• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chef

Just beat the boss of the
cathedral
Met the NPC outside the boss area and joined a covenant. But now Im not sure what to do/where to go?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Finished my playthrough. Took me 57 hours and I'm certain I'll have missed secret areas, so I'd disagree with anyone who says the game is short on content.

As a final boss Soul of Cinder was alright. I understand it's basically everyone who linked the Flame, and at the end Gwyn. So it makes sense as the final boss. I gave the Firekeeper the eyes and summoned her for the End of the Fire. Again, it made sense to me as an ending. The world(s) are basically destroying themselves as a result of the First Flame being relit over and over all the way back to Gwyn? Then let's put the Flame out. I liked that she was sure she could see many tiny flames in the future, that said to me that first, there is a future and second, it's not a repeat of the destructive cycle. I'm pretty happy with that.

Overall I think 3 is a good game, at times very good, and well worth a playthrough. But I still think it drops off hard after Saint Aldritch.
Which is ironic, considering you fight him in Anor Londo, where everyone thinks part 1 peaked
. While I did enjoy my time with it, and grew very attached to my character build (Strength/Dex with a Bow as back-up) as I always do in these games, I'm definitely ready for a break from the Souls formula now.

dude

dude
Just beat the boss of the
cathedral
Met the NPC outside the boss area and joined a covenant. But now Im not sure what to do/where to go?

Go to Firelink Shrine, talk with Anri.

Or, if you just want to know:
Farron's Keep. You reach it through the Road of Sacrifices.

Alo0oy

Banned
Anybody willing to donate Gundyr's Halberd? I accidentally used his soul and I kinda wanna use it for NG+ for my strength build.

I'm on PS4.

Skii

I found rolling away from him dangerous, except after hitting him once to avoid his kicks. All other times, I always rolled diagonally towards him so not to roll in to his sweep attack's sweet spot.

I'd say about 2/3. You've beaten about half the bosses of the game.

You've got another 20 hrs to go. Maybe less if you don't get stuck in a pvp loop like I did.

Makes sense. When you're actually experienced at Souls games, your playthrough time shortens drastically.

Do either of you guys know if there are any invading NPCs in
the run from Pontiff Suliyvahn and Aldrich
? I haven't played embered because of potential invaders completely ruining my game with their hacks. I'm willing to do a run offline if there is an invader.

BeeDog

Alright, almost finished grinding Mound-maker shackles outside of the Pontiff bonfire, great fun PvP'ing. Which other covenants can be grinded at the same spot? Thanks in advance.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yuria question (quest line spoilers):

Is it possible to get her Black Set AND the Manikin Claws in one playthrough? I know you have to anger Yuria to get invaded by the Pale Shade with the claws, either by killing her spy or by curing the Sigil. However, I heard that killing Yuria (which would grant you her awesome armour set) stops these buggers invading. Problem is, I think she leaves after you anger her...

Any ideas?

laxu

Those beastly Outrider Knights that freeze you can fuck right off in NG+. Jesus they are harder than some bosses. And I was wearing FULL Outrider Knigth armor set with highest frost resistance possible, jeez. Killing them is a matter of luck for me luckily they do not respawn.

Can you imagine 2 of them at the same time as a boss?

Oh I hate those. They require some serious dodging and have few attacks where you can safely heal. Are they even weak to a specific element or something?

test_account

XP-39C²
Alright, almost finished grinding Mound-maker shackles outside of the Pontiff bonfire, great fun PvP'ing. Which other covenants can be grinded at the same spot? Thanks in advance.
Only Mound Makers and Finger Of Rosaria. Technically Archild Faithful as well, if you're lucky to get auto summoned.

maxresdefault.jpg

Finally defeated
the Princes
. Now on to the final challenge.
Nameless King
, I'm coming for you!

Jyrii

Banned
I haven't touched DS3 for awhile, but today I continued.

Last time I got stuck against Po
ntiff Sulyvahn
and didn't want to use any more ember against him. So today I battled without and killed him on the second try.

I also killed Al
drich, Devourer of Gods
on the second try. Though that battle was more like a tie as I got killed at the same time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzBw7XbpjYk

Really don't know where to go now.

Does anyone feel that this game is rather.....easy? Not easy really, but not as difficult as the others? I don't know if I've finally got "gud", or if I just haven't reached the more challenging areas yet. In DS1, I would get my ass kicked by many bosses over and over again. Now? First try. Bosses are going down on one try, or two at most. I've beaten 8 bosses so far. I'm at the point when if I die, it's because I ran into a situation unprepared. I'm playing on a dex (melee only) build using a Sharp Uchigatana which I think is at +6 right now. 30 dex. Am I overpowered for where I am? I do love the game, and do find it challenging in that I need to be on my game so I don't die, but......I don't know.

Does anyone feel that this game is rather.....easy? Not easy really, but not as difficult as the others? I don't know if I've finally got "gud", or if I just haven't reached the more challenging areas yet. In DS1, I would get my ass kicked by many bosses over and over again. Now? First try. Bosses are going down on one try, or two at most. I've beaten 8 bosses so far. I'm at the point when if I die, it's because I ran into a situation unprepared. I'm playing on a dex (melee only) build using a Sharp Uchigatana which I think is at +6 right now. 30 dex. Am I overpowered for where I am? I do love the game, and do find it challenging in that I need to be on my game so I don't die, but......I don't know.
Nah if you went back to DS1 the early game would be a cakewalk too. You're just good now.
I 1 shot a ton of bosses in DS2 and BB as well.

Don't worry, the later bosses will kick your ass.

I found that the environment was responsible for more deaths in DS2, either rolling off the side during combat or missing a jump. I find the levels in DS3 easier to traverse, outside of the obvious hazards (poison etc).

Once you've beaten a souls game or three, they start to get much easier. The first through DS it took me 72 (cough) hours to beat. I went through it again right before 3 came out and it took me about 25 hours, plus I got a lot more of the secret areas and items the second time through.

If I was to use Chameleon while summoned as a Mound Maker Phantom using a white soapstone, would other players be able to see me. Also, when I tried using Chameleon with a ring/buff active that gives my character those red glow lines, you could see that while I was transformed. Can other players see the glow?

Yeah by and large its not that difficult as long as you dont stupidly spread out your stats all over the place.

Late game when it (rarely) gets difficult it feels cheap difficult (enemies that keep swinging giant weapons as if they have infinite stamina, dont get staggered no matter what, throwing 2-3 hard enemies in close proximity etc). Even with all that, its not particularly difficult. I had a tougher time with Dark Souls 2.

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking forward to a bigger challenge.

One other thing... When I'm in the middle of combo attack, I often get hit from the guy I'm attacking. For example, I get about 6 swings of my Uchi before I lose my stamina. There are times when I'm at swing 3 or 4 and I get crushed. I dont remember that happening as much in the other games. Is it my choice of weapon? Do I need to boost a certain stat?

DPB

I only found a couple of bosses to be a major roadblock with my pyromancer, but I still struggled against many of them, I don't think I got past any on my first try.

Normal enemies are often much faster and more aggressive than anything in the previous two games. As a caster some parts were a real struggle, especially in encounters where you have to constantly roll and wait for a tiny opening to attack. There are generally a lot more enemies everywhere, especially compared to DS1.

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking forward to a bigger challenge.

One other thing... When I'm in the middle of combo attack, I often get hit from the guy I'm attacking. For example, I get about 6 swings of my Uchi before I lose my stamina. There are times when I'm at swing 3 or 4 and I get crushed. I dont remember that happening as much in the other games. Is it my choice of weapon? Do I need to boost a certain stat?

Poise doesn't work in this game so there is no stat you can raise to make this work like other games. You have to play it by using your weapon to stun lock the mobs or if you can't do that you have to poke and retreat. I think there is supposed to be an anti stun lock mechanic where after the third hit of every combo they break stun for free. This might be the problem. The answer to that is to reset your attack chain and hit them with the first attack again.

j-wood

End game spoilers regarding items:

So I got all the dragon statue pieces to turn me into a dragon. Is it actually worth it?

I only have one boss in the game left to beat:

Nameless King

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

I really don't think any of the Souls games are easy. For me the difference with part 3 is that the difficulty curve is much smoother, with the toughest areas and bosses coming later in the game, and of course there are more Bonfires.

Manu

Remember when Salt and Sanctuary got criticized due to its Google Translate-level translation to other languages? Well, Dark Souls 3 does the same. At times.

The Spanish version of the game has some rather blatant stuff, like the "open" prompt on doors translated as "abiertos," which not only refers to something that's already open, but it's also plural.

Dancer of The Boreal Valley was translated as "Bailarín del Valle Boreal," which is male, but then her armor mentions she's a woman when inspected.

But this takes the cake:

When you look at the stats for any bow in the game, under weapon type you'll see it listed as "hacer reverencia," as in, the act of doing a bow.

What the fuck, localization team.

Newboi

I haven't touched DS3 for awhile, but today I continued.

Last time I got stuck against Po
ntiff Sulyvahn
and didn't want to use any more ember against him. So today I battled without and killed him on the second try.

I also killed Al
drich, Devourer of Gods
on the second try. Though that battle was more like a tie as I got killed at the same time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzBw7XbpjYk

Really don't know where to go now.

This is one area where the game could have had clearer direction. Your next stop should be Irythill Dungeon. You basically need to go back to the lower area of the boreal valley (Irythill) where you run across the water. Instead of going into the sewer area, just go straight towards the large opening (man I wish I could describe this better). If you're still confused. You could always use a guide online that will probably have better directions.

bigol

Remember when Salt and Sanctuary got criticized due to its Google Translate-level translation to other languages? Well, Dark Souls 3 does the same. At times.

The Spanish version of the game has some rather blatant stuff, like the "open" prompt on doors translated as "abiertos," which not only refers to something that's already open, but it's also plural.

Dancer of The Boreal Valley was translated as "Bailarín del Valle Boreal," which is male, but then her armor mentions she's a woman when inspected.

But this takes the cake:

When you look at the stats for any bow in the game, under weapon type you'll see it listed as "hacer reverencia," as in, the act of doing a bow.

In Italian translation there is some description text in Spanish.

Poise doesn't work in this game so there is no stat you can raise to make this work like other games. You have to play it by using your weapon to stun lock the mobs or if you can't do that you have to poke and retreat. I think there is supposed to be an anti stun lock mechanic where after the third hit of every combo they break stun for free. This might be the problem. The answer to that is to reset your attack chain and hit them with the first attack again.

Well that solves it. Thanks.

Ferr986

But this takes the cake:

Dancer is translated correctly as Bailarina in my game (spanish PS4 version). Gotta check the bow thingy because it's hilarious if true lol

w0s

So I started NG++ I believe I am SL151. I realize for some purist here they would have stopped leveling but I like being to be able to get over powered and just steam roll the game. What I have noticed though is it is going to be almost impossible to level much further. I really expected the bosses to at least give you enough to level. It seems like damage wise NG++ is a lot closer to how the original game started off. In NG+ I could one shot enemies more but going up to the first boss people take about the same amount 3-4 hits to really die.

Do the bosses start giving out a crap ton more souls or is SL150 pretty much a soft cap for leveling without hours and hours of grinding. I believe I finished the first game at SL100 (without much grinding at all really) and so should I expect to only get to SL175 at the end of this run as I made it about 50 levels last time"?

Griss

Two things really strike me when playing through NG+

1. Just how quickly I'm moving through areas that took me hours to complete the first time through (and how bizarre some of my initial routes were)
2. How incredibly well put together the world is, and how you can recognise each level from vantage points in each level. Once you know what you're looking at it is absolutely stunning to behold.

Also, I never got invaded (by a player, that is) in my first run. This time it's been much more active. In Crucifixion Woods I had two Watchdogs on my ass at all times, lol. It was starting to become an issue. Luckily NG+ is so damn easy (at lvl 90 atm) I wasn't bothered by a couple of PvP deaths.

Incredible game, to be fair. Grinding for covenant items has been my only complaint.

Tingle

Two things really strike me when playing through NG+

1. Just how quickly I'm moving through areas that took me hours to complete the first time through (and how bizarre some of my initial routes were)
2. How incredibly well put together the world is, and how you can recognise each level from vantage points in each level. Once you know what you're looking at it is absolutely stunning to behold.

Also, I never got invaded (by a player, that is) in my first run. This time it's been much more active. In Crucifixion Woods I had two Watchdogs on my ass at all times, lol. It was starting to become an issue. Luckily NG+ is so damn easy (at lvl 90 atm) I wasn't bothered by a couple of PvP deaths.

Incredible game, to be fair. Grinding for covenant items has been my only complaint.

Coming back at the end of the game and staring at the view from Bordt's gate was impressive, I was able to piece out the map from there. Also,
Anor Londo
has a great view from its bridge where you can see almost everything.

J-Rod

Do either of you guys know if there are any invading NPCs in
the run from Pontiff Suliyvahn and Aldrich
? I haven't played embered because of potential invaders completely ruining my game with their hacks. I'm willing to do a run offline if there is an invader.

No invading NPC's in that stretch. Plenty of PC invaders though...

yay i found
Smouldering Lake
on my own.
Old Demon King
was much easier than i first thought.. tried helping others beat him for a dozen times, but every host just dies. many times when the boss only had 0.5% health left, so frustrating. why do people take idiotic risks when the fight is pretty much won already? sigh.

oh and fuck those
crabs
, took me like 45 minutes to pick them off one by one. the last one was ridiculously agressive, not giving me a window to attack at all, so i was just running away from it in circles with no estus left just desperately hoping for it to change attack patterns and just chill the fuck out for half a second lol. sheesh. and there were no other items besides a damn
Chaos Gem
that they were guarding? lame :( had one already anyway.

So I started NG++ I believe I am SL151. I realize for some purist here they would have stopped leveling but I like being to be able to get over powered and just steam roll the game. What I have noticed though is it is going to be almost impossible to level much further. I really expected the bosses to at least give you enough to level. It seems like damage wise NG++ is a lot closer to how the original game started off. In NG+ I could one shot enemies more but going up to the first boss people take about the same amount 3-4 hits to really die.

Do the bosses start giving out a crap ton more souls or is SL150 pretty much a soft cap for leveling without hours and hours of grinding. I believe I finished the first game at SL100 (without much grinding at all really) and so should I expect to only get to SL175 at the end of this run as I made it about 50 levels last time"?
People only stop leveling for PvP - if you're not bothered about going outside the PvP level meta ranges there's no reason to ever stop leveling really, other than personal choice or challenge.

Leveling seems really expensive in DS3. I'd like to see some comparisons to the other games, it's probably a similar incrimental cost to Demon's or Bloodborne, it just seems really expensive. I know DS2 leveling was dirt cheap, obviously inflation was low in Drangleic!

J-Roderton

Anor Londo
is an area in this game? What?! I'm only about an hour into it but that sounds awesome.

Who make the guide worth buying for this game anyway?

ElFly

People only stop leveling for PvP - if you're not bothered about going outside the PvP level meta ranges there's no reason to ever stop leveling really, other than personal choice or challenge.

Leveling seems really expensive in DS3. I'd like to see some comparisons to the other games, it's probably a similar incrimental cost to Demon's or Bloodborne, it just seems really expensive. I know DS2 leveling was dirt cheap, obviously inflation was low in Drangleic!

It costs the same as Demon, Dark 1 or Bloodborne. Illusory wall blog says it may cost +/- 1 soul due to rounding differences, but it seems the formula is the same in all those four games.

Dark 2 made leveling really cheap. Maybe the Emerald Herald was just better at levelling up peeps.

Manu

It costs the same as Demon, Dark 1 or Bloodborne. Illusory wall blog says it may cost +/- 1 soul due to rounding differences, but it seems the formula is the same in all those four games.

Dark 2 made leveling really cheap. Maybe the Emerald Herald was just better at levelling up peeps.

The power of Seek Seek Lest.

I was lvl 200+ when I started NG+ on my last character in DS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom