• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, I honestly think you're reaching. Isn't it more likely to assume that
it was just one of the knights that hunted dragons under Ornstein? I'm sure Ornstein wasn't the only one, and seeing as he was one of Gwyn's four knights, he likely had a whole army of similar knights serving under him that also hunted dragons. For your idea to work, we have to accept that the Ornstein design in both DS1 and DS2 was a lie, which isn't really supported by anything imo.

I'm considering heading to the lore thread, but I'm not sure if I should before I beat all the optional bosses and get the other ending.

Well, in that case, I'll just respond in here.

You're assuming that Ornstein's knights all had similar armor to him, which I don't think is likely. More likely is that he led silver knights, rather than a wholly unique group. Gough himself led the Dragonslayers, but they were specially trained silver knights, as seen in Anor Londo. Only Ciaran's Lord's blades are said to have worn the similar armor, but hers was unique with its ivory locks of hair. That makes sense in their case because they were assassins, it doesn't make as much sense for the other four knights.

Also, I don't think the design is a lie in DS1, I think it just doesn't fully capture the power and majesty that truly was Ornstein's armor, and Gwyndolin's illusion was just a mere copy of something greater (like false Anor Londo itself).
I won't be able to reply until tomorrow, sorry!

OAg7T3k.png

50 hours well spent.

GOTY and probably the best game in the series. Now I just need that DLC pronto.

Only 50hrs legit? I don't believe you

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That's a lot faster than I thought it could be done. Congrats

Did you farm covenant stuff or actually do the associated activities?

I'm never get summoned for Watchdogs or blue spirit work so I imagine its easier to farm them once you get gold serpent ring and spec into luck.

Zoggy

well i just beat it

its still good but if they do another one of these souls games with the same formula and storyline i aint jumping on board.

I don't think it would take too long to grind them out out. I already have a few, just have a feeling from is going to 'performance adjust' it though.

I hope they won't, well you can boost your discovery with the gold serpent ring or the crsytal sage rapier anyway, so it makes dropping less a hassle at least.

pa22word

Also: PVE'rs need to watch out for Lorian's Greatsword.

Its buff is not just a buff, but also a regular GS powerstance that has a completely devastating R2 follow up. I've been completely mauling people with it, doing at least 75% damage if they get caught in it. Most don't even bother to roll when I do the buff, so all I basically have to do is hit them one time and tank a hit with the buff's poise stance, then unleash that R2 and they're dead. I've killed every single invader that I've fought the last two nights this way. The attack is really pretty too, and my god you will know when you're hit with it because it sends people flying dead eagle like 8 feet in the air.

phierce

well i just beat it

its still good but if they do another one of these souls games with the same formula and storyline i aint jumping on board.
In a year from now when the next one drops...BB or a DS variation, I'll bet anything you'll be right here with the rest of us.

LAA

I fucking hate the
Irythill Dungeon
. This is even worse than the swamp.

It's not evne difficult, it just tries your patience. I've gotten to the room with the branding iron people circling around like 5 times, and died because one of them got lucky and staggered me to the point where it destroys my entire healthbar and kills me.
How the fuck is this fun?

Yeah that was a difficult area. It's mainly difficult because of lack of shortcuts and resting points. That and the enemies lowering your health. I agree, it's just a pain to finally push to shortcuts. It's seemed the hardest area to me so far anyway.

Swuabino

Only 50hrs legit? I don't believe you

OK, you got me. It was actually 52 hours.

That's a lot faster than I thought it could be done. Congrats

Did you farm covenant stuff or actually do the associated activities?

Thanks!

I made the covenant rewards a priority since there are so many people playing this week. I ended up farming mobs for the
Watchdogs of Farron
since it was tough getting summoned at my soul level for that one. For the rest, I just did the associated multiplayer activities.

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay

Bought all unique armor and tomes, roughly level 90 now
Refraining from leveling any more
I would completely break my level to 150, but I fear I can't pvp then, which runs the terrible risk of being unable to complete the groups I need to get the pyro flame stuff or sorcery stuff.

Cyborg

I was invaded by two phantoms
Faraam
in the
Swamp
Are these phantom NPC's or were the real persons? They acted like real person but I defeated them both (one was waiting till my first fight ended)

So, wow. Just wow. I just finished the boss fight in P
rofaned
C
apital
and something happened in the beginning I wasn't expecting.

I killed the boss first try, but well... I'll just copy and paste my video description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DhNvh2fqH4
This. Was. So. COOL.

This was first try, but I take zero credit for the fight; Siegward is a huge badass. I didn't know he'd be joining me here, and while I take it upon myself to not summon for any reason and going shieldless on first playthroughs in Souls games, I rolled with it here for a few reasons:

A. Didn't want to miss out on Siegward's questline ending.
B. Thought that it was absolutely thematically appropriate to have Siegward in the fight after hearing his pre-fight speech.
C. I didn't "summon" him, he just kind of showed up.
D. If From takes the time to make a special cutscene for something, I'm honor bound to see it through to the end.

In a second playthrough, I'll absolutely do it without Siegward, but I can't imagine it's too hard. I didn't equip the Storm Ruler I picked up during the fight, but I can tell what it's for, and Yhorm's attacks aren't difficult to dodge at all.

Roussow

To all 3 of you fellow sorcerers out there

What are you doing for a melee weapon?
I guess I'm just going to have to find a gem that infuses with Intelligence scaling (Or probably pick up a tailored boss weapon), either way, what's best for such a task? using the magic weapon spell as been working on pretty much whatever weapon I can pick up at this point, I've been using the Uchi as I've put some points into Dex for the spell casting increase, but there's probably something fairly early that works just as well, yeah?

KeRaSh

I've been slowly making my way through the early part of the game. Beat the AWs on my second attempt (first one was not embered just to check it out, was one hit away from winning then but got too greedy and was rightfully punished).
I love the boss weapon I got for the soul (the one that costs 10k souls) but it's hard to find the Titanite Scales to upgrade it... The Butcher's Knife might surpass it if I manage to find more upgrade materials for that which would be a shame.
Might also farm for a Dark Sword. That seems to be a little OP but I don't mind stacking the cards in my favor. What materials are used to upgrade the Dark Sword?

I managed to glitch out a F
ire
D
emon
ind the C
atacombs of Carthus below the bridge
I got scared and ran outside that little doorway and it couldn't get through so I shot it with arrows. Apparently I got a little too close and it did a charge attack. The next second it was just gone and I heard it falling down the pit behind me. It must have glitched through the door and the terrain. Easiest souls I've ever gotten!

eot

Banned
High Wall of Lothric
The locked door by the second bonfire, past the dragon, is that something I need to come back for later? I never found the key for it and I was expecting it to show up at some point but so far it hasn't.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
High Wall of Lothric
The locked door by the second bonfire, past the dragon, is that something I need to come back for later? I never found the key for it and I was expecting it to show up at some point but so far it hasn't.

An NPC sidequest deals with it.

ezekial45

Banned
High Wall of Lothric

Later.
Keep interacting with the man in Firelink Shrine that gave you the Cracked Red Eye orb, and eventually (after you clear some other areas) he'll give you the key to unlock to door

I think it's because it's a buggy fight. Once when I was summoned there was no lighting effects from the bracelets so basically I was fighting a shadow in a unlit room. Another time his HP bar wouldn't move and the mobs were invincible. And then once he crawled past the wall so his poison was unavoidable.

You know, I was wondering why people were
Wolnir
was so hard.
I beat on my third try without any trouble and I only ever died by getting in his vaguely defined cloud; but then I looked at the wiki entry. For some reason, in all of my attempts he never used his sword and never summoned any skeletons! His entire moveset was swipe and vomit. Swipe and vomit. Thought he was a gimmick boss to be honest, but turns out he just glitched the hell out for me.

Zoggy

Nah. The formula is too good. Every 12 months or so I need some souls goodness.

Never change FROM.

another

-first level that takes place right outside a castle, like the city around it or something
-a dragon will breath fire down a long bridge
-poisoned swamp level
-level that goes into the tombs and has mummies and skeletons
-level that takes you high up in the sky and is dragon related
-at least one boss which is just figuring out puzzle
-PATCHES, he screwed you over again, oh my, how do we keep falling for this
-level where you go back to the beginning area and fight the same boss but he's STRONGER!
-Giant Bull fire boss
-boss where the guy is superfast and has a 16 foot sword
-all wrapped up in a story that is about an old king/lord gone mad or something, and you have to kill the 4 special/great dudes and continue the age of fire or renew the cycle again or something.

there, you played the next soulsborne

edit: i'm going to preemptively say i'm not here to shit on this game. its still good and i enjoyed it, but this is the last time they can do this and get away with it for me.

Caim

Beat
Aldritch
after three tries he wasn't as bad as I thought, but it fucked me up when I realized that when you
run from his arrows that sometimes they reverse and come back around. There were a couple of times where I thought I could run away from them and then back to the boss but nope!

Demoskinos

Can anyone tell me how the crow works in this one? I traded a black firebomb to him homeward boned to the bottom of firelink shrine came back up and no Titanite Chunk. WTF.

Carl7

This game has by FAR my favorite PvP. You can invade everywhere, you get the orb right at the High Wall, it's instantaneous, super aggressive monsters provide plenty of help against gankers and sometimes I have to turn off the covenants because they won't stop calling me.

10/10

Can anyone tell me how the crow works in this one? I traded a black firebomb to him homeward boned to the bottom of firelink shrine came back up and no Titanite Chunk. WTF.

Did you "Discard" the item instead of "Leave" the item? Also you don't need to go anywhere. It works like Dark Souls 2. Just "Leave" the item and immediately pick up the orange thing.

These are the bosses I've killed so far:

Ludex, Vordt, Greatwood, Crystal Sage, Deacons, Wolnir, Old Demon King, Abyss Watchers

And last night I got to
Irithyrll.

Have I missed any optional/main areas thus far? Also am I correct in thinking that
Irithyll
is the critical path?

These are the bosses I've killed so far:

Ludex, Vordt, Greatwood, Crystal Sage, Deacons, Wolnir, Old Demon King, Abyss Watchers

And last night I got to
Irithyrll.

Have I missed any optional/main areas thus far? Also am I correct in thinking that
Irithyll
is the critical path?

No, you haven't missed anything, and yes, that's the critical path.

MilkBeard

What's up with the
Storm Ruler?
It does less damage to
Yorm
than my current weapon, even when powered up.

Either way, I must be underleveled here. My attacks do piddly damage. We're talking Ludwig on NG+ levels. I've been really well paced for damage up to this point. Probably going to have to level. I've tried even using a lightning weapon, which doesn't seem to matter either.

MGrant

What's up with the
Storm Ruler?
It does less damage to
Yorm

Either way, I must be underleveled here. My attacks do piddly damage. We're talking Ludwig on NG+ levels. I've been really well paced for damage up to this point. Probably going to have to level. I've tried even using a lightning weapon, which doesn't seem to matter either.

You gotta do the charged version of the weapon skill. Should take roundabout five hits.

Sawneeks

Banned
I've never really tried PvP in a Souls' game before but if they are all this good then I've been missing out on some great stuff. Covenants are still really so-so for me but when I do get connected it's so much fun.

Fuuuuuuuuck I thought what appeared was the item I just laid down. Well great.

Fear not, you're not the only one lol.
I thought the system worked like in Dark Souls 1, but nope, also laid down an item and came back later, item gone too lol.
At least now I know the crow drops it instantly after you've dropped your item.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
To all 3 of you fellow sorcerers out there

What are you doing for a melee weapon?
I guess I'm just going to have to find a gem that infuses with Intelligence scaling (Or probably pick up a tailored boss weapon), either way, what's best for such a task? using the magic weapon spell as been working on pretty much whatever weapon I can pick up at this point, I've been using the Uchi as I've put some points into Dex for the spell casting increase, but there's probably something fairly early that works just as well, yeah?

I'm no sorc, but you'll probably want to infuse your favourite weapon with a Crystal gem.
I think you can get one somewhere between the Crystal Sage boss and Cathedral of the Deep. I went from the swamp to the cathedral last night and found one in my inventory.

Jintor

so far, lore wise, if the implications i'm reading are clear (and they were fairly spelled out I think) cleric lord has been the most depressing lord

WarAdept

What's up with the
Storm Ruler?
It does less damage to
Yorm

Weapon Art charge it up. It takes around 2-3 seconds to reach full charge. You'll know because there's a flash down the blade and the winds become more violent, along with a sound effect.

MUnited83

For you.
This game has by FAR my favorite PvP. You can invade everywhere, you get the orb right at the High Wall, it's instantaneous, super aggressive monsters provide plenty of help against gankers and sometimes I have to turn off the covenants because they won't stop calling me.

10/10

I just wish it worked consistently. I can go from those high activity periods, and then go through a period where i don't find anyone, not summoned, can't invade, get connection errors, etc :(
When it works it's indeed amazing.

MilkBeard

Weapon Art charge it up. It takes around 2-3 seconds to reach full charge. You'll know because there's a flash down the blade and the winds become more violent, along with a sound effect.

Confusion was, even when fully charged up, you have to use the weapon 'skill' during full charge or it has no effect whatsoever.

so far, lore wise, if the implications i'm reading are clear (and they were fairly spelled out I think) cleric lord has been the most depressing lord
Lothric?
I'm just bummed out you barely find out anything about the one dude who showed up. The true hero of ds3.
poor guy just waits for you to finish killing other guys so he can just melt away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom