• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Sir Garbageman said:
Some armors effect stamina recovery...?
Yep. Some heavier armors slow down stamina recovery. It's usually in the item description. Havel's set slows stamina recovery but offers the best defense.

54-46! said:
It's weird, I went in to this game expecting not to like it but now I'm 30 hours and in my interest in other upcoming titles have declined drastically.

I killed my Batman preorder for this reason, I'll pick that up when it's $30-40.

Finalow

Zzoram said:
Yep. Some heavier armors slow down stamina recovery. It's usually in the item description. Havel's set slows stamina recovery but offers the best defense.
nope. smough's set is the best.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
demosthenes said:
You made me really scared for the ending areas and I loved the game all the way through. Still have Lost ____ w/e it is and the end boss left.
Clearly game design isn't as important for you, as it is for the majority of the people who are complaining :p

I'm continuously playing the game because the early-to-mid-parts = SOOOOOOOO GOOD. But then I pretty much drink myself drunk and play the rest of the game. Fuck yeah, let's GO

Soma

Urban Scholar said:
Excuse me sir but is your avatar what I think it is?
it just might be!

tumblr_lt7f3n8Azx1r0y0f8o1_500.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Also, fuck the one who did the title for the OT3... frightening the new players with Blighttown :(

edit:
duckroll said:
Yes, Y2Kev and I decided that OT3 should be a special Blighttown tribute. :D.
iGD9ICH54UCaz.jpg

Wallachia

I want to start a new game just so I can fight the giatn knight and that dancing channeler in the undead chapel. I miss them everytime I go in there now and they are gone.. same for the prowling lightning demon..

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yoshichan said:
Also, fuck the one who did the title for the OT3... frightening the new players with Blighttown :(

It was a mod. You're fuckin' dead. DEAD!

I also don't like the title, but only because it doesn't make sense and isn't actually the joke it's supposed to be.

Yoshichan

I just read the first couple of posts... forgive me Duckroll .__. Hopefully you do know that I wuv you ♥
DON'T BAN, PLEASE!

Owensboro

finalozzo said:
nope. smough's set is the best.

I was under the impression that if you +5 all the black iron pieces it becomes the "best" all around set. Of course, if you wear all 4 pieces there is a huge Stamina kill, so it's best to wear 3 pieces and sub out the 4th. I'm currently rocking the chest, gauntlets, and legs with a Mask of the Child to up my stamina recovery. Chest and Guantlets are +5, I'm working in my NG+ to get the legs all the way up.

I really hope that guide has item stats when it comes in. That's what I'm most interested in seeing.

Yoshichan said:
Clearly game design isn't as important for you, as it is for the majority of the people who are complaining :p

I'm continuously playing the game because the early-to-mid-parts = SOOOOOOOO GOOD. But then I pretty much drink myself drunk and play the rest of the game. Fuck yeah, let's GO

I just don't get the gripes really. Cast Light makes Cata/Tomb no issue at all. The Crystal Cave is scary at first until you realize how easy it is. But then again I was a Pyro and my fire spells destroyed Tomb, so I could see Tomb being much harder if you didn't have those.

def sim

demosthenes said:
I just don't get the gripes really. Cast Light makes Cata/Tomb no issue at all. The Crystal Cave is scary at first until you realize how easy it is. But then again I was a Pyro and my fire spells destroyed Tomb, so I could see Tomb being much harder if you didn't have those.

Lost Izalith is the only truly bad place in the game. It's so bad. You will see.

Yoshichan

moonspeak said:
it just might be!

tumblr_lt7f3n8Azx1r0y0f8o1_500.png
Hell yeah, one of my favorite parts of the trailer was when Ornstein flies and lands on the ground. Really reminds me of how great the trailers were for this game.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Wow. Capra Demon was owning me for a while until I decided to switch to my Zweihander +5. Killed him on one try! Totally forgot it does 70 physical damage reduction--plus it's just damn strong. I had fallen in love with my Halberd +5 for it's ease of use.

Owensboro

rance said:
Lost Izalith is the only truly bad place in the game. It's so bad. You will see.

I never had a problem with the place. I must be a bad person :(

Zimbardo said:
Ornstein and Smough, imo, is the most epic battle in the whole game.

Soloing that fight, killing Smough first, is one of the greatest rushes the game has given me. It took multiple tries (on NG+), but I finally pulled it off and felt like such a supreme bad ass.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Is it just me, or does lock-on work worse than it did in Demon's Souls?

Pretty odd, considering how vital lock-on is to combat. You don't really realize how vital it is until you encounter cloaked enemies that you can't lock on to. I really love how the only reliable way to back up without getting backstabbed is to roll back at the exact time you should be recovering stamina.

It's still a pretty good game, but with the game setting the stakes for each life as high as they are, the combat had better be flawless to place all the onus of success on the player. It's too bad that isn't the case.

rance said:

Haha, going there when I get home so I'll see then :)

Zimbardo said:

So far, agree.

The Crimson Kid said:
Is it just me, or does lock-on work worse than it did in Demon's Souls?

Pretty odd, considering how vital lock-on is to combat. You don't really realize how vital it is until you encounter cloaked enemies that you can't lock on to. I really love how the only reliable way to back up without getting backstabbed is to roll back at the exact time you should be recovering stamina.

It's still a pretty good game, but with the game setting the stakes for each life as high as they are, the combat had better be flawless to place all the onus of success on the player. It's too bad that isn't the case.

This is a common complaint.

Yoshichan

Zimbardo said:
This is pretty much mostly because of Sakimotos' genius song he decided to create for the battle!

Soma

Zimbardo said:
Definitely tied with Sif as my favorite boss fight. Both songs for each battle are so good.

knitoe

Owensboro said:
I was under the impression that if you +5 all the black iron pieces it becomes the "best" all around set. Of course, if you wear all 4 pieces there is a huge Stamina kill, so it's best to wear 3 pieces and sub out the 4th. I'm currently rocking the chest, gauntlets, and legs with a Mask of the Child to up my stamina recovery. Chest and Guantlets are +5, I'm working in my NG+ to get the legs all the way up.

I really hope that guide has item stats when it comes in. That's what I'm most interested in seeing.
With major stamina recovery reduction, the Giant +5 set has highest armor rating.

With minor stamina recovery reduction, the Steel +5 set.

With no reduction, the Elite Knight +5 set.

Yoshichan

I understand why everyone thinks Sif and Bill and Bull are the best bosses in the game...

But clearly, GAF doesn't appreciate magic when it's being spoon-fed to ya :p The best boss in the game is called Moonlight Butterfly. Best music, best atmosphere, crazy amazing design and overall a whole bunch of "THIS GAME IS OMG!".

Upon beating it, I was considering posting just a whole page of spam (as I was so damn hyped afterwards). Luckily, my brain realized that it would probably get me banned so I skipped doing that :p

Wallachia said:
Can someone translate that new patch info? I am dying to know what it mentions..

What...?? Game got patched?

Found this on another site:

More updated patch notes here:
http://form.fromsoftware.jp/darksouls/blog/

(Google) translated patch notes. Read "review" as revision.

Is planned to verify and support - "Major Case"]
• Some magic, review of the effectiveness
Magic shield · strong magic shield
· History of gentle peace
· Rings and fog
Infinite magic and item use ·
To attribute weapon · weapons capability review of the balance
• Conditional Adjustment Matching
· When switching defects and map reading

For more cases, in the current measures,
We plan to update the file with immediate improvement.

Delivery dates for the latest updates,
We will announce the official WEB site at the decision again soon.
We will also be published later again modified to fit more of the items.

http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

(Google) Translated patch notes:

[Fix] improved the major cases
- "Shield" magic "magic shield" strong effect, not have become effective by the bug shield
continuous use of magic · magic bug trigger delay

(I believe this means the greater magic shield spell swap glitch is fixed)

- "Fog Ring "Review of non-locking effect

(Self-explanatory. Fog ring no longer dominates PVP)

- "History of gentle peace" review of the effects of the
failure load when switching · Map

(Fixes for Tranquil Walk of Peace)

• Conditional matching and coordination of
improvement ※ The details of the items will be announced at a later date.

(Matchmaking improvements)

Yoshichan

demosthenes said:
What...?? Game got patched?

1.04 patch is incoming:

Fixes to certain spells and effects:
- Magic Shield, Strong Magic Shield
- Tranquil Walk of Peace
- Ring of Fog, etc.
Unlimited uses of magic and items
Regular weapons rebalanced against reinforced weapons
Adjustments to the player matching conditions
Loading problems when switching between maps
Of particular note is the matchmaking fix, as there have been reports of problems for those trying to find co-op buddies or invade other players, and a change to the Ring of Fog, which has rapidly become notorious for its overpowered use in PvP situations.

I'm so glad they're fixing elemental weapons and stat scaling!

Through with Blighttown now I guess. I'm at Queen Witch Qauaaargh. Any tips for her that doesn't involve running back to a smith or someone else and get weapon upgrades?

linko9

knitoe said:
With major stamina recovery reduction, the Giant +5 set has highest armor rating.

With minor stamina recovery reduction, the Steel +5 set.

With no reduction, the Elite Knight +5 set.

You mean elite knight +10 :)

So I'm hearing a lot of complaints about lost Izalith... what exactly don't people like about it? I thought it was a really cool area, and it was fun getting all of the goat dinosaurs to kill each other.

Sir Garbageman said:
Some armors effect stamina recovery...?

Yep, with some of them - it's only certain pieces, with others its every piece in the set. Don't have the guide on hand at the moment (at work) to give more details.

But some give minor hits, some give major hits. Think this happened in Demon's Souls also if I recall correctly.

Haven't exactly sat down with a stop-watch or anything to do comparisons to verify - but after ditching my Black Iron armor (apparently a Major reduction) back to a full set of Elite Knight - subjectively speaking, it did feel as if my stamina was recovering faster - but who knows, reading that info may just be skewing my perception.

def sim

Owensboro said:
I never had a problem with the place. I must be a bad person :(

I'm not okay with battles of attrition. Such a lazily designed place and the way the enemies were placed around the area made it seem like they went "fuck it, put em wherever you can."

I'm fine with Demon Ruin's right before. I see the purpose of all those boss enemies (how far you've come and all) blocking the path. It was still fun, it played like how the game has been playing all along. Past the centipede boss, it felt like a grind. It doesn't help that the sound effect for walking over lava and the overall aesthetic is gaudy to all hell.

Just got the Titanite Demon's Pole after killing the one near the Blacksmith. 297 damage pre Capra Demon lol. It also scales with DEX, STR and INT. Also got a black night shield and am rockin the game butt naked.

Wallachia said:
So the Wiki has a list of player ID's and comments.. This is cool and all, but how do you meet up with a specific friend? And how do you trade items?

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Playstation+Network+ID+(PSN)

Sign a petition.

knitoe

Hope, they fix the Stonesword. Much worst then the Fog ring.

Why I never leave home without them when someone invades me

linko9 said:
You mean elite knight +10 :)

So I'm hearing a lot of complaints about lost Izalith... what exactly don't people like about it? I thought it was a really cool area, and it was fun getting all of the goat dinosaurs to kill each other.
Yeah. +10. Now, wish damn slabs would drop so I can move from +9 to +10.

Toth

Just curious but are there bonfires in Londo ruins and the crystal caves?

Besides the ones that spawn after the boss of course lol

Kurod

Banned
Sniper McBlaze said:
Through with Blighttown now I guess. I'm at Queen Witch Qauaaargh. Any tips for her that doesn't involve running back to a smith or someone else and get weapon upgrades?

I was lucky enough to be able to summon a pair of fellow Warriors of Sunlight for that fight. We all spammed Miracle:Lightning Spear. It was like a swarm of mini-zeus's.

def sim

Toth said:

No, just a fairly quick shortcut in New Londo and the fact that you don't have to fight anyone in the crystal caves.

Yoshichan

Sseklebeast said:
Beaten by a little Yoshi omg!
I was looking for my Yoshichan-deal-with-it.gif for a good 4-5 minutes but I can't find it ;_;!

edit: YAY!!!

0lTEs.gif

Kurod said:
I was lucky enough to be able to summon a pair of fellow Warriors of Sunlight for that fight. We all spammed Miracle:Lightning Spear. It was like a swarm of mini-zeus's.

LOL

Toth said:

Nope, none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom