• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm not getting my platinum trophy with this game like i did with Demons Souls. This game just has too much annoying stuff. I'm just gonna get the ending tomorrow and call it a day.

aasoncott

Had a great session tonight, hacked and slashed my way through two more bosses (
Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon
). Was really proud of myself trudging through
the Depths
-- I fell and got totally lost after the bonfire, but managed to lay waste to everything and find my way through without dying once.
And without getting cursed!

The second boss fight (
the Gaping Dragon
) was a damn hard battle, though. I understand how some people thought it was easy, but I just got super unlucky every time. Took four attempts, the last three attempts with two other people. We just kept getting wiped out. Suddenly the last try went easily, though --
even chopped off the tail
. I hadn't killed
the stupid wizard guy who takes pot shots at your during the battle
-- that was the one place I had never gone. I don't think that was really responsible for our bad luck, though.

Darkone

After 76 hours and 32 minutes i finished the game,
dissapointed from the ending :(
It was a great game, now the wait for the next one begins.

lupin23rd

Just before the end of Demon Ruins, I was human so decided to summon help for the boss that the hints were telling me was just up ahead.

So me and my sidekick run into the fog, and I'm like fuck,
the whole place is a lava bed!

Literally just stood there while my sidekick destroyed the boss, getting me the item I would have like to have had right then, with my sole contribution to the fight being a well timed estus heal.

Dark Souls.

Booshka

Mortrialus said:
Dicking around with the Crystal Ring Shield. Jesus this thing is OP as fuck.
Some guy invaded me and I killed him with it, did 900 damage to him and he had some good armor on, he ran right into it trying to do some 2H attack. Almost felt bad.

Does anyone else find it really amusing how the reward for beating Ornstein and Smough is a view of the Princess's gigantic cleavage while a heavenly choir plays?

Ken

Mortrialus said:
Does anyone else find it really amusing how the reward for beating Ornstein and Smough is a view of the Princess's gigantic cleavage while a heavenly choir plays?

A fine reward after seeing the horror that is Executioner Smough.

I'm stuck - there's a chest in the Duke's Archives on top of a shelf of the ground floor - anybody know how to get it? Drop off from the stair pillar or drop off from the third floor? How do I get to the third floor? Ugh, so confused :(

we.are.the.armada said:
I'm stuck - there's a chest in the Duke's Archives on top of a shelf of the ground floor - anybody know how to get it? Drop off from the stair pillar or drop off from the third floor? How do I get to the third floor? Ugh, so confused :(

where exactly? where the spiral stairs are? with the lizard mens?

a phone pic could help a lot, dukes archives is huge

Booshka

we.are.the.armada said:
You can probably drop onto it, as for getting on the third floor, you have to rotate some staircases to get up there.

1stStrike

Banned
Mortrialus said:

Try binoculars.

I totally would have accepted that as a suitable reward IRL.

sotodefonk said:
where exactly? where the spiral stairs are? with the lizard mens?

a phone pic could help a lot, dukes archives is huge

It's in the large hall with the stair pillars that swivel via levers. I think that this is the only chest in the game that is on a shelf - it's on the top of the shelf and on the far end.

Devin Olsen said:
Wait so question... Leveling up gets more expensive the higher your level is, so does it make sense to bulk level up? Like should I save a TON of souls and level up as much as possible at once? or is it all relative...

others have answered you, but id also like to add it makes sense to level up as soon as you get the souls, simply because if you die you lose all the souls so level asap.

for me now, it takes about 1.3 million souls to advance a level i think...so ive stopped caring about souls/levels and am just enjoying the game really.

Moaradin

Just started playing. Loving it so far, but whats up with the low FPS on the 360 version? I got the new 320GB LE Xbox and I installed it on my hard drive and everything, but FPS is so low.

Bento

Finished the game at 36 hours. Level 70 Caster with 50 Int, 30 End and 12 Vit. Last boss was a bit of a bitch (in a good way!) but once again Iron Flesh + Crystal Homing Soulmass + Crystal Soul Lance comes through as a devastating trio :eek:) Also squeezed in the last point into int right before the boss so got to try White Dragon Breath and while its not as powerful as Crystal Soul Lance, being able to use it 20 times makes it worth having imo.

Haven't been able to decide if I prefer this over Demon's Souls or not. The seamless world, the loot and spells, Anor Londo, Sen's Fortress, covenants, enemy design and finally some really excellent boss fights (
Smaugh & Ornstein
Bell Gargoyles
and
Four Kings
) all made this game a bliss to play. On the other side unfortunately the very poor frame rate, Lost Izalith, P2P multiplayer, some really bad boss fights (
Moonlight Butterfly
Pinwheel
and
The Bed of Chaos
) and the poor ending (but a good last boss at least unlike Demon's Souls) makes me unsure of how this will stack against its predecessor in the long run. Regardless, great game and can't wait to play the sequel :eek:)

Mortrialus said:
Dicking around with the Crystal Ring Shield. Jesus this thing is OP as fuck.

thing is...i had the dragon greatsword +2 ( i think 430ish damage rating) equipped in my right hand, and the crystal ring shield in my left. threw it the stray demon and it only took off around 400ish? i thought it was supposed to be 2 x the damage/attack rating so shouldnt it have been around 860 its supposed to put out?

also have a couple of other questions

1) Havels shield L2 attack - wtf does it do? he seems to armour up or grow thorns or something and it removed around 400 durability from the shield? Now ides what it does.

2) I got the catalist/wand from the girl in the lake - is it any different to the sorcerers catalyst? the description and all the symbols really mean nothing to me.

one thingi hate about this game - i cant tell what scales with what or does what damage.

NeoCross

Gaping Dragon, Iron Giant, Sif, Moonlight, Capra
were all very easy, beat them like within 2-4 tries. Ornstein and Smough on the other hand, fuck that fight. I nearly threw my controller into the TV because it was so fucking cheap.

So I got the Lordvessel, what areas should I go through next? And how the hell do I get to Nito
to kill him?

Phat Michael said:
thing is...i had the dragon greatsword +2 ( i think 430ish damage rating) equipped in my right hand, and the crystal ring shield in my left. threw it the stray demon and it only took off around 400ish? i thought it was supposed to be 2 x the damage/attack rating so shouldnt it have been around 860 its supposed to put out?

If I remember correctly, the Stay Demon has a lot of defense.

Bento

NeoCross said:
So I got the Lordvessel, what areas should I go through next? And how the hell do I get to Nito
to kill him?
You need to go through Catacombs and the Tomb of Giants to find Nito. Bring Cast Light if possible since it will make going through the Tomb a lot easier imo :eek:)

sleepykyo

Zee-Row said:
I'm not getting my platinum trophy with this game like i did with Demons Souls. This game just has too much annoying stuff. I'm just gonna get the ending tomorrow and call it a day.

Ditto. Lost Izalith and New Londo Ruins/Abyss are ridiculous.

NeoCross

Bento said:
You need to go through Catacombs and the Tomb of Giants to find Nito. Bring Cast Light if possible since it will make going through the Tomb a lot easier imo :eek:)
I actually have the lantern and went through the tombs but I still can't find him. I got to the room where you find the divine ember but after that I seem to be going in circles. Where exactly is he there? :(

Jeramii

Banned
i'm at a point in this game i struggle to want to pick up the controller. its just an overwhelming experience to play this game.

every second i play i love it to death. but its just that anticipation of what is next that kills me, yet excites me.

i'm in the tomb of giants. haven't really started. i missed the jump at the start and just decided to take a few day break.

frequency

NeoCross said:
I actually have the lantern and went through the tombs but I still can't find him. I got to the room where you find the divine ember but after that I seem to be going in circles. Where exactly is he there? :(
Have you found the room with
the respawning baby skeletons in the water?
He's there. It's not that far from the bonfire. You would have had to
go past the ledge where you can see outside and through the tunnel that the NPC invades you in.

Bento

sleepykyo said:
Ditto. Lost Izalith and New Londo Ruins/Abyss are ridiculous.
I actually quite liked New Londo Ruins, the Wraiths gave me an unexpected Lands of Lore nostalgia rush (even trapping you between them!) and exploring the Lower area with the Darkwraiths and Blobs hiding in the shadows was a tense and genuinely thrilling experience. Also From Software does dark, creepy place really well visually.

JJD

Guys I'm hoping my copy finally arrives next week (just in time for BF3...sight...) is there a consensus on the best build to play this game?

Melee? Ranged? Magic caster?

I did a little bit of everything on Demon's Souls but a friend warned me that I'm not getting away with that on Dark Souls. If I try to build an all around character I'm going to get a really hard time on some parts and enemies...help?

UFRA

Does copying a save from my PS+ cloud backup onto the HDD cause any negative effects? i.e. no longer allowing you to gain trophies or something?

JJD said:
I did a little bit of everything on Demon's Souls but a friend warned me that I'm not getting away with that on Dark Souls. If I try to build an all around character I'm going to get a really hard time on some parts and enemies...help?

I did the same thing on Demon's Souls. I was a knight but I also had a good set of spells, good bow/arrows, etc. It was badass.

I'm trying to go for the same thing in Dark Souls and I'm up to Sen's Fortress and starting to think I need to just focus on being a melee guy and that's that. I feel like enemies at this point are stronger than they should be. Especially when I summon people to help me who are supposedly +/- 10 levels and yet they have awesome lightning, fire, etc. weapons and seem to be way more lethal than me. :/

frequency

JJD said:
Guys I'm hoping my copy finally arrives next week (just in time for BF3...sight...) is there a consensus on the best build to play this game?

Melee? Ranged? Magic caster?

I went with melee and used pyromancy (which doesn't require INT so I can focus on melee stats). None of the bosses or enemies gave me very much trouble. The only real problems I had was with some of the environments feeling cheap.

I think the suggested build I see the most online is to start as a pyromancer and then just get your STR and DEX up to whatever the requirements for your weapon of choice is and then put the rest into VIT and END. I think general consensus is that elemental weapons (lightning mostly) with high VIT and END makes it way easier than putting like 50 points in STR because the stat scaling is weak. That's supposed to change in an upcoming patch but no one knows how it's going to change and when the patch is supposed to happen.

guys I cant find the pyromancer merchant in blightown... I saw were it supposed to be, but nope shes not there... Is there something I need to do to get her to show up?

EDIT: oh fuck I saw that if I killed lost iziath boss she's gone for good... well, NG it is to get that trophy

Speevy

Banned
I've lost so many times to Smough and Ornstein that it's starting to get to me.

I've killed Ornstein like 12 times. And the thing is, my +10 great axe can hurt these guys like crazy. But it's slow, and so am I. It's also very short. None of my other weapons, including those that inflict lightning damage, can come close to the great axe.

I want to get this puppy upgraded to lightning status, but I need a titanite chunk for that.

I need to be lighter. But the thing is, I sacrifice massive defense and I'm not very good at rolling anyway. I'm not very aware of the environment. I just block, wait for the most obvious opening, and go in. It's horrible. At this rate it'll take me forever to beat these guys.

UFRA

sotodefonk said:
guys I cant find the pyromancer merchant in blightown... I saw were it supposed to be, but nope shes not there... Is there something I need to do to get her to show up?

Are you referring to Quelaana of Izilith? According to the guide she only shows up if you have a
pyromancy flame +10 and have NOT defeated the boss in Lost Izilith yet.

Speevy said:

I've killed Ornstein like 12 times. And the thing is, my +10 great axe can hurt these guys like crazy. But it's slow, and so am I. It's also very short. None of my other weapons, including those that inflict lightning damage, can come close to the great axe.

I want to get this puppy upgraded to lightning status, but I need a titanite chunk for that.

I need to be lighter. But the thing is, I sacrifice massive defense and I'm not very good at rolling anyway. I'm not very aware of the environment. I just block, wait for the most obvious opening, and go in. It's horrible. At this rate it'll take me forever to beat these guys.

Would seriously recommend getting Solaire and another phantom to help you out. I let them tank super Ornstein once we killed Smough. Worked out pretty well.

Speevy said:

Start with lion guy, kill him. When fighting super saiyan fatty block the charge attack with a good shield and the other attacks are easily rolled away from and they create an opening for attack. Pyromancy, bombs and weapons with good reach do wonders here.

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Start with lion guy, kill him. When fighting super saiyan fatty block the charge attack with a good shield and the other attacks are easily rolled away from and they create an opening for attack. Pyromancy, bombs and weapons with good reach do wonders here.
Ur descriptions r awesome. I used iron flesh and crystal ring shield. Killed him pretty quickly.

shiroryu

What a game.

Taurus Demon was relatively easy with my Sorc, though I got cocky and nearly died at one point. Took out the Black Knight in the Upper Burg, then got past the Dragon, got the Drake Sword.

FUCK the rats under the bridge, and what the fuck has happened to Soul Arrow? I've had it fly over the heads of locked on enemies that are coming straight at me. Never had this in DS.

Once I got poisoned, I had to wait out the effect with 6 of my 9 estus flasks. Went on into the Parish, got ambushed while taking out the crossbow zombies, left with 5% of health and no Estus flasks. Thought this was it, but managed to take down all of 'em. Stood where they were and Soul Arrowed the boar to death. Out of Estus flasks, decided to return to the bonfire, and step off the ladder leading to the rat room instead of climbing down it by mistake - and the fall is just enough to kill me. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.......1581 souls in that rat room.

I'm loving this game so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom