• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

frequency said:
Maybe that weapon is too slow even though it hits hard? I didn't use any of those really heavy weapons because of the speed. Do you have a strong faster weapon to try the fight with?
this weapon is pretty fast, that's why it's great.
heavy but pretty fast.

Abooie

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I think you should quit now because Painted World is the easiest to navigate through out of all the endgame areas.

I did the Painted World today and I found it one of the best levels. With the shortcuts it reminded me of the early game areas.

Dresden

The Black Knight greataxe is wonderful stuff - it's a greataxe that swings like a reguar one-hander, with wide horizontal sweeps for R1 and a leaping vertical for R2. Also looks cool.

Stuck at +4 for me because I need one more Twinkling Titanite but the clams refuse to cough them up for me.
Darklord said:
Is Iron Flesh worth getting for the first pyro spell? Or something else?
Iron Flesh makes a lot of the later bosses a joke. Wonderful spell.

The_Monk

Hey guys I posted this in the Community thread but maybe this is the right place.

The_Monk said:
Hello Gaf, so I finally beat the
gaping dragon
Not even a trophy? Pffft...

Anyway, I went to Blighttown took down several stairs but it seems I'm needing something.

The
poison
is killing me, do I need a ring or something?

I just got the bottomless box too. How much for: ringing the second bell, get the item so I can go from firelink to firelink?

Any help regarding these and the above is much appreciated. It's dark, there's tiny things flying and the game does not like this world. Plus after I go several stairs there's some sort of
swam water that I soon I enter it's poisoned all over..

Give me some light's GAF, please. Thank you!

test_account

XP-39C²
Is it possible to "escape"
Anor Londo
once you get there? I have no chance to beat the first boss, so i want to go back and do some more leveling up. Beating the enemies already there is so tiresome because their shields block my magic.

I have tried to summon
Knight Soliare, but he just keeps losing a lot of life on those two knights (and it is hard for me to take them out with magic, they also heal themself)
. I've also tried to lay down my soap stone, but no one ever summons me. I've also looked for other summon signs, but i find none.

aasoncott

I just gained the ability to learn some Pyromancy (through
Laurentius
)... what's worth learning? The wikis have pretty much no information on what spells are effective. I remember reading that I should just stick with the basic Fireball and focus on upgrading my Flame, but then I also read that Combustion does 75% the damage of the Fireball but gives you twice as many uses. I only have attunement to bring a single spell with me, so... what's my best option?

Stealth edit: I see I should also be getting Iron Flesh...

frequency

Darklord said:
Is Iron Flesh worth getting for the first pyro spell? Or something else?
Darklord said:
Would it be worth buying when I'm still in the Depths?
I only used it for one fight way later in the game. I would probably buy other pyro spells if souls are an issue at that point.

I think the pyro spell I used the most was Combustion/Great Combustion. It does pretty good damage and has a really fast cast time.

Dresden

test_account said:
Is it possible to "escape"
Anor Londo
once you get there? I have no chance to beat the first boss, so i want to go back and do some more level up. Beating the enemies already that is so tiresome because their shields block my magic. I've tried to summon
Knight Soliare, but he just keeps losing a lot of life on those two knights (and it is hard for me to take them out with magic, they also heal themself)
. I've also tried to lay down my soap stone, but no one ever summons me. I've also looked for other summon signs, but i find none.
Yeah, just go back to where the demons dropped you off, talk to the thing there.

Kyoufu

The_Monk said:
Hey guys I posted this in the Community thread but maybe this is the right place.

You absolutely need to use the Spider Shield you (hopefully) picked up from Depths. If not then go get it at Valley of Drakes on a bridge. You can then block poison darts.

Aeana

scy said:
Barring the Endurance pool issue, Blocking is pretty much stat independent. Now, if you're blocking with a non-100% shield...

That said, my first time down there I got stun blocking a wheel hit until it ate all my endurance, staggered me, and then I died. Immediately went out and upgraded my shield for better Stability :/
I have a 100% shield (crest shield). But what happens is that my endurance is used up almost immediately which cuts into my health. I don't have a lot of endurance. I may raise it a little later, once I get my INT to 50 (only 3 more levels!).

Kyoufu

Aeana said:
I have a 100% shield (crest shield). But what happens is that my endurance is used up almost immediately which cuts into my health. I don't have a lot of endurance. I may raise it a little later, once I get my INT to 50 (only 3 more levels!).

You should upgrade your favourite shield. The higher stability rating the less stamina you lose on a block.

x3r0123

Darklord said:
One last question. I have enough souls to buy another spell. Fire Orb, Combustion or Flash Sweat. What's best?

combustion, make sure you upgrade that glove otherwise you will do shit damage

Zeliard

I'm loving the Silver Knight Shield. Just a shame it uses Twinkling Tits, though it's understandable.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Go farm Purple Moss and Blooming Purple Moss from the Darkroot Garden.

For blooming it might be more efficient to grind souls instead and then buy them from the aqueducts merchant. The trees drop lots of regular purple and bloodred moss but blooming can be rare.

And yeah be sure to snag a Spider Shield before heading into Blighttown.

frequency

vilmer_ said:
Wow those skeleteon dog/cat things in the later stages of the Tomb of the Giants hit like a ton of shit bricks!
Yeah. I dealt with them by throwing a Fire Orb at the maximum distance that I can be to hit them. It's far enough away that they don't aggro, and my Fire Orb at that point was good enough to 1 hit kill.

Ghost23

No way, the dude that drops the lightning spear fell down a hole. I followed him and died. Can I never get it now? This is the supidest crap ever. Screw this game

Dresden

FuzzyNorman said:
No way, the dude that drops the lightning spear fell down a hole. I followed him and died. Can I never get it now? This is the supidest crap ever. Screw this game
It's only a shitty lightning weapon, you can craft a far better one. /soothe

Gattsu25

Banned
Progress update with my new character (abandoned old character due to a bad spec) including the order in which I tackled the zones:
This time I started off as a thief (for the free master key) and quickly became a pyro. Joined the Chaos Servant cult and have the cult's level 2 shortcut already unlocked. Physical damage is so unimpressive now. Fire <3

Undead Burg - Done - I really like this area. Good intro to the game
Blighttown - Done - I think this area could have been one of the best in the game if the framerate was better. I consider this an easy boss fight
Demon Ruins - I killed the ceaseless discharge boss and, later, unlocked the shortcut to Lost Izalith
Great Hollow - Done - Not much to say about here. A short area with environmental dangers aplenty. More of a passageway between two zones than a zone to itself
Ash Lake - Done - one of the best looking areas I've seen so far. Love this place
Undead Parish - Done - I also enjoyed here but it was too short. Beat Capra on the first try, this time
The Depths - Done - enjoyable zone. I've only ever been cursed when I wanted to try out the status ailment (to tackle the initial section of New Londo)
The Undead Asylum - Completed most of here before entering Blightown but finished the boss around here.
Sen's Fortress - Done - Truly one of the best zones in the game. I loved this place
Anor Londo - Done - I had fun here. For the boss fight I killed the skinny dude and got his item, died, killed the fat dude first this time (no item -_- ) and finally killed the super saiyan skinny dude (I did this because I felt the powered up fat guy I felt was too hard to avoid).
Catacombs - Done - I like this area. Racing to the necromancer/torchwielders with an army of skeletons behind me was a fun experience. I didn't even get a chance to see the boss' attacks. So easy.
Tomb of the Giants - Up to the boss room, not sure what to expect from the fight*.
New Londo Ruins - Same as above

This has to be one of the most intimidating and tension building areas I've ever experienced in a game. The only experience that comes to mind was when I mostly explored Ifrit's Cauldron in FF11 as a low level character.

scy

Kyoufu said:

I'm not sure the point of this? I have a character with it, I know how the weapon works. It's still a bit slow for my tastes, though was more just poking at the "best" used there since it's pretty much preference for PvE. Though, all things considered, it's actually not that slow, I suppose...

Really, though, there's not much to fear from
Four Kings
once you're in the dead zone. Well, besides the PBAoE. Not much advice to be given besides "run in, swing. Iron Flesh if you need the durability." It is a rather simple fight in the execution, just requires a lot of output.

Aeana said:

Endurance should pretty much always be raised. Which is a bit of a shame; feels weird that basically every character I ever make never really has a reason to not get to at least 30 Endurance :/

Dresden

scy said:
Endurance should pretty much always be raised. Which is a bit of a shame; feels weird that basically every character I ever make never really has a reason to not get to at least 30 Endurance :/
Kind of a bummer but you can get by with a lower endurance - one of my characters is almost done with the game at 13 endurance or so, can't remember the exact number right now. It's just easier with high endurance and a nice shield though.

The_Monk

Kyoufu said:
You absolutely need to use the Spider Shield you (hopefully) picked up from Depths. If not then go get it at Valley of Drakes on a bridge. You can then block poison darts.

Yes I have that. Is it enough? Will that be enough? I'm close to any boss in that area?

yeb

finalozzo said:
i'm using smough armor and i have 20 flasks at +5.
maybe i can find the firekeeper soul at new londo ruins, where is it?
Switch to Havel's armor, it has better poise and better magic defense.

Also, have you tried using the Crystal Ring Shield? It could be a huge help.

Aeana said:
100% doesn't mean much, every decent shield has that. The good ones have high stability and upgrade to even higher, it dramatically reduces the stamina cost for blocking, so you won't need as much endurance.

Don

I was reading that in the Painted World if you kill the NPC Black Phantom and the boss then the NPC's armour should appear just after the boss arena, but I'm just after killing them both and can't see it anywhere.

All I done was kill the BP, go to the bonfire, then went straight to the boss and killed it.

scy

Dresden said:
Kind of a bummer but you can get by with a lower endurance - one of my characters is almost done with the game at 13 endurance or so, can't remember the exact number right now. It's just easier with high endurance and a nice shield though.

It's not impossible, just means less cool armor*. It bugs me, actually, that my VIT and Endurance bars are completely unmatched :(

*Or just wear Gold-hemmed (+ Antiquated Skirt, because it's awesome) anyway; I do it half the time even at 40 Endurance so I don't have to hear CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK.

Zeliard

scy said:

I don't think it's that weird since stamina is at the core of the combat system.

I always prioritize Endurance over Vitality for PvE. I find VIT only really comes into play in PvP. For a PvE build I pretty much ignore VIT entirely. With this character I think I've only put one or two points into it.

Kyoufu

The_Monk said:
Yes I have that. Is it enough? Will that be enough? I'm close to any boss in that area?

All you do is go to Blighttown from the Valley of Drakes. Take all the ladders down then when you're on swamp level, from the water wheel hug the left wall and you should see the bonfire.

From the bonfire, facing swamp, go north-east past the rock throwers and into the boss's lair. Simple!

Mihos

Gold Member
Four Kings whooping up on me consistantly. I will try the heavy armor thing next. I am sure I am just doing it wrong. Other than the wolf, I haven't had much problem with the others.

Does anyone one else feel bad when they summon someone in to help and fail miserably? I always give it good 4 or 5 tried before summoning since I hate getting someone else killed!

Booshka

I barely pulled off the NG+
Four Kings
fight in my first try, I summoned Witch Beatrice, and I think she helped just enough, I was barely taking them out before they started
multiplying
. I made the mistake of not having the Grass Crest Shield on my back though, so for NG++ I'll remember to do that.

I am also using the BK Great Axe, and 4 hits using 2H did about 2200 damage, but the
Four Kings
have a lot more health on NG+ so I was just barely taking them out before they
multiplied
. For NG++, I might try just throwing the Crystal Ring Shield at them over and over.

Dresden

Mihos said:
Four Kings whooping up on me consistantly. I will try the heavy armor thing next. I am sure I am just doing it wrong. Other than the wolf, I haven't had much problem with the others.

Does anyone one else feel bad when they summon someone in to help and fail miserably? I always give it good 4 or 5 tried before summoning since I hate getting someone else killed!
I feel bad when I get summoned at the bridge in Anor Londo and they're just starting that place. Not because I don't like helping, but because most of the time it'll end prematurely at the knight archers. >.>

Miroku

Don said:
I was reading that in the Painted World if you kill the NPC Black Phantom and the boss then the NPC's armour should appear just after the boss arena, but I'm just after killing them both and can't see it anywhere.

All I done was kill the BP, go to the bonfire, then went straight to the boss and killed it.

Its right near the plank you would walk off to leave the zone on a corpse

Don

Miroku said:
Its right near the plank you would walk off to leave the zone on a corpse
There wasn't any corpse there when I checked, but I just went back to the bonfire again there now and when I came back it appeared.

The_Monk

Kyoufu said:
All you do is go to Blighttown from the Valley of Drakes. Take all the ladders down then when you're on swamp level, from the water wheel hug the left wall and you should see the bonfire.

From the bonfire, facing swamp, go north-east past the rock throwers and into the boss's lair. Simple!

Thanks! I'm I closer to ring the 2nd bell or not even close yet?

Where is the bonfire in the swamp in blighttown? I'm having trouble finding it and I'm really tired of working my way down here from the last bonfire...

Tilian

Banned
Anybody here become a member of the
Forest Hunter Covenant, get summoned, defeat the intruder,
and score a HUGE amount of souls? I got around 600,000 souls in one session, and then about the same amount again an hour later. I leveled up 19 levels to SL 112!

I wonder if this is a fluke, or if they were carrying that many souls?

Zeliard

54-46! said:
Is the Silver knight shield the best parry shield in the game?

I think it's up there along with the Hollow Soldier Shield. At +5 the Silver Knight Shield has a stability of 83. And it comes with 75% fire resistance and 65% lightning resistance. Its only real downside is it uses Twinkling Titanites.

Booshka

54-46! said:
Is the Silver knight shield the best parry shield in the game?
Probably, but you can take a Hollow Soldier Shield to +15 and it will have 85 stability, and it is a lot easier to +15 something, than it is to +5 with Twinkling Titanite.

So, I continued my early game (just after ringing the first bell) catacombs romp last night and actually got quite far. I reached the second bonfire and found some nice loot. I also joined the
Gravelord
covenant. Does anyone know if the miracle and sword can be used even if you leave the covenant? And also, has anyone tried the Gravelord PVP stuff? Is it any fun?

54-46!

Booshka said:
Probably, but you can take a Hollow Soldier Shield to +15 and it will have 85 stability, and it is a lot easier to +15 something, than it is to +5 with Twinkling Titanite.
Zeliard said:
I think it's up there along with the Hollow Soldier Shield. At +5 the Silver Knight Shield has a stability of 83. And it comes with 75% fire resistance and 65% lightning resistance. Its only real downside is it uses Twinkling Titanites.
Shame.. both of them are pretty ugly, I still run around with the Crest shield because it looks better heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom