• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedIC86

Man was i struggeling with
siff
, after try xxx i was very angry :p somehow he got stuck or something and i just spammed fireballs, and he died in a few sec...happyday

K1LLER7

Aeana said:
It does lead back to the start. If you've beaten
Sif, the butterfly and the hydra
then you're pretty much done with Darkroot.

do you think it's too early for drakes valley at level 34

Jonsoncao

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
I have the butterfly soul but the blacksmith hasn't asked for it...

P.S. What penalty does losing PVP have?

In the "Modify weapon" menu, you ll see a tab that has modifying eligible weapons(certain type+10) to boss soul weapons.

johntown

Banned
demosthenes said:
How did people do 4 Kings in NG+? They seem to have a TON of HP
I am still on my first playthrough but I have almost been helping people non-stop in NG+ on the Four Kings.

If you are going on your own Iron Flesh or a huge shield is a must.

Ken

Urban Scholar said:
How long until I meet that douchy cat once I step fought into dark root? I want to join the covenant asap so I can get that ninja ring already.

There's a bandit in front of a ruined structure. The cat is on a window in that first structure.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
See You Next Wednesday said:
Crap on a stick, I did not expect my progress to be so difficult.
I seen several video walkthroughs of up to ringing the first bell.

I leveled up to level 14, I got the Drake Sword, I'm using Pyromancy, went through the first bull Boss on the bridge like pie with gold resin on my weapon.

Yet I'm BARELY surviving encounters.
I'm at the part where I'm just a ladder away from the Garagoyle boss fight.

Shielded enemies are a pain in the ass with them flat out refusing to attack you sometimes.
Using magic or attacking does nothing when they have their shield up.

Not having a thrusting weapon on par with the Drake sword sucks, because the encounters are happening a lot inside small confined areas & my Drake sword isn't doing jack to enemies in that.
Nearly got killed by a mob of easy zombies & did get killed by those 3 rats near the bridge, because my sword kept hitting the walls & cancelling 95% of the attack.

I might just be imagining this, but it seems to me that the strong attack with the Drake Sword is less prone to hitting the wall, even though it's a sweeping side-to-side attack. It's also just about the same speed as the normal attack and does more damage, so try that in narrow corridors.

The other thing to try is to back off and wait for the enemy to attack and miss (or maybe they just stand there stuck in a doorway or something) and then use the L Stick Towards + R2 attack which will jump-stab straight towards them, no interference from walls. I'm picturing the part with all those zombies as you climb towards the roof of the church. I wouldn't use this strategy on a stronger/smarter enemy (like the Elite Guards); those you need to lure out to an open area before taking them on.

If the shielded enemies that you're talking about are the spear zombies, just kick to knock them out of defensive position. If it's the rapier elite nights with the tattered capes, you can use kick to knock them out of their counter-attack-ready pose, though it's risky because if the kick doesn't come out and a regular attack does you're going to get hurt badly.

MechaX

Gah. Had two Fire Keeper Souls (One Normal Fire Keeper and one Fire Keeper Shirnelady) and naturally, the game just had to use the Shrinelady's soul first in the reinforcement. Oh well, on NG+ it isn't that big of a loss (especially since most would probably primarily use the Parish Blacksmith bonfire more frequently). Still, it's kind of an oversight that From left something like this in.

Jonsoncao

Banned
johntown said:
I am still on my first playthrough but I have almost been helping people non-stop in NG+ on the Four Kings.

If you are going on your own Iron Flesh or a huge shield is a must.
Not really, I used my pvp set = Gold-hemmed+Avelyn+Pyros, run & gun'd Four Kings in NG+.

johntown said:
Yes you can.

Booshka

demosthenes said:
How did people do 4 Kings in NG+? They seem to have a TON of HP
I use the Black Knight Great Axe +5, and was barely killing one as the next one was spawning. I have been over-leveled just about my entire Dark Souls playtime, but Four Kings just have a lot of HP on NG+. I can deal a lot of damage to them though, and I have a lot of stamina, it's pretty tough though. I might try just spamming Crystal Ring shield on NG++.

Does anyone know if you can take off the Abyss ring right after you land and trigger the boss fight? Or do you have to leave it on until the fight is over, I would like to try and switch to the Cloranthy ring if I could.

MechaX said:
Gah. Had two Fire Keeper Souls (One Normal Fire Keeper and one Fire Keeper Shirnelady) and naturally, the game just had to use the Shrinelady's soul first in the reinforcement. Oh well, on NG+ it isn't that big of a loss (especially since most would probably primarily use the Parish Blacksmith bonfire more frequently). Still, it's kind of an oversight that From left something like this in.

what?
not really an oversight as your supposed to go back and return it. It gives you the option at firelink.
Although in hindsight if you sort of forget I can see this happening.

MechaX

Urban Scholar said:
what?
not really an oversight as your supposed to go back and return it. It gives you the option at firelink.
Although in hindsight if you sort of forget I can see this happening.

It's an oversight that they even equated the Shrinelady's soul to a generic fire keeper soul in the reinforcement option, let alone not actually having the option to pick which soul to use for the reinforcement.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
K1LLER7 said:
cool, off to blightown then :(

One of the shortcuts is to blighttown :p It cuts the majority of the level!

Though only use that shortcut in NG+ IMO. And after you beat the boss to get back to Firelink.

Booshka said:
I use the Black Knight Great Axe +5, and was barely killing one as the next one was spawning. I have been over-leveled just about my entire Dark Souls playtime, but Four Kings just have a lot of HP on NG+. I can deal a lot of damage to them though, and I have a lot of stamina, it's pretty tough though. I might try just spamming Crystal Ring shield on NG++.

Does anyone know if you can take off the Abyss ring right after you land and trigger the boss fight? Or do you have to leave it on until the fight is over, I would like to try and switch to the Cloranthy ring if I could.

Has to stay on.

I could try the shield, ugh he just had so much HP. Wondering if I siwtch to my Fire Murakamo+10, has much higher base damage but doesn't scale at all like Furysword does...or I could just run in there and try to spam all my pyro spells, anyone know how those work?

K1LLER7

Yurt said:
One of the shortcuts is to blighttown :p It cuts the majority of the level!

Though only use that shortcut in NG+ IMO. And after you beat the boss to get back to Firelink.
lol wouldn't want to take the shorcut then, thanks :)

Does the Stability stat on Shield means the same as guard reduction from Demon's Souls?

So the high the stability the less % of the stamina bar you'll get depleted when attacked with your shield up?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Finally finished my 1st play thru. Last boss was lacking, took him down with a few counters.

Does the Stability stat on Shield means the same as guard reduction from Demon's Souls?

So the high the stability the less % of the stamina bar you'll get depleted when attacked with your shield up?

yes and get staggered. If it's super high less stamina from hits and your are an un moveable mountain.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The biggest difference in overall style of play in Dark compared to Demon's Souls is that this game really rewards you for taking a general approach to stat building.

Lightning weapons for example are very strong and don't require you to jack any particular stat to deal big melee/ranged damage; this frees you up to work on other aspects of your build - particularly utility-type spells like Iron Flesh, Cast Light that can make a massive difference to overall survivability.

To anyone starting out I'd advise them to think long and hard about pushing any single stat past 20, because the more specialized your build the more likely you are to be punished for not having the correct tactics for a given situation.

Aeana

Clear said:
The biggest difference in overall style of play in Dark compared to Demon's Souls is that this game really rewards you for taking a general approach to stat building.

Lightning weapons for example are very strong and don't require you to jack any particular stat to deal big melee/ranged damage; this frees you up to work on other aspects of your build - particularly utility-type spells like Iron Flesh, Cast Light that can make a massive difference to overall survivability.

To anyone starting out I'd advise them to think long and hard about pushing any single stat past 20, because the more specialized your build the more likely you are to be punished for not having the correct tactics for a given situation.
duckroll told me that this might change with the upcoming patch? I haven't heard anything about it except from him, but he seemed to say that the imbalance of lightning might be changed.

Kyoufu

The STR/DEX etc stat scaling weapons are being modified so that lightning weapons don't dominate throughout the early game.

Aeana said:
duckroll told me that this might change with the upcoming patch? I haven't heard anything about it except from him, but he seemed to say that the imbalance of lightning might be changed.

The upcoming path is supposed to deal w/ stat scaling on weapons, right now it doesn't really work.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Clear said:

In Demon's Souls, being a jack-of-all-trades but master of none was a recipe for disaster, I know first hand since I had all 20s and got destroyed in NG+ and PVP until I de-leveled and built a Faith build with 45 Faith. I hope they fix the scaling issue in this game soon.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Clear said:

This is true in some instances, but mages benefit from heavily pumping Int because it scales up the damage of both their attack spells and any Magic/Enchanted weapons they're using, as well as making increasingly powerful spells available for casting, and 50 Int is the minimum for the strongest spell. I haven't played a Miracle build, but I assume that they benefit similarly, only with Faith pumping their Miracles and Divine weapons.

There's also something to be said for pumping Endurance to 40 regardless of your build, since that's where your Stamina tops out and more of that is always better.

This is all without considering the upcoming patch, of course.

Booshka

demosthenes said:
Has to stay on.

I could try the shield, ugh he just had so much HP. Wondering if I siwtch to my Fire Murakamo+10, has much higher base damage but doesn't scale at all like Furysword does...or I could just run in there and try to spam all my pyro spells, anyone know how those work?
Thanks, just beat them on NG++. I went down there without changing to Havel's set and fucking facepalmed then died. I had 12 humanity on me too lol. Rushed to the boss the second time, changed all my gear on the spiral staircase then went down there. Luckily my stain was in the direction where the first one spawns, so I picked it up and proceeded to wreck shit. I tried Iron Flesh once, but it wasn't really necessary, I used my Axe the whole time, but I think the Crystal Ring Shield could work. They have so much health though, each one has 2500+ HP that you have to take down quickly before the other one spawns.

Kyoufu

ixix said:
This is true in some instances, but mages benefit from heavily pumping Int because it scales up the damage of both their attack spells and any Magic/Enchanted weapons they're using, as well as making increasingly powerful spells available for casting, and 50 Int is the minimum for the strongest spell. I haven't played a Miracle build, but I assume that they benefit similarly, only with Faith pumping their Miracles and Divine weapons.

There's also something to be said for pumping Endurance to 40 regardless of your build, since that's where your Stamina tops out and more of that is always better.

This is all without considering the upcoming patch, of course.

I'm so playing my Sorcerer again when they patch the game. 50 INT with the moonlight weapon...HNNNNNGGGG

Kyoufu said:
I'm so playing my Sorcerer again when they patch the game. 50 INT with the moonlight weapon...HNNNNNGGGG

I have 60 INT or something... can't wait to see what that does to the S scaling on the tin crystalization catalyst

bone_and_sinew said:
In Demon's Souls, being a jack-of-all-trades but master of none was a recipe for disaster, I know first hand. I hope they fix the scaling issue in this game soon.

This is how I played through Demon's Souls my first time, and I never went back to the game again after beating it once! This is why I've gone back to Demon's Souls now... I kinda want to do it right at least once

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I thought the Poise stat determined staggering?

Or is it in combination with stability?

To the best of my understanding Poise determines whether a hit from an enemy interrupts your animations, whereas Stability determines how much Stamina you lose when an enemy attack hits your shield.

A character with high Poise can start the Estus Flask drinking animation and get hit by an enemy while in the middle of it, but still complete the drink. A low-Poise character would get interrupted and wouldn't finish drinking. This also holds true for attacks. A high Poise lets you complete an attack animation even if you get hit in the middle of it, whereas a low Poise means that your attack animation will be interrupted. A character with a high-Stability shield can take more hits before running out of Stamina and getting staggered than a character with a low-Stability shield.

Psy-Phi

Roche178 said:
Does take anyone else a really long time to get summoned? Trying to get some humanity it's taking forever.
Yup. Every time I put my stone down I never get summoned (but I've summoned others to aid me). When I come to a boss I want to practice against it but inevitably my patience runs thin and I just go in after 20 minutes of nothing.

Up to getting to the boss of Tomb of Giants I was what I consider normally leveled. After that, I found a great spot to farm humanity / souls, so I sat there for hours one night and went form SL60 to SL 102 (supplemented by some souls gathered from working for Alvina).

Now I know I won't get any summons, in NG+ and at 135. It's a shame too, if I ever play another character (if I want to platinum I must) I'll do my damnedest to stay below SL 50 through NG+.

Zeliard

Kyoufu said:
I told you to get it earlier in the thread but I was ignored :(

Cut Seath's tail for it I believe. Scales with INT and has a cool R2 attack.

Does the Moonlight Great Sword cut through shields like the ol' Moonlight Sword from Demon's Souls?

I thought the Poise stat determined staggering?

Or is it in combination with stability?

Poise is the likelihood of an attack stopping your motions of running or attacking. Stability is staggering with your shield up. A friend of mine found this out and informed me of his findings. Fun fact hollow shield at + 15 has the most of second most stability in the game. Wild

Varna

Clear said:

This wasn't there intention I think. They fucked up bad and I hope the stat scaling gets some seriously tweaking when the patch hits.

But this was a huge issue in Demons Souls too. Mages can meele just as well as any other character because of the ridiculous bonus on magic weapons. They could fix this by making the requirements to use weapons properly way higher.

In general it's too easy to do anything. At least in Demons Souls you had to invest in int to be a competent mage. In Dark Souls you just have to throw enough money at pyro spells (souls are way to abundant in this game too).

Aeana

Kyoufu said:
I told you to get it earlier in the thread but I was ignored :(

Cut Seath's tail for it I believe. Scales with INT and has a cool R2 attack.
Oh is it a greatsword? I really don't like slow weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom