• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impulsor

For all people playing Strength builds, there is an incredibly powerful weapon available in the
Road of Sacrifices
, which is accessible straight after beating the second boss.

Ideally you want to end up with 30+ Vigor, 30+ Endurance and 40 Dex if you're going a dex build, the rest is all optional. Unless you're planning to wear heavy armor, in which case you'd need more Vitality too, but I didn't bother.
Which weapon? Please tell me.

By the way, I need help with my STR build. I'm gonna start again with a warrior because I feel like I'm wanting to do everything and messing up my stats pretty early on.

How would I have to level up, starting as a warrior, aiming for a pure STR build and which weapons to aim for?

Odrion

Banned
This game's level design feels like an extension of the Dark Souls 2 DLC. Which is great.

Unfortunately I hate how it looks. It's just so... drab and muted. And the bloom feels like it's straight out of 2003.

Mindlog

I don't know what happened.
EiFXIqw.jpg
Chose Warrior because I'm going to warrior stuff.
Found
a claymore!
Had to level some stuff up. I was two souls short on being able to equip my new weapon. Gave me a laugh. Quick trip out of the area and now I'm ready to play again tomorrow. today... later....

Malcolm9

So tempted to get this, but as I've just come off playing DS2 SOTFS and BB back to back so I think I'll wait for the complete edition with all the DLC.

Camper182

Quick question, did they fix that "jump on side of tree outside of firelink shrine" gitch yet on the latest ps4 patch? need to know before i spend 30 minutes trying to do it lol

KAOz

Short bus special
Quick question, did they fix that "jump on side of tree outside of firelink shrine" gitch yet on the latest ps4 patch? need to know before i spend 30 minutes trying to do it lol

Nope.

And its not a glitch. It's a shortcut.

They would have to remove the entire tree to fix it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

By the way, I need help with my STR build. I'm gonna start again with a warrior because I feel like I'm wanting to do everything and messing up my stats pretty early on.

How would I have to level up, starting as a warrior, aiming for a pure STR build and which weapons to aim for?

Butcher's Knife. You can sharpen it and it will give you HP back. There is a downside in that you can't buff it and you can't apply any infusion to it. It has an A scaling in STR though.

As for your STR build, just pump your STR to 40 (keeping in mind your vigor and endurance) and augment your Vitality to be able to carry your weapon of choice unless you want to fat roll. I think it's 70% when you fat roll. Then focus on your vigor and endurance after you hit the 40 STR soft cap.

Lyonaz

Made a female Pyromancer yesterday, shit is easy mode for some of the tougher enemies.
Defeated the second boss yesterday and finally got enough souls to level up my dexterity to wield the
Uchigatana
I got near the Firelink Shrine.
I must say I'm loving the focus attack on that weapon. So badass.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Found
a claymore!
Had to level some stuff up. I was two souls short on being able to equip my new weapon. Gave me a laugh. Quick trip out of the area and now I'm ready to play again tomorrow. today... later....

Dark Souls 3: Blue Men Fall

Zophop

Has anyone ran into a bug where the cloth of their armour floats next to them rather than being worn by their character? My herald is running around at the moment looking like he has a ghost twin and, as funny as it might be, I don't really want to spend the entire game like this.

Impulsor

Butcher's Knife. You can sharpen it and it will give you HP back. There is a downside in that you can't buff it and you can't apply any infusion to it. It has an A scaling in STR though.

As for your STR build, just pump your STR to 40 (keeping in mind your vigor and endurance) and augment your Vitality to be able to carry your weapon of choice unless you want to fat roll. I think it's 70% when you fat roll. Then focus on your vigor and endurance after you hit the 40 STR soft cap.

So I level up STR alongside the others? Like maybe at a 2:1 ratio till I hit 40 STR?

So. Question:

Dragon Covenant?

Neat Anthro dragon Outfit?

Yes/no?

Seriously, this is literally my biggest purchasing decision.

No, Yes. There is covenant but there are dragon stones again.

Butcher''s Knife, you could probably look up the exact location on youtube, drops off of an NPC that's fairly easy to beat.

If you're going strength, the above is the go-to weapon early on, then later you can opt for some of the really big 2H weapons like the Fume Ultra Greatsword or the Great Machete if you want to go that route.

Get your strength to 40 (soft cap) or to 50 if you want to use the larger weapons, then focus on HP and Stamina stats. You can mix it up a little bit but then it'll be longer until you can wield the really big weaponry due to stat requirements.

Well I figured out my problem, why it was shutting down. The game eats up CPU like mofo unlike anything else (even benchmarks) + having an improperly overclocked CPU (had my 4690k at 4.5GHz with no voltage change) = computer shutting off.

I then proceeded to play this game for hours and hours, and now, at 2:40, I am going to bed. THIS GAME IS SO GOOD!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Found
a claymore!

Don't listen to them. You're beautiful.

Oh man, this game is so much fun. I have a long work day tomorrow so I know I'm gonna regret staying up late... but it's my first Souls game and I couldn't help myself. I spent over an hour on character creation...

XKScaxO.jpg

Ended up making a genderbent Geralt of Rivia. She's a warrior, of course!

I've already died a bunch. That damn ice monster in the tutorial level kicked my ass until I made it to the first shrine and leveled up my HP. Then I went back and killed him after a few more tries. I was so proud of myself!

Ugh I want to play more but I gotta hit the hay.

*Edit: I should report that I've had zero performance issues. Most settings are on high, with the exception of shadow and light detail which I turned down to low. Game still looks absolutely beautiful!

My biggest gripe so far is that the HUD displays controller buttons. I've never even seen that in a PC game before... it feels so lazy.

I'm adoring this game so far. Much better first impression than Dark Souls 2 gave me. I will say, aside from a few problem encounters I feel like I'm plowing through this game. Maybe all those years of playing the series have finally made it truly click - I'm taking down bosses first try, wiping out areas handily, etc etc. Having a blast.

XKScaxO.jpg

Ended up making a gender-bent Geralt of Rivia. She's a warrior, of course.

Damn, that looks really cool.

SomTervo

Oh man, this game is so much fun. I have a long work day tomorrow so I know I'm gonna regret staying up late... but it's my first Souls game and I couldn't help myself. I spent over an hour on character creation...

XKScaxO.jpg

Ended up making a gender-bent Geralt of Rivia. She's a warrior, of course.

I've already died a bunch. That damn ice monster in the tutorial level kicked my ass until I made it to the first shrine and leveled up my HP. Then I went back and killed him after a few more tries. I was so proud of myself!

Ugh I want to play more but I gotta hit the hay.

*Edit: I should report that I've had zero performance issues. Most settings are on high, with the exception of shadow and light detail which I turned down to low. Game still looks absolutely beautiful!

My biggest gripe so far is that the HUD displays controller buttons. I've never even seen that in a PC game before... it feels so lazy.

Awesome - but by "gender bent", do you mean "female"? :p

I think I had a reasonably productive first session. Took down 3 bosses and the pesky Uchi fellow at Shirelink. On to
Road of Sacrifice
tomorrow.

Content wise the game is fantastic. The port quality is a bit mixed though. They definitely improved on a lot of things, but the stability issues are a killer for a first impression. I haven't had any crashes, but I do get the auto-save stutter. Hopefully From can identify root-cause and get a patch out quick.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So I level up STR alongside the others? Like maybe at a 2:1 ratio till I hit 40 STR?

It's what you're comfortable with.

I run around pretty much naked two handing very large weapon, a shield on my back that boosts my stamina recovery, and I make sure that I can roll fast. So my focus was on strength and endurance while pumping strength to get to use the weapon I wanted to use both single and double handed while being able to fast roll. You might be someone who wants to be able to absorb a hit and hits back even harder. Maybe sometimes casting something. Those are very important variables in how you build and what you find fun.

That's the beauty of this game.

If you're not comfortable with that, give it a couple weeks for people to figure out the min/max of this game.

If you're not concerned about the min/maxing, then any weapon and any build can beat this game.

KhayN

Neo Member
damn the only way i had to take down the
Uchigatana fellow
with the starting thief was by forcing him to fell of the edge :| that dude was hard as fuck

damn the only way i had to take down the
Uchigatana fellow
with the starting thief was by forcing him to fell of the edge :| that dude was hard as fuck

Oooh, is that how you get it. I did the same accidentally, and was perplexed about his purpose,
seeing as all he guarded was a locked door.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How important are Int and Faith to Pyromancers, really? Should I just level enough to use the spells I want?

There were 2 doors I couldn't figure out how to open in the first 2 area's.

1st:
Under the 2nd bonfire you descend a ladder. There is a locked gate I can't open and a pat the Greirat cell. How do you open that locked gate?

2nd:
At the end of the Undead Village area before you enter the chapel. Behind the NPC sitting at a fire with the giant hammer (I forget his name), there is a little cave entrance with a locked door. There appears to be an NPC inside.

If they are late game spoilers don't tell me anything, but if they are accessible now, please help. Thanks.

Really enjoying this game so far.

Quick question. I'm using the quickstep weapon art ALOT and I notice I can still do it without any focus left. Is there a downside to this? Other weapon arts do piss damage if you do it with 0 focus but quickstep seems unaffected, unless it loses iframes or something.

If I can use it infinitely than I am stoked for finding a weapon I can level up that has it. Been using bows and daggers mostly and it's a blast. The shortbow moveset is all I've ever wanted from bows in Souls games.

Had a cool moment where I (boss spoilers)
shot a charged longbow arrow down Vordt's gullet while he was breathing frost. Did like 400 damage in one shot from a wooden arrow.

Game is amazing! Hardest start of all the Souls games in my opinion, especially for a Deprived. The Club us pretty awful here.

Played for about 4 hours and only got to the second bonfire on the Wall. I was so used to Bloodborne speed combat that my timing is way off. I did get the Uchigatana and now have a long bow, a good start for my Dex build. Will post more impressions later.

Thank you to the GAFfer who watched my stream and cheered me on! You are my Sunbro.

There were 2 doors I couldn't figure out how to open in the first 2 area's.

1st:
Under the 2nd bonfire you descend a ladder. There is a locked gate I can't open and a pat the Greirat cell. How do you open that locked gate?

2nd:
At the end of the Undead Village area before you enter the chapel. Behind the NPC sitting at a fire with the giant hammer (I forget his name), there is a little cave entrance with a locked door. There appears to be an NPC inside.

If they are late game spoilers don't tell me anything, but if they are accessible now, please help. Thanks.

1: You get the key from an NPC in Firelink eventually, it's the guy who gives you the broken redeye orbs at first, leaning against the biggest of the 5 thrones.

2: You can buy the key required from the Handmaid in Firelink for 1500 souls, but the door you need to open is located in the sewers near the giant rat, then you loop around to the cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom