• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the soul of the moonlight butterfly is gone from my inventory but i can use it for forging nonetheless?

i'm speechless.

i'm pretty sure i had two souls stacked from previous and current playthrough before i made the shield, so there might be a problem.

frequency

Ghost_Protocol said:
After 50 hours, ive come to a conclusion. I miss the nexus....
Me too. I loved that the Nexus kept getting more populated as I saved people and stuff.
But Firelink Shrine
just gets more barren with everyone running off and going hollow. I think there were like 3 people left by the end of the game

Those bell gargoyles are assholes. Right before dying last time i got a weapon from his tail. Is that any good? What should my strategy be? I'm at level 22 I'm a pyromancer dude if that helps

vilmer_ said:
The key to the fight is to kill each one as fast as possible. I had difficulty doing this my first few times but as a melee build, but eventually I was able to burn them down fast enough wielding an upgraded two-handed weapon. Don't try to block/roll, just hammer down on those asses.

I just beat them hammering with the axe, charcoal resin and Green blossom, two hand and chip away, keeping an eye out for their special abilites, which can take time off you doing damage to them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
aargh, I wish rosencrantz and guildenstern *were* dead

Fast one is not too bad, although I don't have any shield that is 100% lightning resistant. But that fat bastard in the second round is just impossible.

Booshka

hydrophilic attack said:
So, I continued my early game (just after ringing the first bell) catacombs romp last night and actually got quite far. I reached the second bonfire and found some nice loot. I also joined the
Gravelord
covenant. Does anyone know if the miracle and sword can be used even if you leave the covenant? And also, has anyone tried the Gravelord PVP stuff? Is it any fun?
Yes you can use the Miracle and Sword without being in the Covenant, the Miracle kinda sucks though, sword is very good though. My friend tried out the Gravelord PvP a little bit, and he had a few fun experiences, but it is very inconsistent, and he was having trouble connecting and getting it to work. Like most of this game's MP, it sounds good in theory, but doesn't work very well in practice.

GeekyDad

MrGame&Watch said:
Those bell gargoyles are assholes. Right before dying last time i got a weapon from his tail. Is that any good? What should my strategy be? I'm at level 22 I'm a pyromancer dude if that helps

Lucky you. I got killed before I could pick up the item drop from his tail.

Kyoufu

Booshka said:
Probably, but you can take a Hollow Soldier Shield to +15 and it will have 85 stability, and it is a lot easier to +15 something, than it is to +5 with Twinkling Titanite.

Not true. Twinkling is much easier to get than Titanite Slab, and you only need to get it to +5, instead of +15 for hollow.

Kyoufu said:
So basically, blame the game because you have no idea where to go (not sure how you could get lost tbh).

Sounds reasonable.

no, there are times within this game that i blamed the games short comings. for all its greatness, the game has some glaring design and programming errors and it really isnt perfect.

im sorry someone dared criticise your amazing game....but in some ways this game really isnt up to par. in a majority of ways, its excellent. i didnt get lost...i was in a dark room in the sewer and didnt see that lever. i explored all the caverns and got what i needed and left. it wasnt precisely an easy thing to find either.

im not the only person who has complained about the last half of the game, the frame rate in blight town, the Capra demon boss who has a big chance of luck involved and the last few stages (that i havent been to yet).

Also, the game doesnt explain a lot, im not expecting a yellow trail guiding me to the next level but i really dont think some parts of the game are well explained enough.

I enjoyed the first 30 hours....but now i find im playing the game just to finish the game so i can be done with it. i feel no compulsion to go through it again in NG+ either. going through blight town again or the sewers or the painted world...no chance in hell.

Kyoufu

Augemitbutter said:
so the soul of the moonlight butterfly is gone from my inventory but i can use it for forging nonetheless?

i'm speechless.

i'm pretty sure i had two souls stacked from previous and current playthrough before i made the shield, so there might be a problem.

You gave it to the blacksmith, why would you be carrying it?

Kyoufu

Augemitbutter said:
is it just like an ember? if so, then i'll take everything back. i thought it was a regular soul.

Yeah the blacksmiths will ask for the boss souls you've obtained, just like embers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh, and I loved the bit in Anor Londo leading up to, and after, the painting. Going through the church, carefully pulling and picking off one GI Joe ninja after another to work my way to the painting. Finish that level and get back to the church to be faced with what seemed to be hundreds of fucking ninjas! I just froze for about 10 seconds until I figured they weren't movie, then just ran for the exit. Phew.

Kyoufu said:
I think you should quit now because Painted World is the easiest to navigate through out of all the endgame areas.

or you could stop being such an idiot and let me try and finish this game and see if i enjoy it?

im sorry if my ability to traverse dark souls is not as great as yours....but telling someone to quit? please. i want to finish it like i did demon's souls just to say i have and knowing i got the most of out of the game.

Commenting negatively about the design of a level is not a personal attack on you so you shouldnt treat it like one and get so defensive.

Ghost23

I ignored the cat in the forest which I now know is a covenant. I said no, so am I screwed with trying to join that covenant?

Zeliard

54-46! said:
Shame.. both of them are pretty ugly, I still run around with the Crest shield because it looks better heh.

Crest Shield is nice due to its whopping 80% magic resistance but its stability rating even when fully upgraded takes a beating to compensate for that. Still a nice shield and I always keep it in my inventory.

Kyoufu said:
Not true. Twinkling is much easier to get than Titanite Slab, and you only need to get it to +5, instead of +15 for hollow.

Yeah my Silver Knight Shield is at +4 without farming, and I failed miserably with the crystal lizards in Great Hollow as well. Need another 3 to get it to +5, hopefully I can get them without farming.

Gattsu25

Banned
Zeth said:
This is going to end up my game of the year by a significant margin, and if you'd told me that earlier this year I'd be really surprised.

Just started a new save after 40 hours on my first DEX/Pyro, and playing through the first few hours is so incredibly satisfying. There's something this game experience gives you that I didn't even really know existed until I played Demon's Souls. I love learning every area and enemy placement, and attack pattern. On top of all this, the sheer amount of content is amazing.

Coming away from my 40+ hour journey to start and finish Arkham City in a few sittings was downright jarring. I appreciate the differences in the two titles but DkS has this certain spark of something that I can't quite put my finger on that keeps me coming back over and over, feeling strangely enthusiastic not only to finish the game, but to come back with new character(s) to play and learn the content again and again. It's a very special game to me and I haven't felt this way about a game in a long time.
This doesn't surprise me at all: just judging by your avatar, you have good taste in games.

Tilian

Banned
mrklaw said:
oh, and I loved the bit in Anor Londo leading up to, and after, the painting. Going through the church, carefully pulling and picking off one GI Joe ninja after another to work my way to the painting. Finish that level and get back to the church to be faced with what seemed to be hundreds of fucking ninjas! I just froze for about 10 seconds until I figured they weren't movie, then just ran for the exit. Phew.

The Painted World was fantastic. I loved every second of its atmosphere. I went through alone the first, then again with two others
to finish off the dragon boss

The only other level for me that comes close in otherworldly atmosphere is Ash Lake.

scy

Phat Michael said:
I enjoyed the first 30 hours....but now i find im playing the game just to finish the game so i can be done with it. i feel no compulsion to go through it again in NG+ either. going through blight town again or the sewers or the painted world...no chance in hell.

All three of those are pretty short zones so it's not like it even takes much time to go through it. Blighttown is really only annoying to traverse if you go from the Depths side. Just suck it up and forget about anything loot wise over there (or return later just for it) and just take the Valley shortcut.

As for the
Painted World issue, the wheel-lever is pretty big and is the only thing in the room besides death from wheeling skeletons. I understand if your brightness is low or something but ... it's pretty hard to miss. Perhaps if you went down the other side and have to find your way to the room, I guess?

I do agree that some of the zones for the latter half are pretty meh, though. It's why I have like 5 characters all at around the
Lordvessel soul hunt part of the game
. But, after doing the Great Hollow for all the loot, I fear nothing for shitty design. I even look forward to Blighttown.

Kyoufu

Augemitbutter said:
but why can i keep my other souls then? i had quelaag, ornstein and another one earlier, i think it was golem.

I think certain blacksmiths take certain ones, just like embers, but I could be wrong.

Dresden

So after two hours of farming and about sixty five purging stone drops I finally have enough twinkling titanite to upgrade my Black Knight Greataxe to +5.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Phat Michael said:
or you could stop being such an idiot and let me try and finish this game and see if i enjoy it?

im sorry if my ability to traverse dark souls is not as great as yours....but telling someone to quit? please. i want to finish it like i did demon's souls just to say i have and knowing i got the most of out of the game.

Commenting negatively about the design of a level is not a personal attack on you so you shouldnt treat it like one and get so defensive.
I see what you were saying in the earlier post...some Dark Souls fans take any criticism vey personally, but I think in this case he was just trying to say the game takes a massive nosedive in quality after the part you're on. Pretty common opinion, really.

Booshka

Kyoufu said:
You only need one Titanite Slab though, and you could leave it at +14 if you wanted, Titanite Shards and Chunks are easy to come by, it's always a pain to farm for twinkling titanite.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do you even summon that sun guy anyway? I haven't seen his sign anywhere. Do you need to be human, as I'm wandering around constantly hollowed. Up to Abercrombie and Fitch bosses at the moment.

yeb

Kyoufu said:
Yeah the blacksmiths will ask for the boss souls you've obtained, just like embers.
Kyoufu said:
I think certain blacksmiths take certain ones, just like embers, but I could be wrong.
No, they don't. There's only one blacksmith that even uses the boss souls, and I'm pretty sure they're consumed just like titanite, even listed in the same part of the screen. I've heard multiple people say they need NG++ to obtain all the weapons too.

54-46!

Zeliard said:
Yeah my Silver Knight Shield is at +4 without farming, and I failed miserably with the crystal lizards in Great Hollow as well. Need another 3 to get it to +5, hopefully I can get them without farming.
How many Twinkling is +5 for that shield?

x3r0123

Kyoufu said:

you are probably feeding him the wrong information

boss souls are yours to be kept and used. They can be used to upgrade weapons/obtain miracles/get souls and other stuffs. Of course, these souls are consumable so once you use it they are gone.
To upgrade a weapon from a boss soul, you need to go to anor londo's blacksmith

yeb said:
I've heard multiple people say they need NG++ to obtain all the weapons too.

that is indeed true because some souls have multiple usage

WanderingWind said:
I see what you were saying in the earlier post...some Dark Souls fans take any criticism vey personally, but I think in this case he was just trying to say the game takes a massive nosedive in quality after the part you're on. Pretty common opinion, really.

no actually, if you look at his other posts he's basically saying im not good enough to beat the game..not sure why hes getting so personal. Im the one saying in the latter part of the game it gets less enjoyable..he is attributing this due to my lack of skill i guess, simply because i couldnt find a lever and didnt like the Painted World level lol.

is the PvP in this game intentionally broken? seriously. what the FUCK is up with that Ring of Fog, not being able to target other players? WHY is that in the game? what the fucking hell FromSoft, in my eyes they failed miserably with this item...... i really am shocked that they thought it was a good design choice. i put in literally hundreds of hours into Demon's Souls multiplayer and i never had such rage towards the use of any items/magic (Firestorm was avoidable, thief ring was ok, mirdan hammer stun spammers could be beaten etc)

and that spell/miracle/whatever that slows you down and you can't do shit if the opponent does wrath of god immediately after that and just one-hits you because you can't evade............... again, WTF?

i did like 15-20 fights with the Forest Covenant and the majority of players against me were using that ring of fog. absolutely impossible to fight them, especially with lag. i got lucky a few times with backstabs but apparently an Iaito +10 does nothing to them, didn't even take 1/5th of their health. argh.

or am i just an idiot and there's some obvious tactic against the ring (and the slowing spell)?

i'm not shitting on the game though, the single player is amazing and co-op super fun when it works

frequency

test_account said:
Where is the 1st (or 2nd) entrance to Blight Town? I only found the one through Valley of Drakes.
In the depths. It's through the locked door where the merchant is. I think you have to beat the Gaping Dragon to get the key for it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tilian said:
There's one via the Depths too if I remember right.
frequency said:
In the depths. It's through the locked door where the merchant is. I think you have to beat the Gaping Dragon to get the key for it.
Depths, that is in the sewers, right? Yeah, i got that key, but i never found the entrance :) I dont remember seeing a merchant there, so i must have missed it. Is it close to the boss area?

Dresden

astroturfing said:
is the PvP in this game intentionally broken? seriously. what the FUCK is up with that Ring of Fog, not being able to target other players? WHY is that in the game? what the fucking hell FromSoft, in my eyes they failed miserably with this item...... i really am shocked that they thought it was a good design choice. i put in literally hundreds of hours into Demon's Souls multiplayer and i never had such rage towards the use of any items/magic (Firestorm was avoidable, thief ring was ok, mirdan hammer stun spammers could be beaten etc)

and that spell/miracle/whatever that slows you down and you can't do shit if the opponent does wrath of god immediately after that and just one-hits you because you can't evade............... again, WTF?

i did like 15-20 fights with the Forest Covenant and the majority of players against me were using that ring of fog. absolutely impossible to fight them, especially with lag. i got lucky a few times with backstabs but apparently an Iaito +10 does nothing to them, didn't even take 1/5th of their health. argh.

or am i just an idiot and there's some obvious tactic against the ring (and the slowing spell)?

i'm not shitting on the game though, the single player is amazing and co-op super fun when it works
Weapons with sweeping attacks or you just out-cheese them with homing spells and/or Tranquil Walk of LIght/Stone Greatsword. >.> Pvp no fun.

frequency

test_account said:
Depths, that is in the sewers, right? Yeah, i got that key, but i never found the entrance :) I dont remember seeing a merchant there, so i must have missed it. Is it close to the boss area?
Yeah the sewers. It's on the way from the bonfire to the boss. There's a kind of big room/hall thingy where there are like two rats and those slime things on the ceiling. At the end of the room there's like a fence/gate thing. The merchant probably already moved to Firelink if you can't see him there.

There's a big door past the fence/gate thing with a bunch of barrels and junk around it.

Booshka

Miroku said:
Finishing Siegmeyer's quest and getting the
Titanite slab
feelsgoodman
Was the Father alive when you met them both in Ash Lake? His daughter said she killed him because he went Hollow, so I arrived with her standing over his body, she gave me the Titanite Slab anyway, but I guess if he is alive, you can then kill him, and get a ring that only he carries. I may have messed up the order of the quest, because I helped him in Lost Izalith before I freed the daughter from the Golem in the Crystal Caves.

Varna

Ornstein and Smough...

I killed Smough... I had Ornstein at a sliver of life left... I was at full health. He did some kind of thrusting attack... I dodge... nope the game won't give it to me. It's some grab move that instantly kills me.

Tilian

Banned
test_account said:

IIRC, it's found it by sliding down that waterfall thingy (stick to one of the sides), and then you land in an open room. The merchant and entrance are straight ahead.

frequency

Varna said:
Ornstein and Smough...

I killed Smough... I had Ornstein at a sliver of life left... I was at full health. He did some kind of thrusting attack... I dodge... nope the game won't give it to me. It's some grab move that instantly kills me.
When his spear starts to glow with lightning and you're in close range, he does the grab move. I avoid it by rolling under his legs. I guess you can also roll backwards and out of range. I don't think rolling to the side works because it follows you.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The 4 Kings...argh fuck them.

Also, what's a good flame weapon to forge? There is no Demon's Souls equivalent in this game to the Demon's Souls knight sword. I'm a faith build so my dex is low, can't use Quelaag's furysword.

test_account

XP-39C²
frequency said:
Yeah the sewers. It's on the way from the bonfire to the boss. There's a kind of big room/hall thingy where there are like two rats and those slime things on the ceiling. At the end of the room there's like a fence/gate thing. The merchant probably already moved to Firelink if you can't see him there.

There's a big door past the fence/gate thing with a bunch of barrels and junk around it.
Tilian said:
IIRC, it's found it by sliding down that waterfall thingy (stick to one of the sides), and then you land in an open room. The merchant and entrance are straight ahead.

Great, thanks! :)

And one final question for now, how do you open the
door with the shining medal on it in Darkroot Garden/Basin? I guess you need an item or so, but where do you get it?

Miroku

Booshka said:
Was the Father alive when you met them both in Ash Lake? His daughter said she killed him because he went Hollow, so I arrived with her standing over his body, she gave me the Titanite Slab anyway, but I guess if he is alive, you can then kill him, and get a ring that only he carries. I may have messed up the order of the quest, because I helped him in Lost Izalith before I freed the daughter from the Golem in the Crystal Caves.

My experience was the same as yours. I almost shed a tear with that epic Ash Lake music going on in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom