• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

Facism said:
Is the Titanite Catch Pole necessary for the Knight's Trophy?

According to wikidot it's been confirmed that it's not necessary.

So looking at the rare weapon list, I need to play the game until ng++ to get all of them? :(

LiK

i think From Soft making the write/rate function as an item was a mistake. the lack of ratings compared to Demon's Souls is huge. sometimes i just gotta trust it.

frequency

LiK said:
i think From Soft making the write/rate function as an item was a mistake. the lack of ratings compared to Demon's Souls is huge. sometimes i just gotta trust it.
Yeah... Sometimes I read a helpful message but can't really be bothered to press down to scroll to the item, and then press down multiple times again to scroll back to my Estus Flask. It's not a huge amount of work but it's way more steps than it should be.

I think the highest rated message I've seen was a 7... Compared to the 100+ on helpful messages in Demon's Souls.

When I see a 0 rated message, I don't know if I can trust it or not. I've trusted a few times and died because of it.

LiK said:
Yes it is, even when I always have the message items as one of my five equipped item, I just stopped rating and writing messages. I also haven't been invaded or summoned yet so my entire Dark Souls playthrough I barely have seen any online interaction yet. I almost want to invade somebody's world just to see something, but I'll get probably killed.

BeeDog

Killed the Tomb of the Giants boss again now, just as easy as the first time. Though I wonder, what triggers the Paladin armor set to spawn there? My first time there didn't spawn it, but I just got it. Is it killing Leeroy on the way to the boss?

jg4xchamp

I've enjoyed what I've played it so far(only beat 3 bosses at this point). I get too grind happy when I play it. I'm at like level 32. Magic is a clutch safety net though.

LiK said:
There should be button prompts for +, - and cancel when reading a message.

Wow WHEW what a night, marathon session:

- Bed of Chaos
- Nito
- Stray Demon
- Dark Sun Gwyn
- Four Kings
- Seath
- Gwyn

Game finished!! just shy of 60 hours. Urghhhh its 5 am...

On to NG+ ;)

LiK said:

this is a very good point and i agree completely. its such a useless thing to have equipped and id say 95% of messages i see are rated "0" . that and the not showing how many souls to get to the next level. inexcusable.

As a SL60 pyromancer which should I rather be upgrading Black Knight Sword or Lighting Spear?

And is there any other cool weapons for me near by (just finished Anor Londo)?

Augemitbutter said:
i don't remember picking one up in there either (sen's). maybe it's just misinformation? i don't know.

Looked around and couldn't find the location in Sen's. I did find out that you can farm them off the harpies in the Painted World though.

LiK

frequency said:
Yeah... Sometimes I read a helpful message but can't really be bothered to press down to scroll to the item, and then press down multiple times again to scroll back to my Estus Flask. It's not a huge amount of work but it's way more steps than it should be.

I think the highest rated message I've seen was a 7... Compared to the 100+ on helpful messages in Demon's Souls.

When I see a 0 rated message, I don't know if I can trust it or not. I've trusted a few times and died because of it.

Prophet Steve said:
Yes it is, even when I always have the message items as one of my five equipped item, I just stopped rating and writing messages. I also haven't been invaded or summoned yet so my entire Dark Souls playthrough I barely have seen any online interaction yet. I almost want to invade somebody's world just to see something, but I'll get probably killed.

toasty_T said:
There should be button prompts for +, - and cancel when reading a message.

Phat Michael said:
this is a very good point and i agree completely. its such a useless thing to have equipped and id say 95% of messages i see are rated "0" . that and the not showing how many souls to get to the next level. inexcusable.

ah, glad i'm not the only one who felt this way. kinda ridiculous we have to buy the item too, lol.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Misterinenja said:
As a SL60 pyromancer which should I rather be upgrading Black Knight Sword or Lighting Spear?

Both of those are great weapons, do you like the range and defense of the spear or the wide arc of the Sword?

I personally prefer the BK Sword, the Lightning Spear may have more potential damage output when fully upgraded but don't count on that. The Black Knight weapons continue to surprise me though with their damage output, I have a Dragon King Great Axe and Dragon Great Sword +4 that get beat out by a Black Knight Great Sword +2 even though their raw stats read higher.

Misterinenja said:

i like the Queelaags firesword a LOT. Falchion +10 then Queelaags soul. ive got it at +4 right now. its quick like hte drake sword and adds fire damage.

Also using a lightning estoc +3 and i love it because you can attack while hiding behind your shield and it still hits them. its not a massive damage weapon but great if you are primarily a caster.

also have a Magic Winged Halberd which is pretty nice.

Yo Gotti said:
Both of those are great weapons, do you like the range and defense of the spear or the wide arc of the Sword?

I personally prefer the BK Sword, the Lightning Spear may have more potential damage output when fully upgraded but don't count on that. The Black Knight weapons continue to surprise me though with their damage output, I have a Dragon King Great Axe and Dragon Great Sword +4 that get beat out by a Black Knight Great Sword +2 even though their raw stats read higher.
I started using BK Sword yesterday. Only problem that I'm facing is that I've played trough the whole game almost exclusively with spears / halberds and that has affected my playstyle.

Might as well start to learn swinging things around.

KAOz

Short bus special
BeeDog said:
Killed the Tomb of the Giants boss again now, just as easy as the first time. Though I wonder, what triggers the Paladin armor set to spawn there? My first time there didn't spawn it, but I just got it. Is it killing Leeroy on the way to the boss?

Yepp, you need to beat up Paladin Leeroy, for it to spawn.

God, I am so in love with this game. So good. Specially when one figures out how to skip certain areas. (Lost Izalith, yeah, I'm looking at you!)

Doomshine

LiK said:
ah, glad i'm not the only one who felt this way. kinda ridiculous we have to buy the item too, lol.
Yeah you really should be able to rate without using the item, it's ridiculous, I don't think I've received a single rating so far and I've maybe rated like 5 times in almost 20 hours.

Dresden

Fucking twinkling titanite, man.

Damn clams are going to max out my purging stone stock before I get the ten titanites I need.

Kyoufu

Doomshine said:
Yeah you really should be able to rate without using the item, it's ridiculous, I don't think I've received a single rating so far and I've maybe rated like 5 times in almost 20 hours.

That isn't the reason why your messages aren't being rated. It's because the messages don't actually appear for most people. It all depends on which "lobby" you land on. THAT is ridiculous.

Dresden said:
Fucking twinkling titanite, man.

I got a ton at Ash Lake.

LiK

Kyoufu said:
That isn't the reason why your messages aren't being rated. It's because the messages don't actually appear for most people. It all depends on which "lobby" you land on. THAT is ridiculous.

probably explains why i see so little bloodstains as well. i see like one every few hours. considering the amount of people dying from their stories, i would expect more to help me out.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Yea, the lack of dedicated servers really hurts the online community.

I wonder how big the lobbies are, they have to be pretty sizable since I still do see hundreds of messages. Still, with so many covenants dividing the userbase, dedicated servers are even more necessary for this game than DS.

shahkur

How do i get from Quelaag's domain all the way back to firelink shrine after having rang the 2nd bell? Any shortcuts? And where can i find the merchant so i can sell?

Kyoufu

shahkur said:
How do i get from Quelaag's domain all the way back to firelink shrine after having rang the 2nd bell? Any shortcuts? And where can i find the merchant so i can sell?

Water wheel.

LiK

Backfoggen said:
I doubt it's the lobby size. I see tons of messages, all of them rated 0 or maybe 1. The highest was 5 for "need head".
LOL

I miss "sticky white stuff" in front of the maiden in Demon's.

Grinchy

Banned
I see messages all the time. I've seen the same message 3 times in a row right by each other, then another one a few feet away with something slightly different. It's kind of annoying, actually. I almost never rate messages anymore unless I feel like it really helped.

LiK

Grinchy said:
I see messages all the time. I've seen the same message 3 times in a row right by each other, then another one a few feet away with something slightly different. It's kind of annoying, actually. I almost never rate messages anymore unless I feel like it really helped.
I did it!

Moaradin

I'm still wondering about the framerate on this game. I'm at the very first level and the frame seems to drop to below 10 fps from time to time. Is it normal throughout the game?

Kyoufu

Moaradin said:
I'm still wondering about the framerate on this game. I'm at the very first level and the frame seems to drop to below 10 fps from time to time. Is it normal throughout the game?

Yeah, you can get it down to single digits if you really want to.

le.phat

Hey Soul Gaf, i've been dodging the OT since i first wanted to check the waters by myself. Having new-game++'ed Demon souls, i kind of expected this game to be alot easier, especially with things like the bonfires ect. Luckily, Dark Souls is still a very challenging game, albeit the mystery and shine of the original's experience are mostly gone.

I'm running a cleric, SL 42, and currently weilding a +4 divine mace. Insane damage! It kind of feels like i shouldn't have a weapon this powerful, as for instance the spiderqueen fell in like 4 minutes tops.

So i just rang the second bell, did blighttown in one go, and i really, really enjoyed it. Obviously the framerate sucks, but all the other problems are easily fixed with a little preperation. I had alot of mossclumps from the grass fellas in the garden, so a combination of slow pace and maxing my poison res through equipment i slowly but surely tackled blighttown in one go. So far probably the best enviroment.

And that's a shame really, because basically its a revisit to the Valley of defilement. And that's where the game kind of falls flat. Its Demon's souls without the soul. The enviroments are alot less well designed. Boletaria, The shrine of storms, the valley, tower of latria, even stone fang, they're all just so much more memorable and intimidating too! When you stroll into the lair of the stormseeker, the Iron maiden of Latria, the first time you cross the bridge of Boletaria. And then there's the bosses. Even those look alot more horrifying/disturbing, then just pure fantasy ( moonlight butterfly or Stormseeker ? ). I dunno, the designs in Demon souls are just alot better.

But i'm still really enjoying Dark souls. I guess coming from demon's souls its impossible for this to not feel really familiar. And its okay. I'm going to plat this one aswell.

TL:DR: DEMONSOULS > DARKSOULS COME AT OT

Hi2u

Banned
I'm so confused with all these different titanites and slabs for upgrading. I'm going for most of the achievements in the game and basically want to get at least one of each type upgraded. I haven't done any so far.

Currently I'm trying to upgrade my Lightning Spear, which is at +4 to +5 (or up to whenever the achievement pops for upgrading a Lightning Weapon). It says I next need a Titanite Slab for +5.

Where's that? Is that the one with the Stray Demon? Also is that a Yellow, green, white or any other colour slab or just a plain old Titanite Slab? It's so confusing. I don't want to upgrade wrong and have the weapon reset.

Where can I farm these slabs or chunks? I'm currently going through New Londo at SL 79.

Trevelyon

Pumpkins said:
How? This is really getting on my nerves...

Run them around in groups of three or four and be real fast, they'll butt stomp and tail whip each other like big dummies and you'll be racking up the souls.

p.s. no respawns, no worries.

Pumpkins

Trevelyon said:
Run them around in groups of three or four and be real fast, they'll butt stomp and tail whip each other like big dummies and you'll be racking up the souls.

p.s. no respawns, no worries.

Thanks for the tip.

This is still literally the dumbest thing ever. I can't believe how much the tone has changed just because of one level.

Kyoufu

Pumpkins said:
Thanks for the tip.

This is still literally the dumbest thing ever. I can't believe how much the tone has changed just because of one level.

You're not supposed to fight everything. That would be insane.

Trevelyon

Try get to the two center pillars in the area and run them around that, much easier and no lava to run HP and armor down, preferably the furtherest one on the right (bonfire behind an illusionary wall) is the best.

Lure them in, take souls, rest and lure in the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom