• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay well pretty much confirmed it... :( So let my example serve as a warning to others. If you kill Bed of Chaos BEFORE you send the first Pyro trainer to the swamps, the second pyro trainer will NOT appear. I even see notes in my game from other players saying "Pyromancy" where she should be sitting. So if you have any aspirations of getting all pyro spells for the achievement and/or getting your glove higher than +15, make sure you go to the swamps BEFORE killing Bed of Chaos :(

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
Is there a purpose to the bonfire after killing Nito aside from having a place to warp out from? I scoured the boss area and found no other passageway or route in or out, but I'd like to make sure I'm not missing something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just got back to the painting in Anor Londo after
I got the peculiar doll...

First time I got back to that room with all the painting guardians since I got my two jagged ghost blades. Threw on the fog ring. Wish I had a video of the resulting invisible slaughter.

Fiftyeight said:
Is there a purpose to the bonfire after killing Nito aside from having a place to warp out from? I scoured the boss area and found no other passageway or route in or out, but I'd like to make sure I'm not missing something.

Not that I could find. That's the second "lord soul" that had a bonfire with no purpose other than to warp out, so I assume the other two are the same way.

Oracle Dragon said:
Not that I could find. That's the second "lord soul" that had a bonfire with no purpose other than to warp out, so I assume the other two are the same way.

Well, the bonfire at the Four Kings actually has purpose for the Darkmoon Covenant.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Oracle Dragon said:
Okay well pretty much confirmed it... :( So let my example serve as a warning to others. If you kill Bed of Chaos BEFORE you send the first Pyro trainer to the swamps, the second pyro trainer will NOT appear. I even see notes in my game from other players saying "Pyromancy" where she should be sitting. So if you have any aspirations of getting all pyro spells for the achievement and/or getting your glove higher than +15, make sure you go to the swamps BEFORE killing Bed of Chaos :(

Yeah, the guidebook says this too.

Ken

KoreanBarbecue said:
They do. The Four Lord Souls you need are Four Kings/Seath/Nito/Bed of Chaos.

Ah, okay. Man, I wish they gave some kind of special introduction to the bosses with Lord Souls. Seemed like he was just another regular boss.

WanderingWind said:
Yeah, the guidebook says this too.

It says she won't show up at all? She should disappear after Bed of Chaos is killed, but you have one last chance to train, etc before she leaves. However in my case I killed Bed of Chaos before ever meeting her, so she never shows up :(

Oh well, no achieve till NG+ I guess!

So I just picked up the Iaito and I love the style of swinging over the Drake Sword. The only issue is that my STR is around 24 and my DEX is around 20. Have I put too many points into STR to switch over to a DEX style? Right now the Iaito doesn't do anywhere near the Drake Sword damage, but I haven't upgraded the Iaito and my low DEX doesn't help.

pmj

I just got to the Capra demon and I'm not sure whether to continue playing this game or not.

The difficulty has been mostly fine so far, but here every failure means a rather long and careful walk through the same enemies to get to the boss another time (and another and another and ANOTHER) and sometimes (such as here) it feels like the difficulty comes less from the enemies and more from an abysmal framerate and tight corridors that gives the camera trouble showing you anything except a wall or the back of your head.

My question is, is this as bad as it gets, or is there plenty more to come? I would have pushed on if I thought this was a rare event, but the tread title about Blighttown framerate has me worried.

Ken

pmj said:
I just got to the Capra demon and I'm not sure whether to continue playing this game or not.

The difficulty has been mostly fine so far, but here every failure means a rather long and careful walk through the same enemies to get to the boss another time (and another and another and ANOTHER) and sometimes (such as here) it feels like the difficulty comes less from the enemies and more from an abysmal framerate and tight corridors that gives the camera trouble showing you anything except a wall or the back of your head.

My question is, is this as bad as it gets, or is there plenty more to come? I would have pushed on if I thought this was a rare event, but the tread title about Blighttown framerate has me worried.

Did you unlock the shortcut through the aqueduct? It creates a path from Firelink Shrine straight to Capra Demon's area.

pmj said:

Most bosses have shortcuts to them from bonfires. Capra is only about 2 minutes from the Firelink Shrine and you only really have to fight 1 archer and the last two dogs, and you could probably skip the archer honestly.

I'm at Blighttown now, and I hate it, but the framerate really isn't the issue (though noticeable) it's just I hate these types of areas.

EDIT: My bad, you have to fight two assassins also. I was thinking of The Depths which is very similar.

pmj

Ken said:
Did you unlock the shortcut through the aqueduct? It creates a path from Firelink Shrine straight to Capra Demon's area.
No, I'm going from the first bonfire in the Undead Burg. It's not that long, it's just annoying to have to deal with so many enemies on the way. I'll investigate this shortcut.

Edit: Oh, I know that shortcut, I just forgot about it as I had to leave the game for a week due to work. That way is even longer, but probably with fewer enemies.

Ken

pmj said:
No, I'm going from the first bonfire in the Undead Burg. It's not that long, it's just annoying to have to deal with so many enemies on the way. I'll investigate this shortcut.

At the Carpa Demon's entrance, take the stairs down to your right. Kill the two thieves, enter the large structure in front of you, kill an archer and go up the stairs and you'll end up in the aqueduct. You can then find a new merchant and unlock a door that leads back to Firelink Shrine.

Oh, I know that shortcut, I just forgot about it as I had to leave the game for a week due to work. That way is even longer, but probably with fewer enemies.

Well, you definitely encounter less annoying enemies though the shortcut.

elty

So I finally found Pharisees. I approached her, she freak out and did a black flip.... and fell to death.

Reload the game, no bow. Wtf.

What the hell, my humanity counter just flickered.
It went from 1 to 2, I figured "ok, sure whynot?! random +humanity kill".
Now I notice as I'm standing here waiting for the anor londo archer to eat it from this poison arrow that my humanity is 1 again. WTF?!

Ken

corrosivefrost said:
What the hell, my humanity counter just flickered.
It went from 1 to 2, I figured "ok, sure whynot?! random +humanity kill".
Now I notice as I'm standing here waiting for the anor londo archer to eat it from this poison arrow that my humanity is 1 again. WTF?!

Don't you get humanity from getting orange soapstone messages rated up? Don't know if the opposite is true though.

And NG+ done! (107h10m56s)

Now onto NG++ to get the last two boss weapons and HOPEFULLY one Sack, one Symbol of the Covetous (Avarice?) and the Spiked Shield.
One is not that rare but only 2 chances in one run, one is super rare, the other is a 100% drop but the damn phantom keeps rolling to his death and upon reloading his bloodstain with the object clipped through the floor -_-

If someone feels like donating one of those (S.Level 128), send me a PM!

Chorazin

Holy fuck the Crystal Cave can suck a bag of cocks. 12 Goddamn miles from the Bonfire to the boss, with annoying enemies and those FUCKING
invisible floors.

I am quickly losing patience with these last few areas, it's like they threw design out the window and went for bullshit tricks and tedium.

1stStrike

Banned
Chorazin said:
Holy fuck the Crystal Cave can suck a bag of cocks. 12 Goddamn miles from the Bonfire to the boss, with annoying enemies and those FUCKING
invisible floors.

I am quickly losing patience with these last few areas, it's like they threw design out the window and went for bullshit tricks and tedium.

You missed a bonfire. There's one literally like 100 feet from the crystal caves entrance, and it's really not that hard to navigate.

You can even run past all the enemies and completely ignore them in the crystal caves area - all except for 1, who's guarding the way you need to go to get to the boss.

Dresden

Getting to the boss in the Crystal Caves is very easy - just watch out for the first two or three snowflakes then it's just a straight run from one platform to the other. It's even easier if someone bothered to put some messages down (I recommend doing this for yourself as well if no one did it).

Getting that blue titanite slab is a bit trickier though.

Chorazin

1stStrike said:
You missed a bonfire. There's one literally like 100 feet from the crystal caves entrance, and it's really not that hard to navigate.

You can even run past all the enemies and completely ignore them in the crystal caves area - all except for 1, who's guarding the way you need to go to get to the boss.
No, I have that Bonfire, it still just takes forever to get there, even running past everything. It's annoying and just ticks me off.

bathala

Banned
I wasn't able to buy pyro spell Sweat before the pyro teacher
hollowed

Is there an alternative way to get this spell that is not NG+

Aeana

I have no idea how to fight Priscilla as a sorcerer. I tried following her footsteps and throwing a fireball at the ground near them but I never manage to hit anything. I know I don't have to beat her to continue on but I'm kind of stubborn that way.

x3r0123

Aeana said:
I have no idea how to fight Priscilla as a sorcerer. I tried following her footsteps and throwing a fireball at the ground near them but I never manage to hit anything. I know I don't have to beat her to continue on but I'm kind of stubborn that way.

grab a spear and hit her 3 times in a row, it will stagger and reveal her

Sophia

This game has way too many chatty NPCs. And they didn't learn anything from Demon's Souls, as it's not all that more challenging but a whole lot more fustrating.

Aeana

x3r0123 said:
grab a spear and hit her 3 times in a row, it will stagger and reveal her
Well that's my problem. I can't find her to hit her.
The footsteps are clearly lying because when I aim toward the front of them, I hit nothing.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Too NG+ or trade in... the question that haunts me. I loved the 1st half, hated the last 1/4. Hmm...

x3r0123

Aeana said:
Well that's my problem. I can't find her to hit her.
The footsteps are clearly lying because when I aim toward the front of them, I hit nothing.

grab your eagle shield or something that has high stability
once you block her hit, stagger her. She will always chase after you

Dresden said:
It's like a two, three minute run.

I agree - once the one and done golem is off that center beam, there are no enemies to fight (you just dodge the first golem) and it takes <3 minutes. The only problem, as others have mentioned, is that fucking blue titanite slab.

-----------------------

While people are on the subject, what's the best way to cut off Priscilla's tail -- it's the only weapon that's not a boss soul that I'm missing toward my platinum...

I read somewhere to use something that does lower damage? I know I tried to hack it off while the fight was starting last time, but it didn't work -- I got one hit in before she used the snowstorm and was disappeared -- not sure if the two dudes I summoned to help me with her were trying for her tail at all... and I can foresee myself having a Seath like fit against her when I venture in that way...

Dresden

corrosivefrost said:
I agree - once the one and done golem is off that center beam, there are no enemies to fight (you just dodge the first golem) and it takes <3 minutes. The only problem, as others have mentioned, is that fucking blue titanite slab.
Yeah, that is a fucking pain.

People really need to continue putting down messages in Crystal Caverns.

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:

-----------------------

While people are on the subject, what's the best way to cut off Priscilla's tail -- it's the only weapon that's not a boss soul that I'm missing toward my platinum...

the path looks like a hook. Use prism stones to guide you...

i used a falchion to cut her tail. Once i got her tail, i quit and reloaded

1stStrike

Banned
x3r0123 said:

Yea, or you can just throw a fireball which will reveal her right away.

I never even gave her a chance to go invisible - one hit and I took off 90% of her HP and she just completely skipped that phase and started swinging at me. Two more light attacks and she was dead, and I got the dagger too!

bathala

Banned
Aeana said:
I fought her using pyro spell. When I saw her footsteps 2-3 steps away from me. I ready my spell (great fireball) then moved forward

x3r0123

1stStrike said:
Yea, or you can just throw a fireball which will reveal her right away.

I never even gave her a chance to go invisible - one hit and I took off 90% of her HP and she just completely skipped that phase and started swinging at me. Two more light attacks and she was dead, and I got the dagger too!

fire surge/combustion works just as good if you want to take it slow

x3r0123 said:
the path looks like a hook. Use prism stones to guide you...

i used a falchion to cut her tail. Once i got her tail, i quit and reloaded

(1) Yeah, I know, I checked the map in the guide. ;) However, I can say I used over 70 stones trying to find where the path was because people had put messages on the very edge and I'd slip off at the last minute... took me like 10 tries.

(2) I have one of those -- I have almost every weapon in one form or another -- what's the plan if she's aggro and invisible?

Aeana

x3r0123 said:
I hit her 5 times with my lightning spear and she didn't reappear... and blocking with the eagle shield only worked like 2/10 times. Thanks for the advice, but I guess I'm just too awful.

Ghost23

The boss at the top of Sen's fortress is kicking my butt. I get him to about 1/3 of his health, but after that I run out of magic and my weapons do nothing to him. Any advice?

FuzzyNorman said:
The boss at the top of Sen's fortress is kicking my butt. I get him to about 1/3 of his health, but after that I run out of magic and my weapons do nothing to him. Any advice?

What magic?
What weapons?

I actually just wrecked him with crystal soul mass and soul spear. :) You might have soul spear, but maybe not, since you'd have to free logan and go back to firelink before taking on the golem.

x3r0123

Aeana said:
I hit her 5 times with my lightning spear and she didn't reappear... and blocking with the eagle shield only worked like 2/10 times. Thanks for the advice, but I guess I'm just too awful.

5 times in a row?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom