• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does it confirm anything? I feel like I'm missing something here, he was clearly meant to sort of resemble O
rnstein
, but that's probably because he was just another
dragonslayer
no? I didn't see anything in his soul/item descriptions that would connect him to O
rnstein.

I haven't gotten to N
amless King
though, so maybe it's connected to that.

The armor has the same design, the helm specifically is a lion's head with a red plume. It could be just based on the original's design, but it has a more ancient look and more detailed design then the original (that's not that strong of evidence admittedly). For the greataxe: "Melted iron greataxe that once formed part of the Dragonslayer Armour.
Thickly imbued with the power of lightning. Use skill to draw upon the techniques used to slay the archdragons." I think it's most likely that this is the actual armor of Ornstein, specifically because of its more ancient stony nature, size, and that it inherently knows the techniques used to slay the archdragons; I don't think a copy of the armor would know something known only to those who fought the dragons. Unless I'm mistaken, the only information available on the Age of the Ancients and the war that follows is either presented as an old tale or through actually meeting the reclusive Lords or receiving their soul/item descriptions in DS1. Nothing so specific as the way the archdragons were fought (besides the Lords' powers) was passed down through the ages, unless it was taught firsthand, like with quelana. Also, if it wasn't hinted to be so old I wouldn't be as confident that it was actually Ornstein's. I'll admit that my claim is partly based on conjecture, but it makes the most sense to me. Unless some lore connecting Ornstein and Lothric is unearthed, that is.
We can continue to discuss this in the lore thread later if you want (seems more appropriate to post in there).

mstevens

If you're upgrading strength and dexterity best to leave it as is, alternatively you can go refined for reduced base attack and B/B scaling. If you were just strength making it heavy gives it A scaling

What would I infuse butchers knife with then if it's already A scaling.. Nothing? Going str build

Steel

Banned
Have a question, would it be wise to infuse the Dark Sword with a Heavy Gem to get a better scaling?
I mostly upgrading STR, DEX, Vigor, Endurance and sometimes VIT.

If you have a decent amount of dex, no. It completely eliminates the DEX scaling. I just sharpened it so it has even scaling.

jett

D-Member
The level design in this game can be quite maddening sometimes.

Would be cool if there was some Square Enix style cgi cutscenes after momentus occasions when defeating bosses that helped expound upon the story.

Man I'd settle for a fucking pop-up text box that tells me something. I wish I had more to go on. As far as I'm concerned this is the story of some dude that is doing stuff for no reason at all.

If you're upgrading strength and dexterity best to leave it as is, alternatively you can go refined for reduced base attack and B/B scaling. If you were just strength making it heavy gives it A scaling

If you have a decent amount of dex, no. It completely eliminates the DEX scaling. I just sharpened it so it has even scaling.

Alright thanks, will just go the normal route then so the scaling will be still there with DEX and STR. Hope I don't need to farm ages to get it from the Dark Wraith.

DeSo

Banned
Fuck this Abyss Watcher, where the fuck is the opening? The fire aoe never ends.

And then he fucking cheeses you while you're getting up, gg.

I can never summon three people, or two plus an NPC, but I get summoned by others that can. I don't understand.

Every time I try, after summoning the second person, all the other summon signs disappear.

And besides that issue, summoning just seems so spotty so far. Yes, I realize the the person was probably summoned before me, but even so, just seems so inconsistent. I never remember having this many problem with 1 or 2.

Loving the endless loading screen error that seems to be affecting the Xbox One version right now.

Those gripes aside, I'm still really enjoying the game.

You need the monkey paw to do it

Edzi

The armor has the same design, the helm specifically is a lion's head with a red plume. It could be just based on the original's design, but it has a more ancient look and more detailed design then the original (that's not that strong of evidence admittedly). For the greataxe: "Melted iron greataxe that once formed part of the Dragonslayer Armour.
Thickly imbued with the power of lightning. Use skill to draw upon the techniques used to slay the archdragons." I think it's most likely that this is the actual armor of Ornstein, specifically because of its more ancient stony nature, size, and that it inherently knows the techniques used to slay the archdragons; I don't think a copy of the armor would know something known only to those who fought the dragons. Unless I'm mistaken, the only information available on the Age of the Ancients and the war that follows is either presented as an old tale or through actually meeting the reclusive Lords or receiving their soul/item descriptions in DS1. Nothing so specific as the way the archdragons were fought (besides the Lords' powers) was passed down through the ages, unless it was taught firsthand, like with quelana. Also, if it wasn't hinted to be so old I wouldn't be as confident that it was actually Ornstein's. I'll admit that my claim is partly based on conjecture, but it makes the most sense to me. Unless some lore connecting Ornstein and Lothric is unearthed, that is.
We can continue to discuss this in the lore thread later if you want (seems more appropriate to post in there).

Hm, I honestly think you're reaching. Isn't it more likely to assume that
it was just one of the knights that hunted dragons under Ornstein? I'm sure Ornstein wasn't the only one, and seeing as he was one of Gwyn's four knights, he likely had a whole army of similar knights serving under him that also hunted dragons. For your idea to work, we have to accept that the Ornstein design in both DS1 and DS2 was a lie, which isn't really supported by anything imo.

I'm considering heading to the lore thread, but I'm not sure if I should before I beat all the optional bosses and get the other ending.

Grief.exe

Man I'd settle for a fucking pop-up text box that tells me something. I wish I had more to go on. As far as I'm concerned this is the story of some dude that is doing stuff for no reason at all.

lol

Welcome to Souls, the devil is truly in the details and it takes a community effort to fully comprehend the story.

Dahbomb

I fucking hate the
Irythill Dungeon
. This is even worse than the swamp.

It's not evne difficult, it just tries your patience. I've gotten to the room with the branding iron people circling around like 5 times, and died because one of them got lucky and staggered me to the point where it destroys my entire healthbar and kills me.
How the fuck is this fun?
Fun... in a Dark Souls game?

4be8ba4617dd862f07c688bc22631bf1.png

The level design in this game can be quite maddening sometimes.

lol

I was just thinking about it too, while Dark Souls didn't really explain the lore or the universe, it actually did a pretty good job explaining your goals and where + why you had to go there to do it.

This game is literally the story of a person who goes places they really shouldn't! I mean, basically if this person was not "us" and we didn't really know some of the story tidbits from the last games, they would be completely fucking lost.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah Dark Sword is pretty good, all the scaling, the moveset and the stamina takeway is pretty great, Want to get it too, also infusing it with Refined Gems, so scaling is getting even better.

I didn't know what infusion was best so I just went the regular upgrade route.

sappyday

I summoned someone for the Yhorn fight and this player was literally taking off around 5000p of HP. It was like a big wave coming from his sword. Wtf.

I summoned someone for the Yhorn fight and this player was literally taking off around 5000p of HP. It was like a big wave coming from his sword. Wtf.
That is pretty much the only way to beat him. It's a gimmick fight
you have to use a weapon art of a specific weapon to hurt him

WarAdept

That boss is basically a direct rip of a boss from Demon's Souls.

There's a Giant Slaying sword at the base of the throne that is effective for only that boss. Does 5k+ damage to him with stance charges.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If you are going STR and DEX, the Refined Gem route is the best bet, because the scaling will be B / B for both stats.
But the normal route should work too.

Yeah I went quality. It tops off at 230 base and I get another 203 with my current stats. I do have more than one though. How many refined gems does it take to get it to B scaling?

Sanctuary

What is the purpose of the elevator that's in the chapel like area before the
Deacon
fight? If you're facing the boss door, it's to the left. It just goes up to
allow you to open the large doors that lead to the upper front section of the outside, but it's not actually a shortcut to anywhere, other than just allowing you to drop down to the bonfire.
Unless I am missing a ladder or additional elevator that makes it one. It just seems like "Oh yeah, interconnected see?!", but pointless.

Jesus I can't even beat the first "boss" lol. The one you have to fight if you rip out the sword :(

I remember back when I thought Demons Souls and Dark Souls I where challenging but I was able to play through it, man, I've lost my touch since then I guess.

What is the purpose of the elevator that's in the chapel like area before the
Deacon
fight? If you're facing the boss door, it's to the left. It just goes up to
allow you to open the large doors that lead to the upper front section of the outside, but it's not actually a shortcut to anywhere, other than just allowing you to drop down to the bonfire. Unless I am missing a ladder or additional elevator that makes it one. It just seems like "Oh yeah, interconnected see?!" even though it seems pointless.
It sometimes triggers a part of a certain npc questline

sappyday

Trick for that boss. Using a certain weapon.

That is pretty much the only way to beat him. It's a gimmick fight
you have to use a weapon art of a specific weapon to hurt him

That boss is basically a direct rip of a boss from Demon's Souls.

There's a Giant Slaying sword at the base of the throne that is effective for only that boss. Does 5k+ damage to him with stance charges.

What the hell. I fought him like 5 times thinking why the fuck my weapon was barely doing any damage. I thought it was a King Vendrick scenario so I just gave up and summoned. Makes no sense to design the boss like that. Storm Ruler made perfect sense to do something like that in Demon's.

Sanctuary

It sometimes triggers a part of a certain npc questline

Are you talking about
Patches
? Because I've had that person appear all of one time in the
Cathedral.
Otherwise, it's always at
the tower
. Even so, the doors don't seem to play any part in that, only the elevator.

ramyeon

Are you talking about
Patches
? Because I've had that person appear all of one time in the Cathedral. Otherwise, it's always at
the tower
Siegward.

I had to open those doors in order to trigger that quest to move forward.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Is it worth infusing the butcher's knife for a quality build or should I just spec into str and use a heavy gem?

Also I heard they made the terrible decision to giving you limited Slabs. First blood rocks in BB and now Slabs. Why can they just make them easy to farm like in 2?

pa22word

Are you talking about
Patches
? Because I've had that person appear all of one time in the
Cathedral.
Otherwise, it's always at
the tower

He shows up at the cathedral as long as you speak to our beer drinking friend first, which has to be triggered by opening the front door first and backtracking a bit, and before you beat the boss.

I've had it glitch where I raised the gate myself and then been
kicked
off once I tried to cross it by him just showing up out of nowhere.

Sanctuary

Siegward.

I had to open those doors in order to trigger that quest to move forward.

That's...weird. The door never had anything to do with it for me, and I've advanced
his
questline without it.

edit: Hmm, I had
Patches
appear there during my first playthrough, because I skipped
the tower, and I did open those doors first, but you can still get him to spawn in the tower without messing with the Cathedral, and you can then buy the armor you need for Seigward.

That just seems like the oddest trigger ever, because it's literally on the way, and just to the side of where you actually need to go to...

Yeah I went quality. It tops off at 230 base and I get another 203 with my current stats. I do have more than one though. How many refined gems does it take to get it to B scaling?

B / B seems to start at Refined + 6 the first time.
So you have to farm a lot from the Red Eyes Lothric Knight.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So, the Lothric Knight Shield is pretty darn good. It blocked all of the
Cursed-Rotted Greatwood's
attacks.

Is there a better shield later on?

The crest shields all have 100 phys defense and a really good defense in a certain elemental defense. I kinda feel they outclass all the other medium shields. You can even parry with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom