• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

test_account said:
Great, thanks! :)

And one final question for now, how do you open the
door with the shining medal on it in Darkroot Garden/Basin? I guess you need an item or so, but where do you get it?
You buy it for 20,000 souls at the blacksmith.

MechaX

astroturfing said:
is the PvP in this game intentionally broken? seriously. what the FUCK is up with that Ring of Fog, not being able to target other players? WHY is that in the game? what the fucking hell FromSoft, in my eyes they failed miserably with this item...... i really am shocked that they thought it was a good design choice. i put in literally hundreds of hours into Demon's Souls multiplayer and i never had such rage towards the use of any items/magic (Firestorm was avoidable, thief ring was ok, mirdan hammer stun spammers could be beaten etc)

and that spell/miracle/whatever that slows you down and you can't do shit if the opponent does wrath of god immediately after that and just one-hits you because you can't evade............... again, WTF?

i did like 15-20 fights with the Forest Covenant and the majority of players against me were using that ring of fog. absolutely impossible to fight them, especially with lag. i got lucky a few times with backstabs but apparently an Iaito +10 does nothing to them, didn't even take 1/5th of their health. argh.

or am i just an idiot and there's some obvious tactic against the ring (and the slowing spell)?

i'm not shitting on the game though, the single player is amazing and co-op super fun when it works

A vast majority of Fog Ring users get so overconfident that they usually fail to evade sweeping attacks from Scythes and Greatswords in my experience for some reason.

The main reason that you probably were not doing much damage even with backstabs is because the level gap with the Forest Covenant in particular seems to be excessively high, if not even having a limit. There have been reports of people who glitched up to SL 500+ being perfectly able to invade SL 50 people with relative ease. What you fought was probably someone with an extremely high level and really good equipment.

Now Tranquil Walk of Peace (the slow down spell)... Yeah. There's really nothing much to be done with this. There is even a glitch where you can actually do continuous damage for the duration of the spell by taking advantage of a spell swap glitch. For the moment, there is really nothing to be done in terms of countering these tactics.

Tilian

Banned
test_account said:
Great, thanks! :)

And one final question for now, how do you open the
door with the shining medal on it in Darkroot Garden/Basin? I guess you need an item or so, but where do you get it?

You
purchase it for 20,000 souls from the nearby blacksmith, Andre

Septimius

Killed Ornstein and Smough on my first attempt. What's all the fuzz about? Smough was easier than the giants in the room before the boss.

That lightning-pounce was annoying, though.

But hey, apparently people find Sen's annoying, too. I have yet to die there.

Booshka

Miroku said:
My experience was the same as yours. I almost shed a tear with that epic Ash Lake music going on in the background.
That's very poignant, I let the daughter tell me her sob story then murdered her because I thought she would drop something.

Nix

Banned
Booshka said:
That's very poignant, I let the daughter tell me her sob story then murdered her because I thought she would drop something.
You're a monster.

...I..do the same thing.

frequency

test_account said:
Ah ok, thanks again! :) Gotta do quite some farming then since i currently have 0 souls lol :\
That shortcut isn't absolutely required. You can get to the area beyond it by another longer route. But there's a bonfire right outside that door and that area is considered the best soul farming area in the game.

Aeana

The Orinstein and Smough boss fight was really tense. I won on my first try, but only just. Homing soulmass is so awesome.

Also, before that,
I invaded Lautrec's world and was expecting to have a hard time, but once again homing soulmass saved the day. I one shotted the mage with a soul spear, homing soulmass hit the warrior minion, and then I soul speared Lautrec a couple of times before he even got to me.
Good times.

I'm just waiting for my luck to run out now. :(

KAOz

Short bus special
bone_and_sinew said:
The 4 Kings...argh fuck them.

Also, what's a good flame weapon to forge? There is no Demon's Souls equivalent in this game to the Demon's Souls knight sword. I'm a faith build so my dex is low, can't use Quelaag's furysword.

Motherfucking Fire Halberd +10 wreaks shit!

Miroku said:
@corrosiveFrost

I've quickly tried the
sunlight
one, but its not as good as the regular talisman @31 Faith. I'll take another look at the purchasable one from the vendor in the belltower. I never bought the Thorolund talisman from Petrus before I killed him, but I looked at the numbers and it didn't look as good as the regular talisman. I'll probably end up trying it anyways in NG+
I guess I'll try killing Rhea for her's as well

I think its kind of lame that I've found all sort of catalysts throughout the game but no interesting talismans.

If you already
killed petrus
you'll definitely have to kill
Rhea for her ivory talisman, as she just kept praying in the undead church for me -- she never left and went hollow as people have otherwise indicated

For the Ivory:
Medium for casting miracles of the Gods.
Ivory Talismans are granted only to female clerics, and
their value is affected dramatically by their owner's faith.

Sounds like it might work well for you at 31 faith. Murder that bitch. :D

frequency

corrosivefrost said:
If you already
killed petrus
you'll definitely have to kill
Rhea for her ivory talisman, as she just kept praying in the undead church for me -- she never left and went hollow as people have otherwise indicated
I dont know if it was just a coincidence but
she disappeared from the church after I bought all her miracles.
I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Sullichin

Yess beat Priscilla on my second try today. I guess I needed to step away from the game and then come back to it, because I calmly beat her ass. I even ran past everything from the bonfire to her without taking any damage (I usually get hit with a couple of arrows). I never had any luck getting her visible with pyromancy, so I just chipped away at her with my halberd until I could see her, then it was all combustion + 2h halberd strong attacks. I still think that fight is cheap as hell though. The bleed damage while she's invisible is really annoying.

frequency said:

Was
Petrus
still alive?
I killed his ass because I knew he murders her if left alone and I didn't want her to disappear before I bought all her miracles. I did eventually get my all miracles trophy, so this game I'll be letting her meet whatever fate the gods deem fit for her.

Zeliard

Sullichin said:
Yess beat Priscilla on my second try today. I guess I needed to step away from the game and then come back to it, because I calmly beat her ass. I even ran past everything from the bonfire to her without taking any damage (I usually get hit with a couple of arrows). I never had any luck getting her visible with pyromancy, so I just chipped away at her with my halberd until I could see her, then it was all combustion + 2h halberd strong attacks. I still think that fight is cheap as hell though. The bleed damage while she's invisible is really annoying.

Should have just used some bloodred moss clump to keep bleeding accumulation low. Once you hit her a few times she becomes visible and then it's like the female Pinwheel.

test_account

XP-39C²
frequency said:
That shortcut isn't absolutely required. You can get to the area beyond it by another longer route. But there's a bonfire right outside that door and that area is considered the best soul farming area in the game.
Oh ok, cool. Yeah, i saw a video on YouTube and then that door was open =) I need to do some more farming before going further in the game.

I had 500 souls instead of 0 as i first thought, lol. But luckily it doesnt take THAT long to get 20.000 souls. I could just kill those tree guys and those knights. Probably takes around 30 minutes i guess.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
KAOz said:
Motherfucking Fire Halberd +10 wreaks shit!
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I suspected as much since the Halbred in this game has the same moveset as the Mirdan Hammer in Demon's Souls, which was a borderline broken weapon. I didn't want to waste ore though forging something that might turn out crappy.

Booshka said:
Yes you can use the Miracle and Sword without being in the Covenant, the Miracle kinda sucks though, sword is very good though. My friend tried out the Gravelord PvP a little bit, and he had a few fun experiences, but it is very inconsistent, and he was having trouble connecting and getting it to work. Like most of this game's MP, it sounds good in theory, but doesn't work very well in practice.

Ok. Thanks! Shame about the miracle. I don't know about the sword. The strength requirement is really steep and I hadn't really planned to up it that much. But if I find lots more bad ass weapons that require high strength, I might consider it.

I read somewhere that for the gravelord PvP stuff to work, you need to do it while human, in a level where you haven't beaten the boss yet. Is this true? It seems really risky though, as you may be invaded by players who you have not cursed as well, while worrying about the monsters of the level attacking you aside from those other players that you cursed. Also, I don't like the fact that you need to use consumables to do it. It seems like a waste when you only have three if it doesn't work due to you being in the wrong level range for the area, or due to some hiccups of the lobby system.

Crap on a stick, I did not expect my progress to be so difficult.
I seen several video walkthroughs of up to ringing the first bell.

I leveled up to level 14, I got the Drake Sword, I'm using Pyromancy, went through the first bull Boss on the bridge like pie with gold resin on my weapon.

Yet I'm BARELY surviving encounters.
I'm at the part where I'm just a ladder away from the Garagoyle boss fight.

Shielded enemies are a pain in the ass with them flat out refusing to attack you sometimes.
Using magic or attacking does nothing when they have their shield up.

Not having a thrusting weapon on par with the Drake sword sucks, because the encounters are happening a lot inside small confined areas & my Drake sword isn't doing jack to enemies in that.
Nearly got killed by a mob of easy zombies & did get killed by those 3 rats near the bridge, because my sword kept hitting the walls & cancelling 95% of the attack.

I also found the Firekeepers Soul & found the shortcut back to the fireshrine.

Does the firekeeper souls just increase health potion when I refill them at that specific bonfire or does it increase all potions permanently throughout the game?

Also how many souls does it give you if you consume it?

Jonsoncao

Banned
frequency said:
Petrus killed her, kill Petrus you will know by looting his body.

See You Next Wednesday said:
I also found the Firekeepers Soul & found the shortcut back to the fireshrine.

Does the firekeeper souls just increase health potion when I refill them at that specific bonfire or does it increase all potions permanently throughout the game?

Also how many souls does it give you if you consume it?
Permanently even to NG+, consuming it = 5 humanities.

frequency

corrosivefrost said:
Was
Petrus
still alive?
I killed his ass because I knew he murders her if left alone and I didn't want her to disappear before I bought all her miracles. I did eventually get my all miracles trophy, so this game I'll be letting her meet whatever fate the gods deem fit for her.
Yeah I didn't kill him. So maybe that's it.
I had no idea he would kill her? When was that supposed to happen? He just spent all game standing there whining about stuff for me.

Jonsoncao said:
Petrus killed her, kill Petrus you will know by looting his body.
I don't think that happened in my game. I found
her as a hollow in one of the cells in Duke's Archive

GeekyDad

MrGame&Watch said:
So did you kill them?

Not during that attempt, no. His tail got lopped off, and I think his buddy got me with a fire attack before I even noticed the item. I saw it in the background as the "You Died" screen was displayed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Septimius said:
Killed Ornstein and Smough on my first attempt. What's all the fuzz about? Smough was easier than the giants in the room before the boss.

That lightning-pounce was annoying, though.

But hey, apparently people find Sen's annoying, too. I have yet to die there.

I found the giants piss easy as they're physical attacks, smough I just couldn't keep him away from me

KAOz

Short bus special
bone_and_sinew said:
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I suspected as much since the Halbred in this game has the same moveset as the Mirdan Hammer in Demon's Souls, which was a borderline broken weapon. I didn't want to waste ore though forging something that might turn out crappy.

It is good. With the regular pokes and then the R2 wide attack, it's amazing.

Specially 10+ Fire. It currently does 308 damage in physical (more sometimes, aloooot more), and at least 308 in fire damage. That's 616 damage per poke. Plus, it's easy to use and doesn't drain too much stamina. It's my go-to weapon, and still works wonders in NG+.

scy

frequency said:
Yeah I didn't kill him. So maybe that's it.
I had no idea he would kill her? When was that supposed to happen? He just spent all game standing there whining about stuff for me.

It's after
saving her from the Tomb but before buying all her Miracles. Not sure what triggers it besides progress. The only hint you have is that Petrus went with her to the Tomb and abandoned her to die.

I don't think that happened in my game. I found
her as a hollow in one of the cells in Duke's Archive

If you
buy all her Miracles
, I believe this is what happens; otherwise, the above occurs instead. Not sure what happens if
you do the Archives first, then the Tomb; I guess she lives throughout the game then.

Anyway, I really should play less when I'm really tired. Just noticed I raised my Endurance to 41 last night for ... some ... reason. :/ Oh well; just 1 extra SL, shouldn't matter...

Kalnos

Banned
What boss do you guys think people would be at around level 27? Going to do some invading/helping for humanity. I'm thinking Depths maybe?

Dresden

Kalnos said:
What boss do you guys think people would be at around level 27? Going to do some invading/helping for humanity. I'm thinking Depths maybe?
I had a lot of success at that level range for Gaping Dragon.

K1LLER7

Guys is there anywhere to go after
beating the wolf in darkroot basin? I got to alvine the cat and selected no (bad decision?)
went through and got stone armour and eastern armour and now i'm stuck at the door with a silver crest. Not sure if it leads back to the start of the area.

Varna

Finally beat Ornstein and Smough!

Found a nice little way to deal damage without much risk. During the second half of the fight Ornstein will sometimes constantly shoot lighting bolts at you if you are far away and behind a pillar. He does this for a decent amount of time and gave me a chance to pull out my bow and take out a decent chunk of health before he proceeded to try close range again.

Aeana

K1LLER7 said:
Guys is there anywhere to go after
beating the wolf in darkroot basin? I got to alvine the cat and selected no (bad decision?)
went through and got stone armour and eastern armour and now i'm stuck at the door with a silver crest. Not sure if it leads back to the start of the area.
It does lead back to the start. If you've beaten
Sif, the butterfly and the hydra
then you're pretty much done with Darkroot.

glaurung

So what's the right place to go to after you kill Quelaag? I managed to kill her (with help, obviously), then spent a lot more time getting back out from Blighttown via the shortcut in the Valley of Drakes. Took the elevator back up to Firelink, the fire keeper has been killed etc.

Sen't Fortress is a tad hard for me - soul level 38, but not a whole lot of good gear and no lightning weaponry (that's supposed to be helpful in Sen's, right?).

So what should I do now? Darkroot Basin's crystal golems are easy to kill due to the pathfinding glitch, but then there's the water dragon.

Risible

Fantastic game riiiiiiiight up until Lost Izalith. What a piece of shit level.

Fuck-tons of those retarded dinosaurs standing around in lava. Targeting works like shit on them for some reason. Clear them out and run past all of the cookie-cutter look-like-shit fire monsters and then you get to fight the boss that, while relatively easy in the sense of mechanics, will one-shot you randomly with fire.
Then you get to fight the final boss - after the long-ass run past tons of knights. Either take 5 minutes killing them each time, or run past and hope one doesn't get lucky and take a slice out of you on the way in. Either way, suckage.

They really ran out of steam at then end, level design wise. I mean hell, the four kings isn't even a level, you just fight them in the dark. Ooooooookay.

I think in the end, Demon's Souls is the better game. At this point I've played something like 100 hours of Dark Souls and it seems like there isn't nearly the variety of characters there is in Demon's Souls.

Archer doesn't seem viable as arrows don't seem to do nearly as much damage as they did in DeS. Sorceror is good. Pyro just plain wrecks shit. Straight up melee is doable but doesn't seem as viable in DaS as in DeS, as the scaling is fucked. I haven't tried a Faith build yet, so not sure about that, but doesn't seem like it would be that good.

Anyone with more experience have any thoughts on this? Am I way off base here?

Jonsoncao said:
Permanently even to NG+, consuming it = 5 humanities.

Still don't think anyone has confirmed for me yet, so maybe you can: What's the maximum reinforce on an estus flask? I have mine at +7 and the game told me to get lost with the firekeeper soul I have on me... is +7 really the max? That seems so random.

Mihos said:
Four Kings whooping up on me consistantly. I will try the heavy armor thing next. I am sure I am just doing it wrong. Other than the wolf, I haven't had much problem with the others.

Does anyone one else feel bad when they summon someone in to help and fail miserably? I always give it good 4 or 5 tried before summoning since I hate getting someone else killed!

They just stomped me in NG+ using the Furysword :|

Aeana

glaurung said:
So what's the right place to go to after you kill Quelaag? I managed to kill her (with help, obviously), then spent a lot more time getting back out from Blighttown via the shortcut in the Valley of Drakes. Took the elevator back up to Firelink, the fire keeper has been killed etc.

Sen't Fortress is a tad hard for me - soul level 38, but not a whole lot of good gear and no lightning weaponry (that's supposed to be helpful in Sen's, right?).

So what should I do now? Darkroot Basin's crystal golems are easy to kill due to the pathfinding glitch, but then there's the water dragon.
Sen's is the next place to go for the story. But there are a couple of optional areas you could go to, including Darkroot and the Great Hollow/Ash Lake.

As for lightning weaponry, you can get a lightning spear in Sen's itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom