• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost23

I just finished Blighttown (wasn't as bad as I anticipated). I beat it with a spear +5. Should I have a better weapon by now? I am a sorcerer and I have a lot of different kinds of shards but I'm somewhat confused on what to do with them.

Sullichin

JVIDICAN said:
From my experience she always moves to the left right after going invisible. maybe try spamming it there? Did you open the shortcut in the level? that'd definitely make dieing less frustrating. :p

Yeah I at least have the shortcut. I'll try going right to the left, thanks.

Roche

I think I'm currently trapped in Blight town, my Drake Sword broke and my current weapons really suck. I can't really beat the boss and I'm having trouble getting out without getting owned. Oh well I guess I've got to keep trying.

Ken

HaRyu said:
I'm confused, what is it about Andor Londo's archers that's so annoying? I've beaten the area days ago, and the only annoying thing about the area were the silver knights who didnt shoot arrows, not the archers.

Maybe my SL was too high? I was somewhere around SL 60 when I got there.

Getting hit by one dragon-slayer arrow even while blocking can knock you off the very narrow ledge or the buttress you're on, especially if you have low stamina or a small shield. Basically, their arrows have a huge knock-back if you aren't built for blocking.

Good god. I can't quit this game. I just can't... How do I grind 76000 souls? Should I get the 20000 souls thing for the door in the forest? And where do I grind 20000 souls most efficiently?

elty

So I am finally at Sen's Castle. The lightening blasting mage is not that bad
a few arrows is enough to knock him off the beam, even it does like 8 damage
, but I am having trouble at the mimic. I do like 40 damage with a +10 wing spear, and the room is small so eventually I got trap and eaten alive. Urgghhhh

Roche178 said:
I think I'm currently trapped in Blight town, my Drake Sword broke and my current weapons really suck. I can't really beat the boss and I'm having trouble getting out without getting owned. Oh well I guess I've got to keep trying.

I was were you are... A great tip I got was to go up the wheel and take the road back to Firelink Shrine through New Londo.

Sullichin

Roche178 said:

Did you go up the waterwheel from the second bonfire? You can get back to Firelink from there and there's not that many enemies you can't just run past.

Sullichin

elty said:
So I am finally at Sen's Castle. The lightening blasting mage is not that bad
a few arrows is enough to knock him off the beam, even it does like 8 damage
, but I am having trouble at the mimic. I do like 40 damage with a +10 wing spear, and the room is small so eventually I got trap and eaten alive. Urgghhhh

When I beat that motherfucker, I died instantly after before I could pick up the awesome weapon he drops. FUCK.

Oops, double post. Just kinda assumed someone is posting in this thread at any given moment

Sniper McBlaze said:
I was were you are... A great tip I got was to go up the wheel and take the road back to Firelink Shrine through New Londo.

Oh, wait... Isn't it the blacksmith that I aggroed that sells the key to the door? I guess I really am fucked. :/

What new class do you recommend? I was thinking of making a thief. Looks cool and the fighting is a bit faster compared to my warrior.

Sullichin said:
Holy fucking shit I hate Priscilla the Crossbreed.

I cannot fucking beat this bitch. Any tips other than "look at her footprints" which i'm obviously doing. I still usually die before she becomes visible. SO ANNOYING. Is there any way I can still skip this fight once I've already made her aggro?

So if you have no fire you are in the same spot as me, and this fight is a bitch. It will be entirely decided on living long enough to do enough damage to her to make her reappear. If you can do that, she is super-easy. If you can't, you are toast.

You just have to guess, keep your shield block up, and hit back as soon as you block a hit (which is HARD!).

If you can get her injured, she becomes visible again. If you do nothing (even taking so long as to drink from your flask) she will go invisible once more.

However, what you want to do at that point is get BEHIND her, 2H your weapon, and just keep hitting her. She won't flip around to face you, so you are safe from damage for the rest of the fight as long as you keep behind her. Keep hitting her and she won't turn invisible again.

EDIT - One more tip, which I couldn't verify at the time for being out of arrows, however I have read that if you are very quick and open the fight with an arrow, it will stick in her and still be visible.

EDIT - Sorry to answer your original question, no you have only one shot to walk away, when you first meet her. If you start the fight, you're going to have to finish it now.

If you opened the shortcut in the courtyard (the double doors leading out) you can sprint past all of the enemies and to the bridge when you die. However, you must clear the bridge of at least the archers, if not all of the hollowed (very annoying). You can skip the knight to if you want, but at that point you may as well just kill him anyways and get some stuff.

Sniper McBlaze said:
Oh, wait... Isn't it the blacksmith that I aggroed that sells the key to the door? I guess I really am fucked. :/

What new class do you recommend? I was thinking of making a thief. Looks cool and the fighting is a bit faster compared to my warrior.

So wait...what happens if you attack Andre the blacksmith? If you can't go through the door, you
can't get the wolf's ring, fight the four kings, place their souls on the altar, etc
. Unless he drops the crest.

dyergram

Sniper McBlaze said:

Fear not the key is at the top level above the water wheel.

JVIDICAN

Kyleripman said:
So wait...what happens if you attack Andre the blacksmith? If you can't go through the door, you
can't get the wolf's ring, fight the four kings, place their souls on the altar, etc
You can get there through Darkroot Basin.

Kyleripman said:
you can get to the wolf without the door by another way

Kyleripman said:

He does drop the crest, I'm quite certain that is what was done in the speedrun video.

Roche

Sniper McBlaze said:

Yeah I saw that New Londo area I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip I've been in the god forsaken swamp for what feels like hours now.

I just can't quit you Dark Souls...

Septimius

Ok guys, now I'm really scared.

So yesterday, the PS froze. I restarted it and it rebuilt its database. Scared me when it said it was doing it, but everything was fine. Today it decides to freeze again while loading Dark Souls. And then later again. Then it froze 5 times in a row, trying to start the game.

It always worked when it first loaded, but I did start getting worried. Just before it froze as I was loading a new area, but now it froze mid-PvP fight. I'm pretty scared, right now. I'm thinking dying HDD? What should I do? :(

What kind of HDDs go into the PS3? (fat) - Would I be able to stuff a new HDD in there and somehow preserve my saves?

I'm so scared :(

PS: When it froze upon loading the game, it was cold. No chance of overheating with those.

Septimius said:

So yesterday, the PS froze. I restarted it and it rebuilt its database. Scared me when it said it was doing it, but everything was fine. Today it decides to freeze again while loading Dark Souls. And then later again. Then it froze 5 times in a row, trying to start the game.

It always worked when it first loaded, but I did start getting worried. Just before it froze as I was loading a new area, but now it froze mid-PvP fight. I'm pretty scared, right now. I'm thinking dying HDD? What should I do? :(

What kind of HDDs go into the PS3? (fat) - Would I be able to stuff a new HDD in there and somehow preserve my saves?

PS: When it froze upon loading the game, it was cold. No chance of overheating with those.

Try using a air compressor to blow out the dust from inside your PS3. It might be clogging the fans?

Septimius

See You Next Wednesday said:
Try using a air compressor to blow out the dust from inside your PS3. It might be clogging the fans?
Why would it freeze when booting for the first time for the day, though?

Septimius said:

This is exactly why it's incredibly frustrating that these save files can't be copied. I hope it works out!

A few questions, at teh start of the game there is a well with a sign saying treasure inside.
I saw a bloodstain with the player running & jumping into the well to die.

Was that just a troll?

Also how do I rate messages? In Demon's Souls, it was pressing the select button, but now that just brings up a bunch of posing gestures.

Lastly, what does the numbers in parenthesis besides numbers mean?

For example, my physical defense is 75(25).
What does the 25 mean?

Kurod

Banned
A few questions, at teh start of the game there is a well with a sign saying treasure inside.

Was that just a troll?

Also how do I rate messages? In Demon's Souls, it was pressing the select button, but now that just brings up a bunch of posing gestures.

What does the 25 mean?

To rate a message you have to stand close enough to read it and activate your own orange soapstone.

I think the number in parenthesis is your base defense without any items equipped.

Septimius said:
Why would it freeze when booting for the first time for the day, though?

Check to see if there is any sound from the fans. If they are busted & that may be causing the system to overheat & freeze. Well at least that's somewhat similar to the 360's RROD problem, the system getting too hot & crapping out even withing minutes of startup.

patsu

SiegfriedFM said:
Now I hate this game. I'm at Capra Demon and I just can't do anything there. I'm at level 21 with a dex build, using Drake Sword and a shield I found in the forest. Whenever I enter he just rushes me and kills me in two strikes. I can't get around him because of the dogs and if I try to dodge around them I get stunlocked.

Am I just way too weak for this or is there a better way for a melee fighter to deal with him? I know the tactics about
using the stairs to confuse him or set him up for a dropping attack
but I've only even got up there once.

Get the Elite Knight armor from the forest.

Defuser

FUCK YOU BED OF CHAOS! You don't deserve the title of Dragon God 2.0 unlike Dragon God,you a cheap fuck. I'm sick and tired of running through all the way to your stage and dying over 20 times just to destroy your orbs,the middle route and your pathetic little self but I did it and I hate Lost Izalith,that stage must have burn my eyes with it's horrendous orange brightness.

And managed to take down Sealth the scaleless which I admit,the duke archives looks great with the overflowing books.

Now left New Londo ruins which I'm gonna hate.

Ghost23

When I got back from the Firelink Shrine, there was armor next to lady that upgrades your estus flasks. It says she's dead and gave me her armor and an orb that says can be used to invade the person who killed your Fire Keeper. Now I can't use that bonfire. What the heck happened and how can I fix it?

patsu said:
Get the Elite Knight armor from the forest.

yeah, that's the last thing you want to do.

At that level he's going to two shot you, no matter what armor you have on. Elite knight isn't going to do much more than slow him down. you want to go light so you can run past him, and roll under his attack to get to the stairs.

If you can pump your shield's stability (I don't know what you found in the forest) and it has 100% to physical, that will help.

For Capra, get a weapon that can one shot the dogs, like the drake sword. run/roll under his attack and make for the stairs ASAP. kill the dogs once you're up there, and get into a pattern of luring him to the top, dropping down, having him follow you, and racing back up there for the plunge attack.

x3r0123

Defuser said:
FUCK YOU BED OF CHAOS! You don't deserve the title of Dragon God 2.0 unlike Dragon God,you a cheap fuck. I'm sick and tired of running through all the way to your stage and dying over 20 times just to destroy your orbs,the middle route and your pathetic little self but I did it and I hate Lost Izalith,that stage must have burn my eyes with it's horrendous orange brightness.

And managed to take down Sealth the scaleless which I admit,the duke archives looks great with the overflowing books.

Now left New Londo ruins which I'm gonna hate.

ceaseless discharge is the dragon god there

FuzzyNorman said:
When I got back from the Firelink Shrine, there was armor next to lady that upgrades your estus flasks. It says she's dead and gave me her armor and an orb that says can be used to invade the person who killed your Fire Keeper. Now I can't use that bonfire. What the heck happened and how can I fix it?

its over, you screwed up :p

Ken

FuzzyNorman said:

A knight named Lautrec (that you might have freed) came and killed her. The bonfire at Firelink Shrine requires a Firekeeper to keep the bonfire lit. Since she's dead, the bonfire is unlit. You have to continue on and eventually (in Anor Londo) you'll get a message that the orb you picked up is shaking or something. You can activate it then and invade Lautrec's world; killing him gets you back the lady's Firekeeper soul. Take it back to her to bring her back and restore the bonfire.

Does anyone know if you can summon a co-op partner into your game before getting the soapstone? I have a friend that just started and is in the undead burg and i'd like to show him the ropes.

purg3

slept with Malkin
FuzzyNorman said:

you get a chance later in the game to fix it. Dude that was locked in a cell in the Undead Parish kills her if you don't kill him.

Was that just a troll?

yes.

buy an orange soapstone from the blighttown vendor for 100 souls. its unlimited use. REALLY should have been default equipment, honestly.

What does the 25 mean?

no idea

Ken

famousmortimer said:
Does anyone know if you can summon a co-op partner into your game before getting the soapstone? I have a friend that just started and is in the undead berg and i'd like to show him the ropes.

Don't think so?

Septimius

FuzzyNorman said:

Knight Lautrec of Carim (the guy in the golden armor)
killed her. You have to go to Anor Londo, where the orb will vibrate (You can't miss it, really), then you can invade him and reclaim the soul of that fire-keeper. Be sure to not use it to upgrade your flask, as you can't rekindle the Firelink bonfire for the rest of that game if you do.

Septimius

famousmortimer said:
Does anyone know if you can summon a co-op partner into your game before getting the soapstone? I have a friend that just started and is in the undead burg and i'd like to show him the ropes.

1) Remember that you can't join his game if you're too high level.

2) Remember that it is very, very hard to find someone you know and join their world in this game.

Ghost23

Ken said:
A knight named Lautrec (that you might have freed) came and killed her. The bonfire at Firelink Shrine requires a Firekeeper to keep the bonfire lit. Since she's dead, the bonfire is unlit. You have to continue on and eventually (in Anor Londo) you'll get a message that the orb you picked up is shaking or something. You can activate it then and invade Lautrec's world; killing him gets you back the lady's Firekeeper soul. Take it back to her to bring her back and restore the bonfire.

Ok so it's just part of the game. That's good to know. I was freaking out

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Ken said:
Getting hit by one dragon-slayer arrow even while blocking can knock you off the very narrow ledge or the buttress you're on, especially if you have low stamina or a small shield. Basically, their arrows have a huge knock-back if you aren't built for blocking.

Ahhhh, okay.

I kinda just ran and rolled when crossing. Did it on the first try too, maybe I was just lucky.

Septimius said:
Knight Lautrec of Carim (the guy in the golden armor)
killed her. You have to go to Anor Londo, where the orb will vibrate (You can't miss it, really), then you can invade him and reclaim the soul of that fire-keeper. Be sure to not use it to upgrade your flask, as you can't rekindle the Firelink bonfire for the rest of that game if you do.
any reason to keep him alive before he kills her? I'll just kill him now.

Septimius

Quote said:
any reason to keep him alive before he kills her? I'll just kill him now.

You get 5 humanity and a ring by killing him at that point. You get his entire set of armor, plus that, by killing him later.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
FuzzyNorman said:

Triggering that event instead of killing Lautrec immediately gets you a special quasi-boss fight and a spiffy suit of armor. It's a bit of a pain having the Firelink bonfire out of commission for a while, but in the long run you done good.

Ken

FuzzyNorman said:

Yeah. Bonfires linked with Firekeepers are also present in other areas too; only difference is that if you kill the Firekeeper for another bonfire you'll permanently turn off that bonfire, unlike the scripted event in Firelink which gives you a chance to light it again.

Septimius said:
You get 5 humanity and a ring by killing him at that point. You get his entire set of armor, plus that, by killing him later.

oh crap I forgot all about that. where is the armor? it's floating around anor londo somewhere, right

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Manmademan said:
oh crap I forgot all about that. where is the armor? it's floating around anor londo somewhere, right

On the upper balcony of the room where you fought Ornstein and Smough, on the wall opposite the one with the door to Gwynevere's room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom