• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
is the
magic
axe you find behind/underneath the
dragon
early in the game worth using? doesn't show any scaling and doesn't seem to be that great (im a sorcerer)

I was watching this livestream by Xbox On

https://youtu.be/4gHUEbEFAdo

And me coming from DS2 SOTFS, I immediately noticed how more fast paced DS3 is, damn. But I like that. It's also very clear how much better the hit detection is. When you hit these enemies you see they are really hurting, I love that. I'm not saying anything new here for you guys, but man.... I hope I finish 2 soon, so I can buy 3.

Anyway I have a few questions.

-In the above video I noticed plenty of framerate slowdowns and I wonder, have they fixed most of that now? There was a new patch right?

- I noticed in the video that you can now actually walk when you use the Estus, that's quite nice. Speaking of which, I noticed when the player died nothing happened to his health. Have they changed that from 1 and 2?

-The cutscenes. Always great of course but also handy if we can skip them after having seen them one or twice. But it seems judging by the video that you can't skip them?

Croyles

Need some help with co-op problems.

Friend of mine can summon one friend but as soon as he does the other signs disappear. We are using a password (so soul level shouldnt be a problem), matchmaking on and unrestricted. Any ideas whats up?

Anyone got any sword recommendations after the Claymore? Something that scales well? Farron's Greatsword a good choice? Also halberds, I like halberds.

You can buy a Zweihander off one of the merchants at firelink (assuming you unlocked them) i think so far my first runs of DS games always end up using Zweihander most of the game. Idk why, attracted to the moveset maybe.

Mandelbo

is the
magic
axe you find behind/underneath the
dragon
early in the game worth using? doesn't show any scaling and doesn't seem to be that great (im a sorcerer)

It's quite powerful for a while, but the lack of scaling and the fact that some enemies will be strong against dark means that it's better replacing it sooner rather than later.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn A
byess
W
atchers
are wrecking my shit.

Not surprising as it's just the type of enemy/boss that troubled me in Bloodborne. I'm terrible at the player like foes.

Gave in and summoned help and beat it first try. 😀

I made it through Bloodborne and DLC woth no help, but screw it.

Are there many interesting dex/str scaling weapons in this game? So far I've just been using the Claymore and been wanting to try something else. Otherwise I might switch from quality to str build...

RoS, this area feels like the Shaded Woods done right. I'm also liking the throwbacks in this area - item:
Grass Crest Shield
- I almost cried when I saw I could wield it at SL1. And enemy:
fucking Black Knight!
- I walked along the balcony and dropped down behind it, I didn't even see it from the approach and knew instantly what it was, I've walked up behind one enough times to recognise that armour from a distance!

Those enemies on the crucifixes are really fast and take about 6 two-handed hits with my crappy +3 broadsword. I'm desperate to find some large titanite shards, I feel like my weapon is underpowered at this point, but it seems to have been really linear so far. I was hoping for a few paths to take, which even DS2 had - but unless I've missed them it seems to have been a straight line so far.

- I noticed in the video that you can now actually walk when you use the Estus, that's quite nice. Speaking of which, I noticed when the player died nothing happened to his health. Have they changed that from 1 and 2?
Your health didn't change in DS1 either. DS2 had the gradual reduction, DS3 is more like Demon's Souls where you get a flat reduction in HP until you turn human again - the streamer you watched was probably hollow so their HP didn't changed after they died.

I just got to
the catacombs
, and suddenly I'm not enjoying the game at all. I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but it's absolutely infuriating in a bad way. It feels super linear, and the
skeleton enemies are absolutely ruining me, especially with the purple magic attack
. I don't know if I'm underleveled or just just doing something horribly wrong. FWIW, right now I'm level 42 with 20 vigor, 20 endurance, and 23 strength (didn't seem like the others were worth mentioning here). I'm using a Irithyll Straight Sword +2, which wasn't amazing but totally worked for the past few hours/
the swamp and Abyss Walker boss fight

TL;DR, should I go somewhere else and come back to this later? Is the
Irithyll straight sword
worth sticking with or am I just wasting my time?

I was in love with this game until now, but wow. These two areas have been miserable, with no redeeming qualities.

bobone

So far I'm actually quite dissapointed in the difficulty. I've beat a number of bosses so far, and every one of them was on the first try. I love the boss design and the boss arenas, but they just go down so quick and easy.

On the plus side there are a crazy number of people playing so I am getting summoned instantly. I'm getting sun bro medals left and right. Praise the Sun!

Neoweee

Are there many interesting dex/str scaling weapons in this game? So far I've just been using the Claymore and been wanting to try something else. Otherwise I might switch from quality to str build...

Broadsword is great, but you can use imbues to change scaling around for most regular weapons.

Sawneeks

Banned
Hoooly shit. I just got the F
arron
G
reatsword
and this is all I ever wanted in a weapon. It's so ridiculous and over the top it's great. :D

Mandelbo

If you use a refined gem you can make almost any weapon scale with both.

So far I'm actually quite dissapointed in the difficulty. I've beat a number of bosses so far, and every one of them was on the first try. I love the boss design and the boss arenas, but they just go down so quick and easy.

On the plus side there are a crazy number of people playing so I am getting summoned instantly. I'm getting sun bro medals left and right. Praise the Sun!

How many bosses in are you?

Cob32

I just got to
the catacombs
, and suddenly I'm not enjoying the game at all. I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but it's absolutely infuriating in a bad way. It feels super linear, and the
skeleton enemies are absolutely ruining me, especially with the purple magic attack
. I don't know if I'm underleveled or just just doing something horribly wrong. FWIW, right now I'm level 42 with 20 vigor, 20 endurance, and 23 strength (didn't seem like the others were worth mentioning here). I'm using a Irithyll Straight Sword +2, which wasn't amazing but totally worked for the past few hours/

Irithyll straight sword

I was in love with this game until now, but wow. These two areas have been miserable, with no redeeming qualities.

No your fine. Some of those enemies are brutal and this game has the hardest areas imo out of the souls series. Keep at it unless you haven't done
cathedral of the deep yet
otherwise go and do that first.

Well, that opening of the gate at the beginning of the Undead Settlement was pretty disturbing.

Also, and I feel like a lot of people think this, but this game sure feels like Dark References 3. Like, everything seems to be a wink wink nudge nudge to the past games, even Bloodborne, in a way that is neat but is happening so much that...it's kinda weirding me out. I can't tell what's lore and what's "Hey, remember the first time you saw Anor Londo?"

That said, this game is pretty fucking boss so even with those things it's still top tier gaming.

Also what the hell is a mad phantom?

Stiler

Is my game/graphics bugged? I made a post earlier about the blood effects (or lack thereof compared to bloodborne) and was told they were in the game.

However when I have fought a few enemies this is what I see on my character:
GjSIWQu.jpg

Those weird blotches that look like faint "shadows" or something.

Is this normal or is something wrong with my graphics?

Mandelbo

I just got to
the catacombs

Irithyll straight sword

I'm not sure about your weapon, but you should probably get higher than +2 - you're going to start getting large shards quite soon.

No your fine. Some of those enemies are brutal and this game has the hardest areas imo out of the souls series. Keep at it unless you haven't done
cathedral of the deep yet
otherwise go and do that first.

I entirely forgot about the location; I'll head back that way and check it out. Thanks!

I'm not sure about your weapon, but you should probably get higher than +2 - you're going to start getting large shards quite soon.

It requires twinkling titanite to reinforce, which I haven't found much of. Starting to think I should just switch to something less annoying.

Cob32

Is my game/graphics bugged? I made a post earlier about the blood effects (or lack thereof compared to bloodborne) and was told they were in the game.

GjSIWQu.jpg

I think they're supposed to be blood. I think this game had a blood spatter effect at some point in development but who knows.

HOLY FUCK.

This is some hardass shit. I was doing perfectly okay in Bloodborne but this shit is fucking me up. I've played 4 or so hours and I'm still at Lorthic Wall. Just got to 2nd boss, including tutorial. That fight shouldn't be too bad but I mean, it's those fucking Knights. Also, the closest fucking bonfire is so far away to the boss...

I like it though...I just don't know which weapon I want to use. I was a Ludwig Holy Blade user, and thats probably my favorite weapon in any game.

You can sprint right past them pretty easily

teokrazia

Bosses are getting better, even if one was clearly able to reach my hitbox while his sword was one meter and half besides me.
And the level design is still dense and inspired.
I thought I was stuck, then I go back to an apparently meaningless route and a whole world opened me. Then things continued over and over, bring me to some brand new levels. Wow.

Amazing game, despite some very annoying flaws [lock, camera, collisions, AI].

Respeced to a strength build from a dex build so that I can us ethe great axe. Man this damage is great. And it really isn't that much slower than the spear and scythe I was using for my dex build. I wish great axes were bigger though.

MortosDer

Neo Member
if you are a knight, you start with a shield that is 100% physical absorption right off the bat

i switched to something else now but it lasts a good chunk of the game

I'm a Warrior... Started with a Round Shield and used at least until
Undead Settlement

Wagram

Beat P
ontiff
as a melee only build at level 43. Good lord that fight. I could totally see that being a joke with any magic build.

Landford

Banned

GjSIWQu.jpg

I think im quite sure it was supposed to be ashes/soot mixed with blood. Some enemies have different blood colors (While yours is red on the splatters on the ground when you get hit).

Need some help with co-op problems.

Friend of mine can summon one friend but as soon as he does the other signs disappear. We are using a password (so soul level shouldnt be a problem), matchmaking on and unrestricted. Any ideas whats up?

Try using dried finger

Or switch to non password matchmaking....

Apparently password summonning has limits in certain areas

UberLevi

Anyone know of a way to get L
eonhard's
set without killing him?

Also, why are people in Firelink treating me like I'm a member of the dark phantom covenant when I haven't invaded anyone else's world?

Late post, but Im going to make some art to chronicle my playthrough of the game (as much as I can) Stayed up late to finish the first piece. Wanted to share before I went to bed and woke up for work in 5 hours, aaah

tumblr_o5m89nSB1Y1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

This is wonderful, love the style of it. It captures the energy of that moment really well.

Excellent work

Zomba13

GjSIWQu.jpg

It's ash, not blood. You get covered in soot.

Late post, but Im going to make some art to chronicle my playthrough of the game (as much as I can) Stayed up late to finish the first piece. Wanted to share before I went to bed and woke up for work in 5 hours, aaah

tumblr_o5m89nSB1Y1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

That is fantastic.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
The difficulty has been like a rollercoaster for me. Tutorial boss killed me like 10 times. Vordt killed me zero times, felt like a badass. Then the tree boss...had to summon help.

Tecl0n

Deacons of the Deep
boss was easy, but goddamn it was entertaining and a joy to look at. Actually the whole area is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom