• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

Anor Londo spoilers:

You can't join the
Darkmoon covenant once you've Gwynevere

And damn,
night Anor Londo, pretty amazing how they can just change the time of day and all of a sudden a different mood sets in.

Just beat Ornstein and Smough with my melee build. Unfortunately, no matter what I tried I couldn't beat
Ornstein's transformation
, so I'm hoping I can beat him with my mage build in NG+.

1stStrike

Banned
Fidelis Hodie said:
Just got to Lost Izaloth for the first time.

My literal reaction.

"What . . the fuck . . is this."

Congrats. Not only will you be partially blinded for several hours afterwards, but you're going to be getting your ass kicked by
the lower half of dead dragons.

zeitgeist

Has anyone else noticed recent glitchy-freezy issues when playing this game with an enabled online connection?

My game freezes if I am online but it is fine if I play offline.

Wait so question... Leveling up gets more expensive the higher your level is, so does it make sense to bulk level up? Like should I save a TON of souls and level up as much as possible at once? or is it all relative...

Dresden

Devin Olsen said:
Wait so question... Leveling up gets more expensive the higher your level is, so does it make sense to bulk level up? Like should I save a TON of souls and level up as much as possible at once? or is it all relative...
Won't matter, you're always going to spend the same amount of souls in the end.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Devin Olsen said:

it doesn't matter, the soul requirement increases after each SL gained.

Devin Olsen said:

It's all relative.
It always costs x souls to go from level a to b. It's predetermined.

If you paid 500 souls last time, you'll probably pay 650 next time and 1000 after that. Doesn't matter if you do it all at once or in steps.

Dresden

Nekrono said:
Can you not get the
Drake Sword
anymore? I've shot around 100 arrows to this
dragon
and nothing!
Might just be that your dexterity is too low to do significant damage?

Aeana

Nekrono said:
Can you not get the
Drake Sword
dragon
and nothing!
There isn't an X by the bow in the corner of the screen is there? (i.e. you have enough DEX to use the bow?)

Nekrono said:
Can you not get the
Drake Sword
dragon
and nothing!

Either your bow is underleveled or you're shooting the wrong part of the tail.
I shot about 12 arrows in NG+, no more than 20, and had a second one drop, which I let Frampt eat.

2AdEPT

Nekrono said:
Can you not get the
Drake Sword
dragon
and nothing!
NG+? If you are in regular game just starting out it takes 300 wooden arrows if you are less than 12 dex. Increase dex to at least 12 and use heavy arrows. It only took me 15-20 regular and one heavy arrow
by shooting the tail when it moves around closer to the edge underneath.

Kalnos said:
Everything goes dark.

That's a bit of an understatement... besides it turning to night in the city, other things happen that you should be aware of.

Anor Londo bonfire kept by Lady Darkmoon will go out (when you go there, she will be hostile, and you will have to kill her).

All enemies in Anor Londo will disappear, except for two NPC types (like those in the forest) and the silver knights in the side rooms where you first enter the hall. The painting guards remain as well. But all the giant statues/bat creatures/etc. disappear.

--

Worth asking: Estus flask max? +7?

Nutter

Ok so this question might not actually be something that can be answered as the game isnt really tailored to any particular class, but for beginner who has never played demon souls, and wants to play and enjoy this game, what class should a beginner be using.

Nekrono

Well that was weird, I had 13 dex and was shooting the right part of the tail and nothing, I shot around 100 arrows, I restarted the game, shot about 20 and got the sword.

Weird.

stolin said:
In my NG+ (SL100), I just got the Lordvessel. Everything was pretty smooth until O&S... Big jump in difficulty with my strategies.

Can you explain what "last two boss weapons" and why you need a Sack ? I thought only Sif was needed on NG++ ?

Beside for personal collection why the "Symbol of Avarice" & Spike Shield ? Are those requirements for the Trophy ?

I used a Soul for
a covenant, to get a Miracle
, so I couldn't get the weapon in NG+ and have to forge it now, in NG++

And I need the 3 items only for personal collection, I have at least 1 item of everything in the game apart from those three...I would REALLY like to get them just to feel complete...but if I don't get them in NG++ then my only salvation would be another's generosity, because I won't keep on going into new games for just for this...tomorrow I'm reentering the depths to try one more time for the Sack.

1stStrike

Banned
Nutter said:
Ok so this question might not actually be something that can be answered as the game isnt really tailored to any particular class, but for beginner who has never played demon souls, and wants to play and enjoy this game, what class should a beginner be using.

Pyromancer.

Aeana

Nutter said:
Pyromancer seems to be what people have been suggesting for a beginner class. It starts you off at level 1, lets you go in any direction you want to with stats, and also gets you started with both melee and magic so you can get a feel for what you want to do (plus the magic doesn't rely on INT so you can use it to augment your melee if you choose to go that way).

Booshka

Nutter said:
Pyromancer, Axe, Fireball spell at the start of the game, and decent stats with plenty of room to customize.

I chose Warrior, and this is my first Souls game, and I have almost exclusively done melee, with some Bow and arrow pulling and cheese, but have recently invested heavily in Pyromancy. It works well, but Warrior is a great class if you want to focus on melee.

Im in Lost Izaith and fighting
bed of chaos, I died and my bloodstain is where the second magic ball is and it would be almost impossible to get until I defeat the boss... can I go back there, after beating the boss to get my souls back? Its like 200k souls and I dont want to lose them :S

LiK

Nekrono said:
Well that was weird, I had 13 dex and was shooting the right part of the tail and nothing, I shot around 100 arrows, I restarted the game, shot about 20 and got the sword.

Weird.

got Drake? yea, i started as Wanderer and only had 13 Dex at the time. Shot with a Short Bow I found and used 13-14 Standard arrows and got it. Was kinda suprised cuz some people said it took them a long time, lol.

Aeana said:
Pyromancer seems to be what people have been suggesting for a beginner class. It starts you off at level 1, lets you go in any direction you want to with stats, and also gets you started with both melee and magic so you can get a feel for what you want to do (plus the magic doesn't rely on INT so you can use it to augment your melee if you choose to go that way).

i tried Pyromancer and while level 1 is good for lvling up, his Stamina drains so quickly from anything he does that I found him hard to play. Only 8 charges for his magic wasn't very helpful either. I feel like he was made to grind in the early game just to level him up so he's more powerful.

1stStrike

Banned
sotodefonk said:
Im in Lost Izaith and fighting
bed of chaos, I died and my bloodstain is where the second magic ball is and it would be almost impossible to get until I defeat the boss... can I go back there, after beating the boss to get my souls back? Its like 200k souls and I dont want to lose them :S

Once you actually beat the boss you can't get out of the area to get up to that spot. I haven't tried going back into the boss area from outside though, so I can't give you any tips on that.

1stStrike said:
Once you actually beat the boss you can't get out of the area to get up to that spot. I haven't tried going back into the boss area from outside though, so I can't give you any tips on that.

Can I use homeward bones in boss battles? maybe I should go for my bloodstain and if I miraculously succeed, get the fuck out of there using a bone and spend all of the souls...

Kalnos

Banned
sotodefonk said:
Can I use homeward bones in boss battles? maybe I should go for my bloodstain and if I miraculously succeed, get the fuck out of there using a bone and spend all of the souls...

Yeah, you can.

Insaniac

Booshka said:
Pyromancer, Axe, Fireball spell at the start of the game, and decent stats with plenty of room to customize.

I chose Warrior, and this is my first Souls game, and I have almost exclusively done melee, with some Bow and arrow pulling and cheese, but have recently invested heavily in Pyromancy. It works well, but Warrior is a great class if you want to focus on melee.

sorcerer is easiest. Always fighting at range, and if you use a guide or get tips you can get extra soul arrows from new londo easily, and rescue griggs right off the bat, which gives you access to boss owning spells and rings (if you have the patience to farm a bit)

BeeDog

Meh, I'm out of ideas.

Can someone recommend the a good weapon that has a very decent balance between damage output and stamina usage? I must up my damage output speed for the New Londo boss. My Fire Zweihander +10 drains my character too much and ends up getting me killed.

Ken

I invaded some guy's game who was eating all the Great Combustions and Chaos Fireballs I was throwing at him and his health bar was empty but he wasn't dying. Was this a cheat or something?

BeeDog said:
Meh, I'm out of ideas.

Can someone recommend the a good weapon that has a very decent balance between damage output and stamina usage? I must up my damage output speed for the New Londo boss. My Fire Zweihander +10 drains my character too much and ends up getting me killed.

QueeLags Fury Sword maxed out, R1 attacks drain little stamina, I use it for the boss there

Kyoufu

BeeDog said:
Meh, I'm out of ideas.

You're using the Grass Crest Shield right?

bathala

Banned
RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Just beat Ornstein and Smough with my melee build. Unfortunately, no matter what I tried I couldn't beat
Ornstein's transformation
, so I'm hoping I can beat him with my mage build in NG+.
I finally beat his super form just keep close to him and keep ur shield up.
The opening for me was when he does his jump to ass electric attack. It takes him awhile to recover. I'm a pyro but I also watched a vid of a melee guy using the technique

SON A BITCH! I fucking died trying to get my souls... first
onion knight dying without seeing his daughter and now this
fuck, feels bad :(

Is there a way to save
onion knight or get him to see his daughter?

Kurod

Banned
Hahaha. I was finally doing well against buffed up Ornstein when my PS3 of almost five years just crapped out. Trying to turn it back on gave me the infamous YLOD.

*sigh*

sotodefonk said:
SON A BITCH! I fucking died trying to get my souls... first
onion knight dying without seeing his daughter and now this
fuck, feels bad :(

Is there a way to save
onion knight or get him to see his daughter?

Yeah, you just need to
kill the enemies before talking to him.

LiK

Kurod said:
Hahaha. I was finally doing well against buffed up Ornstein when my PS3 of five years just crapped out. Trying to turn it back on gave me the infamous YLOD.

*sigh*

Dark Souls killed your PS3 and you lost the sou...i mean, saves!

sorry to hear that dude.

BeeDog

Hah, tried one more time right after my rage post, and finally managed to beat them. Had to abuse the Crystal Ring Shield and use Smough's armor set though.

sotodefonk said:
QueeLags Fury Sword maxed out, R1 attacks drain little stamina, I use it for the boss there

Thanks for the suggestion, will craft this weapon.

Kyoufu said:
You're using the Grass Crest Shield right?

Nope, used my entrusted Eagle Shield +10. I assume the Grass Crest Shield is mostly for magic attacks? That wasn't the big problem for me in the fight.

EDIT:

lol, bug. Even though I thanked no to joined the Darkwraith covenant, I still just got the trophy.

BeeDog said:
Hah, tried one more time right after my rage post, and finally managed to beat them. Had to abuse the Crystal Ring Shield and use Smough's armor set though.

Nope, used my entrusted Eagle Shield +10. I assume the Grass Crest Shield is mostly for magic attacks? That wasn't the big problem for me in the fight.

EDIT:

lol, bug. Even though I thanked no to joined the Darkwraith covenant, I still just got the trophy.

Equip the grass crest shield and go 2H, you still get the stamina recovery for the shield :p if you can access pyromancy use iron flesh

Kyoufu

BeeDog said:

EDIT:

The shield is for stamina regen while 2handing your weapon. This means you can zerg the boss down easily.

The trophy thing isn't a bug. It says DISCOVER not JOIN :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom