• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spy said:
I killed my first Pyromancer trainer in Blighttown because he started randomly attacking me. I had only upgraded my Pyromancy Flame to +3 and I've never had the second Pyromancer trainer spawn. Am I stuck with a +3 Pyromancy Flame till NG+?

There's one more in the Chaos Covenant place. It's an
egg carrier
so don't kill him.

linko9

So I'd like to talk about the story of this game, if any one's interested. It's one of those stories that doesn't force itself on you, you have to really dig it up and piece it together yourself. I love this, but it can certainly be confusing. Spoilers ahead.

What I really love about the story is how at some point, you realize that it's basically telling the story of an ancient mythology, and contains many familiar themes and character archetypes from existing mythologies. The basic theme of the game is of a human overthrowing the gods, ending the age of the gods, and ushering in the age of humans. I see Gwyn as sort of a Cronos character, which would make Lloyd Uranus, and your character, taken alongside your character the pygmy, is a sort of Zeus/Prometheus hybrid. Or maybe you could say that Gwyn is Zeus/Odin, and you're just an archetypal human, overthrowing the gods completely, You're basically living in the "Age of the Gods" in this universe, and acting out the most important event in that age. Pretty cool stuff.

There are still some things I don't completely understand, like the whole undead/hollow situation. How does someone attain a darksign and become undead? What makes an undead become hollow? Why is there a difference between two types of "hollowness": one where where you just look like a zombie, and one where you look and act like a zombie? Isn't everyone in Lordran undead? If so, how can they die? Aren't they all supposed to come back to life indefinitely? Also, why was Lord Gwyn imprisoned, and by who? And why are you able to visit his tomb, when he's clearly alive somewhere else?

Anilusion said:
How can I see my NAT type? And how come it's like that with your chars?

Because he played the game for 30 hours when it was out for 30 hours and raced ahead of everyone. Now there are a lot of people playing it.

I would blame it at least partly on that.

Zzoram

Wallachia said:
I think it is all us NAT TYPE 3's that are having the 1 summon a night type thing. All the NAT TYPE 2's get to ho around all you want.. luckies.
I'm NAT 2 and have been mostly successful summoning whenever I try. I get a few summon fails but more success overall, and even if it's failing new signs show up for me to try.

Anilusion said:
How can I see my NAT type? And how come it's like that with your chars?
If on ps3, test your network with the ps3 option, scroll down when it shows the results, it should tell you what NAT you have.

Deadstar said:
I think I'll try heading to New Londo then....when I went there earlier I got smoked by the ghosts. But now I'm 20 or so levels higher and I believe I have some anti curse gear.

You need to be cursed to hurt them if you don't have a cursed weapon.

The first guy that charges you drops 2 transiet curses, they give you curse but not 1/2 hp. Use one, put on the ring that increases items and start killing ghosts w/ your strongest weapon and you'll get plenty of transiet curse items. I had 20+ before I knew it.

Anilusion

Cloudius12 said:
If on ps3, test your network with the ps3 option, scroll down when it shows the results, it should tell you what NAT you have.

I'm on NAT2, seems to be the best for dark souls, going by this thread?

1stStrike

Banned
linko9 said:
So I'd like to talk about the story of this game, if any one's interested. It's one of those stories that doesn't force itself on you, you have to really dig it up and piece it together yourself. I love this, but it can certainly be confusing. Spoilers ahead.

What I really love about the story is how at some point, you realize that it's basically telling the story of an ancient mythology, and contains many familiar themes and character archetypes from existing mythologies. The basic theme of the game is of a human overthrowing the gods, ending the age of the gods, and ushering in the age of humans. I see Gwyn as sort of a Cronos character, which would make Lloyd Uranus, and your character, taken alongside your character the pygmy, is a sort of Zeus/Prometheus hybrid. Or maybe you could say that Gwyn is Zeus/Odin, and you're just an archetypal human, overthrowing the gods completely, You're basically living in the "Age of the Gods" in this universe, and acting out the most important event in that age. Pretty cool stuff.

There are still some things I don't completely understand, like the whole undead/hollow situation. How does someone attain a darksign and become undead? What makes an undead become hollow? Why is there a difference between two types of "hollowness": one where where you just look like a zombie, and one where you look and act like a zombie? Isn't everyone in Lordran undead? If so, how can they die? Aren't they all supposed to come back to life indefinitely? Also, why was Lord Gwyn imprisoned, and by who? And why are you able to visit his tomb, when he's clearly alive somewhere else?

Good points. While I thought the story was interesting, there is a lot of missing links which I believe is the reason why later on in the game the player starts to lose touch with the story and aren't as attached to what they're doing. If the story had been just a bit more fleshed out, this would have likely alleviated a lot of complaints.

linko9

1stStrike said:
Good points. While I thought the story was interesting, there is a lot of missing links which I believe is the reason why later on in the game the player starts to lose touch with the story and aren't as attached to what they're doing. If the story had been just a bit more fleshed out, this would have likely alleviated a lot of complaints.

Yeah, unfortunately the story only really makes sense if you do one of the most obscure and unintuitive things in the game (
that is, don't place the lordvessel when you get it, but hang onto it and beat the four kings, then speak to Kaathe
). And then the rest of the backstory is explained in item descriptions.

1stStrike said:

Yep! A little more backstory on the big 4 (and end boss) would have helped. Or maybe even a brief dialog before some of the boss battles(would it be a dialog if the protagonist is silent?).

linko9 said:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60612627

People have posted their theories here if you want to read into it. It's an interesting thread to say the least.

Anilusion said:
I'm on NAT2, seems to be the best for dark souls, going by this thread?
That is indeed the best. I think putting your PS3 in DMZ mode gives you NAT Type 2 as well.

I think because of the multiple lobby, it can either be the best night you ever had or the emptiest night you ever had.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
How viable is a non-magic build in this game? I'm in my high 30s right now, going with light armor and a dex build. I mostly use bandit dagger/estoc and a longbow, and I haven't put any points into faith or int. Am I going to hit a wall later, or get screwed by casters?

1stStrike

Banned
Booshka said:
Won't happen, unless From supports this game as much as Bungie/343 support Halo, I don't see it going past 5 OT's

Today's forecast has no sign of negativity in it - get out of here with that stuff :p

linko9 said:
Yeah, unfortunately the story only really makes sense if you do one of the most obscure and unintuitive things in the game (
that is, don't place the lordvessel when you get it, but hang onto it and beat the four kings, then speak to Kaathe
). And then the rest of the backstory is explained in item descriptions.

That's neat - I wasn't aware of that. Will give it a whirl on run through #2.

Anilusion

Cloudius12 said:
That is indeed the best. I think putting your PS3 in DMZ mode gives you NAT Type 2 as well.

I think because of the multiple lobby, it can either be the best night you ever had or the emptiest night you ever had.

DMZ mode?

Finalow

i still don't know how to go back in the prision area at duke's archives. :'(
the boss of that area is already dead.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Akuun said:
How viable is a non-magic build in this game? I'm in my high 30s right now, going with light armor and a dex build. I mostly use bandit dagger/estoc and a longbow, and I haven't put any points into faith or int. Am I going to hit a wall later, or get screwed by casters?

My first character was an almost completely non-magic, Dex-focused warrior. I used an occasional Pyromancy, but other than that got through the game no problem with nothing but swords, bows, and moxie. It's perfectly do-able on a first playthrough.

linko9

Akuun said:

I never put anything into magic until NG+. This game is much more lenient on not screwing you over no matter how you allocate stats. Whereas in Demon's souls, you basically had to pick strength, magic, or dex, and do minimal upgrades to the other stats, the lightning/fire weapons in this game mean that you'll be fine pretty much no matter what you do. And that makes me sad. Just don't put any points into RES; it becomes almost worthless very soon, as your physDEF can't exceed 399.

BeeDog

Damn, the gargoyles are destroying me during NG+. I can manage the one that's alone, but when the second fire-breathing one swoops down I'm as good as dead in one shot.

Anyone got any suggestions?

BeeDog said:
Damn, the gargoyles are destroying me during NG+. I can manage the one that's alone, but when the second fire-breathing one swoops down I'm as good as dead in one shot.

I guess you could try summoning Soltaire. Perhaps fire def ring?

Grinchy

Banned
Akuun said:
I'm currently lvl 50 with 40 DEX. I have like 14 VIT and the rest has gone into END. It has been entirely doable and bad ass. I have only used the bandit's knife so far except I do have a balder side sword that I use occasionally. I upgraded a shotel too, and I have tried it a couple times but it hasn't become a regular weapon for me yet.

The only walls I've noticed are certain bosses. If you can't hit them enough times in a row and fast enough, you'll do no damage to them with the dagger. I just killed the I
ron Golem
on the top of Sen's with a dagger, and it wasn't easy. Try it out, it's very rewarding.

vilmer_ said:
The lightning spear +5 has been fun, but I'd rather wield a lightning greataxe. Slab farming here we come.

NG+ for me, those wraiths don't give me anything. 2 trips into New Londo and then a few trips for farming I couldn't get a single chunk, let alone a slab :lol

Macattk15 said:
What weapon do you guys recommend as using for an INT based Pyromancer?

Using lightning spear myself but my INT is only 22 or so :p

zlatko said:
The dragon is easy if you have a ton of arrows. Just sit back and let them fly and he can't do shit if you are out of range. The flying raven/crow men are dumb and it's honestly best to just avoid them/run away.

The boss for the area if you pick to engage is a toughy sort of. You'll see, but it's optional. Fun fight though when you think about it.

Thanks :) I'll give it a try later or tomorrow, I've got 100 something arrows, I hope that's enough because after I fired a couple of arrows at him I gave up after seeing its life bar barely moving :(

I'm loving this game more and more.

BeeDog

Cloudius12 said:
I guess you could try summoning Soltaire. Perhaps fire def ring?

Oh shit, completely forgot about him. Will try it, thanks!

Follow-up question; if he dies during the fight, and then I die, what happens? Can I re-summon him or am I shit out of luck for his later quest lines?

BeeDog said:

Follow-up question; if he dies during the fight, and then I die, what happens? Can I re-summon him or am I shit out of luck for his later quest lines?

He died for one of my fights, pretty sure I was able to summon him later.

Booshka

BeeDog said:

Summon Solaire and focus on taking down the first one with 2H aggression, Solaire will hopefully distract the other one for long enough. Then you should be fine with the other one by itself.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
BeeDog said:

weakness:beating to a pulp

BeeDog said:

Up to a certain point in the game. For now if he dies, he shows up for the next one.

Edit: Aww hell, I just realized I spelled his named wrong lol

vilmer_

demosthenes said:
NG+ for me, those wraiths don't give me anything. 2 trips into New Londo and then a few trips for farming I couldn't get a single chunk, let alone a slab :lol

I've managed to snag a few chunks, but it looks like the slabs will be a bit of a timesink if I decide to do this :p I still haven't beaten the Four Kings, tried a couple times and it seemed like they were endlessly respawning lol!

Urban Scholar said:
Where do you guys normaly see people leave their signs by the O&S fight? Right in front of the fog?
From what I have seen, I seen some right near the switch/lever after the rotating bridge. I did hear about some before the fog.

vilmer_

Urban Scholar said:
Where do you guys normaly see people leave their signs by the O&S fight? Right in front of the fog?

Usually the pathway before the big flight of stairs. Sometimes at the bottom of the stairs as well as the bonfire. The other night there was a constant influx of summoning signs, it was insane.

Cloudius12 said:
From what I have seen, I seen some right near the switch/lever after the rotating bridge. I did hear about some before the fog.

vilmer_ said:
Usually the pathway before the big flight of stairs. Sometimes at the bottom of the stairs as well as the bonfire. The other night there was a constant influx of summoning signs, it was insane.

thanks gents

vilmer_ said:
I've managed to snag a few chunks, but it looks like the slabs will be a bit of a timesink if I decide to do this :p I still haven't beaten the Four Kings, tried a couple times and it seemed like they were endlessly respawning lol!

They do. Eat green moss to increase your stamina regen. 2h your weapon, don't even worry about blocking. Just mash, mash and mash. Drink a flask when you need to. You should be able to kill one, and use your flask between spawns.

When I fought O&S, there were 5-10 summon signs in the 3-5 minutes I was before the fog door.

The_Monk

Ok
capra demons is DONE
where should I go next GAF? Thanks.

PS: One week without playing Dark Souls and I had to learn all again, wow...!

Just beat the game
I saw an area open up after I killed Gwyn. But in my haste to get to the bonfire I didn't read that it was going to Link the fire. What was that area? Anyways what a shitty ending! Nothing explained??? No cutscene, nothing?

bitoriginal

Finally finished my first run, clocked up 79 hours. Took my time, did a bit of farming for humanity and slaughtered every NPC in the game at the end before I decided to take on the final boss.

GOTY for me, loved it. I loved how they handled the story. They gave me enough morsals to feast upon to keep me wondering and coming up with theories as to what and who exactly I was, and where I was, and why I was there. So good.

I just hope they iron out the multiplayer issues so that we get some decent pvp action without glitchers and shit.

DeadFalling said:
Just beat the game
I saw an area open up after I killed Gwyn. But in my haste to get to the bonfire I didn't read that it was going to Link the fire. What was that area? Anyways what a shitty ending! Nothing explained??? No cutscene, nothing?
iirc the other path is the other ending, you happen to get the "good" ending I think

linko9 said:
I never put anything into magic until NG+. This game is much more lenient on not screwing you over no matter how you allocate stats. Whereas in Demon's souls, you basically had to pick strength, magic, or dex, and do minimal upgrades to the other stats, the lightning/fire weapons in this game mean that you'll be fine pretty much no matter what you do. And that makes me sad. Just don't put any points into RES; it becomes almost worthless very soon, as your physDEF can't exceed 399.

That wasn't my experience with Demon's Souls. I have a sort of compulsion about stats getting "left behind", so my stats were never more than a few numbers off from each other. And I kicked that game's ass twice over, no problem.

So far I'm finding the opposite in Dark Souls. The game is so damn stingy with the souls that I've forced myself to leave the magic stats behind. I haven't put one point into Faith yet. Now I'm finding that I really should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom