• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is scaling actually good in this game, like in Dark Souls, or terrible like in Dark Souls 2? My standard fire longsword +3 still does more damage than the Irithyll straight sword +2 (c/d)

Dimmle

Is there any way to go offline or online when in-game? I see an option to set which mode to default to when starting your session but these games have always been spotty about allowing the player to go offline or online at will.

Ricker

just died to a fucking grunt trying to reclaim my 15k souls in the swamp area.

the pain is real :(

it hurts

I hated that place...thank god I had a bunch of anti poison plants but still very annoying,never killed a crab or those big looking walking tree or whatever lol...maybe I should try one of these guys,they look hard as hell though...also had one plant against bloodlost and granny doesnt sell any at the shrine for me yet...almost killed me once,and the place was a dead end,I think.

Is there any way to go offline or online when in-game? I see an option to set which mode to default to when starting your session but these games have always been spotty about allowing the player to go offline or online at will.

I think in game go to the multiplayer settings and there should be a play offline option.

Yeeeees, I know that having played them all. Dark Souls trilogy though so more relevant. DS1 sequel to Demon's and the ability to level at bons was a clear improvement. Just puzzled as to why the series regressed on that point.
Souls waifu <3

Is scaling actually good in this game, like in Dark Souls, or terrible like in Dark Souls 2? My standard fire longsword +3 still does more damage than the Irithyll straight sword +2 (c/d)

Scaling's alive and kicking. +7 Sharp Uchigatana does way more damage than +7 Fire (with 40 dex), unless you're actually fighting enemies weak to fire.

But, then, if you recall Dark Souls 1 at launch, Lightning damage was basically better than everything for nearly all content. Glad elements took a bit of a nerf to let scaling shine in that game.

Uthred

Anyone else feel that there are a lot less "viable" builds in this than in previous games? Bloodborne got away with it I think because the weapons felt more distinct and due to the games other differences but here a lot of stuff that worked fine in earlier games is notably sub-par.

Yeeeees, I know that having played them all. Dark Souls trilogy though so more relevant. DS1 sequel to Demon's and the ability to level at bons was a clear improvement. Just puzzled as to why the series regressed on that point.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was to encourage players to go back to Firelink and engage with the NPCs but I'm just spitballing here.

Anyone else feel that there are a lot less "viable" builds in this than in previous games? Bloodborne got away with it I think because the weapons felt more distinct and due to the games other differences but here a lot of stuff that worked fine in earlier games is notably sub-par.

For casters, maybe. For melee, I feel like this game's infusion system lets you basically do damage with whatever you want. And I don't just mean STR/DEX.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently I'm an idiot? I didn't infuse my weapon at all in my first run, I thought it was just to add magical properties which stripped scaling, but apparently you can add ones that don't and just buff the damage?

How does multiplayer work in this one? Is it only possible to fight bosses with friends on co-op?

I just spent the last couple of hours doing co-op with my friend, basically the host needs to be embered, and you can't have killed the boss in the area otherwise you can't summon your friend. In the network settings in-game you both set the same password, then you'll be able to see each others white soapstone marks. Basically what we did was clear the entire area, then kill the boss, then we'd meet up at the next bonfire in the next area and re-summon. It works pretty well.

KHlover

Banned
For casters, maybe. For melee, I feel like this game's infusion system lets you basically do damage with whatever you want. And I don't just mean STR/DEX.

Yeah there's a stone for every stat. At worst you'll end up with B scaling for a good stat of yours, which is managable imo.

So apparently I'm an idiot? I didn't infuse my weapon at all in my first run, I thought it was just to add magical properties which stripped scaling, but apparently you can add ones that don't and just buff the damage?

Yeah. Heavy infusions make the STR stat scaling damage higher, and Sharp makes DEX scaling higher.

Infusions ain't just for magic/elements.

Yeah there's a stone for every stat. At worst you'll end up with B scaling for a good stat of yours, which is managable imo.

Agreed. Even at E/B (and I'm definitely sounding like a broken record at this point but I feel it takes repeating because of all the "such and such isn't viable" talk) my +7 sharp uchigatana has destroyed everything with minimal effort. Never once felt underpowered up to where I am.

Ricker

Yep depending on the gems you have...if you had fire,damage will go down for example...

Sblargh

Banned
Finished the game.
A few thoughts:

Generally speaking, the first phase of a boss is like "oh yeah, I love this" and then second phase is just cheap and frustrating and bleh.

This got to a climax on the last boss, where I defeated the first phase with my usual build/strategy (I was running a knight with a very heavy shield and heavy armor and relying on block/facetank with little dodging), on the second phase of that boss, he basically have an attack that says "roll backwards a few times or you will be instakilled" and so I had to defeat the first phase as usual and during the animation where he switches to the second phase, unequip my armor so I could roll.

I really dislike how most bosses on their second phase turn super-agressive and in-your-face infinite stamina attack forever mode. I think the only second phase done right was
The two princes[/B
] because something happened that altered the dynamics of the fight instead of "the same thing you already did but faster, more damage, longer range and ultra aggression grrrrr"

It felt like the game telling me that strategies based on dodge are good and strategies based on blocking are bad.

I defeated all the bosses without help from summons, NPC or otherwise, so maybe that made stuff more frustrating than usual. Still, the problem isn't just that the bosses get tougher, but that they get tougher always in the same aggressive, really long range way. I like these games because of their slower pace, and suddenly it becomes like a god of war boss fight or something.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Heavy infusions make the STR stat scaling damage higher, and Sharp makes DEX scaling higher.Infusions ain't just for magic/elements.

My +10 Butcher's Knife needs a heavy gem then, and I'll definitely keep my eyes open for a sharp for my Katana. I'm just thinking about all the 1% wipes that could have been avoided...

Timeaisis

OK, so I apparently
married a dead Anri
. That was...something. I'm at the point I can either go to the
Irithyll Dugneon
or
Annor Londo
. I'm assuming their both required, but which first?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
|OT2| should be ready as soon as this thread reaches a few more pages!

mxgt

Banned
My +10 Butcher's Knife needs a heavy gem then, and I'll definitely keep my eyes open for a sharp for my Katana. I'm just thinking about all the 1% wipes that could have been avoided...

Can't be infused, sadly.

It's S scaling at +10 anyway.

OK, so I apparently
married a dead Anri
. That was...something. I'm at the point I can either go to the
Irithyll Dugneon
or
Annor Londo
. I'm assuming their both required, but which first?

I did the latter first, but the former has no actual boss. It's just a pass-through area.

Arjen

How does multiplayer work in this one? Is it only possible to fight bosses with friends on co-op?

You can basically play trough the entire game with a friend. Some small areas don't allow Co OP, but 90% does. Been doing this with a friend of mine,its tons of fun to, non stop invasions.

Is this a way to go from offline to online or vice-versa in the same session or will I always have to boot to the title?
Its just in System under the multiplayer tab at the bottom and its Launch settings. I would assume you are able to do that in the same settings but I have not tried.

LogicStep

Safe to say it's good to have a weapon of different types of dmg right? I have the black katana with a posion gem, a fire artoria greatsword, and a deep hand axe I found each at +6 and +4 +4. I guess most enemies are weak to at least one kind of damage. I wanted to try a magic build but I guess I'll do that with a future character. I'm not sure of my character is built efficiently but I got Dex and str to 18 each and left them there so far. Raised vit and end some, I think my highest stat is health at like 23 or something. Int and faith I left at 10. I feel like my stats are messy since I never knew exactly what I wanted but it's been working so far.

Nekrono

So a couple days ago I heard someone on a stream say that DSIII favors strength builds, is this true?

Previous Souls games I've always played strength builds and I have to say even though I do like the look of heavy armor/weapons I'm not enjoying very much lack of speed and agility that usually comes with it, especially after having finished DS2 a couple days ago.

I was thinking of mixing it up this time by going on a dex build but if the game favors strength I might stick with it again. What do you guys think?

Anyone?

Uthred

Any kind of "Heavy" build seems pretty shoddy, UGS are pretty shit, GS are better but still not great and heavy armour having no real poise also makes it feel pointless (fasionsouls aside of course), relying on a shield vs super stamina enemies, etc. . The infusion system gives mediocre stuff a boost but it feels like theres always significantly superior options, especially in PvP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom