• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooccoo

Can someone help? I just managed to kill the gargoyles but I dunno where to go. I explored and got my ass handed to me in no time

- Reached valley of drakes and got owned by electricity (later I managed to get the ring on top and killed myself jumping)
- Reached an area with a hydra that killed me instantly or almost from far away
- Reaches an area full of golems and a distant butterfly

Where the hell must I go ????

JVIDICAN

for new game++ I'm definitely going to dual wield furry swords. :O
I just wish I would have made the second one this time instead of the kantana.

Ooccoo said:
Can someone help? I just managed to kill the gargoyles but I dunno where to go. I explored and got my ass handed to me in no time

- Reached valley of drakes and got owned by electricity (later I managed to get the ring on top and killed myself jumping)

Lower Undead burg, Capra, and then Depths.

Ooccoo said:

Lower Undeadburg. You remember the bridge with the dragon? Right before that is a door to the right which was locked, but you can enter there now.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Ooccoo said:

Across a Titanite demon room down under the Blacksmith Andre, you will get to Darkroot garden.

btw who made up that rumour that if you have over 35 dex you do the backflip?

its a shame i have to dedicate one ring slot for the backflip now....but damn its handy.

Did anyone else hate the Tomb of Giants? Not being able to see a few feet in front of you is intense, but as a melee character without access to the light spell or that special helmet, having to switch between using the lantern and my shield during combat is pretty clunky and led to a lot of unnecessary deaths.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Phat Michael said:

its a shame i have to dedicate one ring slot for the backflip now....but damn its handy.
I have 41 DEX and I don't do back flip...

Chinpoko_Master said:
Did anyone else hate the Tomb of Giants? Not being able to see a few feet in front of you is intense, but as a melee character without access to the light spell or that special helmet, having to switch between using the lantern and my shield during combat is pretty clunky and led to a lot of unnecessary deaths.
Kinda easy to traverse the dark area if you are familiar with the route.

Pretty much a guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmcJunY-Pv4
Tomb of Giants starts at 8:40 or so.

I used this guy's way of reaching Nito without dying or lantern, lol.

Chinpoko_Master said:

Everyone hates the Tomb of the Giants.

JVIDICAN

Chinpoko_Master said:
I had the lantern in one left hand slot and crystal ring shield in the other. Took one step mashed the lock on button. If it locked on I switched slots and crystal ring shielded their asses. :p

Jonsoncao said:
I have 41 DEX and I don't do back flip...

nah man its before the game was released..there were loads of rumours about it. it was funny at the time. now it just means you need the dark wood grain ring to do it.

Styles

JVIDICAN said:
I had the lantern in one left hand slot and crystal ring shield in the other. Took one step mashed the lock on button. If it locked on I switched slots and crystal ring shielded their asses. :p

Exactly what I just did today, felt so fucking good after being clawed by those atrocious skulls.

bathala

Banned
Zzoram said:
Where is the key to rescue big hat Logan in dukes archives?
On the narrow bridge where a giant is throwing napalm. I believed u go to the left tower where the platform is broken and u have to jump.

There's a merchant inside but below is the key

Phat Michael said:
nah man its before the game was released..there were loads of rumours about it. it was funny at the time. now it just means you need the dark wood grain ring to do it.

Lets not forget all the rumors about the Pygmy, and the pendent. Also the rumor about being able to spair Sif and the rumor that you can get Sif and Priscilla to join you.

UFRA

corrosivefrost said:
I agree with what others have said about Resistance... mine is still < 12. Probably 10 and I'm at SL 105. :lol

However, level what you wish. If you like spells, level INT, if you like weapons you can't use, level dex or strength accordingly. I can tell you my stats right now are something like:

23 Vitality
19 Attunement
27 Endurance
22 Strength
20 Dexterity
10 Resistance
44 Intelligence
18 Faith

The intelligence spike didn't come until I started cranking INT towards the end of the game first run because I wanted to use homing crystal soul mass.

Anyway, what your problem is your +5 longsword. It's serviceable, but not great.
Most people at your level are using the drake sword, which you could do since you have >16 strength. I was using an Astora's straight sword +4 with 15 or so faith or a longsword +10 with magic weapon. If you can make it to the lightning spear, you can get that and not worry about what to replace your longsword +5 with, provided you can deal with the spear's attack animations. It would pair perfectly with your eagle shield.

Thank you, this was nice to see. It looks like I can still try to build a jack of all trades character (to an extent). I will just save that project for later and work on specific skills in the meantime.

I like my longsword, but yes I do realize it's not the best. Once I have access to the blacksmith that does lightning weapons I want to make it a lightning longsword, then it will be pretty sweet. I do have the Drake Sword, but was choosing to not use it since it can't do a thrust attack and Sen's Fortress has a lot of hallways.

If I use my Magic Weapon spell my longsword does 230 damage, so that is a bonus as well for tougher enemies.

Zzoram

bathala said:
On the narrow bridge where a giant is throwing napalm. I believed u go to the left tower where the platform is broken and u have to jump.

There's a merchant inside but below is the key
Dukes archives not Sen's fortress

JVIDICAN

Mortrialus said:
Lets not forget all the rumors about the Pygmy, and the pendent. Also the rumor about being able to spair Sif and the rumor that you can get Sif and Priscilla to join you.
Pygmy/Pendant is Dark Souls Land of Giants. ;_;

Mortrialus said:
Everyone hates the Tomb of the Giants.
I guess I haven't been following this thread closely enough.

Someone said that
Gravelord Nito
was easy. I disagree. I managed to beat him on my first try by myself, but my hands were shaking hardcore by the time I defeated him. I was so close to dying so many times, it was such a relief when I killed him. Felt so good man.

I also saw that
Patches the Hyena is in this game. Unfortunately, I had it spoiled for me when I read his name on a list of NPCs in a wiki. I guess this means that the universes of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are somehow connected? I'm interested to see if there are any more connections between the two.

JVIDICAN

bathala said:
Wait that's not logan in sens?

Cuz he got a big hat :p
The Old dumb ass manages to get himself locked up again. By the same mob no less.

Chinpoko_Master said:
I guess I haven't been following this thread closely enough.

Someone said that
Gravelord Nito
was easy. I disagree. I managed to beat him on my first try by myself, but my hands were shaking hardcore by the time I defeated him. I was so close to dying so many times, it was such a relief when I killed him. Felt so good man.
Most people use Iron flesh and just hammer away at him two handed. Myself included.

sleepykyo

Mortrialus said:

On that note, what did they ever do? Alvina being a cat kind of explains Sif, but Priscilla didn't seem like a bad person.

Chinpoko_Master said:
Is the Pendant worthless then? I'm starting to wonder why it was recommended by the game's director given I still have no idea what it does.
My official guide says it's
"a trinket with no effect, but can be used to trade"

JVIDICAN

Chinpoko_Master said:
Is the Pendant worthless then? I'm starting to wonder why it was recommended by the game's director given I still have no idea what it does.
If it was supposed to do something meaningful it either got lost in translation or fell victim to unfinished code. Only other reason it could have been recommended along with picking nothing is that both are completely useless and ensure a greater challenge at the games start. :p

redhot_

killertofu said:
Gaping Dragon beat. Blighttown or Darkroot?
When can I get better gear...? I'm pretty tired of this Drake Sword

Blighttown... grab that Laito Katana and make that shit lightning.

I see. It would be awesome if it has a secret use that no-one has figured out yet, but I somehow doubt that. Now it just seems like it was a troll.
JVIDICAN said:
The Old dumb ass manages to get himself locked up again. By the same mob no less.

Most people use Iron flesh and just hammer away at him two handed. Myself included.
That's what I ended up doing, after being chased around in circles by his army of skeleton warriors :(.

JVIDICAN

killertofu said:
Blight town. You could probably take on one of the bosses in darkroot, but the other is meant to be fought later..ish. :p
Have you tried upgrading any weapons?

knitoe

OMG. I got a Titanite Slab to drop from a Darkwraith. It only took about 15 hours of farming. 2 more to finish my Elite Knight Armor Set +10. I wish I realized earlier that pyro +5 & crown of dusk & bellowing dragoncrest ring & great fireball kills a Darkwraith in 1 hit (999 dam).

killertofu said:
You should try farming some moss clumps off of the tree monsters in Darkroot, then go to Blighttown.

Zzoram

Question about Logan at Dukes after buying all his spells

do I have to kill him before he goes evil to get his catalyst or can I kill him while he's still a merchant?

Xanathus

Insaniac said:
Im level 39 in the swamp and i got invaded by some guy who I did NO damage to whatsoever. WTF hax?
Was his shield glowing blue? There's an exploit where a spell makes a person completely invulnerable until it wears off.

sleepykyo

Insaniac said:
Im level 39 in the swamp and i got invaded by some guy who I did NO damage to whatsoever. WTF hax?

Could just be superior armor. As other have noted, the equipment means more than Soul Level.

Zzoram said:
Question about Logan at Dukes after buying all his spells

do I have to kill him before he goes evil to get his catalyst or can I kill him while he's still a merchant?

Kill him after he goes hollow. He eventually shows up in the room where you first faught Seath as a hollow.

Insaniac

sleepykyo said:
Could just be superior armor. As other have noted, the equipment means more than Soul Level.

I could agree to that, but I was using a black knight sword +2 which was about 300 damage onehanded, and when I hit him, (he wasn't block with a shield) I did literally nothing. Not even a number popped up.

edit no he wasn't using great magic shield either

Psy-Phi

Phat Michael said:

I feel your pain. Character would not have had as much Dex as I do now if I had gotten the game now as opposed to prior to street date. Oh well :(. Would have been nice. (that ring...I paid 102k souls to get that thing (
I pissed off Alvina by saying "no" because she sounded terribly frightening to me)
. Had to request Absolution to reset that when I found out that it would be required to leave my beloved Chaos Servants for her little band of thieves in the forest in order to get the ring bearer to show up.

Funny enough, I enjoyed the Forest Covenant more :x and dat ring (
of fog
) so nice for sneaking around. Like the Thief's Ring in Demon's Souls.

Insaniac said:
I could agree to that, but I was using a black knight sword +2 which was about 300 damage onehanded, and when I hit him, (he wasn't block with a shield) I did literally nothing. Not even a number popped up.

edit no he wasn't using great magic shield either
What armor was he wearing? Could it have been something like Paladin Armor +5 which approaches Smough's armor type protection (97 on the chest), with a combination of Ring of Steel Protection perhaps?

Aselith

Mortrialus said:
The catacombs. There is an area where you can drop off a ledge to pick one up. You can also forge one from Priscilla's soul, though why you'd ever kill such a beautiful creature is beyond me.

She's a half-breed. Gross, kill it with fire!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Final thoughts of the game from those who finished the game, especially how the later parts felt rushed, are disheartening.

I'd like to blame Namco, mostly because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom