• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Augemitbutter said:
it's very light and good for looks, high poison and bleed resistance and if you want to go for maximum agility. i have +5 on all but the helmet, +4 on that piece. almost done with ng+, never looked back.
Thanks. I'll probably stick with it then.

Xanathus

demosthenes said:
Nope. Next time you're crossing the invisible bridges put down signs, so next time you can just run across them.
Crystal Cave is actually pretty easy to run through once you know where the bridges are, because they are actually pretty wide and go in long straight lines.

Gwyn
, YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT! Feeling good, just beat Dark Souls. I think I'm going to take a little break before NG+. I want to do a lot more invasions and assistance on the next playthrough. I'm just happy I beat it!

Kyoufu said:
I'm so playing my Sorcerer again when they patch the game. 50 INT with the moonlight weapon...HNNNNNGGGG

I have 44+ INT (I can cast crystal soul spear)... should I be switching to try to use the moonlight greatsword? It was so slow that I didn't bother to try it only to see what the R2 attacks did. Maybe I should consider it for taking down 4 kings in NG+?

MedIC86

how do i get the
dont know what his name is, the lizard type guy in fireshrine were i can sell items to? do i have to clear the hollow and or ash lake or what else?

Infernodash said:
Gwyn
, YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT! Feeling good, just beat Dark Souls. I think I'm going to take a little break before NG+. I want to do a lot more invasions and assistance on the next playthrough. I'm just happy I beat it!
You think you might want to spoiler tag the name of the last boss? That's just common sense...

Santiako

Two questions:

-Can I continue playing after I kill the last boss or it's straight to the ending?

-Is there any downside in killing every merchant, blacksmith and fire keeper before I finish the game?

Santiako said:
Two questions:

-Can I continue playing after I kill the last boss or it's straight to the ending?

-Is there any downside in killing every merchant, blacksmith and fire keeper before I finish the game?
1. I don't think so
2. From what I've read in here, no. they all will respawn in ng+.

MechaGodzilla said:
Haha, thanks for the help!

The 5 easiest crystal lizard locations:
1 on the hill from darkroot basin to darkroot garden.
1 in the barrels in undead burg just before taurus demon fog gate.
2 in the catacombs just after you cross the first bridge, kill the two skeletons and the necro, hang a right and drop down -- there will be two of them just after some trap statues.
1 on the lost izalith side of the shortcut from demon's ruins to lost izalith. Just after the prowling demon if coming from lost izalith before you go down the stairs.

The ones that are in great hollow I never figured out how to get to; only the one that was on a root in front of me but disappeared faster than I could get to him while balancing on the root.

If you decide to farm the clams, do yourself 2 favors -- first, get a ton of homeward bones or get 18 faith and buy the homeward miracle... does tons for cutting down on farming time; and second, make sure you have gold serpent ring + 30 humanity. Even with those stats, I was getting more purging stones than twinkling titanite. The ash lake run takes forever, so I'd either stick near the bonfire just outside the tree and kill the 2 of them then warp or run back or i'd go for the crystal caverns as there's 6 or so in there, just make sure they don't gangbang you.

DigitalDevil said:
1. I don't think so
2. From what I've read in here, no. they all will respawn in ng+.

Correct on both counts.
I can vouch that Sin is reduced to 0 and everyone is reset to original states when NG+ is entered. When you beat Gwyn and choose your ending, you trigger the cutscene. Once done, the credits roll. Once those are done, the intro cinematic rolls again and you're put in the cell from the tutorial in the exact state you were when you beat gwyn (spells/loadout/number of uses remaining, etc.). And if you kill the tutorial abyss demon when you enter the room, you will get his special drop -- I floored him with some crystal soul masses and got my great demon hammer.

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
The 5 easiest crystal lizard locations:
1 on the hill from darkroot basin to darkroot garden.
1 in the barrels in undead burg just before taurus demon fog gate.
2 in the catacombs just after you cross the first bridge, kill the two skeletons and the necro, hang a right and drop down -- there will be two of them just after some trap statues.
1 on the lost izalith side of the shortcut from demon's ruins to lost izalith. Just after the prowling demon if coming from lost izalith before you go down the stairs.

The ones that are in great hollow I never figured out how to get to; only the one that was on a root in front of me but disappeared faster than I could get to him while balancing on the root.

If you decide to farm the clams, do yourself 2 favors -- first, get a ton of homeward bones or get 18 faith and buy the homeward miracle... does tons for cutting down on farming time; and second, make sure you have gold serpent ring + 30 humanity. Even with those stats, I was getting more purging stones than twinkling titanite. The ash lake run takes forever, so I'd either stick near the bonfire just outside the tree and kill the 2 of them then warp or run back or i'd go for the crystal caverns as there's 6 or so in there, just make sure they don't gangbang you.

there are 5 crystal lizards that spawn randomly in great hollow
there are 2 crystal lizards in crystal cave
there is one crystal lizard at the end of tomb of the giants
one at duke's archives

Insaniac

corrosivefrost said:

don't really need homeward bones theres a bonfire right next to them after you kill
seath

Anyway, twinkling titinate has a pretty low drop rate I had 410 item find and still only got 1 maybe every 20 kills. You do get a ton of purging stones which if anything you can "sell" to frampt for 1,000 souls a pop making it not too bad.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I've started this over the weekend. Not clicking with me like Demon's Souls did, probably just need to put more time into it. I think it's the "open world" thing that's not really meshing well.

I just rang the first bell and missed the little cutscene after that, and I have no idea where I'm supposed to go next, so I just kind of wandered aimlessly before taking a break.

Kyoufu

brandonh83 said:
How does one find BHL in the
Archives
?

Once imprisoned, get out then he is at the bottom behind the locked cage after you get the miracles. Just make sure you freed him at Sen's Fortress or you're eternally fucked like I was (well, until I loaded an earlier save from PS+).

Aselith

See You Next Wednesday said:
Also before I forget to ask again, but HOW TO I CHANGE TARGETS WITH THE LOCK-ON?
I systematically pressed every button on my controller, including teh guide, select & start buttons & it will not manually switch targets!
In Demons Souls, you just flicked the right analog stick left & right, but that doesn't work.

It's still supposed to be flick targeting but it's so jacked up mechanically that it doesn't work half the time. This game is a goddamn mess in a lot of ways compared to the Demon's Souls that I played (not sure how Demon's was at launch though.) Sometimes it'll target stuff way out of range, other times it just straight won't change.

Sec0nd

I'm at the very last zone. The game got a lot worse after Anor Londo but it's still very good and a lot of fun! Hope the ending is epic as this game deserves.

Zeliard

Aselith said:
It's still supposed to be flick targeting but it's so jacked up mechanically that it doesn't work half the time. This game is a goddamn mess in a lot of ways compared to the Demon's Souls that I played (not sure how Demon's was at launch though.) Sometimes it'll target stuff way out of range, other times it just straight won't change.

It has problems with targeting things at the edges of the screen. Typically what's in front of you is easy and quick enough to flick between. And just do quick, single flicks. None of this odd double flick thing that people have been talking about.

Demon's Souls' lock-on also had a tendency to unintentionally target enemies that were further away, particularly flying ones. In Dark Souls I think that issue can crop up more often because it seems like they extended the lock-on range.

Psy-Phi

Aselith said:
I just flick and it works every time. The only trouble I'veh ad with lock-on is the range being a little fickle, and a few moves enemies do that take the lock off at the wrong time causing my back to be exposed.

Xanathus

Sec0nd said:
I'm at the very last zone. The game got a lot worse after Anor Londo but it's still very good and a lot of fun! Hope the ending is epic as this game deserves.
Don't light the bonfire, walk out instead after killing the boss.

54-46!

I felt like I've built my Warrior wrong considering how much damage you can do without scalable weapons, I should've spent more points on VIT and END early on as opposed to STR and DEX.

Kalnos

Banned
hahahaha oh man I feel awful. I have been running people through the depths and I was helping this dude and the framerate dipped when I was jumping over one of those holes and I fell in and he followed me. Then he got cursed by a frog. : (

Zeliard said:
It has problems with targeting things at the edges of the screen. Typically what's in front of you is easy and quick enough to flick between. And just do quick, single flicks. None of this odd double flick thing that people have been talking about.

Demon's Souls' lock-on also had a tendency to unintentionally target enemies that were further away, particularly flying ones. In Dark Souls I think that issue can crop up more often because it seems like they extended the lock-on range.
I'm sure I've experienced this also, but it's never bothered me to the point where i got frustrated with the lock-on

sixghost

54-46! said:
I felt like I've built my Warrior wrong considering how much damage you can do without scalable weapons, I should've spent more points on VIT and END early on as opposed to STR and DEX.
Live and learn. I did the same with my first Thief. points in STR aren't really wasted as they can lead to the bigger weapons. Points in DEX over the minimum reqs are totally wasted though.

Zeliard

DigitalDevil said:
I'm sure I've experienced this also, but it's never bothered me to the point where i got frustrated with the lock-on

It has a few niggles but for the most part I think it works just fine.

More concerning is some strange input buffering lag that crops up at times.

Aselith

Zeliard said:

Problem being that flying enemies often jump over you so you're fighting one on each side due to the way they designed them. It makes particularly the Bell Gargoyle fight troublesome as a melee because they have a tendency to get on each side of you and if you need to switch targets quickly, which you often do, it can and does get you killed. For a game designed to be hard, mechanical failures which cause you to die can be frustrating.

Not saying it's a bad game but they dropped the ball here. The other thing I had a big issue with was when stuff jumps above you and you lose target lock while it's in the air about to come down on top of you...and then it comes down behind you for massive damage. That was always a good one.

Kyoufu said:
Once imprisoned, get out then he is at the bottom behind the locked cage after you get the miracles. Just make sure you freed him at Sen's Fortress or you're eternally fucked like I was (well, until I loaded an earlier save from PS+).
Sweet do you know where I find him after this too?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The Skeleton Wheel of Aramis; Killing me like a boss
CWG5v.gif

Trevelyon

Was there really any decent STR/DEX weapons that scaled expectionally? Can't find anything in my list as of yet. I jumped off DEX on 20 and just went STR/END/VIT never looked back.

Grinchy

Banned
Zeliard said:
More concerning is some strange input buffering lag that crops up at times.
I've been noticing this lately. I'd say it has only happened around 5 times, but it's definitely there. I will hit square for a flask, and literally 4 seconds later it finally registers, when it's too late and something is on its way to fuck me up lol

Yuterald

Trevelyon said:
Was there really any decent STR/DEX weapons that scaled expectionally? Can't find anything in my list as of yet. I jumped off DEX on 20 and just went STR/END/VIT never looked back.

The Black Bow of Pharis I believe has an S Rank modifier in DEX. However, since this game is as poorly balanced as Demon's Souls you will never be as strong as a pyromancer or sorcerer. Magic/Intelligence is just as out of whack as it was in Demon's Souls. I'm surprised/not surprised that they didn't fix this shit. I don't understand why in both these games you can't be as powerful as a tank/warrior as you can be with magic. It only gets worse as you newgame+ too. Armor becomes as pointless as it was in Demon's Souls, defense wise, but AT LEAST there is poise in this game.

I don't understand what happened to From in the stat department after their King's Field/Shadow Tower games. Both these games have HUGE scaling problems. Difficulties should be toggled or rather selectable after game completion. I was at my friends house the other day and he's on his 3rd new game+ and the ghosts in New Londo Ruins do RIDICULOUS damage despite wearing end game armor. So stupid. Please patch this shit From or actually MAKE changes to your stats, properly, for Demon's/Dark 3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finished it.

First two thirds of the game: 11/10
Last third: 6/10

Did they just run out of time?

Anyway, a lovely game. Not sure if I liked Demon's Souls better or not. A MARVELOUS open world that really schools all the big shits in the industry that make dull, empty garbage open world "experiences."

Ghost23

I'm in the farming spot in Darkroot something and the 20,000 skul gate turned into a white fog, leaving me stuck in the forest. Is this a glitch?

Noaloha

Trying to strike a balance for my adventuress between her looking passably fashionable and her actually wearing decent gear - it's tough! Like, gold-hemmed set is amazing in terms of stats but, shit, is it ugly. :[

My current get-up is thief's mask, which I've pretty much been wearing the entire game (I want a melee friendly circlet or something!), the crimson gloves (they strike a nice balance between classy-looking and appearing downright psychopathic), the gold-hemmed skirt (the only piece of that set which passes my style guidelines I'll have you know) and, the raiment that brings the whole look together, the white ninja jacket from those Painting Guardians. I'm having a damn hard time justifying this particular item of apparel to myself -- the stats are pretty damn awful -- but... it looks sooo good on my silver-haired zombienne!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom