• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Phat Michael said:
if u glitch u can get easy a million souls per minute with the dragon head stone.....otherwise itll take u a while...

15 runs in the forest behind the sealed door.
It takes around 20mins of grind. (1~min per run max).

V_Arnold said:
15 runs in the forest behind the sealed door.
It takes around 20mins of grind. (1~min per run max).

been trying the forest now - getting my skeleton punched out of my body by mushrooms. Do the guys right in front of the door respawn? all of those forest guardians who refuse to let me lock onto them? they each give me about 1-2k per kill, is that the location you mean?

Raxus

toasty_T said:
I said no to the
cat thing

Can I still join the first covenant?
Yes you can always revisit covenants and yes you can join covenants you have declined (I do it all the time so the achievement and trophy can pop up).

Oh man, the Iaito is so satisfying to use, but I get the feeling that someone swinging a big ass katana shouldn't be wearing a crappy leather breastplate along with a dirty dress and an ill-matching helmet.

Is there a more appropriate outfit for someone equipped with such a weapon?

hint: I'm looking for a samurai outfit.

edit: thanks Raxus

Ken

PeterVenkman said:
been trying the forest now - getting my skeleton punched out of my body by mushrooms. Do the guys right in front of the door respawn? all of those forest guardians who refuse to let me lock onto them? they each give me about 1-2k per kill, is that the location you mean?
Soul farming in the forest refers to exploiting the AI of the 4-5 Forest Hunter NPCs guarding the forest. You don't need to actually kill them or cross the ruins to the mushroom people.

@toasty: The only "Eastern" armors seem to be the ninja outfit and the Eastern Armor worn by Shiva.

Ken said:
Soul farming in the forest refers to exploiting the AI of the 4-5 Forest Hunter NPCs guarding the forest. You don't need to actually kill them or cross the ruins to the mushroom people.

must have missed that part, i've just been killing them. do they all follow you and run off a cliff or something?

CatPee

toasty_T said:
Oh man, the Iaito is so satisfying to use, but I get the feeling that someone swinging a big ass katana shouldn't be wearing a crappy leather breastplate along with a dirty dress and an ill-matching helmet.

Is there a more appropriate outfit for someone equipped with such a weapon?

hint: I'm looking for a samurai outfit.

edit: thanks Raxus

Yep, behind the Door in the Garden. Be prepared to do a suicide run for it though.

Ken

PeterVenkman said:
must have missed that part, i've just been killing them. do they all follow you and run off a cliff or something?
Yup, you can find videos on YouTube. The spot is right by the door in the corner between the steps and the drop.

Ken

Raxus said:
Yes you can always revisit covenants and yes you can join covenants you have declined (I do it all the time so the achievement and trophy can pop up).
You can't revisit Gwyndolin's covenant after stepping through his area's white fog so that's something to keep in mind.

Edit: woops, double post. Sorry.

scy

PeterVenkman said:

There's a total of 7 NPCs in the forest:

2x Ghost Knights (one at the door, one straight out)
1x Human Mage
1x Ghost Assassin (straight after the Mage, relatively close to the Cleric)
1x Human Cleric
1x Human Pyromancer
1x Pharis (Ghost Archer, back near the second Ghost Knight)

Of them, they all respawn but the
Knights and Pharis
. The only one with any loot is
Pharis
so don't have her fall off a cliff, lest you waste the loots
Twin Humanity, Black Bow of Pharis, Pharis' Hat

For the record, the end of the Tomb of the Giants is a good place to level as well (the tiny skeletons); they're only 121 base souls per kill but they respawn infinitely and drop Humanity. A bit of a pain to get there the very first time but pretty easy once you learn the layout. Just advice for the future, I suppose.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Starting to lose my will to play, unfortunately. =/ Shame, since I've only got the last half of Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith left before the endgame. Gonna have to try to force myself through it.

Ken

Seraphis Cain said:
Starting to lose my will to play, unfortunately. =/ Shame, since I've only got the last half of Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith left before the endgame. Gonna have to try to force myself through it.
You should take a break? I found that forcing myself through the end of games to ruin the enjoyment I could have gotten if I had taken a break and not try to rush through.

george_us

Seraphis Cain said:
I've just been using Arkham City as my break. I'm at Sen's Fortress and I just became obsessed with the game haha.

krakov

Oracle Dragon said:
That happened to me to; in that case just jump down the hole, you will land okay.

You will also cause Frampt to disappear for the rest of the game thought. Hitting him seems to be the less buggy way to deal with it.

Ken said:
Yup, you can find videos on YouTube. The spot is right by the door in the corner between the steps and the drop.

sweet jesus they're like lemmings.

scy said:
There's a total of 7 NPCs in the forest:

2x Ghost Knights (one at the door, one straight out)
1x Human Mage
1x Ghost Assassin (straight after the Mage, relatively close to the Cleric)
1x Human Cleric
1x Human Pyromancer
1x Pharis (Ghost Archer, back near the second Ghost Knight)

Of them, they all respawn but the
Knights and Pharis.
The only one with any loot is
Pharis
so don't have her fall off a cliff, lest you waste the loots
Twin Humanity, Black Bow of Pharis, Pharis' Hat.

For the record, the end of the Tomb of the Giants is a good place to level as well (the tiny skeletons); they're only 121 base souls per kill but they respawn infinitely and drop Humanity. A bit of a pain to get there the very first time but pretty easy once you learn the layout. Just advice for the future, I suppose.

interesting, will those skeletons respawn even if I'm wailing on them with divine weapons?

scy

PeterVenkman said:

I swear that
Pharis
is programmed to suicide dive her own damn self. 5 characters now through there and each time she immediately escapes melee to the nearest cliff. Every. Single. Time. I've yet to lose the body but damned if she doesn't try her best.

interesting, will those skeletons respawn even if I'm wailing on them with divine weapons?

Yup. They just constantly respawn. They do Toxic per hit, though, so that's something to keep in mind. Also,
the Pinwheel Servants here drop White Titanite Chunks and Slabs (very rarely). They also drop the +Equip Load, HP, or Stamina masks

PeterVenkman said:
Yeah, its pretty ridiculous. It actually isn't all that hard to kill them in combat. The only problem is getting each one on their own. There's a thief ghost who roams around who has a liking for backstabbing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Gah, how am I supposed to reach the Black Sorcerer Armor set in Sen's Fortress? I'm reading the official guide, I know where it is, but I'm not sure how I can access the area. The maps in this guide can get a little confusing.

Ken

toasty_T said:
Yeah, its pretty ridiculous. It actually isn't all that hard to kill them in combat. The only problem is getting each one on their own. There's a thief ghost who roams around who has a liking for backstabbing.

I suppose the difficulty would be from the human Forest Hunter players invading. I've invaded a few games with soul farmers.

Insaniac

ugh this games restrictions sometimes baffle me. Why can't I use my charcoal pine resin on my black knight sword? too OP if i put fire daamge on it? o_O

Ken said:
I suppose the difficulty would be from the human Forest Hunter players invading. I've invaded a few games with soul farmers.

and that's why I'm always in hollow form. Please tell me I'm safe in hollow form.

finishing the last part of siegmeyer's quest was hilarious
i killed all plant like monsters but one. weakened it to 40% and let him jump down. i followed immideately to lend him a hand, it took only one second or so. but then another shithead sneaks up on me and one hit kills me :( but i managed to see sieg finish it with just one hit as well. so when i got back he was still alive and taking a nap. i got the reward at ash lake and the bad ending. very sad.

Ken

Augemitbutter said:
i killed all plant like monsters but one. weakened it to 40% and let him jump down. i followed immideately to lend him a hand, it took only one second or so. but then another shithead sneaks up on me and one hit kills me :( but i managed to see sieg finish it with just one hit as well. so when i got back he was still alive and taking a nap. i got the reward at ash lake and the bad ending. very sad.

What's the ending in spoilers?

frequency

PeterVenkman said:
and that's why I'm always in hollow form. Please tell me I'm safe in hollow form.
No invasions in hollow form from either players or NPCs. So you miss out on some loot. There's no NPC invasions in that forest though.

Septimius

So, it seems I'm nearing some sort of branch. I have just obtained the lordvessel. Now it seems that
joining the Darkwraiths
is the evil ending of the game?? Does that mean I can't invade without beating the game the 'evil' way? Cause that's bullshit.

Does that mean that something will be different once I do all this lordvessel business, and progress further in the game?

If you have not defeated Orenstein and Smough in Anor Londo and received the Lordvessel from the Princess, you cannot enter Gravelord Nito's fog

Oh, what the fuck, game. Is there any reason for me to go to the catacombs, then?

EDIT: that one seriously annoyed me.

shaneskim

Oracle Dragon said:
Just do like 5-7 forest runs it should take under 15 minutes.

So many NPC aggro stories! Are you guys this twitchy in real life? "Yeah just the chips and I'll take a pack of Malbor--POW!! Oh my god! I'm so sorry, I don't know why I just did that, sorry sorry oh god!" ;)
I'm imagining that spoken in a Peter griffin voice. Lol

one85x

Jinfash said:
Gah, how am I supposed to reach the Black Sorcerer Armor set in Sen's Fortress? I'm reading the official guide, I know where it is, but I'm not sure how I can access the area. The maps in this guide can get a little confusing.
From the room that redirects the boulders, walk down the path that leads to the Gold Covetous Ring. On that first decline, you'll be able to jump onto a wooden platform with a mage snake. There's a doorway from there that will lead to the armor set.

I hope I can go through this one without using magic, Im just not a user of it with these games, I beat demon souls without using but did need help with some of the tough bosses, we'll see.

I'm at Ornstein and Smough.

It's like... WHAT THE HELL?!!!

The game got sort of easy on me which I didn't like, but this boss is just... damn.

frequency said:
I'm pretty sure every weapon ascends at +10

once you meet the base requirement, it will ascent regardless -- you can use a +14 sword for a +10 requirement to get a boss soul weapon, for example.

Other trees only require+5 -- fire, magic, raw, divine.
From there, you can go to +5 again with fire, magic, and divine branching to either +6 or chaos, enchanted, or occult.

--

If no-one answered the question about the chest in duke's archives, it's not worth the hassle. You have to drop off the staircase as it's turning, about when it's in line with the entrance (before it's over the bookshelf with the chest on it) you also need to kill all archers in the room before you do this (on all floor, preferably). It's the Avelyn crossbow. And if you don't kill those archers, it's quite possible they will kill you as you open the chest. True story, I died trying to get it and lost 31 humanity -- died on the way back again, so it was permanently gone and I decided I was getting that damn chest no matter what. Finally got the timing for the drop down and was opening the chest when I got shot in the back by an archer, took 80% of my life. I tried to estus and the second archer nailed me and I died. Learn from my mistakes, please. :)

--

Anyone who has NOT done both Nito and Bed of Chaos should be advised to do Bed of Chaos first -- if you're a mage, you get what I currently use as my main catalyst (Izalith catalyst), plus you can go get the sunlight maggot helmet, which is a permanent cast light.

Augemitbutter said:

I had this happen too -- sorta. I killed them all, and had it down at low health and let him jump in. I should have one shotted it with my bow as soon as he jumped down. But alas, I jumped down with him and by the time I hit it, it hit him below 50% health. So I got the same ending as you
and I killed his daughter out of frustration, but she doesn't drop that ring of his. :(

The best part of it was when they didn't show up where I was expecting them and I came in here to find you had to talk to him in the pit after he jumps down. So I go back to do it and I'm in the pit talking to him and I'll be damned if a single octopus doesn't respawn and it saw me and came to say hi when my back was turned. I turned away from him to run out of the pit and ate a face-full of acid mist. All my equipment busted and I couldn't do jack against it, I died and had to run back up there to murder it and get my green splotch. :lol

Zeth

This is going to end up my game of the year by a significant margin, and if you'd told me that earlier this year I'd be really surprised.

Just started a new save after 40 hours on my first DEX/Pyro, and playing through the first few hours is so incredibly satisfying. There's something this game experience gives you that I didn't even really know existed until I played Demon's Souls. I love learning every area and enemy placement, and attack pattern. On top of all this, the sheer amount of content is amazing.

Coming away from my 40+ hour journey to start and finish Arkham City in a few sittings was downright jarring. I appreciate the differences in the two titles but DkS has this certain spark of something that I can't quite put my finger on that keeps me coming back over and over, feeling strangely enthusiastic not only to finish the game, but to come back with new character(s) to play and learn the content again and again. It's a very special game to me and I haven't felt this way about a game in a long time.

Omotesando said:
So there is no Bonfire in New Londo Ruins (Lower)? My current bonfire is at Firelink Shrine.

Yeah, that's a pain, but you can use the bonfire in the Darkroot Basic (the one below/down from the Hydra). Where the bonfire is there's an elevator that takes you to Valley of the Drakes. In New Londo you can open some floodgates that in turn open the door in Valley of the Drakes, creating the "best" shortcut there. It's not super ideal, but it's faster than trekking it from Firelink each time.

hteng

Banned
Septimius said:
So, it seems I'm nearing some sort of branch. I have just obtained the lordvessel. Now it seems that
joining the Darkwraiths
is the evil ending of the game?? Does that mean I can't invade without beating the game the 'evil' way? Cause that's bullshit.

Does that mean that something will be different once I do all this lordvessel business, and progress further in the game?

If you have not defeated Orenstein and Smough in Anor Londo and received the Lordvessel from the Princess, you cannot enter Gravelord Nito's fog

Oh, what the fuck, game. Is there any reason for me to go to the catacombs, then?

walking away is the true ending, because you are giving man the chance to rule their own destiny without any gods. Linking the fire is pretty much just what Gwyn was already doing, you just replaced him, and you'll eventually gone mad like him. nothing changes.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Yeah, that's a pain, but you can use the bonfire in the Darkroot Basic (the one below/down from the Hydra). Where the bonfire is there's an elevator that takes you to Valley of the Drakes. In New Londo you can open some floodgates that in turn open the door in Valley of the Drakes, creating the "best" shortcut there. It's not super ideal, but it's faster than trekking it from Firelink each time.

Not really. Once you lower the water, if you don't have any reason to want the loot or to farm dark wraiths, there's absolutely no reason to go to lower new londo via the entrance in Valley of the Drakes. You run down from firelink -- when you get off the elevator, you trigger it so it goes back up in case you die, you run past (or kill) the ghosts on the first section but instead of taking the stairs, you drop down on the structure, then into the pit. A quick run up the stairs and you're in the building with 4 kings entrance. Takes <4 minutes, probably from the firelink bonfire and has *no* necessary fights (except, maybe, for a one time deal against the mass of souls in the big open space of the building before the fog door).

Septimius said:
joining the Darkwraiths

(1) Spoiler 1 just makes invading easier, as you can get an item that will allow you to do it at will instead of using cracked red eye orbs.
(2) Furthermore, you can invade choosing the other path, just a limited # of times based on the cracked red orbs you have -- but there are other covenants that allow you to invade at will as well, so basically, find a covenant you like if your goal is invading and go get the "good" ending if you want it.
(3) Regarding the catacombs, sure there's a reason -- you can get the rite of kindling to allow you to kindle bonfires to +2 and +3 netting you 15-20 estus flasks per rest. You can also get the loot and clear the way to make it a faster journey into the tomb of giants to take out Nito.

---

I asked earlier and didn't see a response -- Is +7 the max level for estus flask? I tried to go to +8 last night and was told I was at my limit.

Ken

KoreanBarbecue said:

I went from Firelink to New Londo, took the activated elevator in the first building with all the ghosts down to where the Darkwraiths are, and sprinted towards the Abyss. Took about 3-4 minutes a run though.

Miroku

Is there an upgrade to the regular old Talisman for casting miracles? I've defeated Bed of Chaos and havent found one yet.

Also, are there any respawning black knights anywhere?

I cant decide what weapons I want to spend my blue and red slabs on.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
one85x said:
From the room that redirects the boulders, walk down the path that leads to the Gold Covetous Ring. On that first decline, you'll be able to jump onto a wooden platform with a mage snake. There's a doorway from there that will lead to the armor set.
Ahhh, that Snake Mage. I totally forgot about him. The map made it seem close to the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring, so I kept heading there, searching for a way.

The guide is excellent, and so are the maps, but the way they break up floors and explain heights can get confusing at times.

Thanks a lot man.

Miroku said:
Is there an upgrade to the regular old Talisman for casting miracles? I've defeated Bed of Chaos and havent found one yet.

Also, are there any respawning black knights anywhere?

I cant decide what weapons I want to spend my blue and red slabs on.

No upgrades, you can buy better talismans though.
I don't remember where I got half of them, but I have about 5.
The one I prefer is Velka's talisman, which can be bought from the dude in the belltower of the undead church.

Also got a darkmoon one, maybe from reaching +1 in darkmoon covenant; an ivory one, gotten from murdering Rhea, a sunlight one which Solaire dropped when he went insane and attacked me... maybe I have more beyond this as well -- for the longest while, I was using the second talisman that Petrus sold, the Thoroughland or whatever it was that had a better magic adjust for low faith with no scaling.

frequency

corrosivefrost said:
once you meet the base requirement, it will ascent regardless -- you can use a +14 sword for a +10 requirement to get a boss soul weapon, for example.

Other trees only require+5 -- fire, magic, raw, divine.
From there, you can go to +5 again with fire, magic, and divine branching to either +6 or chaos, enchanted, or occult.
Interesting... I didn't know that. I always brought weapons to +10.

I didn't really do that much though. I found like 2 weapons that I liked the attack patterns of and just upgraded those to lightning and divine. I also upgraded some +10 sword to Quelaag's Furysword and another +10 to Artorias Greatsword. I guess I went further than I needed to and wasted some shards.

I feel bad for spreading misinformation.

As for talismans, I think the best one I found was in the Duke's Archives
in one of the cells. I think it was Rhea gone hollow because she disappeared from the church and it looks like her clothing. It has a white graphic. I can't remember what it's called.

Aeana

Jinfash said:
Ahhh, that Snake Mage. I totally forgot about him. The map made it seem close to the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring, so I kept heading there, searching for a way.

The guide is excellent, and so are the maps, but the way they break up floors and explain heights can get confusing at times.

Thanks a lot man.
I have quit even looking at the guide because the maps are so confusing. As dungeons get more complex with multiple layers, the guide just does not lay them out well and actually makes them look more confusing than they actually are. :\ I officially threw in the towel with Sen's Fortress, because that map makes no damn sense.

the painted world of aramis is god awful. of all the stages ive been to this far its easily the worst designed. ive opened up the short cuts, ive got the annex key....ive killed everyone, been everywhere....and i still cant get to the boss. i killed the zombie dragon and saw the big dinosaur behind him...yet i still cant unlock that door at the bottom that i believe will get to the boss.

Honestly...after Anor Londo this game is just getting worse and worse..

Timber

Phat Michael said:
the painted world of aramis is god awful. of all the stages ive been to this far its easily the worst designed. ive opened up the short cuts, ive got the annex key....ive killed everyone, been everywhere....and i still cant get to the boss. i killed the zombie dragon and saw the big dinosaur behind him...yet i still cant unlock that door at the bottom that i believe will get to the boss.

Honestly...after Anor Londo this game is just getting worse and worse..
NOPE

probably the best level in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom