• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutombo

This game actually made me break my streak of not summoning anyone else for help with a boss.

FUCKING
PONTIFF SULYVAHN

Last time I summoned someone for help in a From game was like 4 years ago when I was playing through Dark souls for the second or third time and needed help with O&S.

EDIT: Even managed to beat the goddamn
dancer of the boreal valley
on my own but not the stupid
Pontiff

What I did on try 2, and found to work really well:
Wear your heaviest, best, thickest armor. If you have it; use iron skin (i used it once, only lasts for a bunch of seconds). I wore winged knight set and was 98% weight.

You cannot roll and actually, you don't need to. A lot of his attacks have a hitbox of a shrimp. Simply strafing and hugging his sides will do. Don't be afraid to hit him a lot, but remind yourself to stop hitting and refill your stamina (stamina ring will help) to block more upcoming attacks. I expect great shield will help greatly, too.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but if you're fighting a skeleton or the undead in the area where you fight them, equip a shield as your main weapon and it'll auto knock them down with every hit. Not sure if it has to b a great shield or not, but it made the entire area a hilarious joke after I found that out.

One shot down. Rise from the dead? One shot still down. Down already? I can still hit you while you're down. Ninja undead? One shot still down. Two hand sword undead? One shot still down.

I was dual wielding shields there and goddamn did it make the area much much easier.

ogbg

I wanna do a fat-roll run in
Catarina
armour. What's the earliest I can get
Patches
to turn up?

I think it's as soon as you get the
tower key
. ENB encountered him after
Vordt

EDIT: He probably doesn't have the armour yet though.

btw, you guys seriously need to invade more. Stop with your cooperating and your
purple summoning
. Just use those red eye orbs, and kill people.

I may or may not be joining the
Darkmoon
covenant.

Mutombo

btw, you guys seriously need to invade more. Stop with your cooperating and your
purple summoning
. Just use those red eye orbs, and kill people.

I may or may not be joining the
Darkmoon
covenant.

is there a way to invade with your friends though? I keep running into at least three people whenever I invade.

tower key
Vordt

As someone who has done both of those things, this isn't quite right because I've gone up there plenty of times and he hasn't appeared.

I'm in the area he's supposed to appear the first time
cathedral
. So I guess I'll find out tonight.

Also out of curiosity how many other people attempt a boss at first in CO OP at least once to see their move set? I've done it maybe twice this game.

The laughing sound those fat witch ladies make (undead settlement) totally reminds me of the way Tyler Durden laughs when he gets beaten to shit by Lou in Fight Club.

Manu

mk4WHSo.gif

PARTY HARD

I get that, but I'm talking about overall rolling. I could have sworn that different percentages of weight classes gave you different rolls. Maybe I'm not getting the best rolls but I haven't pumped THAT many points into stamina and I can dodge continuously for way too often without getting tired.

Yeah stamina regeneration is really fast on this game. Closer to BB and with only a very brief delay. In most bosses you can infinitely repeat a pattern of roll and slash just off the regen, especially with the ring that increases it.

KorrZ

Had a great run last night. Played for about 5 hours really couldn't put it down.

4 bosses down:

Abyss Watchers
High Lord Wolnir
Crystal Sage
Deacons of the Deep

One shoted all of them except the first one...that asshole took me about 8 tries. 7 last night and then of course I start up again today and do it first try.

Also got invaded for the first time and won! Dark Sword +4 is no joke. I haven't seen anything that can stagger through Stomp yet. Also...Fallen Knight armor is the coolest set I've found so far. I love it.

Just finished the game with a STR build killing all optional bosses in 28 hours for a first run. The last optional boss was pretty insane, I ended up summoning a sunbro and we made quick work of him with the 2 of us.

I like the game a lot, and I thought that in general the level design was a big step up from DS2.

I'm going to start a sorcerer / pyromancer today because I want to make a magic build work, despite hearing that they are terrible. I feel like by mid game with an A/A int/faith scaling chaos weapon and some decent ranged damage they have got to be good and people are just crazy.

Nameless

How long does it take for most players to get through the game? I had my first character, but no idea what I was doing so I dropped him before the Abyss Watchers fight. My second character I completed the game in 22 hours. Thinking I could do it in 12 with my new one,.

Hard to say. How much time are you spending exploring and/or collecting gear? How much side & secret stuff are you doing? Any co-op or pvp? Do you summon for help when stuck? Do you use guides for stay completely blind? All these things play a part but the game is massive.

I'm 50+ hours in at
Lothric Castle
. Played close to 9 hours yesterday and only about 2 of those were spent on the critical path where I took down 3 bosses. That's pretty indicative of my first week with the game.

Nephtes

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!
Okay okay, so not only was I
thiryl of the Boreal Valley
a total lie...because it's actually
Anor Londo
... And then they show the
Giant Blacksmith
dead (sad)... But then THEN you have me fight
Aldrich Devourer of Gods
and and he fucking ate
Gwyndolin
??????

/LOREGASM

Also also... Also....did the
Darkmoon Covenant
leader call
Gywn, "father" and Gwyndolin, "brother"??
??
Does this imply either she
or Priscilla
was the
God of War
who was demoted?

Also... Does that mean
Gwyn and Seathe
got it on? D:

Jintor

I FINALLY defeated the fucking d
ancer
after banging my head against it for two and a half hours. I didn't want to summon because I could reliably get it down to like 3 or 4 hits left but I just couldn't do it.

managed to kill it as it killed me, but since I did that against a
ldritch
earlier I was just relieved it was over

Zeliard

Anyone? Decent DEX builds?

There's a twinswords weap you can find in one of the late locations that I've fallen in love with
(Gotthard Twinswords)
. I infused it with Sharp, DEX scaling is B after upgrades (I have it at +7, dunno if it goes higher than B).

It's good enough that you can use it 1H with something else in the left hand and it's still an excellent single straight sword. It has much better range than the earlier twinswords you find. Superb weapon art and great rolling poke attack while dual-wielding, too. Uses titanite for upgrades. Can be buffed/infused.

The weapon is a beast.

Might be even better if you're going Quality build and infuse with Refined, but it's no slouch with DEX.

Lorcain

I've been going slow and steady on my first playthrough in hopes of finding as much as I can, but somehow I missed the
Deep Cathedral and Deacons of the Deep
boss fight. I've already done the
Abyss Watchers and High Lord Wolnir

What's the best way to get to the
Deep Cathedral
? Starting back at the Crucifixion Woods bonfire?

Luigiv

Anyone? Decent DEX builds?

Yeah, my build seems to be working pretty well. Sharp Great Scythe, Master's Attire, Master's Gloves, (just got) Shadow legging, Carthus Milk Ring, Flynn's ring.

Admittedly the lack of defence can be somewhat of an issue with the late game bosses I'm fighting.

ApharmdX

Banned
I'm getting close to the end now, I'm at L
othric Castle
right before the boss, so a few more things to do. A couple of thoughts-

1. Played as a faith-focused paladin-type build and it's frustrating. You don't get a good faith-scaling infusion until about 2/3 of the way through the game. I got the fire gem gift, put it on Astora's Straight Sword, and that lasted me until A
nor Londo
decently, though it felt under-powered on bosses, a bit. Once you get lightning infusion, though, with its great faith scaling, and life gets easier.

2. I
rithyll Dungeon
is a cheap, bullshit area. Jailers are cheap. There are only three shortcuts, and only the final one is very good. Summoning is near-useless too, so it was basically just a grind for me. Trash overall in this game is harder than previous games, I've found, and this area is a prime example. Easy boss, terrible trash mobs.

3. I really like the game, still! There's lots of cool stuff. And it's gorgeous on the PC. 60 fps and good frame pacing have spoiled BB for me.

I wanna do a fat-roll run in
Catarina
armour. What's the earliest I can get
Patches
to turn up?
tower key
Vordt

As someone who has done both of those things, this isn't quite right because I've gone up there plenty of times and he hasn't appeared.

I'm in the area he's supposed to appear the first time
cathedral
. So I guess I'll find out tonight.

Also out of curiosity how many other people attempt a boss at first in CO OP at least once to see their move set? I've done it maybe twice this game.

He only shows up at the
tower if you missed him in the Cathedral of the Deep. I don't know where he is in the Deep, because I missed him there. Apparently behind a door, but you have to reload the game after opening it for him to appear. I assume it's one of the giant doors.

You might be able to get it from killing the Onion Knight when you first meet him. I'm not sure though.

ogbg

How the fuck would anyone figure out how to get to A
rchdragon Peak
. So awesome hahaha.

If you read the description on the
dragon torso stone
and then remember where you got it after noticing the similarity of the
gesture
then maybe, but yeah it's pretty obscure, lol

Chorazin

Man, the
Old Demon King
was a joke fight for me using Magic. Just blasted him as he slowly advanced or started casting, when he moved fast I broke lock and hid behind the obstacles. Rinse and repeat until dead.

Big Brett

There's a twinswords weap you can find in one of the late locations that I've fallen in love with
(Gotthard Twinswords)
. I infused it with Sharp, DEX scaling is B after upgrades (I have it at +7, dunno if it goes higher than B).

It's good enough that you can use it 1H with something else in the left hand and it's still an excellent single straight sword. It has much better range than the earlier twinswords you find. Superb weapon art and great rolling poke attack while dual-wielding, too. Uses titanite for upgrades. Can be buffed/infused.

The weapon is a beast.

Might be even better if you're going Quality build and infuse with Refined, but it's no slouch with DEX.

I'd like to chime in and say I've just found the S scaling
Chaos Blade
. It's a katana that hurts you a bit, but my buddy just told me I could infuse a shield with blessed power, which would passively heal me I guess? And I've also got the ring that heals a bit when you hit. It's dealing insane damage.

Done 7 bosses, the only really good one (actually amazing) is A
byss Watchers
. The rest were pretty underwhelming. I even got to the 8 Boss (some
Ogre King
or something) and died because I only had one estus left before the battle but I can see that It'll be another lame boss battle.

Other than that, the game is fantastic.

Also...Fallen Knight armor is the coolest set I've found so far. I love it.

Agree completely! I've used that one for quite a while so I wanted to change and found that the Undead set is quite good too, is the one the A
byss Watchers
uses (not so sure about the helmet though). There's another good one that I used with the Thief hood that made me look like a ninja, I don't remember which one right now. :/

Zocano

Done 7 bosses, the only really good one (actually amazing) is A
byss Watchers
. The rest were pretty underwhleming. I even got to the 8 Boss (some
Ogre King
or something) and died because I only had one estus left before the battle but I can see that It'll be another lame boss battle.

Other than that, the games is fantastic.

The game is front loaded with meh to shit bosses.

Zeliard

If the
Dancer's
swords are as good as they look then it might be the ultimate PvP weapon for me.

They're actually terrible right now since they basically do very little damage on most things. They have to go through three separate defenses and damage is low even outside of that. Any regular weapon that you just buff or enchant is going to do far more damage on most enemies. Its Weapon Art is also broken or something, because it does far less damage than just a regular attack and is totally worthless to use on even trash mobs, let alone tougher ones or in PvP, while also sapping all of your stamina and FP.

They're supposed to be getting a buff in this patch, so we'll see.

Chaos Blade
. It's a katana that hurts you a bit, but my buddy just told me I could infuse a shield with blessed power, which would passively heal me I guess? And I've also got the ring that heals a bit when you hit. It's dealing insane damage.

That was my favorite weapon in the previous games though I haven't gotten to it yet this time around. Definitely look forward to using it once I do, but I'm quite happy with those twinswords as well, especially as someone who liked dual-wielding in DS2.

Big Brett

That was my favorite weapon in the previous games though I haven't gotten to it yet this time around. Definitely look forward to using it once I do, but I'm quite happy with those twinswords as well.

Yeah, I had
Gotthard Twinswords
as well. The moveset on those is fantastic.

ogbg

That was my favorite weapon in the previous games though I haven't gotten to it yet this time around. Definitely look forward to using it once I do, but I'm quite happy with those twinswords as well.

I switch between the twinswords and washing pole if I want range.

MUnited83

For you.
Anybody else has completely broken online? For the last two days I had almost zero sucessful invasions or being summoned or even seen summon signs. Messages still show up fine and my messages keep getting rated... It's not because of leveling since i'm well within on the parameters of the places I want to invade or be summoned in...

Chaos Blade

Yeah I found that to be the best DEX weapon. Unfortunately the game is practically over when you get it. I wouldn't say it was amazing though, it hit hard but not as hard as I hoped. I tried a STR build second time and even then I never managed to get damage very high. I've noticed a similar thing with armor making very little difference to damage protection too.

It's bugging me a lot since I dont feel like I can make a power build like before. I miss my greatsword actually being useful too.

Phased

This game actually made me break my streak of not summoning anyone else for help with a boss.

FUCKING
PONTIFF SULYVAHN

Last time I summoned someone for help in a From game was like 4 years ago when I was playing through Dark souls for the second or third time and needed help with O&S.

EDIT: Even managed to beat the goddamn
dancer of the boreal valley
on my own but not the stupid
Pontiff

Yeah that was the boss that gave me the most trouble.

I ended up equipping Dragon Crest Shield (high fire resist) along with some rings that boosted my Fire and Magic/Dark resist. With those both relatively high you can hug your shield through his attacks and not suffer much leakthrough damage from his infused swords. It still takes some good Stamina management or he'll break your guard quite easily. He probably took me a solid 9 or 10 tries though. Felt like a Bloodborne boss.

Halberd-wise, I've been mainly using the Crescent Axe and it's always done me a solid. Anyone else like this weapon? Occasionally switching to the Claymore for variety, but I might start upgrading the Farron Greatsword soon.

Yeah that was the boss that gave me the most trouble.

I ended up equipping Dragon Crest Shield (high fire resist) along with some rings that boosted my Fire and Magic/Dark resist. With those both relatively high you can hug your shield through his attacks and not suffer much leakthrough damage from his infused swords. It still takes some good Stamina management or he'll break your guard quite easily. He probably took me a solid 9 or 10 tries though. Felt like a Bloodborne boss.
Didn't help that I'm doing a no shield run lol. I've been using the sellsword twinblades since the start of the game and they've been a great weapon, loving them so far.

His attack timings are so freaking off that dodging gets really difficult in his
longer attack chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom