• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aeana said:
wat

I went down into the Demon Ruins to get the gold-hemmed armor on a friend's suggestion, but not to bother fighting the thing. So I picked up the armor, and ran back to the entrance totally forgetting that it would be closed off, and the boss jumped over to me and died instantly. ?_?

Yup, easiest way to kill him.

Skullkid

WEGGLES said:
Just about fed up with this game.

Blight town. So bad. It's not even a "challenge". I just don't want to do it. I have no idea where to go. I can't see shit. The framerate is awful. Poisoned all the time. The stupid bugs keep fucking up lockon. The stupid dart shooters are annoying too. Everything is annoying. Not difficult. Annoying. Doesn't make me want to get better at it. Makes me not want to play it any more.

I found the shortcut, too, in Valley of the Drakes. No idea where to go from there though.

Once you know the layout it isn't so bad. It's U-shaped with the entrances/exits on top and the boss battle at the bottom. The dart shooters don't respawn after you kill them.

Booshka

corrosivefrost said:
Isn't Ornstein's a rapier/estoc/mail breaker weapon at +10 and his soul? It's what my list has...
those work too, I used a Partizan, but most of those thrust based swords work. I just use a Spear because it is self-explanatory.

Also, don't use the Crystal Ring Shield to block, just switch to it to attack then put it away to block with a better shield

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I reached the Stone Dragon in Ash Lake, and entered the Covenant, but now I discovered that I can cut his tail for the Dragon Great Sword. Is it too late to cut it now? I don't wanna get on the covenant's bad side.

rang the second bell, &, for now anyway, i'm bailing :) ...

loved demon's souls - completed the chinese & n.a. versions, & never got tired of it. dark souls is a great follow up, & i've enjoyed getting as far as i've gotten, but i'm just not feeling the need to keep going that i did with des. & this is not a good game to play if you start losing interest, & focus :) ...

all praise to from (&, naturally, the sun!). pretty sure i'll return at some point...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Aeana said:
wat

I went down into the Demon Ruins to get the gold-hemmed armor on a friend's suggestion, but not to bother fighting the thing. So I picked up the armor, and ran back to the entrance totally forgetting that it would be closed off, and the boss jumped over to me and died instantly. ?_?
!!!

Am I going to miss some drops if I do this? If not I'm totally doing it. I'm so close to him right now!

kyubajin

Pretty intense session today. Here are my impressions and experiences so far as a blind 1st runner, in case anyone cares :p

Bosses have been quite intense so far with only Gaping being the exception. I studied his moves and discovered he’s rather easy to fight.

Somewhat spoilerish:
My firelink bonfire is not available anymore as that damn bastard I freed earlier killed the poor fire keeper. I have this weird item that claims I can invade his world but I’m unable to use it.

Also I didn't know how fire keeper’s souls were used and consume one before realising there was a second and third floor under the bonfire area...

Had to summon blue phatoms for Queelag, she was way too powerful for me :( only time I've used any help.

Made it to Sen's fortress and into the room where you can switch the direction of the boulder on my 1st try! Then died and now it's very hard to do it again...

I've died WAY more times than I did in my 1st Demon's Souls run... Undead Parish and Blighttown ranking most of them.

I still don't know where to get ores other than standard titanite for modifying weapons with electricity, magic, divine, etc. So far I've only been able to make a Raw +2 Halberd which has served me very well so far.

I have the 1.03 patch yet I've experienced imput lag, frame rate drops, etc. It feel a bit less polished than DS.

Now I hate this game. I'm at Capra Demon and I just can't do anything there. I'm at level 21 with a dex build, using Drake Sword and a shield I found in the forest. Whenever I enter he just rushes me and kills me in two strikes. I can't get around him because of the dogs and if I try to dodge around them I get stunlocked.

Am I just way too weak for this or is there a better way for a melee fighter to deal with him? I know the tactics about
using the stairs to confuse him or set him up for a dropping attack
but I've only even got up there once.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
x3r0123 said:
what is the question?
Jinfash said:
I reached the Stone Dragon in Ash Lake, and entered the Covenant, but now I discovered that I can cut his tail for the Dragon Great Sword. Is it too late to cut it now? I don't wanna get on the covenant's bad side.
?

x3r0123

Urban Scholar said:
Where's the serpent ring in Sen's Fortress? I think it's the only thing I'm missing.

on the second part where the stone ball comes rolling. Near the area were you find the lightning spear

dock

In order to copy Dark Souls or Demon's Souls saves, you have to do a full system transfer, or pay for Playstation Plus! WTF o_o;

Copy protection on save files is such bullshit. :<

I've managed to revive my PS3 with a hairdryer, but my new PS3 doesn't arrive for a couple of weeks. We're loathed to get a second PS+ subscription, so the only option for transfer of my housemate's save files is to hope my PS3 still works and can cope with a transfer.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
x3r0123 said:
you cant kill it and will not affect anything if you hit him
Thanks for all the help <3

It feels wrong to cut it after praying to him. Maybe I should offer him a Scale as a compensation.

vilmer_

dock said:
In order to copy Dark Souls or Demon's Souls saves, you have to do a full system transfer, or pay for Playstation Plus! WTF o_o;

Copy protection on save files is such bullshit. :<

I've managed to revive my PS3 with a hairdryer, but my new PS3 doesn't arrive for a couple of weeks. We're loathed to get a second PS+ subscription, so the only option for transfer of my housemate's save files is to hope my PS3 still works and can cope with a transfer.

It won't let you copy to a usb stick? That's what I was thinking of doing because I'm getting paranoid with my save files.

glaurung

Finally reached Blighttown now and to be honest - I wish I hadn't. The trouble is that now that I'm in there, my humanity resources are decreasing all the time, and getting back out is another nightmare. Soul level 31 I think.

Managed to reach that bitch Quelaag once and we could not take her down, not even with two phantoms. No Mildred either. I left over 23k of souls and fourth humanity at her lair ):

mollipen

SiegfriedFM said:
Now I hate this game. I'm at Capra Demon and I just can't do anything there. I'm at level 21 with a dex build, using Drake Sword and a shield I found in the forest. Whenever I enter he just rushes me and kills me in two strikes. I can't get around him because of the dogs and if I try to dodge around them I get stunlocked.

Am I just way too weak for this or is there a better way for a melee fighter to deal with him? I know the tactics about
using the stairs to confuse him or set him up for a dropping attack
but I've only even got up there once.

The problem with Capra is that he's an expect at building up frustration in you, which makes you then play worse the next time. Relax, boot the game up and try him again, don't let yourself get frustrated. One thing I ended up trying was RIGHT after I entered the room, throwing a fire bomb. That'll sometimes take the dogs out, and you can then run to the stairs to start the circle game.

He's tough because of the close quarters. Just don't let him get to you, otherwise you'll just beat yourself due to frustration.

glaurung said:
Finally reached Blighttown now and to be honest - I wish I hadn't. The trouble is that now that I'm in there, my humanity resources are decreasing all the time, and getting back out is another nightmare. Soul level 31 I think.

Managed to reach that bitch Quelaag once and we could not take her down, not even with two phantoms. No Mildred either. I left over 23k of souls and fourth humanity at her lair ):

Let Mildred tank and stay behind her. She is pretty easy compared to other bosses.

BeeDog

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Managed to kill the Anor Londo boss without the help of Solaire (didn't want to use up more humanity). The solution was to go all-out with the melee and block his attacks while avoiding the butt stomp. Goddamn my heart was racing during the last few seconds.

Dresden

Quelaag is pretty easy, look up some videos if you really need help.

I think Mildred makes it harder because it makes the boss routine a bit more difficult to deal with by introducing another variable that's not going to help much anyways.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wow, Anor Londo is really beautiful. And I'm amazed how I can spawn in Sen's Fortress, run to the top to go to Anor Londo, press Start to skip the cutscene and I'm instantly there - big, complex world switching to another big, complex world almost immediately.

Praise the Sun! My copy arrived in the mail just now. Installing as I speak.

Funny how a month ago, I had no interest in this game. Then all the hype made finally play Demon's Souls which was sitting in my backlog of games for over a year.
The game was pretty damn good & after that Dark Souls became my most anticipated game of the year!

dock

vilmer_ said:
It won't let you copy to a usb stick? That's what I was thinking of doing because I'm getting paranoid with my save files.

No, you can't copy it to USB stick or SD-card.
Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are both copy protected.

leehom

Damnit, accidently killed Quelana of Izalith. I some how aggro'd her while I was fighting a spider and 4 of those mosquitos. I killed her w/o knowing she was the merchant i was looking for the whole time =/

vilmer_

dock said:
No, you can't copy it to USB stick or SD-card.
Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are both copy protected.

Oh man :/ I do remember reading something about Demon's Souls saves being protected now that you mention it. It looks like copying data from one PS3 to another is not possible either then.

Quickly

-PENDANT

-OLD WITCH'S RING

What do these gifts do & are they story related in anyway?

Also is there any bonus for no selecting a Gift at the start? I remember people talking about this when the game came out.

goodfella

Hi! Just wondering what the general GAF consensus of this game is verses demons souls.

My line of thinking is that if it is equal to or superior in quality to demon's souls then I will buy for NG+. If is below demons souls then I will rent.

Does this game have as much replayability game Demons?

purg3

slept with Malkin
HOLY SHIT

So made it through Anor Londo, with relative ease, only died once...And then I enter the fog gate to fight the two asshats. Attempt number 1, I didn't get a single hit in. Got rushed by Ornstein, and somehow got stunned and the just got destroyed in like 10 seconds. I just sat there and stared at my tv screen for a few minutes, so I needed to regroup.

OK, so attempt number 2 I immeadiately run in and target Ornstein and begin throwing greater fireballs at him, he goes down before Smough even gets to me. Out of fireballs, I switch to greater combustion and take most of his life off before he can even swing at me. Once he got down to about a 1/4 health I start to get cocky and rush him to finish him off with regular combustion. Mistake, started getting wailed on, and had to retreat. Up to this point I didn't even need an estus, now I'm going through them like crazy. Now low on estus, I finally bait his lighting butt stomp and run in to finish him off.

Goddamn, that was one of the best feelings from a game ever. I was so nervous I would be stuck on those dudes forever after all the horror stories, but in the end, I never even needed to swing my sword. My hands are still shaking, feels good man.

GeekyDad

WEGGLES said:
Just about fed up with this game.

Blight town. So bad. It's not even a "challenge". I just don't want to do it. I have no idea where to go. I can't see shit. The framerate is awful. Poisoned all the time. The stupid bugs keep fucking up lockon. The stupid dart shooters are annoying too. Everything is annoying. Not difficult. Annoying. Doesn't make me want to get better at it. Makes me not want to play it any more.

I found the shortcut, too, in Valley of the Drakes. No idea where to go from there though.

Yeah, Blighttown is basically 5-1 and 5-2 from Demon's Souls put together. Can't say I'm annoyed by the area, though, and of course, I enjoyed world 5 in Demon's Souls. The frame rate is pretty awful once you start making your way down to the swamp, but it's manageable.

I disagree with you, though. I think it is a challenge, but obviously not a challenge you're in the right mindset for. That's understandable. The game can wear you down.

Take a break...

As an aside, and nothing to do with your reply, I just lost 45k souls there, which I can no longer get back. This is my first playthrough, and it's been very hard to accumulate that high number of souls, but that's what I get for playing while mad. The game didn't piss me off, but I made the mistake of picking up the controller while in a foul mood.

And...I'm now taking a break. ;)

Dresden

goodfella said:
Hi! Just wondering what the general GAF consensus of this game is verses demons souls.

My line of thinking is that if it is equal to or superior in quality to demon's souls then I will buy for NG+. If is below demons souls then I will rent.

Does this game have as much replayability game Demons?
I think at this point Demon's was a more consistent game but you should buy it anyways.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Quickly

-PENDANT

-OLD WITCH'S RING

Also is there any bonus for no selecting a Gift at the start? I remember people talking about this when the game came out.

From what Ive read..Pendant=Story object for an ending etc..

My reroll I took the Master Key...and..wow..kicks the game into Easy mode early on by being able to kill Havel and to make ninja runs into hard territory and snatch items before you get killed :)

Ken

Quickly

-PENDANT

-OLD WITCH'S RING

I recall people saying that the pendant will cause the Serpent Kaathe to add additional dialogue about the pygmy.

What do invaders lose if they get vanquished in another player's world?

glaurung

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
Let Mildred tank and stay behind her. She is pretty easy compared to other bosses.
Dresden said:
Quelaag is pretty easy, look up some videos if you really need help.

I think Mildred makes it harder because it makes the boss routine a bit more difficult to deal with by introducing another variable that's not going to help much anyways.
Yes, I know, I've done my homework on her. It's more that I have blasted through from Capra Demon to Gaping Vagina and everything else that is in between in just one sitting and when reaching Blighttown, I was exhausted already.

I got invaded three times today, once in Darkroot Basin, where some ass Fog Ringed me and there was little I could do. Then another one (quite probably massively overleveled) in the Sewers, one-shotted me with some kind of a fire spell that I have not seen before. And then a third one, but I firebombed the living bejesus out of him. My first invader kill too (goes to show that Covenant of the White is not impervious to invasions).

Then I finally had the luck to summon a nice helpful guy (He-Who-Wins or something like that) and we ran through the entirety of Blighttown. Before Quelaag I summoned another player. I believe Mildred's sign wasn't there because my good phantom friend landed the killing blow on him, not me. Quelaag one-shotted my trusty phantom, then AoE'd the fuck out of me. I was just so tired when I reached her, from rolling in the swamp and eating handfuls of antidote moss. Plus those god-awful boulder throwing trolls. Neither of us tried to even get close to them.

Of course Blighttown's stupid architecture isn't helping. It's a god damn maze.

darkwing

leehom said:
Damnit, accidently killed Quelana of Izalith. I some how aggro'd her while I was fighting a spider and 4 of those mosquitos. I killed her w/o knowing she was the merchant i was looking for the whole time =/
this game can be brutal

Dresden

I think I'll make a pure archer.

Actually I've never even touched crossbows before, I think I'll use that - perhaps dual wield them, lolz. Might be fun.
Quickly

-PENDANT

-OLD WITCH'S RING

Pendant:
You can trade it for a Souvenir of Reprisal later.

Ring:
You'll need it to speak to a certain NPC later on in a game. Gives some insight into that area's characters.

Dresden

demosthenes said:
S&O don't have anyone to summon for hte fight?
Look on the platform next to that silver archer in the room with the stone guards, there should be a summon for
Solaire

Mindlog

I set aside plenty of play-time this weekend to get through Blight Town. The Gaping fight was easy, but I had just finished the Asylum revisit and that fight was a bit of a pain. It took me several deaths to realize I should just charge him and sort of clip through his body/legs to get behind him.

Anyways, I inch my way in from The Depths terrified of what's before me. My Elite Knight armored RAW Halberd Pyromancer is all stocked up and ready to go. I accidentally have Iron Ring, Spider Shield and enough poison purging potion to stock an army. I inch my way forward pulling enemies while continuously terrified of what is to come.

A couple of minutes later my Ninja Clad RAW Halbred/Sorcerer's Catalyst wielding Pyro is ringing bells. That was several orders of magnitude easier than I had anticipated. I called it a day before deciding whether I was going to join the pro-pyromancy covenant.

Fun game.

At the last boss now, loved the game at first but now I must say that I have stopped enjoying it. Demons Souls felt hard but fair, this just feels ridiculously hard at times.

shahkur

So, I just beat Quelaag, and OMG the bitch took me 2 HOURS! 2 FUCKING HOURS to beat!!! I had 5 flasks, and an axe that took 140 damage, since my 180 sword broke. I've never used humanity, as I dont know how it works and can't really be bothered. No rekindling. Nothing. Just 1 on 1. Phew.

I'm at demon ruins right now and got some armour near a lava monster which one-hit me. Do I even have to fight him at level 34? Now, where do I go next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom