
, right?

Edit: Is it possible for me to find a password partner and have them invade over and over and let me kill them? Does that work?

Just started. Question, anyone know if theres any important stuff to make sure you do/don't do in terms of "Don't send this guy back to the shrine, he'll kill everyone" or stuff like that?

sobaka770

Banned
Goddamn A
byess
W
atchers
are wrecking my shit.

Not surprising as it's just the type of enemy/boss that troubled me in Bloodborne. I'm terrible at the player like foes.

I just beat that guy.

Damn it Bloodborne, you spoiled me!! Died at least 10 times on that boss.

The key to the fight is once again patience. First phase is cool with one extra mob helping the boss and the other going completely feral on everyone.

The flaming sword phase was a tough one. I was just getting so impatient and the combos HURT. Solved it by getting my trusty estoc (seriously this weapon is OP, or is just me?) and baiting his triple attack with smash. Roll through the smash and he's vulnerable to backstabbing + extra attack or special attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom