• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Wallachia said:
Are there instructions anywhere on how to meet a specific friend online, or trade items? Is the latter even possible?
One is human (host) other is hollow. Hollow friend puts down white sign at an agreed upon spot you are both standing at. If you don't see it within 2 minutes, tell him to put it down again. A new sign resets into a new lobby apparently, so repeat enough and you'll accidentally end up in the same lobby and be able to summon your friend.

KAOz

Short bus special
Well, just beat it.

Yeah. Don't know what to say really. Got the good ending.

Also, two shotted the Asylum Demon.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm still pretty early in the game and I haven't done much weapon/armor reinforcing.

Anyone have any general guidelines for how I should choose what to reinforce?

Is titanite easy to come by throughout the game or do I need to agonize over these decisions? If spending titanite willy nilly means many hours of additional farming, I'd probably like to avoid that.

Another way to put that is, should I reinforce any weapon I happen to like at the time? Or should I hold out for certain weapons?

I have the Drake Sword right now so I'm not going to need to reinforce any weapons for a little while, but eventually I'll need to make these decisions.

Love this game so far despite it being the exact opposite of the type of game I usually play. I hate making decisions!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
KAOz said:
Well, just beat it.

Yeah. Don't know what to say really. Got the good ending.

Also, two shotted the Asylum Demon.
Tell us what you thought <,<!

Dreaver

Pinwheel.. What?
I ran up to him (2h Lightening Spear +5) and literally poked him death within 5 seconds, in 4 stabs... LOL?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dreaver said:
Pinwheel.. What?
I ran up to him (2h Lightening Spear +5) and literally poked him death within 5 seconds, in 4 stabs... LOL?
Yeah it's part of his nature to get between 2 and 5 shotted ;_;

Yoshichan said:
I was looking for my Yoshichan-deal-with-it.gif for a good 4-5 minutes but I can't find it ;_;!

edit: YAY!!!

0lTEs.gif

Omg I am so going to sacrifice a Yoshi to jump on higher ground!

knitoe

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm still pretty early in the game and I haven't done much weapon/armor reinforcing.

Anyone have any general guidelines for how I should choose what to reinforce?

Is titanite easy to come by throughout the game or do I need to agonize over these decisions? If spending titanite willy nilly means many hours of additional farming, I'd probably like to avoid that.

Another way to put that is, should I reinforce any weapon I happen to like at the time? Or should I hold out for certain weapons?

I have the Drake Sword right now so I'm not going to need to reinforce any weapons for a little while, but eventually I'll need to make these decisions.

Love this game so far despite it being the exact opposite of the type of game I usually play. I hate making decisions!

The Titanite chunks and slabs you will have to find/farm. The small and large you can buy from merchant at top of Sen's fortress. So, upgrade all you want to +5. Once chunks are need, then you have to make some decision.

Yoshichan said:
Clearly game design isn't as important for you, as it is for the majority of the people who are complaining :p

I'm continuously playing the game because the early-to-mid-parts = SOOOOOOOO GOOD. But then I pretty much drink myself drunk and play the rest of the game. Fuck yeah, let's GO

I'm starting to understand the complaints about some of the later-level game design.

The first half/mid game is simply some of the best game/level design I've seen. I'm including Blighttown in that list.

As beautiful as Anor Londo was - I was hoping for more - like for it to be a bit of a 'hub' zone similar to Firelink Shrine and having more sub-areas that all interconnect with various short cuts/etc.

ie: The Duke's Archives being bigger - having various short cuts leading back to AL, Crystal Caves weaving into the zone in a more interesting fashion, having more sub-parts to AL itself - dunno, have like a "Gardens/Courtyard" area, a Dungeon area, Barracks, etc all with the same attention to detail/level design and opening up of shortcuts like you get with Undead Burg/Parish. By having the plot-device of being carried away by gargoyles up the hill - it opened up the possibilities for really fleshing out that area in an interesting way without having to think 'how will this reconnect back to Shrine/Ruins/Garden/etc.

There should have been like two huge wings to the castle, and needing to do events/bosses on either side to open up the main boss gates or something.

As impressive as the Demon's Ruins seemed when I first walked into them - now that I've beat the Ceaseless Discharge and working my way in - I can see how the complaints of this area are valid, and it just seems like they ran out of steam and got lazy.

I would say that the later half of the game so far feels "Average" - but when compared to how brilliant the first half/mid part of the game was - Average doesn't seem good enough.

Zzoram said:
One is human (host) other is hollow. Hollow friend puts down white sign at an agreed upon spot you are both standing at. If you don't see it within 2 minutes, tell him to put it down again. A new sign resets into a new lobby apparently, so repeat enough and you'll accidentally end up in the same lobby and be able to summon your friend.

Can anyone confirm this works? My friend sold the game because we couldn't co-op. If its legit i can sway him back.

Yoshichan

rogerroger22 said:
I'm starting to understand the complaints about some of the later-level game design.
Yep! And let's not forget the big fuck up with Valley of Drakes :( It was a place I was consistently looking forward too, and I kept delaying the exploration of this zone. Then when I finally decided to explore it... Oh god, the disappointment! ;_; ARGH, DAMN YOU FROM!

KAOz

Short bus special
Yoshichan said:
Tell us what you thought <,<!

Well....

The end game really lacked a certain something. The last few areas had been disappointing, and when going down the tunnel leading to Gwyn (the white fog stuff), I expected something really epic. Specially when I ended up in that realm.
Then I was being funneled down a corridor, had to fight 5 easy guys. And then bossfight.

Wat.

Why did the Gaping Dragon, Smough & Ornstein and other bosses get awesome introductions? This baffles me. Because yeah, this could be any boss. All of a sudden I enter, a old man runs towards me, I beat his old sorry ass into oblivion, and then.... nothing.

No, wait, there is something. I touch the fire and BURN THE FUCK UP! End.

Yeah, it really lost the steam after you unlocked the yellow fog gates. It didn't feel like the same game anymore. I still love it, still feel it's amazing. But as many others I do believe the last bits where just rushed.

Dragon Slayer Great Bow weighs 10.0 . Man that's a nono with my light build character. I need a better bow though.

Also upgraded my fury sword to + 3

Infinite_Daremo said:
Can anyone confirm this works? My friend sold the game because we couldn't co-op. If its legit i can sway him back.
there have been numerous reports that it does indeed work, it just take extra work. Stupid Namco Bandai with multiple lobby.

As long as you are in the level requirement, it should be good.

rogerroger22 said:

The first half/mid game is simply some of the best game/level design I've seen. I'm including Blighttown in that list.

As beautiful as Anor Londo was - I was hoping for more - like for it to be a bit of a 'hub' zone similar to Firelink Shrine and having more sub-areas that all interconnect with various short cuts/etc.

ie: The Duke's Archives being bigger - having various short cuts leading back to AL, Crystal Caves weaving into the zone in a more interesting fashion, having more sub-parts to AL itself - dunno, have like a "Gardens/Courtyard" area, a Dungeon area, Barracks, etc all with the same attention to detail/level design and opening up of shortcuts like you get with Undead Burg/Parish. By having the plot-device of being carried away by gargoyles up the hill - it opened up the possibilities for really fleshing out that area in an interesting way without having to think 'how will this reconnect back to Shrine/Ruins/Garden/etc.

There should have been like two huge wings to the castle, and needing to do events/bosses on either side to open up the main boss gates or something.

As impressive as the Demon's Ruins seemed when I first walked into them - now that I've beat the Ceaseless Discharge and working my way in - I can see how the complaints of this area are valid, and it just seems like they ran out of steam and got lazy.

I would say that the later half of the game so far feels "Average" - but when compared to how brilliant the first half/mid part of the game was - Average doesn't seem good enough.

I can agree w/ this post though on the thoughts that some of the later areas especially Demon's seemed finished really quickly. But I thought it was awesome when I was in Tomb and I saw the Ash Lake stuff so close. Really helps make the whole world be connected.

Urban Scholar said:
Dragon Slayer Great Bow weighs 10.0 . Man that's a nono with my light build character. I need a better bow though.

I equip and unequip when I want to use it. I just love using it so much, feel like such a badass when it goes *THUNK* when you aim.

def sim

How come the other guy has to be hollow? I did the same method, but we were both human and it didn't work out. Does being hollow increase the chances of finding each other?

rance said:
How come the other guy has to be hollow? I did the same method, but we were both human and it didn't work out. Does being hollow increase the chances of finding each other?
Actually, the other guy doesn't even need to be hollow iirc, human summoning human works, it is just the stupid multiple lobby shit.

Yoshichan

You know what? Fuck it!

*Goes deprived*

Wallachia

Zzoram said:

Thanks. In theory it sounds right.. but what would stop one from seeing 500 summon signs at the same time from everyone ELSE online?

Yoshichan

Female or male... no difference in this game, right?

Urban Scholar said:

Take a +10 bow and make darkmoon bow. Damage is on par with my Raw longbow +5 and it does 80 magic damage to boot. It's now my default, just need some demon titanite to get it to +5 (spent all my demon titanite on +5 fury sword and +1 crystal shield).

Wallachia said:
Thanks. In theory it sounds right.. but what would stop one from seeing 500 summon signs at the same time from everyone ELSE online?

Putting it in some fucked up location you agreed upon with your friend prior to playing.

bathala

Banned
rance said:
Tried to do this 3 days worth. nothing.

U need to be close to a boss maybe even on the same covenant. Tried doing every 30 secs put a new whitestone to now avail.

def sim

Cloudius12 said:
Actually, the other guy doesn't even need to be hollow iirc, human summoning human works, it is just the stupid multiple lobby shit.

So it just doesn't work for me. Bummer.

What I really hope is that when the game start dwindling down to a decent amount of player base, they removed the multiple lobby stuff.

rance said:
So it just doesn't work for me. Bummer.
Just have the other guy put down a new sign every 1 min or 2 to see, with persistent, it will work.

Yoshichan said:
Female or male... no difference in this game, right?

Except for looks... some of the armor has different touches to it for females. And being female allows me to wear the skirt with it actually fitting with my character. lol... damn amazing skirt.

Deadstar

Deadstar said:
So I killed ceaseless discharge and continued my way into the ruins in the same area. I found a boss and I'm getting completely stomped. I'm around lvl 50. Should I continue to try to kill this thing or did I go the complete wrong way?

Previously I had gone through the catacombs, past the tomb of giants and was stopped by the yellow fog. That fog is no longer there but instead of going down there again I somehow ended up in the ceaseless discharge area. Should I go back to the tomb of giants?

Anyone?

Yoshichan

GodlyPerfection said:
Except for looks... some of the armor has different touches to it for females. And being female allows me to wear the skirt with it actually fitting with my character. lol... damn amazing skirt.
Female (as usual) it is!

def sim

Deadstar said:

Go to Sen's fortress. It's by the first blacksmith, before the entrance to darkroot.

edit: I really should read entire posts first before replying!

It sounds like you finished Anor Londo and received the Lord Vessel. Your choices are demon ruins, archives, new londo, and catacombs. New Londo is the easiest.

Pumpkins

Cloudius12 said:
What I really hope is that when the game start dwindling down to a decent amount of player base, they removed the multiple lobby stuff.

Just have the other guy put down a new sign every 1 min or 2 to see, with persistent, it will work.

They should just remove it right now. The game feels like a ghost town sometimes.

Deadstar said:
Have you done New Londo Ruins, Forest, Duke's Archive?

Pumpkins said:
They should just remove it right now. The game feels like a ghost town sometimes.
I agree, if they have any sense. But if it is how the way they work, Namco buys a couple of cheap servers to maintain everyone playing at the same time. When the player base goes down and the servers are less active, they might remove a server to avoid cost, etc.

Wallachia

bathala said:
Tried to do this 3 days worth. nothing.

U need to be close to a boss maybe even on the same covenant. Tried doing every 30 secs put a new whitestone to now avail.

Are you on NAT Type 3? And good point, I bet if you and a friend are in the same Covenant, it can help your chances..

Yoshichan

NAT 2

First character, empty as fuck, boring as shit
Second character, full as heck, fun as living damn

Wallachia

I think it is all us NAT TYPE 3's that are having the 1 summon a night type thing. All the NAT TYPE 2's get to ho around all you want.. luckies.

Zzoram

rance said:
Ya as long as one of you is human and you're both within 10% of each other in level it should work.

Finalow

darkwing said:
where are you now? you can go back there, same way you came in
the tomb of giants. i can't go back there 'cause ..
you go there when you get killed. I already killed the boss of that area.

Spy

I killed my first Pyromancer trainer in Blighttown because he started randomly attacking me. I had only upgraded my Pyromancy Flame to +3 and I've never had the second Pyromancer trainer spawn. Am I stuck with a +3 Pyromancy Flame till NG+?

Carcetti

Seems my Eye of Death problem has to stand, but another question.

My main character is a high STR build, but now what I've played a dex mage more as well, I'm getting frustrated with the slow swing speeds and horrible recovery of large weapons. I need to find a high STR ratio weapon that also swings fast and upgrade that, and so far I like the basic greataxe most. Any other ideas?

Yoshichan said:
I understand why everyone thinks Sif and Bill and Bull are the best bosses in the game...

But clearly, GAF doesn't appreciate magic when it's being spoon-fed to ya :p The best boss in the game is called Moonlight Butterfly. Best music, best atmosphere, crazy amazing design and overall a whole bunch of "THIS GAME IS OMG!".

Upon beating it, I was considering posting just a whole page of spam (as I was so damn hyped afterwards). Luckily, my brain realized that it would probably get me banned so I skipped doing that :p

Pssssssssssh!!! The last boss music blows away every damn song in the game. And if it wasn't for the weird terrain it'd probably be my favorite boss fight since there are so many ways to approach it.

Spy said:
I killed my first Pyromancer trainer in Blighttown because he started randomly attacking me. I had only upgraded my Pyromancy Flame to +3 and I've never had the second Pyromancer trainer spawn. Am I stuck with a +3 Pyromancy Flame till NG+?
there are at least 2 more people who can upgrade that flame later in the game :/

Deadstar

rance said:
Go to Sen's fortress. It's by the first blacksmith, before the entrance to darkroot.

edit: I really should read entire posts first before replying!

It sounds like you finished Anor Londo and received the Lord Vessel. Your choices are demon ruins, archives, new londo, and catacombs. New Londo is the easiest.

I think I'll try heading to New Londo then....when I went there earlier I got smoked by the ghosts. But now I'm 20 or so levels higher and I believe I have some anti curse gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom