• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

Phat Michael said:
the painted world of aramis is god awful. of all the stages ive been to this far its easily the worst designed. ive opened up the short cuts, ive got the annex key....ive killed everyone, been everywhere....and i still cant get to the boss. i killed the zombie dragon and saw the big dinosaur behind him...yet i still cant unlock that door at the bottom that i believe will get to the boss.

Honestly...after Anor Londo this game is just getting worse and worse..
Down stairs where the rolling skeletons with the wheels are, on one of the pillars there's a lever thingy. That opens the door that leads to the boss.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Phat Michael said:
the painted world of aramis is god awful. of all the stages ive been to this far its easily the worst designed. ive opened up the short cuts, ive got the annex key....ive killed everyone, been everywhere....and i still cant get to the boss. i killed the zombie dragon and saw the big dinosaur behind him...yet i still cant unlock that door at the bottom that i believe will get to the boss.

What? Dude, Painted World took me like an hour tops to get through. Did you
go down the well? The switch to open the door to the boss is down there

Phat Michael said:

The switch you need to press to open the door is in the well/sewer area with the rolling wheel skeletons. You press/push it and the statue in the courtyard turns and faces the door in the tower on the floor level, which then opens.

Alternately, you go go jump attack (forward+R2) the remaining portion of the undead dragon carcass to get it to stand up and let you hop down.

Timber said:
NOPE

probably the best level in the game.

alright. where do i have to go? how do i get that door to open down the bottom and does it lead to the boss? im just wasting time running around to the same old spots.

vilmer_

Phat Michael said:
alright. where do i have to go? how do i get that door to open down the bottom and does it lead to the boss? im just wasting time running around to the same old spots.

On the opposite side of the graveyard there is a set of stairs going up. Take those stairs and look for a ladder going down.

Seraphis Cain said:
What? Dude, Painted World took me like an hour tops to get through. Did you
go down the well? The switch to open the door to the boss is down there

ah cheers. i went down the well...found all the hidden pyro shit but didnt see the switch....ill go and look again

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Wow, if you're hating Painted.. you're in for such a treat with New Londo, ToTG, Crystal Caves, Demon's Ruins, and Lost Izalith!

Have fun!

GJS

Phat Michael said:
You don't even need to open that door.

Miroku

@corrosiveFrost

I've quickly tried the
sunlight
one, but its not as good as the regular talisman @31 Faith. I'll take another look at the purchasable one from the vendor in the belltower. I never bought the Thorolund talisman from Petrus before I killed him, but I looked at the numbers and it didn't look as good as the regular talisman. I'll probably end up trying it anyways in NG+
I guess I'll try killing Rhea for her's as well

I think its kind of lame that I've found all sort of catalysts throughout the game but no interesting talismans.

So.... At what point does the iaito become this god tier weapon it's supposed to be? Its stats are better at base than my bandit knife +5 but it's a much slower moveset and the backstabs are only about 50% of what my bandit knife is doing. Plus the larger size has me hitting obstacles much more frequently.

Amidoingitwrong.gif

P.S. My strength is at 14, dex 25

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
NervousXtian said:
Wow, if you're hating Painted.. you're in for such a treat with New Londo, ToTG, Crystal Caves, Demon's Ruins, and Lost Izalith!

Have fun!

Yeah...man. Just going by how frustrated I got with some of those parts, I'm tempted to start a betting pool for how long it takes Phat Michael to ragequit for good. :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Unconditional said:
make the boar run into the fires for a pretty easy kill but before that lure anyone you can 1 by 1 and take them out. Including the archers so you can move around freely. you will pick up a knight shield soon that will make things a bit easier for that area.

Ooh. I am starting to realize most encounters are not face-to face battles but workarounds. Gotta wrap my head around that. Thanks for the tips :p!

Aeana

Phat Michael said:

For what it's worth, I agree that the painted world was awful. I also had a hard time finding the switch, and those wheel skeletons are just hell for a sorcerer who can't block anything.

Timber

fuck a titanite slab

went through new londo three times with item ring and ten humanity and my total spoils were one (1) titanite CHUNK

:(

Zeliard

Painted World is one of the best levels in either Souls game. I loved its melancholic nature.

DigitalDevil said:
So.... At what point does the iaito become this god tier weapon it's supposed to be? Its stats are better at base than my bandit knife +5 but it's a much slower moveset and the backstabs are only about 50% of what my bandit knife is doing. Plus the larger size has me hitting obstacles much more frequently.

Amidoingitwrong.gif

P.S. My strength is at 14, dex 25

It's not "much slower" than anything, even daggers. Iaito will often hit an enemy even if you both swing at the same time. It has some of the quickest and most useful attack patterns in the game.

Take it down the lightning path at +10 and you'll see the light. :>

vilmer_

Omotesando said:
I love my Raw Battle Axe 5+, but I like to upgrade to the great Axe since I posses the strength to wield it. Axes never get old.

I'm currently wielding a Fire Greataxe and absolutely love it. It does incredible damage and the crushing sound it makes when it slams into the ground is glorious!

Wool

Miroku said:
@corrosiveFrost

I've quickly tried the
sunlight
one, but its not as good as the regular talisman @31 Faith. I'll take another look at the purchasable one from the vendor in the belltower. I never bought the Thorolund talisman from Petrus before I killed him, but I looked at the numbers and it didn't look as good as the regular talisman. I'll probably end up trying it anyways in NG+
I guess I'll try killing Rhea for her's as well

I think its kind of lame that I've found all sort of catalysts throughout the game but no interesting talismans.

What is the regular one called? I have the sunlight one, and just got the "ivory" talisman, but according to the stats they are identical in every way.

Also, that ring that boosts miracle "synergy" is some bullshit. What are the odds that I will be casting the same miracle at the same time as someone else in the same spot as me?

Kyoufu

Phat Michael said:
ah cheers. i went down the well...found all the hidden pyro shit but didnt see the switch....ill go and look again

So basically, blame the game because you have no idea where to go (not sure how you could get lost tbh).

Sounds reasonable.

Almak

Nito was a little too easy without his
reanimating skeletons
(the first of the dead my ass). So far, Ornstein and Smough posed the greatest challenge in the game for me, though only due to them being together.
The most memorable fight, was the Gaping Dragon. When at some point he
swiped me up with one of his front paws and dropped me into his ridiculous teeth mouth...thing
I just started laughing because at this point I didn't expect to survive that but I came out on the other end of that animation with something ridiculously low (must have been no more than 1/2 HP, since I saw no red in that bar). Managed to beat him on my first try after that, so satisfying.
Really enjoying the game so far, despite my original suspicion that I wouldn't at all. Now on to The Duke's Archives.

Aeana

Kyoufu said:
So basically, blame the game because you have no idea where to go (not sure how you could get lost tbh).
Generally if you don't know where to go in a game after an extended period, you do blame the game [designers] for not making something clear enough.

Although in the case of the painted world, I didn't find it because I totally forgot about that big open room in the first place, so I don't blame anybody but myself.

Phat Michael said:

There is a ladder by the well in the courtyard that opens the way to the boss.

It's my favorite level aesthetically. As far as the level and enemies, it's stock but not awful.

That said, the game does get worse after Anor Londo.

Kyoufu

Aeana said:
so I don't blame anybody but myself.

If only this was the case with other people.

I try to be as helpful as I can here but it's really difficult going through some of these posts. Too much irrationality. Oh well.

Whenever you dudes get to the boss, cut the tail off for a weapon.

Finalow

ok.
how. the. fuck. should. i. win? I'm against those fucking 4 kings.
i used Iron Flesh, ok, i have 3 of this magic and it's not enough, i can barely kill the second king.
then i tried to summon someone, after 30 minutes i found 2 guys, ok, 3 vs them. NO. WE LOSE 'cause even if we killed 3 of them they were 3 on the battlefield.
this is so insane, i spent 3 hours and i did nothing.

how the hell can i win at the ng+ difficulty? And if it wasn't for this but i could finish the game days ago.
THANKS FROM SOFTWARE.

frequency

finalozzo said:
ok.
i used Iron Flesh, ok, i have 3 of this magic and it's not enough, i can barely kill the second king.
then i tried to summon someone, after 30 minutes i found 2 guys, ok, 3 vs them. NO. WE LOSE 'cause even if we killed 3 of them they were 3 on the battlefield.

how the hell can i win at the ng+ difficulty? And if it wasn't for this but i could finish the game days ago.
THANKS FROM SOFTWARE.
What weapon are you using? Maybe you need to upgrade it if you can't kill them fast enough.

I used the stamina regen shield and 2 handed a Greatsword of Artorias +4 or something for that fight. It was easy then.

Kyoufu

finalozzo said:
ok.

THANKS FROM SOFTWARE.

You have to put on some heavy armor, then the Grass Crest Shield or chug a Green Blossom. Then 2 hand your weapon and keep attacking. Only stop attacking to heal, not block or evade.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
finalozzo said:
ok.

THANKS FROM SOFTWARE.

Honestly man, I'm beyond impressed that you've gotten as far as you have given the circumstances.

Don't have any advice, just wanted to say that. :D

vilmer_

finalozzo said:
ok.

THANKS FROM SOFTWARE.

The key to the fight is to kill each one as fast as possible. I had difficulty doing this my first few times but as a melee build, but eventually I was able to burn them down fast enough wielding an upgraded two-handed weapon. Don't try to block/roll, just hammer down on those asses.

x3r0123

finalozzo said:
ok.

THANKS FROM SOFTWARE.

use gear with high poise? o_O and block that magic blast. max your flasks

Septimius

corrosivefrost said:
(1) Spoiler 1 just makes invading easier, as you can get an item that will allow you to do it at will instead of using cracked red eye orbs.
(2) Furthermore, you can invade choosing the other path, just a limited # of times based on the cracked red orbs you have -- but there are other covenants that allow you to invade at will as well, so basically, find a covenant you like if your goal is invading and go get the "good" ending if you want it.
(3) Regarding the catacombs, sure there's a reason -- you can get the rite of kindling to allow you to kindle bonfires to +2 and +3 netting you 15-20 estus flasks per rest. You can also get the loot and clear the way to make it a faster journey into the tomb of giants to take out Nito.

---

I asked earlier and didn't see a response -- Is +7 the max level for estus flask? I tried to go to +8 last night and was told I was at my limit.

Yes, 7 is max.

Where can I buy cracked eye orbs then?

And how the hell do I get out of The Catacombs?

Kyoufu

Septimius said:
Yes, 7 is max.

Where can I buy cracked eye orbs then?

And how the hell do I get out of The Catacombs?

You can buy them from the Darkwraith Covenant guy at the Abyss, or you can just join the covenant for the infinite use orb!

Seraphis Cain said:
Yeah...man. Just going by how frustrated I got with some of those parts, I'm tempted to start a betting pool for how long it takes Phat Michael to ragequit for good. :lol

i wont ragequit...and im very high leveled. im not dying im just getting lost with some of the level design. i dont know...for the first 30 hours of the game (up to Anor Londo) i loved it....then after that its just....i dunno less fun.

frequency

Phat Michael said:
i wont ragequit...and im very high leveled. im not dying im just getting lost with some of the level design. i dont know...for the first 30 hours of the game (up to Anor Londo) i loved it....then after that its just....i dunno less fun.
A lot of people in these threads have expressed disappointment or frustration at the level design of the later areas.

As for the Painted World, I think it's easy to miss that lever/switch thingy. It's pretty dark down there and it's on one of several pillars. I only saw it because someone left a message.

I never got frustrated with any of the battles/bosses in this game. But the level design in many of the areas had me putting down my controller for a break.
Complete darkness, invisible floors, and enemies that clip through walls aren't fun.

Baha

Just about to wrap up my 1st playthrough, over 110 hours played since I farmed titanite slabs, shards, humanity, souvenirs of reprisals and sun medals. I am prepped for NG though and I got the sunlight maggot so Tomb of Giants won't be so painful on my next visit.

Kyoufu

Phat Michael said:

I think you should quit now because Painted World is the easiest to navigate through out of all the endgame areas.

Finalow

frequency said:
What weapon are you using? Maybe you need to upgrade it if you can't kill them fast enough.

I used the stamina regen shield and 2 handed a Greatsword of Artorias +4 or something for that fight. It was easy then.
i'm using the black knight greataxe+4, one of the best weapon of the game.
even with a good armor they are too fast, can't kill them alone 'cause when i finish one 2 kings are already in the battlefield.

scy

Aeana said:
For what it's worth, I agree that the painted world was awful. I also had a hard time finding the switch, and those wheel skeletons are just hell for a sorcerer who can't block anything.

Barring the Endurance pool issue, Blocking is pretty much stat independent. Now, if you're blocking with a non-100% shield...

That said, my first time down there I got stun blocking a wheel hit until it ate all my endurance, staggered me, and then I died. Immediately went out and upgraded my shield for better Stability :/

Timber said:
fuck a titanite slab

went through new londo three times with item ring and ten humanity and my total spoils were one (1) titanite CHUNK

:(

God, I know, right? I wish there was a bonfire there just for the convenience of faster respawns :/ Gold Serpent Ring + 30 Humanity and I got like two chunks over the course of two hours; I got a slab and like 10 Chunks when I was trying to do the boss fight.

Miroku

rdelaney said:
What is the regular one called? I have the sunlight one, and just got the "ivory" talisman, but according to the stats they are identical in every way.

Also, that ring that boosts miracle "synergy" is some bullshit. What are the odds that I will be casting the same miracle at the same time as someone else in the same spot as me?

Its just called "Talisman"

And at 31 faith a Great Lightning Spear does more damage with it than with any of the end game talismans I've gotten. There is one talisman sold by
Patches
but I killed his ass so I dont know if thats good

Finalow

x3r0123 said:
use gear with high poise? o_O and block that magic blast. max your flasks
i'm using smough armor and i have 20 flasks at +5.
maybe i can find the firekeeper soul at new londo ruins, where is it?

Finalow

Seraphis Cain said:
Honestly man, I'm beyond impressed that you've gotten as far as you have given the circumstances.

Don't have any advice, just wanted to say that. :D
thanks, well i have nothing else to play so i'm trying to go on. D=
can't say that it's easy.

scy

finalozzo said:

...define best. It has high output but low DPS due to the swing speed. It pairs well with Captain America shield, though.

...even with a good armor they are too fast, can't kill them alone 'cause when i finish one 2 kings are already in the battlefield.

Sprint at them, Iron Flesh (or not, it's not that necessary) when in range, two hand and wail on them in their dead zone. I do think that NG+
lowers the time between their spawns, though, so the fight can get hectic pretty fast.

As for the Fire Keeper soul, it's at the
start of the area. There's a narrow strip of land leading to it off of the first spot with the two ghosts.

Finalow

Augemitbutter said:
do you get the moonlight butterfly soul automatically after the kill? i can't find mine from this playthrough. i'm totally confused right now.
yes, you do.
not surprised if that's a bug.

Zeliard

finalozzo said:
thanks, well i have nothing else to play so i'm trying to go on. D=
can't say that it's easy.

So does that mean your real NG+ will be an extra 40% difficulty on top of this playthrough? lol

frequency

finalozzo said:
even with a good armor they are too fast, can't kill them alone 'cause when i finish one 2 kings are already in the battlefield.
Maybe that weapon is too slow even though it hits hard? I didn't use any of those really heavy weapons because of the speed. Do you have a strong faster weapon to try the fight with?

Augemitbutter said:
do you get the moonlight butterfly soul automatically after the kill? i can't find mine from this playthrough. i'm totally confused right now.
It's like any other boss soul. You just sort of get it after you kill them.

Must be something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom