• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to get out of the
Paint World of Ariamis?

I got in there at level 38 and I'm kinda getting pwned... if I can't get out I'll simply try to beat the dragon and the flying thingies somehow, though :p

FINALBOSS said:
Anything past 50 on any of the stats have severe diminishing returns though, right?

Something like that. I don't know the specifics.

I'd like to see the numbers, but without them I have gathered that going lightning is probably the easiest/best way to go for a first playthrough unless you are quite serious about grinding. This may change with the patch, though as they are supposed to balance the stat scaling.

orion434

Americanmushroom said:
Ok GAF i have a few questions, would be awesome if answered:

Im 'cursed' ...

-Where's the cheapest solution , that black dude above the church right? How much were these again?

-What's the best outfit to not be cursed again. I'm at the boss that curses you with ice.
-Where's the easiest way to farm souls without cheating. Darkroot garden?
- Any advice on the curse thing? I'll try the ruins finally cause i never did it, heard i could kill ghost while cursed.
- Also, the dude at firelink is gone and the bonfire can't be lit again, how to resolve that?
thanks

If you can go back to the Undead Asylum you can trade a Cracked red Orb for 2 Purging stones with the Hawk Girl.

Darkone said:
Dont know what to do, i have the lightning spear at +4 and i dont know if i should make it +5 and waste my only Titanite Slab.

Any advice on this one??

Do you plan to get any other weapon with lightning (a katana or something)? If not, go for it.

zlatko

Banned
Risk Breaker said:
Paint World of Ariamis?

I got in there at level 38 and I'm kinda getting pwned... if I can't get out I'll simply try to beat the dragon and the flying thingies somehow, though :p

The dragon is easy if you have a ton of arrows. Just sit back and let them fly and he can't do shit if you are out of range. The flying raven/crow men are dumb and it's honestly best to just avoid them/run away.

The boss for the area if you pick to engage is a toughy sort of. You'll see, but it's optional. Fun fight though when you think about it.

kodt

Banned
prodystopian said:
Well, the reason not to go lightning is if you plan to go very high on Dex. I've heard +15 doesn't outdo +5 lightning until something like 50 or 60 dex, though, so you'd have to be quite dedicated to Dex for that to work out.

Yeah +15 is best if you have a weapon that has a good scale rating once you get high enough. Also, it is easier to stagger enemies b/c all of the damage is of one type and isn't split between two different defense ratings.

Finalow

finalozzo said:
is anyone here at ng+ and at the tomb of giants? What level?

then, have octopuses at duke's archives a better drop rate of humanity? (rats don't have a good drop rate).
anyone?

johntown

Banned
Risk Breaker said:
Paint World of Ariamis?

Unless you have the Lordvessel (which allows you to warp) which I assume you don't you have to beat the end boss to escape.

RaPt[+]R

Neo Member
FINALBOSS said:
I started as a Pyro (only lvl1 starting char and you get a catalyst early on from a body). The MAIN thing I would grab first is the ring that Griggs sells for 20k souls--the one that boosts sorcery power. Any pyro/sorc should be wearing that bad boy. You can't get him until a few hours in though.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I will probably be a pyro in light of what you mentioned.

redhot_ said:
Yes if you got the materials. The enemies dont hit that much harder though. Oh for any melee, Elite Knight Armor+10 body is really sick for a pretty simple and easy upgrade.

After looking through the strategy guide, I was rather surprised at how well that armor holds up once upgraded - and no hit on stamina recovery either.

Booshka

Woo OT3!

I'm on NG+ and I am pleasantly surprised to see that they don't increase the costs of items in relation to the increase in souls you get for killing enemies. Makes upgrading and buying spells much easier.

I was able to find the master trainer for Pyromancy this time around, I just need to grind a bit so I can afford the upgrades.

ced

I think I'm going to call it quits now after beating (well assisting the phantoms I summoned) Ornstein and Smough.

I'm surprised I made it this far, and enjoyed it as much as I did even though it's a technical mess.

Time to move on to Batman and then Skyrim.

finalozzo said:

The octopuses in Dukes Archives and the skeleton babies in the tomb of giants have the best drop rate for humanity in the game. The good thing about the skeleton babies is that they keep respawning without having to go back to the bonfire the bad things consist of going through the tomb of giants and the humanity instantly disappearing as soon as it drops so if you aren't fast enough you won't get to pick it up.

Guevara

How exactly does the lordvessel work?

-Can you warp to any bonfire, or just some?
-Can you warp to bonfires you haven't found yet?
-Can you warp to bonfires that are out (i.e. Firelink)?
-Is there any cost to use it? or do you loose anything like souls?
-Can you only warp when you are at a bonfire?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been 5 minutes from getting it for about 2 hours lol.

johntown said:
Unless you have the Lordvessel (which allows you to warp) which I assume you don't you have to beat the end boss to escape.

Can't warp out of the bonfire (it is cutoff is the message).

You don't have to fight any bosses to escape but there are some tricky situations you have to overcome to escape. May require a suicide run or two at that level.

First goal is to run through the towers and get to the courtyard (run by the Phalanx) and open the large doors that opens a shortcut from the bonfire to the courtyard.

Second goal is to get into the basement, fight/dodge the wheel skeletons, and turn the wheel to turn the statue.

Third, Run the along the "new bridge" under the dragon into Priscilla's chamber. Watch for heavy ambush on the bridge.

Finally, get to priscilla and just ignore her. Run behind her and you will leave the painting. Can go back later to clean up when you are better prepared.

Risible

FROM are such trolls.

What's the first thing Patches says when he kicks you down the hole...AGAIN? The second time in as many games?

"This is what I do, my friend!"

This is what you do indeed, Patches, you magnificent bastard. <salute>

Soma

Sullichin said:
People in NG+/NG++.. how many hours have you sunk into this game? damn.
I just got into the Lower Undead Burg on NG+ and I've put in about 82 hours altogether.

Excko

johntown said:

Actually, that is not true.
You don't have to beat the end boss to escape. You can just walk by her and go to the plank, and it will let you out.

Wallachia

finalozzo said:
@Wallachia: yep, online sucks.

Thanks man. Damn, I wonder if certain covenants are getting better online results than others. Oh well, a friend at Bandai Namco told me the next patch (in a week or so) will help the online summoning alot..

johntown

Banned
Guevara said:
How exactly does the lordvessel work?

-Can you warp to any bonfire, or just some?
-Can you warp to bonfires you haven't found yet?
-Can you warp to bonfires that are out (i.e. Firelink)?
-Is there any cost to use it? or do you loose anything like souls?
-Can you only warp when you are at a bonfire?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been 5 minutes from getting it for about 2 hours lol.

1. Just some

2. No

3. No cost

4. Yes

johntown said:

You can't warp out of painted world. You get a message about the bonfire not being connected.

His only options are (1) kill undead dragon, jump attack (forward+R2) corpse, drop down run to end or (2) open courtyard doors, climb down well, deal with rolling bastards, find switch to turn courtyard statue and open bottom path, run/fight to end. He can skip the boss, lucky for him.

--

Best curse gear I've found is the crimson set. It has huge curse resistance -- it's the same armor Ingward wears, FYI... someone posted pictures a page or so back wearing it.

--

You can farm purging stones from the clams in Ash Lake. I was trying to farm twinkling titanite so I could further upgrade my Astora's straight sword, but they kept dropping purging stones.

But if you're decently leveled, I recommend doing New Londo while cursed -- at the very least take out enough ghosts with the gold covetous serpent ring on and you'll get a stack of transient curse items (and maybe a ghost blade). By the time I was done with the ghosts and drained the water, I had +28 (29 total) transient curse items.

Guevara said:
Thanks. I'm probably crazy for trying Ornstein & Blough at level 40, and without a lightning weapon.

If you have pyromancy, you don't need a weapon. I never touched either of them with my lightning spear and I did it right around your level (maybe a little bit higher).

bunbun777

Well just beat the game--
Too short of an ending. I know there are two variations, I went with lighting the fire, and all I did was burn it up. Became one with the flame or some such thing. No voice over, no written text, nothing. I know this game is layered in mystery and esoteric principles but dammmm.

Finished @ SL 72

V-20
A-14
E-40
S-22
D-21
R-10
I-15
F-11

Now just gotta get my Strength to 50, get some more slots for magic, jack up my INT and FTH, then after the patch I can pump up the DEX. Oh this game.

Damn, I've been roaming all over and can't figure out where to go. What and where is the first main demon you should be fighting?

I've already fought: Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, and Moonlight Butterfly. I tried taking on the water dragon thing in Darkroot Basin, but it seems too strong for my melee/fire magic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Posting to subscribe.

I just want to say I love this game. I think I may have enjoyed the structure of Demon's Souls more, but Dark Souls is definitely better in some ways.

I just finished the Gaping Dragon and have been wandering around grinding a bit. I'm still not sure where I should go next.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
COR BLIMEY, IT'S THE MOTHERFUCKING OT3!

THIS PARTY'S GETTING CRAZY

LET'S ROCK!

*starts a new character*

Aconn1283 said:
me neither...had to put the game away for a lil while...started to get so mad i couldnt even play right. can almost kill him...then...
his twin comes in and kicks my ass
. anyone have any advice????????????????????????

You can quite easily kill the first one before the other reaches you, just stay on the downward slope of the roof so his swipes pass over you and batter him with heavy shots. Some of that lighting juice for your weapon might help.

YoungHav said:
my bad if this was answered before, but how many playthroughs are needed to get the Platinum trophy, 3?

You can get it in 2.5 -- the only thing that requires the third playthrough is the fact you need Sif's soul for a 3rd boss weapon. Otherwise, most boss souls are only 1 or 2 weapon acensions per.

You have to beat it twice to get both endings... other than that, the rest is dictated by the rare drops you need to get to finish the rare weapon trophy.

SUBZERO-08 said:
Damn, I've been roaming all over and can't figure out where to go. What and where is the first main demon you should be fighting?

I've already fought: Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, and Moonlight Butterfly. I tried taking on the water dragon thing in Darkroot Basin, but it seems too strong for my melee/fire magic.

You don't list the gargoyles. Those should be after the Taurus demon. If you haven't done them, you need to do them next.

Undead Church > lower Undead Burg > The Depths > Blighttown

demosthenes said:
Don't go to the ruins unless you're going to talk to the blacksmith that's technically not even in the ruins.

Keep exploring Undead Burg and you'll find the boss I'm talking about and the stuff I said applies.

Thanks for the advice!

johntown said:

Even if you have the Lordvessle you cant use it to warp out of the painted world - a message pops up saying that this bonfire is cut off from the others.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
FINALBOSS said:
I don't consider myself the best DS player, but I'd think I'm pretty much unkillable as a sorc with homing crystal soulmass.

That spell is unbelievable. I just toss it up and if you try and swing at me, I just block and it pretty much 1 shots you. I think mine hits for 1.5k

Where do you obtain such an awesome spell?

54-46!

It's weird, I went in to this game expecting not to like it but now I'm 30 hours and in my interest in other upcoming titles have declined drastically.

Finalow

StunandStab said:
I'm way past there, but I spent a lot of time farming humanity there at level 127. It's pretty fast. I'm level 150 now... will be heading to NG++ soon
how can i go back to the prison area in duke's archives?
damn no teleport. =|

Wallachia

The game that keeps on GIVING! Got the whip in Blighttown last nite. Impressive that it's in the game, and looks cool upon hitting. Is it worth building up?

Blighttown - not a good level to play past midnight with the lights out, right before bed.. so creepy! Those skinny pumpkinhead looking ghouls are scary as hell!

Yoshichan said:
COR BLIMEY, IT'S THE MOTHERFUCKING OT3!

THIS PARTY'S GETTING CRAZY

LET'S ROCK!

*starts a new character*

You made me really scared for the ending areas and I loved the game all the way through. Still have Lost ____ w/e it is and the end boss left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom