• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trace

Banned
I just wish it worked consistently. I can go from those high activity periods, and then go through a period where i don't find anyone, not summoned, can't invade, get connection errors, etc :(
When it works it's indeed amazing.

Two things keep it from being perfect for me.

1. The Darkmoon implementation. Why is it just a copy/paste of the Blue Sentinels?

2. The Darkmoon implementation. Yes this is twice. Being only able to invade when another specific covenant that no one uses is being invaded is silly. Takes so much longer than the other covenants that you can just co-op/duel to get.

Jintor

Lothric?
I'm just bummed out you barely find out anything about the one dude who showed up. The true hero of ds3.
poor guy just waits for you to finish killing other guys so he can just melt away

nah, what'shisface. A
drich
. Not past him Lordwise yet.

/edit weird, What's his boss music?
I though it was Priscilla's, but I just checked and actually the start sounds a bit more like Sif's?

nah, what'shisface. A
drich
. Not past him Lordwise yet.

/edit weird, What's his boss music?
I though it was Priscilla's, but I just checked and actually the start sounds a bit more like Sif's?
It's
gwindolin's theme albeit a bit different

Also for a moment there I thought you meant depressing for the character himself and not in general, aldritch is having a time of his life

Jintor

It's
gwindolin's theme albeit a bit different

Also for a moment there I thought you meant depressing for the character himself and not in general, aldritch is having a time of his life

Oh yeah that dude was having a fucking blast. Prick.

Got him good though. Set him on fire and put him back on his chair.

Mutombo

So at the Un
tended
Gr
aves
I'm finally facing a boss that is giving me a hard time. Jeebus. If anyone has any tips?

Veelk

Banned
I'm on
Yhorm the Giant
. I know he's supposed to be a puzzle boss, but I thought that with my level seven Greatsword. Nope.
I do maybe 1% damage even with that. I have noticed that there seems to be a ledges up there, and that might work better to hit his face, but I have no idea how to get up there.

It's almost a shame, really. Taking him down 1v1, giant sword wielder vs giant sword wielder would have been cool.

Mutombo

Good God the
Lothric
fight is a pain in the ass!

Late game boss spoiler.

No man jus
t hug his belly, he'll jump over you, you'll take minimum to no hits and can hack away. Stop hacking to refill your stamina bar and raise your shield, because he'll jump again.

I realize there might be two bosses; one is in the King's Garden, and I was talking about that one.

What's the best Straight-ish sword in the game for a STR/FTH build? Currently rockin' Astora's Straight Sword +4 but want to save my shardz for something better.

Sawneeks

Banned
Pfffft. Mid-game PvP spoilers. Mostly locations/covenant spoilers.

So I'm invading as an Aldritch Faithful and I group up with another AF guy. We meet up and run around looking for the person we invaded but have no luck so we decide to split up. He runs up towards Londo and I run over the the illusionary wall where you can find the AF covenant and the person we invaded is there! He dashes down the ladder and I run out of the room to try and flag down my AF buddy but he has disappeared. But I'm like, hey, this guy is alone in a big room I'll be fine! So I climb down the ladder, feeling like a hot-shot who is going to wreck this poor sap we invaded, and I turn around and this SunBro and our target are standing side-by-side near the ladder with crossbows ready for my ass. A beautiful set-up and follow through by those two as they proceeded to wipe the floor with me.
Biggest 'oh shiiiit' moment of the game.

Trace

Banned
I'm on
Yhorm the Giant
. I know he's supposed to be a puzzle boss, but I thought that with my level seven Greatsword. Nope.
I do maybe 1% damage even with that. I have noticed that there seems to be a ledges up there, and that might work better to hit his face, but I have no idea how to get up there.

It's almost a shame, really. Taking him down 1v1, giant sword wielder vs giant sword wielder would have been cool.

Get the sword behind him. Use the weapon art on it and hold it until the weapon glows. Use strong attack after you dodge his attack.

Big Brett

No man jus
t hug his belly, he'll jump over you, you'll take minimum to no hits and can hack away. Stop hacking to refill your stamina bar and raise your shield, because he'll jump again.

I realize there might be two bosses; one is in the King's Garden, and I was talking about that one.

I'm talking about
the actual Lothric fight.

smashism

Cant seem to googlefu a clear answer here. Just got the game and I can't figure out how long weapon skill buffs last for. I currently have a mace.

So at the Un
tended
Gr
aves
I'm finally facing a boss that is giving me a hard time. Jeebus. If anyone has any tips?
Keep a small distance and wait for his swings and dodge, if you want to risk it on some occasions his last swing will even go over you so you can get extra hits.

The things to look out for are the
kick and the shoulder bash, the bash has a tell that you can recognize, the kick is hard, just roll away and insta heal if he hits you with it

I'm talking about
the actual Lothric fight.

Keep in mind that in the second phase,
you only need to kill the small guy, so always circle around for a hit to the back

cluto

Lategame boss spoilers (NK):
Nameless King was so hard at first, but now that I've had a fuckton of practice helping people beat him to a pulp, he may be my favorite boss fight in the entire series. His entrance, the stormcloud arena, his fashion style, the difficulty -- it all amalgamates into such a satisfying victory once you beat him, especially if you manage to land the final blow like this: https://gfycat.com/PhysicalCloseEuropeanfiresalamander

Veelk

Banned
Get the sword behind him. Use the weapon art on it and hold it until the weapon glows. Use strong attack after you dodge his attack.

Sorry, I haven't read your post, but I'm assuming it's instructions on what to do. I don't want that. I was just noting my disappointment that I couldn't take him down the traditional way, not asking for help.

Trace

Banned
Sorry, I haven't read your post, but I'm assuming it's instructions on what to do. I don't want that. I was just noting my disappointment that I couldn't take him down the traditional way, not asking for help.

Well I mean you can. It's just going to take a long time.

The spooky dungeon and area after were amazing. Straight up "fuck i'm in the middle of nowhere and it's all fucked up and where in the flying fuck is the bonfire" classic Souls gameplay.

Ledbetter

Getting around R
oad
of S
acrifices
zone.

I think I'm getting beyond where I'm supposed to be. So far I fought a
Stray Demon, which I think is an optional or mini boss, after finding a Farron Wolf.
am I missing a boss before that?

Veelk

Banned
Well I mean you can. It's just going to take a long time.

Well, yeah, that's what I meant. I thought that with my weapon, I'd have a chance of doing it in a reasonable time frame, but I don't. That's the kind of challenge you do when you've beaten the thing in the traditional way enough times that you do that just out of sheer boredom.

BeeDog

Still quite early in the game (I assume?); just reached Farron Keep. Those (minor enemy spoilers)
tall, slender monsters with snake-y hair that jump on top of you
might be some of the nastiest and creepiest enemies in a Soulsborne game yet.

Really liking the game so far, hope it keeps up!

JJD

So after I screwed Sieg quest line Greirat died on Irrithyl even though I didn't even speak to Patches.

I killed Sieg on the Dungeons since he was stuck and I wanted his gear and he dropped everything, so I guess the only real incentive to complete his quest line is to keep Greirat alive.

What Greirat's wares did I miss since he didn't complete the thieving mission on Irrithyl? I already gave his ashes to the old woman so I can buy all his old stuff.

Also I decided to look for some guide help since I was afraid of screwing any more quest lines and I found out that Patches actually saves Greirat if you tell him his location???? Can anyone confirm this?

deim0s

When you post a summon sign (Sunbro'ing or whatever) are you scaled down to the summoner's level or is it still +/-10 level range?

daninthemix

Can people share their secrets to doing good damage? I feel like every weapon I upgrade disappoints in terms of damage. In DS1 it was possible to do really good damage even as early as the Parish, so everything in this feels like spitwads.

co1onel

End game boss spoilers:
Beat the nameless king, and wow, that was easily the best boss fight in the entire series for me. Took me an hour or two of straight playing to beat him, but there was never a time where I felt frustrated. Such a fun and rewarding fight. I've heard a lot of complaints about the camera during the first phase. Honestly only had one or two times where the camera caused me to get hit, but the dragon phase was not very hard to begin with. The visuals, music, and lore all came together perfectly. I never got tired of watching the dragon swoop down into the arena as I ran in.

I think the dragonslayer swordspear is my new favorite weapon. I was originally gonna use the regular dragonslayer spear but this thing is too cool to stop using. I love how it gets both the spear and halberd moveset, along with an awesome weapon art.

Leezard

Can people share their secrets to doing good damage? I feel like every weapon I upgrade disappoints in terms of damage. In DS1 it was possible to do really good damage even as early as the Parish, so everything in this feels like spitwads.

I just went with the Fire Gem as a gift and upgraded my Longsword to fire. It dealt really good damage, especially when upgraded.

jb1234

Yeah, I've kinda gotten to the point where my long sword isn't really dishing the damage that it should be (at least in comparison to DS1). I've gotten to
Old Demon King
and
Pontiff Sulyvahn
and aside from them being utter assholes, I'm barely damaging them.

Zoggy

End game boss spoilers:
Beat the nameless king, and wow, that was easily the best boss fight in the entire series for me. Took me an hour or two of straight playing to beat him, but there was never a time where I felt frustrated. Such a fun and rewarding fight. I've heard a lot of complaints about the camera during the first phase. Honestly only had one or two times where the camera caused me to get hit, but the dragon phase was not very hard to begin with. The visuals, music, and lore all came together perfectly. I never got tired of watching the dragon swoop down into the arena as I ran in.

I think the dragonslayer swordspear is my new favorite weapon. I was originally gonna use the regular dragonslayer spear but this thing is too cool to stop using. I love how it gets both the spear and halberd moveset, along with an awesome weapon art.

yeah thats a really cool fight, and the area (not that level, just that boss "room") is really fuckin Nito

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm halfway through NG+, and I've been using weapons I didn't in my first run, and I have to say the
Chaos Blade katana
is amazing. I have it only at
+4/5
since I don't have another
slab
but wooo man.

My STR/DEX is 40/40, and this seems to allow quite a few weapons to be pretty great.

Dunno what you're using, but I've been using the same weapon since before Firelink Shrine (Uchigatana), infused Sharp later, and I kill most regular enemies in 3 R1s or less (currently upgraded to +7). Often, I 1 or 2 shot things if I use the draw attack weapon art. Some bigger things take more, but I haven't felt underpowered at any point and I'm 10 bosses in.

BKJest

I killed Sieg on the Dungeons since he was stuck and I wanted his gear and he dropped everything, so I guess the only real incentive to complete his quest line is to keep Greirat alive.
You also get a Titanite Slab out of it. And you can fight along him on the Dungeon Boss. Not as a phantom. He joins you in battle like in Demon's Souls 1-3.

Yeah, I've kinda gotten to the point where my long sword isn't really dishing the damage that it should be (at least in comparison to DS1). I've gotten to
Old Demon King
and
Pontiff Sulyvahn
and aside from them being utter assholes, I'm barely damaging them.
Dark sword is the answer for everything, get it to +10 and even the final bosses melt under it

I thought Sorcery would be better at higher levels, but with a +10 Court Sorcerer's Staff and 40 int my Soul Spear did 310 damage to (to my knowledge) non-resistant mobs. What a joke.

daninthemix

Also I hate the fact that you only start seeing chunks at Lothric Castle...basically the end of the game.

In DS1 if you wanted you could have a +15 weapon by Anor Londo. I know technically you can beat the Dancer early, but most players simply won't be able to do that.

Carm

I'm confused, left valley to firelink to spend souls. Did that then went outside firelink and ran into a green Soul orb worth 30k+, has that happened to anyone else? I did grab something out there that gets left by an NPC but I don't think it's related.

I need help with a boss and ember doesn't show any help (because I used it already in the same area?) If I use the password help, could someone still appear and help me?

Also I hate the fact that you only start seeing chunks at Lothric Castle...basically the end of the game.

In DS1 if you wanted you could have a +15 weapon by Anor Londo. I know technically you can beat the Dancer early, but most players simply won't be able to do that.

You start seeing chunks way before that from
Smouldering Lake
and
Irithyll Dungeon
, but only enough to get to +7 or maybe 8.

And, I reiterate, even +7 has been more than enough kill the bosses up to that point.

BKJest

Yeah I hate the too. Everything is gated and it especially visible in the upgrading system which they took straight out of Bloodborne. The thing I love the most about (repeat playthroughs of) Dark Souls is how I can just roam the map for the items I want before I seriously start my playthrough.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, it's official. I am never playing a souls game blind again. I just spent an hour retrekking the entirety of
Irythill Dungeon
trying to find
Seigward's cell
. I literally checked every single nook and crany and I couldn't find him. I finally look him up online, and I'm supposed to go around the
profaned capitol
and which leads be back into the dungeons.

Obviously, right?

Between that, and getting locked out of two different side quests I was highly interested in going through without any sort of warning that that was going to happen, accidentally finding out I doomed that
blind nun
to insanity because I apparently wasn't supposed to
give her dark tomes
, and basically fucking over pretty much every side quest I had going on, I decided that I'd rather get spoiled than have my entire game fucked up because Dark Souls hates the player.

And I don't want to get spoiled. While I don't think the first experience is the be all end all, there is a uniqueness to it, but these stupid random dick punches the game keeps throwing at me that I have no way to knowing are coming is just...this is just stupid.

Yeah I hate the too. Everything is gated and it especially visible in the upgrading system which they took straight out of Bloodborne. The thing I love the most about (repeat playthroughs of) Dark Souls is how I can just roam the map for the items I want before I seriously start my playthrough.

They took the upgrade system out of Bloodborne? Did you not play Dark Souls 2?

Well, yeah, that's what I meant. I thought that with my weapon, I'd have a chance of doing it in a reasonable time frame, but I don't. That's the kind of challenge you do when you've beaten the thing in the traditional way enough times that you do that just out of sheer boredom.

Turned out I didn't do that fight the 'right' way, but I thought I was...
I stuck close to him to bait the slam move, then used that opportunity to whack at his arms a bit(they're unarmored). Enough whacks and he staggers, letting you do a riposte type thing, and several of those eventually kills him. All the messages around the room kept talking about 'try weapon' and I thought that was what they meant :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom