• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Storm Curved
Sword is Kreygasm.

Yeah I used that sword for a good bit in the mid-game. Its Weapon Art can catch a lot of players off-guard in PvP. I've finished off quite a few people with that spinning frost move; they don't expect you to be able to hit them at that range because the weapon is otherwise pretty short.

Edit: oops nm, was thinking of the
Pontiff Knight Curved
Sword, which iirc was a random drop from one of those enemies

The Flash

Banned
Those knights wielding a mace and a massive shield in a nutshell:

iu

The Wall

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Aldrich's like
5 massive bolts in a role then 10 homing balls followed by homing arrows
is just too much, too much

Yeah, it'd appear this boss is also a nightmare for speedrunners. If you get bad rng and he does the arrow rain a lot... That eats up time.

All in all though, because of the varied moveset, this was one of my favorite fights in the game. I had to retry a bunch of times solo, but I never minded because it was a fun fight to get the hang of.

btw for the
arrow rain I just do a jog around the arena, no rolls

It took me a full hour of solo attempts to learn it and get it down. Such a great feeling when he died.

Overall boss designs, themes and soundtracks in this game are the best in the series so far, imo.

I was pretty close at my second attemp, but that
shadow thing
he summons just made things impossible. Worst of all, my co-op summon died before phase 2 even began, so it didn't help that much. The music during that battle is too good for this world.

Finally managed to find a illusionary wall by blindly attacking some walls, feels good man. All the previous ones were heavily hinted at by items showing in impossible to reach areas

Timeaisis

I just got the
the snowy castle

I'm tired of my Katana thing, is there anything else that has a good amount of poise break that staggeres for Dex? Weapon is also a tad too slow for my liking.

Try a thrusting weapon like the estoc or the sellsword twinblades, seem to have pretty good stagger.

Puppen

Banned
Aldrich's like
5 massive bolts in a role then 10 homing balls followed by homing arrows
is just too much, too much

I just beat him, had two companions and they both died, and I ran through every single estus flask. What a motherfucker.

Finished the game and usurped the fire, whatever that means. You know, these games would probably have an interesting story to tell if they actually tried explaining something... anything once in a while.

As for bosses, beat most of them in one go except for PS, CG, 2Ps, TNK, and SoC.

Most deaths were:

PS - was about 4 tries, had to switch to Butcher's Knife from Greatsword.
CG - probably 10+. CALM THE FUCK DOWN DUDE!!!
TNK - 8ish. He's pretty easy to dodge against, but it's one of those things where if you get hit, you'll get trapped in a hit > heal > hit routine until you die.

I feel Bloodborne has superior combat and better mobility, especially. I'm really not a fan of the almost malicious slowness of everything you do in these games: attacking, blocking, rolling, sprinting... whatever you do, it's all too damned slow.

I've blocked/rolled/whatever BEFORE the enemy does ANYTHING and they'll still get the hit in.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Yeah, it'd appear this boss is also a nightmare for speedrunners. If you get bad rng and he does the arrow rain a lot... That eats up time.

All in all though, because of the varied moveset, this was one of my favorite fights in the game. I had to retry a bunch of times solo, but I never minded because it was a fun fight to get the hang of.

btw for the

Rush him, he doesn't arrow when you're close.

Baliis

This game took a MASSIVE difficulty hike going into
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
it feels like geez. The flame witches' spells have crazy hit boxes and track so hard and some of the tall sword/shield guys can take like 75% of my health in one hit. Currently getting my shit pushed in by the weird
dog thing that ambushes you in the water
, I almost had him the first time, but got greedy trying to get the last hit in and died.

Beautiful zone though.

eot

Banned
I just killed A
byss
W
atchers
and my Estus is 8/+2. Just curious if I've missed a shard somewhere. Don't have PS+ so I can't see messages and haven't found a single illusory wall.

rdytoroll

All said and done I have to say that the Undead
Settlement
is my favorite area. All the different paths, the architecture and the boss make this one of the best level designs in the game.

Zafir

btw for the

Yeah but like quite a lot of bosses, it actually chooses it's attacks based on your range.
If you're close it's less likely to do the purple beam projectile attack(the one that goes straight at you rather than flying in the air), and the arrow attack.

Now sadly since he resets every now and then you can't be close all the time, but you can totally minimise the amount of time he does do the annoying range attacks. The melee attacks are much easier to deal with.

The e
ggs, under their bellies.

Apparently I am missing something, lol.

Years and years ago, Sony unveiled the PS3 at E3, and it was a fucking disaster. The $599 price point made it a joke, and one of the games they showed off was supposedly based on historical battles from ancient Japan, but it had a giant enemy crab boss with a weak point you could attack for massive damage.

Since the PS3 really struggled for awhile, this joke had a good shelf life.

N° 2048

Holy mother of god.

Got home from work, smoked a bowl and put some hip hop on.

Then told myself I am going to straight up fuck up Iu
dex Gundyr
and I did. The brain is something special.

I think I only took like 3 shots from the boss too.

Welp, thats it! Game completed with all secret areas included.

darksouls3finish.png

crazy I actually finished this like 10 hours faster than Bloodborne.

Not sure why my level got so high. I didn't even use the five free levels from that one NPC. I just almost never lost my souls, explored a lot for the Souls of Soldiers, and always used Boss Souls towards my leveling up.

I had a very basic Knight build. I used the initial long sword for the entire game, focusing on Strength, Vigor, and Endurance. With a high combo of that, you can beat just about anything. I also found every single Estus Shard and Undead Bone Shard for maximum survivablity.

I used the Elite Knight gear once I stole that from Inra, until way late in the game where the Faaram Armor becomes available as you see in the above picture. Got one of the "bad" endings, you'll know when you see it.

I'd say the hardest bosses were definitely NK, 2P, CG, DR, and the Dancer. Actually one-shotted the Abyss Walkers and the final boss, with the former I had no estus left so it was close. With the latter, I was just totally out of his league and was Embered up from beating NK. Still got to see a lot of his moveset and it was a fun finale.

Really dope game, cant wait for the DLC!

Ferr986

Gotta love people summoning for the D
ancer
at really low levels.

Like sure, we're totally gonna cut it with our +2 weapons.

OH LAWD finally got 30 Proof of Concord Bullshit! Hooray me!

Now on to HUMAN DREG GRIND! I WILL HAVE ALL THE THINGS! At least vertebrae and sunlight medals and the invader tongue things will be far easier with a friend involved.

Chorazin

darksouls3finish.png

Not sure why my level got so high. I didn't even use the five free levels from that one NPC. I just almost never lost my souls, explored a lot for the Souls of Soldiers, and always used Boss Souls towards my leveling up.

I had a very basic Knight build. I used the initial long sword for the entire game, focusing on Strength, Vigor, and Endurance. With a high combo of that, you can beat just about anything. I also found every single Estus Shard and Undead Bone Shard for maximum survivablity.

I used the Elite Knight gear once I stole that from Inra, until way late in the game where the Faaram Armor becomes available as you see in the above picture. Got one of the "bad" endings, you'll know when you see it.

I'd say the hardest bosses were definitely NK, 2P, CG, DR, and the Dancer. Actually one-shotted the Abyss Walkers and the final boss, with the former I had no estus left so it was close. With the latter, I was just totally out of his league and was Embered up from beating NK. Still got to see a lot of his moveset and it was a fun finale.

The fuck? You beat it in 15 hours? Like how? This is blowing my mind.

mxgt

Banned

darksouls3finish.png

16 hours, wat. I'm at 32 hours, SL 75 and I thought I was going through it really quickly.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
9/10 when I invade it's 3v1, is this normal or am I missing something? No one ever attacks each other, even other red phantoms go straight for me instead of the host. It's really fun when it's FFA or 1v1 but it's so rare, it's almost always a group vs me.

Persona7

Banned
9/10 when I invade it's 3v1, is this normal or am I missing something? No one ever attacks each other, even other red phantoms go straight for me instead of the host. It's really fun when it's FFA or 1v1 but it's so rare, it's almost always a group vs me.

welcome to dark souls

The Lamp

I think the game runs great on PS4. I survived PS3 Blighttown. This is so much better.

I feel bad for the people who feel like they need a refund, console gaming must be awful for them.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

darksouls3finish.png

I beat in 21 hours and thought it was quicker than most oO

Jobbs

Banned
I have 26 hours on record but I haven't even beaten the pontiff yet and I'm only level 50

right now I'm slogging htrough the ithryll dungeon

I think some of it is just me idling the game though

Oh shit, where is the second bonfire in the
swamp
?

This area is pretty tough...thanks to the
red eye -
enemies -_-

Where do I find a good quality weapon? I'm still using the Astora sword (+3) but it doesn't scale...

mulac

Played a few hours with my my knight last night. Took a few tries to take down Vordt but oh man was it worth it to get to Undead Settlement.

I feel now the game properly begins and I'm savoring it completely (even though also started a play-through on PC as pyromancer coop with my brother).

Screw every other game this year - this is it.

One thing though, i've decided to buy my brother (in UK, i'm in Australia) a proper laptop that can handle DS3 better.
He's currently rocking an Intel Core 2.10GHz, 6GB ram, 64 bit Win7, nvidia geforce gt 520M graphics card - and the game is CHUGGING.

Any suggestions on a better laptop that can handle the game?

sora87

Yeah but like quite a lot of bosses, it actually chooses it's attacks based on your range.
If you're close it's less likely to do the purple beam projectile attack(the one that goes straight at you rather than flying in the air), and the arrow attack.

Now sadly since he resets every now and then you can't be close all the time, but you can totally minimise the amount of time he does do the annoying range attacks. The melee attacks are much easier to deal with.

He still
spammed the shit out of them when i was attacking close range. I don't have a clue how I'm meant to dodge so much shit so I'm gonna give it a rest for now.

darksouls3finish.png

Do you just run past normal enemies or something? Follow a guide? Summon a lot?

That time just seems strange to me. I normally go through these a bit faster than average but i also don't go for 100% my first time. Just see what happens. Im at 21 hours and
at dancer
. I did bloodborne in 23 first time. I haven't had any real block point either. Dont think any boss has taken more than 8 attempts or so either. 16 hours just seems nuts for a first playthrough blind.

Luigiv

darksouls3finish.png

What the hell, did you just rush through from boss to boss without exploring? 16 hours is crazy. I'm at 21 hours now, and I'm still only in
the dungeon
. Factoring in all the remaining areas, including the secret ones, and I reckon I still have another 10 to 15 hours left.

And I thought I was going pretty fast too, given that my friend has put in the same amount of time but is 2 areas behind me.

Well, at everyone's behest I went ahead and beat (End/Late game spoilers)
Dragon Dad
went past that surprisingly easy fight into one of the fan favorite boss fights,
Champion Gundyr
who kicked my ass for a good while. Then I went back to the
Dungeon
and went to the
Archdragon Peak
. My god, both boss fights there were incredible.
The Ancient Wyvern was just fun to play through, and the nameless king was an incredible fight. He is the only boss that made me change up my gear. I got a +9 Knight Crossbow and some lightning bolts to lay waste to the King Of Storms. Still a challenging second phase though.
Now I just have one last fight ahead of me before NG+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom