• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimius

FINALBOSS said:
You talking about that slow AOE? Yeah, that shit is annoying. I've noticed I've mostly been invaded by japanese players. Japanese PSN players almost always have a "-" dash in their name.

Tons of them used that slow spell and some short looking crystal dagger that backstabbed me for over 1k. I couldn't believe it.

No. I'm talking about cheating. Bugging the slow AoE to not slow you, but damage you when you're in range.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Man. Anor Londo is gorgeous!

I say as I'm getting suddenly being pelted by arrows and now I'm dead because I typed this.

Fuck.

Whoa, holy shit at the NG+ multiplier for farmville forest. Combined with my 40+ INT and crystal homing soul mass... I don't even have to use the trick... I wipe them out in less than 2 minutes and get over 25k a run. :lol

Not exactly great for leveling, but damn good for stockpiling extra spells...
Now if only I hadn't fucked up and told Laurentis about Quelana (since I had the +5 ascended flame on me from my original run)... I wonder if he disappears immediately -- I got a new flame to +9, but want to get it to 15 and ascend for a red titanite slab.

Sif is dead, Moonlight butterfly is dead... next up, I think, is Sen's fortress so I can go to anor londo and get the lordvessel.

Nobody can hold a candle to crystal homing soul mass. Sif was kicking my ass with that double spin attack -- I'm so used to blocking it that the fact that it would cut through my full stamina and do enough damage to OHKO me, that I had to change strategy -- iron flesh + crystal homing soul mass. Wave bye bye to Sif, everybody. :)

I can't wait to unlock crystal soul spear, as my regular soul spear does about 500+ a pop.

Aeana

wat

I went down into the Demon Ruins to get the gold-hemmed armor on a friend's suggestion, but not to bother fighting the thing. So I picked up the armor, and ran back to the entrance totally forgetting that it would be closed off, and the boss jumped over to me and died instantly. ?_?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So I passed by the dragon. SUCCESS! Read a message of a close bonfire... Jump down the stairs and never dropped the other stairs to use them as a shortcut. FML.

sleepykyo

RedSwirl said:
Took me way too long to beat the Taurus Demon.

Yes it is. Well switching lock-on is anyway. For some reason I feel like the controls are a lot less reliable than in Demon's Souls. I'm playing on 360 though so maybe the controls are respond better on PS3?
I have the same feeling on the ps3. The controls are definitely off.

Kyoufu

Insaniac said:
I love it when PVPers use that slow move. Its like, sure go ahead and make us both slow, but you won't be able to dodge my OHKO homing crystal soul mass

That doesn't make the caster slow too...

They'll eat your face once you're slowed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn bloody bollocks.

Got to near the top of Sen's Fortress with no flasks and about half an inch of health. Desparately ran for where I thought the bonfire would be, and dropped down to it, only to find the tiny little fall killed me :(

Is there another bonfire before I get up there?

Insaniac

Kyoufu said:
That doesn't make the caster slow too...

They'll eat your face once you're slowed.

hm one time i fought a guy who used it and he was slowed...

never used it myself so i can't say but that seems OP then

I think my inability to warp is preventing me from switching to forest covenant -- I know since Sif is toast, Shiva will be down in blighttown; I want to buy him out of the unique weapons I missed last time... however, I don't really feel like climbing down there, I'd rather warp to the closest point and run over (same goes for upgrading pyro flame)... ugh, I guess I really do have to do Sen's fortress, unless I want to take on the catacombs first and kill pinwheel for the rite to kindling...

What's the best way to take on the army of wheel skeletons down in that pit before pinwheel? I know the first time I go through that area, I'll probably drop down to unlock the blacksmith even though I don't really need him... which means I'll need to deal with Sen's fortress next. Ugh.

RyanDG

corrosivefrost said:
What's the best way to take on the army of wheel skeletons down in that pit before pinwheel? I know the first time I go through that area, I'll probably drop down to unlock the blacksmith even though I don't really need him... which means I'll need to deal with Sen's fortress next. Ugh.

The only real solution for the wheel skeletons for me has just been patience and flame weapons. Making sure you only pull 1 or 2 at a time is the only real recipe for success.

sixghost

corrosivefrost said:
I think my inability to warp is preventing me from switching to forest covenant -- I know since Sif is toast, Shiva will be down in blighttown; I want to buy him out of the unique weapons I missed last time... however, I don't really feel like climbing down there, I'd rather warp to the closest point and run over (same goes for upgrading pyro flame)... ugh, I guess I really do have to do Sen's fortress, unless I want to take on the catacombs first and kill pinwheel for the rite to kindling...

You can actually get to Blighttown very very quickly from Firelink. Take the lift down to New Londo, then exit New Londo via the Drake's exit, then walk across the little bridge and your there. Takes maybe 2-3 minutes to get down to the swamp.

TheMan

Seriously considering selling this for Forza 4. I was so excited for this game, thinking I could deal with the difficulty. Problem is, I have limited time and Dark Souls isn't very amenable to 30 min play spurts. A shame, probably would have been close to beating this by now if I was still in college or high school.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
FINALBOSS said:
Yup, that's what I did.

Kept rolling into him to stay as close as possible. He's such a huge mass that if you're literally inside of him, he's the only one those things will target. Took me a couple tries.

Didn't Nito's "scream" move with those pillars hit you?
Lol, it worked. This game should be called Souls on a Roll.

FINALBOSS

Banned
On my new guy, instead of a spear (like I used on my caster) I upgraded to get the Furysword...I fucking love it. First, it looks cool. Secondly you have the cool moves of the other curved swords where instead of the kick move, you do some cool spin thin. And lastly, it scales with humanity AND glows with fire when you swing.

Y2Kev said:
Lol, it worked. This game should be called Souls on a Roll.

Haha, hell yeah dude. Wait till you get Crystal Soulmass.

Americanmushroom said:
Is there a way to still get the soul of smough somehow after beating the couple? I received the soul of ornstein but need the other to boost my weapon..

Otherwise: from what weapon can i use the soul of ornstein?

No dice man. Whichever you kill last is the soul you get.

Ornstein's is for some spear that isn't very good.

Is there a way to still get the soul of smough somehow after beating the couple? I received the soul of ornstein but need the other to boost my weapon..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I was sitting at firelink's bonfire and i saw someone warp in near the fire doing the infinite soul exploit

lol

Booshka

Americanmushroom said:

+10 a Spear to make his Boss Soul weapon.

BeeDog

KAOz said:
Take a good extra shield with you, specially if you have good endurance. I would suggest Eagle +10 or higher (preferably 15). Then just block his running, he can't do shit, he'll run into you like you're a wall.
Then when he let's go, strafe around him, Crystal Shield his ass. Repeat. If he does the jump, move away backwards, and be ready to Crystal Shield him again since he has a slight downtime when rising up.

I only have an Eagle +5 now; can you remind me exactly how to go +15 with it? Forgot what blacksmith and what Ember I need.

KAOz

Short bus special
Huh.... took me less than an hour to farm 9 Souvenirs from the Harpies. I expected to be stuck there for several hours.

Damn.

Also, in the hunt for the White Titanite Slab, I accidently stumbled into Nito's lair on NG+. Beat the fucker up like the little bitch he was on the first go, then went back to Firelink, and back, to grab the slab so I could finish the next to last weapon reinforcement.

Feels kind of weird knowing that a Platinum is only 3 easy trophies away. Took me ages to get one in Demon's.

BeeDog said:
I only have an Eagle +5 now; can you remind me exactly how to go +15 with it? Forgot what blacksmith and what Ember I need.

You need Large (found in The Depths) and Very Large (found in a horrible place in Tomb of Giants, filled with 5 or 6 giant skeletons), then you give them to Andre, and he'll set you up. Bring loads of Titanite shards, 9 large shards, and as many chunks as you can. You'll get it up nicely. Might not need a 15 right this minute, but on it's way to 10 or slightly higher and you're set.

The invaders in the Duke's Archives are the worst. I tried about three times to get seath with a buddy and I kept getting invaded. The guy practically kept running towards enemies to get them to kill me. Wouldn't fight me on his own, backstabbed me when I'm focusing on the other silly enemies. Too bad I don't have anything to invade people with because I would so do it out of spite.

Roklie

So I've upgraded my Halberd to +10 with large titenite shards and was wondering where I should go with it from now on? I have my dexterity 12 and strength 12, does it scale with both, if so then should I start leveling up either one? I'm not familiar with the upgrading scheme yet, is this called a raw weapon now or is it still "normal"? I'd appreciate any help!

BeeDog

KAOz said:
Huh.... took me less than an hour to farm 9 Souvenirs from the Harpies. I expected to be stuck there for several hours.

Damn.

Also, in the hunt for the White Titanite Slab, I accidently stumbled into Nito's lair on NG+. Beat the fucker up like the little bitch he was on the first go, then went back to Firelink, and back, to grab the slab so I could finish the next to last weapon reinforcement.

Feels kind of weird knowing that a Platinum is only 3 easy trophies away. Took me ages to get one in Demon's.

You need Large (found in The Depths) and Very Large (found in a horrible place in Tomb of Giants, filled with 5 or 6 giant skeletons), then you give them to Andre, and he'll set you up. Bring loads of Titanite shards, 9 large shards, and as many chunks as you can. You'll get it up nicely. Might not need a 15 right this minute, but on it's way to 10 or slightly higher and you're set.

Thanks for the answer, but figured I'd look it up in the Wiki (I don't do it often enough), and it's apparently in New Londo Ruins.

Anyone know if the Demon Machette is any good?

I always hear the SHotel is nice cause the R2 attack in unblockable? Thinking about pimping mine out.

Im at the point where I cant go much farther with my Drake. Got a ton of boss drop weapons and a ton of basic weapons.

thanks for answering. Ok so i have all these souls: wich would be better to make as ultimate weapon? :

- Moonlight butterfly
- Quelaag
- Iron golem
- ornstein
- Sif
- Priscilla

Wich is the coolest to make? By cool i mean awesome looking stuff lol

WEGGLES

Just about fed up with this game.

Blight town. So bad. It's not even a "challenge". I just don't want to do it. I have no idea where to go. I can't see shit. The framerate is awful. Poisoned all the time. The stupid bugs keep fucking up lockon. The stupid dart shooters are annoying too. Everything is annoying. Not difficult. Annoying. Doesn't make me want to get better at it. Makes me not want to play it any more.

I found the shortcut, too, in Valley of the Drakes. No idea where to go from there though.

Aeana

WEGGLES said:
Just about fed up with this game.

Blight town. So bad. It's not even a "challenge". I just don't want to do it. I have no idea where to go. I can't see shit. The framerate is awful. Poisoned all the time. The stupid bugs keep fucking up lockon. The stupid dart shooters are annoying too. Everything is annoying. Not difficult. Annoying. Doesn't make me want to get better at it. Makes me not want to play it any more.

I found the shortcut, too, in Valley of the Drakes. No idea where to go from there though.
As far as poison/toxic goes, make sure you equip the spider shield because it can block the poison darts 100%.

KAOz

Short bus special
BeeDog said:
Thanks for the answer, but figured I'd look it up in the Wiki (I don't do it often enough), and it's apparently in New Londo Ruins.

Shit, you're right. I was thinking of Large Divine ember. Sorry.

But yeah, otherwise if chasing embers is annoying (and yes it is), just bring it up to a 10+ really.

Booshka

Americanmushroom said:
thanks for answering. Ok so i have all these souls: wich would be better to make as ultimate weapon? :

- Moonlight butterfly
- Quelaag
- Iron golem
- ornstein
- Sif
- Priscilla

Crystal Ring Shield is the best to make, but Quelagg's Fury Sword is pretty cool looking and pretty good as well. The Golem Axe sucks, Ornstein spear I can't use, Sif's Greatshield looks cool and is very stable, but very heavy, his swords look pretty cool, but I can't use them either. As for Priscilla's weapon, I've never really given it a chance, but it has a cool concept with the Bleed damage and is unique in that it is a Scythe.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Americanmushroom said:

- Moonlight butterfly
- Quelaag
- Iron golem
- ornstein
- Sif
- Priscilla

Moonlight butterfly, you can make the shield that a lot of people (i think) were confusing for the "flying guillotine". As a shield, it sucks. As a weapon (you throw a light disk that's equal to double the damage of the weapon in your right hand), its pretty good. I use it to one shot the silver knights in Anor Londo.

I've also made the Quelaag Sword, gnarly looking thing that doubles as a firesword.

I have the other souls you listed, except Priscilla, but I havent used them yet.

BeeDog

KAOz said:
Shit, you're right. I was thinking of Large Divine ember. Sorry.

But yeah, otherwise if chasing embers is annoying (and yes it is), just bring it up to a 10+ really.

Alright, will try, thanks. Had to take a detour to the Catacombs (yes, went all the way there without warping) so I can get the Rite. I hadn't kindled the bonfire inside the Anor Londo castle, so my suggestion to all of you is:

Whenever you can kindle, kindle that bonfire to +20 flasks. You do not want to fight the Anor Londo boss with only 10 flasks like I'm doing, especially when you need to kill all the enemies outside of the fog gate so you can summon Solaire every single time.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
mrklaw said:
damn bloody bollocks.

Got to near the top of Sen's Fortress with no flasks and about half an inch of health. Desparately ran for where I thought the bonfire would be, and dropped down to it, only to find the tiny little fall killed me :(

Is there another bonfire before I get up there?
Nope :(

WEGGLES

Aeana said:
As far as poison/toxic goes, make sure you equip the spider shield because it can block the poison darts 100%.
I have that, the rusted iron ring, 50ish purple mosses. I just hate this area so much. :'\

A sign of hope!

Your Amazon.com order of "Dark Souls The Official Guide" has shipped!

JVIDICAN

Americanmushroom said:

- Moonlight butterfly
- Quelaag
- Iron golem
- ornstein
- Sif
- Priscilla

Make them all! :O
Crystal ring shield
Furry sword
Golem axe?
Dragon Hunter Spear
Great sword of Artorias (cursed or holy)
Life Hunt Scythe

Santiako

Roklie said:
So I've upgraded my Halberd to +10 with large titenite shards and was wondering where I should go with it from now on? I have my dexterity 12 and strength 12, does it scale with both, if so then should I start leveling up either one? I'm not familiar with the upgrading scheme yet, is this called a raw weapon now or is it still "normal"? I'd appreciate any help!

I'm using a Fire Halberd +10 and it rapes every enemy in the game. Sogood.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Pkm said:
Anyone know if the Demon Machette is any good?

I always hear the SHotel is nice cause the R2 attack in unblockable? Thinking about pimping mine out.

Im at the point where I cant go much farther with my Drake. Got a ton of boss drop weapons and a ton of basic weapons.

I was using the shotel until I ascended it to the furysword (which looks awesome). I think the Shotel is one of the coolest looking weapons plus you get the cool flip moves that go with it (and all curved swords).

I can't confirm the R2 being unblockable though. Somehow I doubt it.

Fuck those BP's that invade on Anor Londo and press the middle switch, only to snipe you from the other side of the ceiling in the big paint room. Like seriously, fuck them.

Zeliard

WEGGLES said:
I have that, the rusted iron ring, 50ish purple mosses. I just hate this area so much. :'\

A sign of hope!

Your Amazon.com order of "Dark Souls The Official Guide" has shipped!

Blighttown becomes much easier to navigate once you get rid of the toxic guys. After you pick up a few select bits of loot there's no real reason to ever go through the level again when you have the big Drakes shortcut. And later on an even bigger shortcut.

Having said that, I liked Blighttown. :p It's just that unfortunate framerate. Outside of that I appreciated how dangerous going through it felt and how ghastly it looked.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Americanmushroom said:
Crystal Ring it is then! i summoned a guy once that had it and i thought it was magic or some stuff.. Thanks!

Word of warning, dont get too trigger happy with it. Each shot w/ it lowers the shield's durability, along w/ just using the shield to block, and it doesnt have a lot of durability to begin with.

Aeana

Zeliard said:
Blighttown becomes much easier to navigate once you get rid of the toxic guys. After you pick up a few select bits of loot there's no real reason to ever go through the level again when you have the big Drakes shortcut. And later on an even bigger shortcut.

Having said that, I liked Blighttown. :p It's just that unfortunate framerate. Outside of that I appreciated how dangerous going through it felt and how ghastly it looked.
It looked like darkness to me!

On the rare occasion that something was lit up enough for me to see it, it reminded me of that dreadful part of RE5.

Roklie

Santiako said:
I'm using a Fire Halberd +10 and it rapes every enemy in the game. Sogood.
But it stops scaling after you turn it into an elemental weapon, doesn't it? I don't if I want that if it's good only for a while. How much damage are you doing?

Zeliard

Aeana said:
It looked like darkness to me!

On the rare occasion that something was lit up enough for me to see it, it reminded me of that dreadful part of RE5.

The word I'd describe Blighttown with is probably "grimy." You feel like taking two showers after going through that place. :p

Well, thanks for those tips about parrying Gwyn. He quickly fell to my Gravelord Sword +4. Awesome game,
terrible ending
. Overall this was much better than Demon's Souls, and the most engrossing game I've played this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom