• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidguy

Banned
so you can use sunlight straight sword to get the buff and switch to another weapon

anyone doing this ? you can also buff enemies if they are near you lol

Respect

So what's up when I am dueling and get someone down to near death, and I can't do damage anymore? Happened a few times in a row. Just lag?

I've definitely noticed this a few times...I've even started to run away from the person to attack the host because I thought the summoned phantom was dead...and then they estus to full and I'm sitting there puzzled.

dealer-

Is there any decent STR weapons that have a faster moveset like the Butcher Knife? getting bored of it now but everything else I have takes a bit too long to swing.

In Ferron Keep, I
went up this ladder in the swamp and am faced with this boss. He doesn't even have a boss health bar but he's the toughest son of a bitch I've fought so far. He's killed me 10 times now.

Shot him to death with arrows... Didn't even have fight him. All of those bosses are useless.

sora87

Of course I've beat
dragonslayer armor
twice in other peoples worlds but just get owned in mine, also lol at
sirris doing like 10 damage to him

Rapier/Estoc seem powerful as fuck in PVP if that is your thing.

Not sure where you are in the game but there's more dex weapons to discover than the ones you listed. Choose wisely! I love the Warden Twinblades, and the Carthus skeletons drop some nice swords.

Yeah 17 is a bit low, I'd be aiming for 20~25 now. Fallen Knight set is sweet (and popular). It's mid-heavy armour.

I might infuse the Esc, it feels a bit more versatile than rapier. I do have a lot of other Dex weapons, but I think they're all in storage so I forgot which ones I have. Don't think I have Warden Twinblades, will check those out! How is Pontiff Curved Sword?

Oh man, DS pure bladestone all over again. I never even got a pure bladestone to drop. What's a good DEX weapon to use my remaining sharp gem on? Great Scythe, rapier, estoc, or something else? STR is 14, DEX is 30 and climbing.

I'm not the best person to ask. I've only seriously used katana type weapons the entire game. But yeah, you're right about it being a really nostalgic parallel to Demon's Souls Pure Bladestone farming, because I also pure bladestoned my Uchigatana in Demon's.

Damn, the nostalgia.

Absolutely loving this game so far but I've got to call out the absurd decision to mimic DS2 in only allowing levelling up at the hub. Completely breaks the immersion when I have to sit through a couple loading screens just to cash in my souls. Why was this ever changed from DS1?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Co-op has made my second run so much fun, so glad we tried it.

Sullichin

Absolutely loving this game so far but I've got to call out the absurd decision to mimic DS2 in only allowing levelling up at the hub. Completely breaks the immersion when I have to sit through a couple loading screens just to cash in my souls. Why was this ever changed from DS1?

DS1 is the abnormal one here. It's the only one of these games to not have a Nexus Maiden character.

Ferr986

They're actually copying Demon's Souls, not Dark 2.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Is there any decent STR weapons that have a faster moveset like the Butcher Knife? getting bored of it now but everything else I have takes a bit too long to swing.

Dark Sword is a bit faster, A str scaling when heavy infused. Really great weapon

Yep, get the dark sword and infuse it. I also had a good time with the butcher's knife while it lasted, but dark sword is where it's at.

Audioboxer

I might infuse the Esc, it feels a bit more versatile than rapier. I do have a lot of other Dex weapons, but I think they're all in storage so I forgot which ones I have. Don't think I have Warden Twinblades, will check those out! How is Pontiff Curved Sword?

Seems decent but I haven't really played with it.

the patch notes mentioned changes to the Greatsword...that's my weapon of choice...did they nerf it?

Buffed.

As Sullichin stated, Dark Souls 1 is the only different one. Demon's came before it and had an npc you leveled at.

Do you know why they do the quit out? It seems to spawn him back in the same place.

The speed running community goes by the in game clock, and opening a big door for example takes like 5 seconds for the animation to go through before you gain control of your character. By starting the animation and quitting the game you can just reload without losing any time.

So they save a very small amount of time essentially since the games loading screen is not counted against their time. It's very minor and only for min/maxing your time.

It could also be so enemies are not on your ass after you reload? I guess I'd have to rewatch and pay attention more.

jrcbandit

What's the best weapon for Chaos Infusion? I'm a pyromancer but also like to melee. Dex is 18, Str 16 but I could respec to drop Str some and/or take up Dex even higher. The main weapons I have used are a refined Dark Sword and an Astora Great Sword. My Int/Faith isn't too high yet so Chaos damage doesn't seem to be that much better than refined but I do plan on raising Int/Faith to 40/40 which warrants switching over.

For spells so far I've really only been using Chaos Fire Orb and soon will be getting Dark Fire Orb for fire resistant mobs, plus I use the fire weapon buff spell. But the fire weapon buff wont work on any chaos-infused weapons so I'm not sure what else to use once I get my Attunement for 4 slots (Chaos Fire Orb, black fire orb, ?).

Well it took them a couple games, but they finally tapped into my biggest fear: Worms. Just a writhing mass of em. A whole area themed around them. I mean, they got close a couple times. There were slugs and leech things in past games, but those didn't creep me out as much. But this shit right here? Fuck I have a hard time getting through it. Not cause it's difficult, but I just get creeped out. I may have to summon for this area.

Just beat
Dancer
on try #2. Really beautiful fight. It's all about patience, and we spent more time just circling each other than actually fighting.

Also bought the armor from the merchant after the fight. So rad.

Menome

Well, I'm in
Ithryll of the Boreal Valley
and have spent most of this evening getting to the second proper bonfire.

The main enemies there are so quick that even fast-rolling is useless against them. It's a case of "Learn To Parry" or you're done for. Thank goodness for the Parrying Dagger.

MrHoot

Do NPC inventories carry to NG+? I don't remember how it was in DS2.

If you mean their shops, all npcs reset in NG+ including their wares. So buy as much as you can before going into a new game+

Speaking of which, new game+ has been more enjoyable for me since i got a hand of what build is viable and what is not. Really a shame that so many weapons are just not viable still. Some big weaps like the UGS types are just way too slow for too little of a bonus DPS output. Others like the cool dual wielding swords don't stagger enough and also have too low of a damage output to make it worth it. Granted I still need to update a few, some bosses could be interesting. I REALLY want to try that hollow build and possibly some elemental stuff

The one area that reminds absolute shit tho is Demon Ruins. Seriously this is the most uninspired place of the whole game and is made even more annoying in NG+

mxgt

Banned
Just finished the game, almost 40 hours. Got the
Usurpation of Fire
ending which was pretty damn cool.

Overall, absolutely loved the game. I think it's the most consistent in terms of level quality across the series, and I don't think there's a single zone I got really frustrated with. Not even the Catacombs!

Boss quality is generally really good, the soundtrack is godly.

Onto NG+, time to retire my Butcher's Knife+10 though, it served me so very well.

DS1 is the abnormal one here. It's the only one of these games to not have a Nexus Maiden character.

They're actually copying Demon's Souls, not Dark 2.

As Sullichin stated, Dark Souls 1 is the only different one. Demon's came before it and had an npc you leveled at.

Yeeeees, I know that having played them all. Dark Souls trilogy though so more relevant. DS1 sequel to Demon's and the ability to level at bons was a clear improvement. Just puzzled as to why the series regressed on that point.

Taruranto

Really wish there was another way to recover HP/FP, or at least just FP.

Us mages are waaaay over penalized when summoned in co-op compared to pure psychical phantoms, even if we melee a lot eventually we run out of Estos in long co-op sequences and become useless. Yes, I know about the blessings, but those are not items you can use a lot.

Also I miss small-soap stone, if you place you summon at the beginning of the level it's guaranteed you won't get any medal or humanity because the host will die. At least they let you activate a bonfire when you have a phantom.

I hate when I try to summon someone and then their sign disappears and then I can't use the bonfire or lay my own sign or quit the game and have to force quit.

I don't know what is going on, but this is so broken it's not even funny. DS1 and 2 were never this bad for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom