• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

Mortrialus said:
Killing Priscilla should immediately put one to the top of the Book of the Guilty.

Who is she the crossbreed of? I'm guessing one of the parents must have been
Seath
(lol).

KAOz

Short bus special
Zzoram said:
So wtf. How do I progress in the crystal cave, I can't find the way down past the first butterfly

Invisible bridges. :D

Watch where the snowflakes are falling, and where they hit something in midair. Or use a guide. Seriously.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Mortrialus said:
Not only that, only two of the covenants feel finished.
:(

But to be completely fair, the game had a two year dev cylce, maybe a little more, and was self-published by From in Japan. So I'm not sure how much control, pressure, or budget management Namco had over the project in a situation like this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Jinfash said:
Final thoughts of those who finished the game, especially how the later parts felt rushed, are disheartening.

I'd like to blame Namco, mostly because.
I have had no issues with the later parts of the game, they felt like final area's to me.

Only thing that irks me is that grave lord got messed up.

Americanmushroom said:
for me this level is the shittiest in the game. couldn't figure it out myself...
One of my favorite levels, then again I always had 99 prism stones on me at all times.

sleepykyo

Jinfash said:
:(

But to be completely fair, the game had a two year dev cylce, maybe a little more, and was self-published by From in Japan. So I'm not sure how much control, pressure, or budget management Namco had over the project in a situation like this.

I rather just blame Namco anyway. Losing dedicated servers, more 2-2 world performance and less responsive controls is quite a bit of step back.

Zzoram

I think I figured out the control thing. Sometimes when holding your shield up, the R1 attack command ends up queuing up instead of executing when you press it. When you release the shield it then executes the queued attack. It doesn't always happen but I've noticed that every time it does, I was holding my shield up.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
sleepykyo said:
I rather just blame Namco anyway. Losing dedicated servers, more 2-2 world performance and less responsive controls is quite a bit of step back.
What's with the dedicated server complaints? I never dabbled in Demon's MP, neither understood how From developed the back-end, same with Dark Souls. So I don't exactly under the changes made to the servers.

Aselith

Zzoram said:
I think I figured out the control thing. Sometimes when holding your shield up, the R1 attack command ends up queuing up instead of executing when you press it. When you release the shield it then executes the queued attack. It doesn't always happen but I've noticed that every time it does, I was holding my shield up.

That's true. Get a shield that has a shield bash like the Eagle Shield or the Tower Shield and hold L1 then hit L2 while still holding L1. Regardless of how long you hold L1, it will execute the attack as soon as you let go L1.

shidoshi said:
Fixed. Screw From for making me kill her!

Chaos Witch Quelaag is a complete monster that kidnaps and tortures innocents by laying eggs in them, which then hatch and consume the host alive. She is basically a giant wasp, and I fucking hate wasps. .

Priscilla on the other hand, is a kindhearted souls he never hurt anyone and politely tells you how to free yourself from the Painted World.

Aselith

Mortrialus said:
Priscilla on the other hand, is a kindhearted souls he never hurt anyone and politely tells you how to free yourself from the Painted World.

Nah, she's hiding something. Kill first and ask questions later is my solution for the Priscilla problem.

Oh my god, NG+ Capra Demon. Feels like I can't move around at all. I have fantastic equipment and have been breezing through everything but this arena is just crazy for a fight like this. Argh!

Edit: Okay, any tips? I just keep getting oneshot even while trying to dodge. I'm wearing pretty good armor with high Poise but it doesn't seem to be helping one bit.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I just cheesed him with Iron Flesh instead. I feel dirty :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Mortrialus said:
Chaos Witch Quelaag is a complete monster that kidnaps and tortures innocents by laying eggs in them, which then hatch and consume the host alive. She is basically a giant wasp, and I fucking hate wasps. .

She was giving me a tough time last night, so I did some googling and discovered that I don't even have to fight her, as she's basically showing me the way.

I blame greed; I was muttering "taaail, taaail" while frothing like a zombie as soon as I entered her chambers.

overcast said:
Any tips to defeat the Sif? I'm a warrior and I'm using a Zweihander (+7).
Do you have enough stamina to handle his double swing attack?

If so, stay really close and when you see him go for a swing roll towards him and go to town on his stomach.

Defuser

Aselith said:
Nah, she's hiding something. Kill first and ask questions later is my solution for the Priscilla problem.
To me is all bosses have no benefit of being alive.As long as there is a lifebar at the bottom screen it's killin time!

Defuser said:
To me is all bosses have no benefit of being alive.As long as there is a lifebar at the bottom screen it's killin time!

Priscilla's health bar doesn't show up until after you first attack her.

linko9

Mortrialus said:
Priscilla's health bar doesn't show up until after you first attack her.

Oh it's there... it's just invisible. That'll teach her to withdraw from a society that hates her.

Soulhouf

Okay FROM, thank you for this super painful level called Lost Izalith. I know it's a kind of ruined city flooded in lava but still.
You basically spend about 3 hours slaying like 30 huge demons in a vast lake of lava where you constantly loose your HP and it's difficult to move.
Seriously, is this stage meant to be a revenge of the game designers on the player or what? It's not very difficult bu too painful and annoying. The level design is shitty and you fight many copies of the same enemy over and over.
Now I think of it, Blighttown and Tomb of the Giants are very pleasant(provided you re prepared) and well designed compared to this shit.

*sigh*

Kyoufu

Soulhouf said:
Okay FROM, thank you for this super painful level called Lost Izalith. I know it's a kind of ruined city flooded in lava but still.
You basically spend about 3 hours slaying like 30 huge demons in a vast lake of lava where you constantly loose your HP and it's difficult to move.
Seriously, is this stage meant to be a revenge of the game designers on the player or what? It's not very difficult bu too painful and annoying. The level design is shitty and you fight many copies of the same enemy over and over.
Now I think of it, Blighttown and Tomb of the Giants are very pleasant(provided you re prepared), well designed compared to this shit.

*sigh*

You don't have to fight everything.

Carcetti

Whee, I just made a darkwraith sorceress character to actually PvP a bit. Now the problem is that since I haven't interacted much with other players so far, i have no idea where to go for proper level pvp. I'm now soul level 41. Any ideas? I know cat covenant people have attacked me few times int he forest but no idea if I can get back at them with the Red Eye Orb.

(also, I'm probably going to die when I invade. I'm not very geared, got Hollow Soldier Shield I like plus my trusty Moonlight Butterfly Horn and that's it.)

Doomshine

Zzoram said:
I figured it was something like this, but why do this when I can attack with the shield up anyway? I don't remember having this problem in Demon's Souls and it got me killed last night while fighting a black knight :/

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Doomshine said:
I figured it was something like this, but why do this when I can attack with the shield up anyway? I don't remember having this problem in Demon's Souls and it got me killed last night while fighting a black knight :/

This happens to me a lot in Blighttown. Another reason why this is hands down the worst DS area. I'm stuck in that crap again. :D

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
OMG what the fuck is it with the invasions today?? 3 times in like an hour and every one of them was probably half the soul level i am and just died like morons in 4 hits. Hope it was worth the orbs

Saargabath said:
use a shield, block, get close, attack

You don't need a shield at all. Get a slash weapon, roll under him, hit him hard.
If you're a magic user: Iron Flesh and then toast him. But he is weak against melee especially slash weapons/bleeding.

IrishNinja

Gr1mLock said:
OMG what the fuck is it with the invasions today?? 3 times in like an hour and every one of them was probably half the soul level i am and just died like morons in 4 hits. Hope it was worth the orbs

SINNER

I really need a decent str weapon.. been using Nitos+4 as everythng else feels sluggish like the black knights 2hander and so on. I did want to use Sifs sword (cursed?) but I need about 11 soul levels in magic stats to be able to use it. Not to mention I need about a billion bloody chunks to get some other weapons to +10 :(

IrishNinja

you know...this grass crest shield is nice, but it doesnt even protect 100 to damage, i think. im sure i can find that ring for stamina regen if anything - what's a good shield for a dex build? trying to stay light but keep defense up.

Aaron

Johnlenham said:
I really need a decent str weapon.. been using Nitos+4 as everythng else feels sluggish like the black knights 2hander and so on. I did want to use Sifs sword (cursed?) but I need about 11 soul levels in magic stats to be able to use it. Not to mention I need about a billion bloody chunks to get some other weapons to +10 :(
DK Halberd is fast and powerful. Best weapon I've used in the game yet.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
IrishNinja said:
you know...this grass crest shield is nice, but it doesnt even protect 100 to damage, i think. im sure i can find that ring for stamina regen if anything - what's a good shield for a dex build? trying to stay light but keep defense up.

Crest or dragon crest shields.

linko9

IrishNinja said:

Eagle shield (and uprgade it as much as you can.) 100% physical reduction, and really good lightning reduction (75%). Most importantly, the stability gets up to 84, and the thing only weighs 6.0. The problem is poor fire defense, keep a dragon crest shield on hand for when you need fire defense, until you get the black knight shield.

linko9

Gr1mLock said:
I really gotta get around to getting that absolved..

I've been absolved and still get invaded by blue guys from time to time. I don't think absolution does anything for your sin counts. Also, sin does carry over on subsequent playthroughs. You can tell by what Velka's bishop tells you.

bathala

Banned
Getting those diamond lizardS in the Catacombs was pain in the ass. Before u get to them they disappear

SOLUTION

They appear on certain spot. I got to the spot.
Quit
Reload save game.
Voila! There they are

If the other one disappears. Rinse repeat

Trevelyon

Sir Garbageman said:
So where the hell is the Skull Lantern? The Tomb of Giants blows and I don't want to grind levels for the light spell.

Off the top of my head (could be wrong)
it's halfway through TofG, you'll meet an ol' friend or foe, who'll kick you off a certain ledge, you come around in area where there'll be three items, one of which the lantern.

Dever

Banned
Mortrialus said:

I sometimes worry I haven't paid enough attention to this game's story. I really have no clue who Priscilla was or her relation to other characters. Just gotta fill that Lordvessel, because the big snake said so lol. Lift some curse or something.

bathala said:
Getting those diamond lizardS in the Catacombs was pain in the ass. Before u get to them they disappear

SOLUTION

They appear on certain spot. I got to the spot.
Quit
Reload save game.
Voila! There they are

If the other one disappears. Rinse repeat

I gotta try this

Kweh

Ugh I got cursed in the sewers, how do I remove it? I have what I expect, some boss fights near me but I only have half health.

Dever

Banned
Kweh said:
Ugh I got cursed in the sewers, how do I remove it? I have what I expect, some boss fights near me but I only have half health.

You can remove it by using an item. The dude at the Gargoyle church sells them for 3000 souls, and the female merchant near the entrance to the depths sells them for 6000 I believe.

Trevelyon

Kweh said:

6000 souls and the undead merchant in the depths will clear that right up.

Finally got the game yesterday after some debating (paid release prices:/ ). Restarted twice. First time I thought I missed something in the first area (not accessible) second time I was working towards a boss and lost 5 humanities, 2 humanities, and 1 humanity from careless mistakes so I started over (not really logical).

With my current char I died reclaiming again and wanted to get back what I lost... Ended up going to bed really late. Basically the later of in the night it gets, the more mistakes I make. I should know better.

Basically I stockpile humanity so I can kindle my current fire to max in one go because I don't want to get cheesed by lowbie hunters with lightning weapons and end game gear. However, I still die, losing my humanity before I do anything. Everytime. This game hurts my soul:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom