• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will I see much damage improvement from Carthus Flame Arc from upping my int/faith from 20/20 to 30/30?

If not it might be a better idea for me to invest in more vig/end now that I'm at 40 dex.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have played up until the last quarter of the game (I'm guessing) on a couple of different characters and one thing I have noticed... Sharp infusion is basically worthless right? I have yet to find a single decent weapon that can achieve an A or S scaling in DEX.
Wut? There's plenty of awesome dex weapons. Chaos Blade gets S-scaling, the other katanas such as the Uchi and Onikiri and Ubadachi get B but are still pretty good (esp. o&u with the L1 combos), Rapier gets A-scaling (I think Ricard's Rapier too, not sure), the sellsword twinblades get A scaling, etc.

Don't think so. Her summon sign will be out front of the big double doors that you have to open from the inside so it is easy to check if the quest is active.
Well, I won't see that if I'm cooping the area, right? I'm doing this playthrough with my friend so that's why I want to know if I can
do this part of the quest after killing Aldrich with my friend.

Ferr986

So if you finish the
Usurpation
ending Yuria doesn't turn agressive when you hit her. I wonder if healing
the dark sigil
will make her agressive as usual. I wanted to heal it but I'm liking having a free sackpunch.

So I just had a great Dark Souls moment.

I got summoned into a host's world, was expecting to earn some souls to buy a few things. He summons a dark phantom. We kill the phantom.

I then remember that dark phantoms summoned from signs can be a much lower level then our characters. I started to feel really bad, it just wasn't right.

The host summons another dark phantom, so I decide that I didn't really want to help the host. I attempted to just hide as a Chameleon and idle, but then I had an even better idea: I put on the Skull ring (makes it easier to be detected by enemies), and started running around herding enemies to the host. This nearly backfired, since the host used a seed of tree giant, but it ended up helping the phantom in the end because the host ended up having to kill a lot of the enemies that was brought to him, and finally the phantom was able to beat the host in a 1 on 1 situation.

BeeDog

I am trying to grind Vertebra Shackles for the Mound-makers covenant. Could people provide suggestions on where the best place for this is?

For the offline part, I heard the Catacombs of Carthus skeletons (the harder ones with red eyes are supposed to drop them), but haven't had a single drop within an hour with an ID of 307 something. I'd rather do this online/PvP since it's fun. Where's the best place to drop a summon sign?

I am trying to grind Vertebra Shackles for the Mound-makers covenant. Could people provide suggestions on where the best place for this is?

For the offline part, I heard the Catacombs of Carthus skeletons (the harder ones with red eyes are supposed to drop them), but haven't had a single drop within an hour with an ID of 307 something. I'd rather do this online/PvP since it's fun. Where's the best place to drop a summon sign?

Do you have Gold Serpent Rings equipped? Or used any Rusted Coins?

Will I see much damage improvement from Carthus Flame Arc from upping my int/faith from 20/20 to 30/30?

If not it might be a better idea for me to invest in more vig/end now that I'm at 40 dex.

If I'm remembering right for Carthus flame arc you want 18 fth and then dump the rest into sorcery to optimize the damage. There's a bunch of weird caveats with pyromancy spells and their various behaviors that a new post shows up like every other day on the DS3 subreddit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
By the ways, PSA about trading/dropping weapons, if you guys didn't know (I'm sure this is old news but I hadn't read about it):

You cannot drop a weapon that's ugpraded higher than the other player's best weapon.

So my friend tried to drop me a +3 weapon to transfer to his other character (a rare enemy drop he wanted on another build). He could leave it on the ground, but I couldn't pick it up until I had my own +3 weapon (owning +1 and +2 weapons didn't work).

The weapon stays there and can't be picked up except by a player that has a +3 weapon. My friend came back as a phantom on a different character, who did have a +3 weapon, and could pick it up. lol

You also cannot drop titanite it seems, he tried to drop me some titanite shards so I could take my weapon from +2 to +3 (was missing 1 shard) but I couldn't pick it up. I eventually found a shard and we got it to work but yeah... pretty wonky.

I have the Mimic head on, the Gold Serpent Ring (no + ones, since I'm still NG) and use the Rusted Coins. Still no luck, would rather just do it online.

What's the best place to drop summon signs?

You best bet as a mound maker is to probably invade or Red Soapstone. If you do invade get ready to fight groups, so bring something with reach.

Edit: Right after pontiff is where all the duels are going on.

Keinu

I have the Mimic head on, the Gold Serpent Ring (no + ones, since I'm still NG) and use the Rusted Coins. Still no luck, would rather just do it online.

What's the best place to drop summon signs?

Depends on your level, but outside Pontiff Sulyvahn is a popular spot. I'm level 100 and used my red soapstone there last night. Got about 10 in 40'ish minutes pvp'ing there.

BeeDog

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have a strength build (with some dex points), what's a good weapon with a good reach? I have pretty much collected all the weapons you can get in NG, transposed stuff nonwithstanding.

dock

Met my wall with Dark Souls 3.
60 hours in, I'm thoroughly stuck at D
ancer of the Boriel Valley
so I've shelved this game for a while. I've wasted 20 or so embers getting assistance on this boss, and tried it with 1, 2, 3 and 4 people total. :(

This is probably the furthest I've made it into a Souls/Borne game before hitting a brick wall, but I was able to complete Bloodborne a few months ago.

I-hate-u

so I've shelved this game for a while. I've wasted 20 or so embers getting assistance on this boss, and tried it with 1, 2, 3 and 4 people total. :(

This is probably the furthest I've made it into a Souls/Borne game before hitting a brick wall, but I was able to complete Bloodborne a few months ago.

Don't bring in that many people.
Her life gets boosted. Just stick to her feet and raise your shield when she goes ape shit.

I'd recommend not summoning anyone. If you have a weapon that deals good damage to trash mobs then D
ancer
doesn't have too much HP. At the start/first half its quite passive so get in close and attack a few times, let stamina recharge, repeat etc. Learn to dodge its attacks in an aggressive manner so you don't have to move/roll back in to get an attack when it relaxes. In the second half its more of a tank and spank. If its the whirly-forever attack just back the fuck away or get really really good at dodge-rolling into it - obviously without getting hit - then hit two or three times then retreat.

Ds3 bosses, and esp on successive NG+++s (think i'm on like Journey 7 on my main character) teach me to be patient since the bosses don't really deal much more damage at all, they just have increased HP pools so i learn to take my time. Even if i do, no boss lasts more than 3-4 minutes typically anyway.

Kazooie

Banned
Bloody hell, just wrapping up covenant rewards before I start NG+.

Proof of Concord Kepts, I've looked online and most people are farming the Knights in Anor Londo with high item discovery. I got 1 in an hour last night.

I'm trying to get summoned via Blue Sentinal covenant but this is time consuming as well. I've been summoned twice in the Archives. SL93.

Is there anywhere or anyway quicker to do this?

So I beat
Aldrich
after four attempts, once I learned each of his attacks it was just a case of rolling through everything.

Then I was teleported to
Dancer
which I found extremely difficult to read, the attacks were so fluid and quick.

EPIC moment:

After seven attempts and lots of frustration (going through 12 +7 Estus in no time) I got her down to three hits. I had no Estus, no more healing items and my stamina was gone.

I dodged the grab attempt, rushed in close...she raised her arm to prepare for a strike. I hesitated and then went in for three slashes of my +7 fire infused broadsword. First strike, second strike and just as the third hit lands...she crushed me!

YOU DIED

My Knight collapsed to his knees, my green souls reflecting on the ground. I almost threw my controller at the screen, it was literally hundreds of a second between life and death.

But wait! In behind the darkening screen she collapsed to the ground,
Dancer
Souls appearing as a gift from the other side. It was a double kill!!!

I literally jumped up out of my chair! Was so happy!

:)

Yaaaaay beat the game. Got the
End of Fire
ending.

That was definitely my favourite Soulsborne final boss, and overall I think I'd rank the game second after Dark 1.

Not going to do NG+ yet, want to keep this save for the DLCs.
Still need to beat
Nameless King
as well. Fuck that guy.
Don't really have any desire to get the plat thanks to the covenant bullshit and a ring being locked behind NG++
Nameless King

Whelp, fought
Yhorm the Giant
like eight times before I realized that the
giant killer sword
put me over 70% weight. I didn't even notice I was rolling slowly. I'm a moron.

1000 GS finally complete. NG+ was a cakewalk and I beat most bosses solo on the first attempt. NG++ was slightly more difficult but not very, I summoned for most bosses just for funsies on that playthrough.

The boss that probably gave me the most trouble was Dragonslayer Armour. Took me 5 or 6 attempts on NG++, whereas most other bosses were 1 or 2 at the most. Never had any issue soloing the Champion or defeating NK with one summon.

Fix the covenants or drop rates for covenant items, From.

Final play time was a little over 144 hours

daninthemix

1000 GS finally complete. NG+ was a cakewalk and I beat most bosses solo on the first attempt. NG++ was slightly more difficult but not very, I summoned for most bosses just for funsies on that playthrough.

The boss that probably gave me the most trouble was Dragonslayer Armour. Took me 5 or 6 attempts on NG++, whereas most other bosses were 1 or 2 at the most. Never had any issue soloing the Champion or defeating NK with one summon.

Fix the covenants or drop rates for covenant items, From.

Final play time was a little over 144 hours

What weapons did you end up using?

For me the most frustrating things about this game are lack of poise and knockdowns. So many enemies are capable of knocking you to the ground in this one compared to previous.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So I beat
Aldrich
after four attempts, once I learned each of his attacks it was just a case of rolling through everything.

Then I was teleported to
Dancer
which I found extremely difficult to read, the attacks were so fluid and quick.

EPIC moment:

After seven attempts and lots of frustration (going through 12 +7 Estus in no time) I got her down to three hits. I had no Estus, no more healing items and my stamina was gone.

I dodged the grab attempt, rushed in close...she raised her arm to prepare for a strike. I hesitated and then went in for three slashes of my +7 fire infused broadsword. First strike, second strike and just as the third hit lands...she crushed me!

YOU DIED

My Knight collapsed to his knees, my green souls reflecting on the ground. I almost threw my controller at the screen, it was literally hundreds of a second between life and death.

But wait! In behind the darkening screen she collapsed to the ground,
Dancer
Souls appearing as a gift from the other side. It was a double kill!!!

I literally jumped up out of my chair! Was so happy!

:)

Well played, sir!

What weapons did you end up using?

For me the most frustrating things about this game are lack of poise and knockdowns. So many enemies are capable of knocking you to the ground in this one compared to previous.

+10 Refined Dark Sword and +10 Black Iron Greatshield through pretty much the entire thing. I stuck with what worked.

I did switch from heavy armor to lighter armor on NG+ when I realized that heavier armor is practically useless in this game and much more of a drawback than an advantage. Never done that in a Souls game before since I always play my main/first character as a heavy tank.

bati

I think I'm just going to wait until I do a Quality Build character for N
ameless
K
ing_____
. I'm now convinced that it has been my bleed focused build that's caused a lot of problems (Anri's helps, but I can't hit the 40 Luck cap for this character)

Plus by the time I go through the game again I'll finally be used to timings of most boss attacks in the game.

How much luck do you have? I beat his ass in phase two in about 15-20 seconds with 40 luck, Anri's and carthus rouge (applied at the start of p2). And that was on NG++, I guess it's even faster on NG.

Well, I won't see that if I'm cooping the area, right? I'm doing this playthrough with my friend so that's why I want to know if I can
do this part of the quest after killing Aldrich with my friend.

If you have someone with you you probably will not see it takes you to Anri's world, but I'm not sure.
There may also be a prism stone down at the spot where his/her summon sign is since I remember seeing that before going and then later in the game after I had already finished their quest.

Also, done with Darkmoon grinding. 25 ears in a little under 3 hours. Onto ng++ and hope I finish this in time to enjoy some Overwatch beta.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I think so. From what I understand there is nothing ridiculously hidden so I doubt I've missed anything.
The only actual optional area before
the dancer is smouldering lake. But places like the prilgrims bridge are interesting and easily overlooked.

Drencrom

Okay the second I
udex Gundyr(?)
fight is legitimately bullshit moveset wise, its overall fast as fuck, its attacks have crazy range and some of the sweeps it does can get you even when you roll behind it, and some attacks can even change it attacks 180 degrees in the middle of an attack animation.

Okay the second I
udex Gundyr(?)
fight is legitimately bullshit moveset wise, its overall fast as fuck, its attacks have crazy range and some of the sweeps it does can get you even when you roll behind it, and some attacks can even change it attacks 180 degrees in the middle of an attack animation.
Eh, it only took me a couple tries to get the hang of. Just keep dodging and learn when he leaves himself vulnerable.

Skii

I've just beaten
Aldrich in Anor Londo and now I'm going to return to that place that looks a bit like Tower of Latria
... How far along in the game am I? Past half way? I'm at about 20 hours play time.

Okay the second I
udex Gundyr(?)

I found rolling away from him dangerous, except after hitting him once to avoid his kicks. All other times, I always rolled diagonally towards him so not to roll in to his sweep attack's sweet spot.

I've just beaten
Aldrich in Anor Londo and now I'm going to return to that place that looks a bit like Tower of Latria
... How far along in the game am I? Past half way? I'm at about 20 hours play time.
I'd say about 2/3. You've beaten about half the bosses of the game.

I've just beaten

You've got another 20 hrs to go. Maybe less if you don't get stuck in a pvp loop like I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom