• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest thing for me and where the game finally clicked was realizing that there isn't a single encounter in this game you can take lightly, every single clash could be one that kills you and if you treat anything like a "trash mob" than you will die and you will not enjoy the game at all.

Aside from that the game is honestly pretty open, almost any way you build your character can be viable as long as you're smart about it (trying to spread your points across all the stats will just make you a jack of shit). I think having a firm understanding of how the stats work and what they affect is big and I honestly wouldn't feel bad about reading a wiki on anything that confuses you when you're looking at your character sheet or understanding a weapons stats.

Once you got those things down I'd say the biggest thing is don't be afraid of death! It happens to the best of us and it's just an opportunity to figure out what you did wrong and learn from it. Take it slow.

Thank you! I'll keep it in mind.

xorx

Banned
Nope, not a bug. I think you can get your covenant items from invading as any covenant. Though, prob wrong on that and it might just be a few. I'll try testing tonight.
You dont get medals invading as Blues or Aldritch/Farron (unless you are automatically summoned for the latter two) as far as I know.

xorx

Banned
So I beat the game in like 27 hours, doing
both side areas
, first playthrough. Seems like the shortest Souls game yet in my experience.

GulAtiCa

You dont get medals invading as Blues or Aldritch/Farron (unless you are automatically summoned for the latter two) as far as I know.

Yeah, I kinda didn't think so. Would be kinda odd to get those medals as invasions for those covenants. lol

Ravager61

Is there a boss or anything of value in
the demon ruins
?

I killed the old demon king in smouldering lake, stopped the ballista, and found a pyromancy tome in the ruins. Is that pretty much all that is down there? Feels like there should be more.

If I don't want to invest points in luck (I'm going pure Dex), would infusing say, a rapier or estoc with a blood gem be good for triggering bleed? My main weapon is a Sharp Uchi (currently at +6), is that good enough for bleed? Spamming R1 with a rapier gives me more attacks, so that should help build bleed meter, right?

Sullichin

If I don't want to invest points in luck (I'm going pure Dex), would infusing say, a rapier or estoc with a blood gem be good for triggering bleed? My main weapon is a Sharp Uchi (currently at +6), is that good enough for bleed? Spamming R1 with a rapier gives me more attacks, so that should help build bleed meter, right?

if you're investing dex, surely a sharp gem + blood resin would be better?

Damn! I want to see a video of this

https://www.twitch.tv/distortion2/v/61333215

He starts off using the Astora's Straight Sword until he has enough materials to use Anri's. Once he has that to +5 the bosses just melt.

The
Champion Gundyr
fight is around 1:35:00, and he kills him in 23 seconds. I'm not sure any other weapon can do that kind of damage. It's a pretty interesting build. Before Anri's was used/discovered people just went through the whole game using Astoras and still melting things. I guess Straight Swords are just that good?

Audioboxer

Yup. Infusing with a bleed stone will trash scaling (I think). I would say the blood stone is best for a one off infusion in a whip or something, not your main weapon. Maybe if you were playing a low dex/str character, and not relying on scaling but infusions. Either way with a high dex stat stick to sharp, or refined if you're quality built.

Respect

Is it a decent drop rate or will it take me all day? lol

I put on the
helm of avarice
and the
gold serpent ring
...dropped after my 2nd reload of the zone. I might have been lucky though. Took me a little bit to get the gloves but got duplicates of the helm, chest and legs in the farming process, didn't see the sword drop again either while farming the rest of the set.

what is the max level in this game?

Too early to tell, since nobody cares about technical cap in Souls games. What matters is what community ends up deciding as optimal for multiplayer or alternatively just the optimal level for a prarticular build. The higher you go the more noticeable diminishing returns are. So, depending ona build at some point there just won;t be a reason to level up anymore purely for practical reasons.

TheFlow

Banned
What carries over to New Game Plus
Covenant allegiance
All your consumables, armor, weapons, equipment, stats
Hollowing.
Estus and bonfire updates

this is good shit. might as well kill all the npcs for there weapons before I beat the game

Ark

What soul level is recommended for Smouldering Lake and Ithyril Boreal Valley?

I'm level 49 and I'm getting two-shot by everything.

Audioboxer

I prefer going at it alone first time around. I just can't get a break, plus the flames wreck me.

Not too sure then, probably just a 100% shield and taking it slow. What is your build, strength/dex or magic?

Health stat? I rolled into those areas around the same level. The SL is tough though, I died a lot.

TheFlow

Banned

I finished Smouldering lake in my 60s I think but it doesn't matter what your level really is but what your equipment looks like.

SkylineRKR

After 3 hours of farming, I finally got the Black Knight Greatsword. In between I got the Dark Sword without even farming.

I hope BK Sword isn't easy to get some time later in the game, lol.

Yup. Infusing with a bleed stone will trash scaling (I think). I would say the blood stone is best for a one off infusion in a whip or something, not your main weapon. Maybe if you were playing a low dex/str character, and not relying on scaling but infusions. Either way with a high dex stat stick to sharp, or refined if you're quality built.

Thanks guys. I was considering just using resins as well. What enemies drop sharp gems? I've only found 2 so far, and used one of them for the uchi. I'm up to Irithyll of BV. Are they in areas past this, or can I farm in previous areas?

I finished the former at 46, but had 26 point in vigor, so I was able to last a long time. Estus Ring helped out a lot. I'm in the latter area at 49 now, vigor unchanged, and the knights don't two-shot me. Maybe 3-5 shot, depends on the attack.

Audioboxer

After 3 hours of farming, I finally got the Black Knight Greatsword. In between I got the Dark Sword without even farming.

Nope it's a drop. It's a mighty fine weapon as well. I've gone dex on this build but it was a really good strength weapon on my quality character. It's now been buffed as well!

Thanks guys. I was considering just using resins as well. What enemies drop sharp gems? I've only found 2 so far, and used one of them for the uchi. I'm up to Irithyll of BV. Are they in areas past this, or can I farm in previous areas?

There's only a couple to pick up sadly. For farming IIRC it's enemies in the catacombs (all the ones that use dex weapons and bleed you). Prepare for rough drop rates though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So what's up when I am dueling and get someone down to near death, and I can't do damage anymore? Happened a few times in a row. Just lag?

He starts off using the Astora's Straight Sword until he has enough materials to use Anri's. Once he has that to +5 the bosses just melt.

The
Champion Gundyr
fight is around 1:35:00, and he kills him in 23 seconds. I'm not sure any other weapon can do that kind of damage. It's a pretty interesting build. Before Anri's was used/discovered people just went through the whole game using Astoras and still melting things. I guess Straight Swords are just that good?

Do you know why they do the quit out? It seems to spawn him back in the same place.

Leezard

I'm in it right now as SL 51 and I have a good time. I seem to have some more armor or health since I get 3-shot instead of two-shot though.

Sullichin

The
Champion Gundyr

Woah, that is crazy. Might be fun to try but I don't even want to melt bosses that fast

It isn't super easy to get to but yes you can just loot the Black Knight Sword from somewhere.

Visceir

What soul level is recommended for
Smouldering Lake and Ithyril Boreal Valley?

I've been working through those at lvl 40+ with 20 vigor and a +5 astora straight sword, seems very managable.
Smouldering Lake
is such a good place for large and regular titanite shards.

Some monsters definitely hit hard, but I imagine they'll be hitting harder and harder from there on out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4damag/infusion_gem_farming/

According to that guy's testing with 410 item discovery, even though there is an enemy that drops sharp, it seems rare. Still, worthwhile to try.

SkylineRKR

Nope it's a drop. It's a mighty fine weapon as well. I've gone dex on this build but it was a really good strength weapon on my quality character. It's now been buffed as well!

There's only a couple to pick up sadly. For farming IIRC it's enemies in the catacombs (all the ones that use dex weapons and bleed you). Prepare for rough drop rates though.

You can't infuse BK Greatsword it seems, which is a bit of a bummer.

Ark

Health stat? I rolled into those areas around the same level. The SL is tough though, I died a lot.

I'm on 17 health. I realise that's pretty low but I was putting points into endurance, vitality, strength, and dexterity.

I finished Smouldering lake in my 60s I think but it doesn't matter what your level really is but what your equipment looks like.

I started as a Knight and I'm still using that same armour. I haven't found anything better that isn't stupidly heavy and cripples my stamina.

Audioboxer

Oh man, DS pure bladestone all over again. I never even got a pure bladestone to drop. What's a good DEX weapon to use my remaining sharp gem on? Great Scythe, rapier, estoc, or something else? STR is 14, DEX is 30 and climbing.

Rapier/Estoc seem powerful as fuck in PVP if that is your thing.

Not sure where you are in the game but there's more dex weapons to discover than the ones you listed. Choose wisely! I love the Warden Twinblades, and the Carthus skeletons drop some nice swords.

I'm on 17 health. I realise that's pretty low but I was putting points into endurance, vitality, strength, and dexterity.

I started as a Knight and I'm still using that same armour. I haven't found anything better that isn't stupidly heavy and cripples my stamina.

Yeah 17 is a bit low, I'd be aiming for 20~25 now. Fallen Knight set is sweet (and popular). It's mid-heavy armour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom